Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXIV-249,437 ROI(4,906 deaths) 120,195 NI (2,145 deaths)(01/05)Read OP

Options

Comments

Messi19 wrote: »
    Emma O'Kelly did a piece on the news showing that in most cases there were deemed to be no close contacts in most school cases pre Christmas. Clearly they don't treat school cases the same as everywhere else so the clear data is as clear as mud

25 tests per school where contact tracing was carried out last week.

Can argue about what was happening before Christmas, but current data suggests tracing is significant.

Seasonality doesn’t exist.
    Natural immunity didn’t make a difference in Brazil.
    Ireland doesn’t test asymptomatic people.

Yes we do

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭Hooked

But doesn’t that require you to have a public services card which means a face to face interview with someone from social welfare to verify you are who you are. Despite the fact that someone may already have a passport and a drivers licence and a PPSN and have been paying tax here for decades.

Yep! A public services card that cannot be got at the moment, as all face to face meetings are ‘postponed’. But you can walk into a coffee shop, Aldi, Halfords, etc..

So I can’t renew my drivers licence online... I have to go to an RSA centre - as I can’t get my hands on the card.

Only in Ireland.

Why don’t we put all the airport passengers into the schools so and they all be fine.

Because that is in anyway relevant how now!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Happydays2020

Hooked wrote: »
    Yep! A public services card that cannot be got at the moment, as all face to face meetings are ‘postponed’. But you can walk into a coffee shop, Aldi, Halfords, etc..

So I can’t renew my drivers licence online... I have to go to an RSA centre - as I can’t get my hands on the card.

Only in Ireland.

It is absolutely ridiculous. Bureaucracy gone mad - in the same boat and cannot renew a licence online unless I have a full My Gov account which requires that face to face meeting for an application for the PPS card.

The answer to all this is that the existing system is not fit for purpose. Far better to have a simple dedicated online system and to ask people to bring identification with them - similar to when we vote. The good vs the perfect.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,473 ✭✭✭prunudo

But doesn’t that require you to have a public services card which means a face to face interview with someone from social welfare to verify you are who you are. Despite the fact that someone may already have a passport and a drivers licence and a PPSN and have been paying tax here for decades.

Tbh, I've no idea whats involved, just making the point that people need to get on top of stuff in advance, all to easy to do nothing and then bitch and moan in 4 weeks time when you can't access a system. Maybe you won't need mygov registration but tbh, it's not bad thing to be signed up to anyway, never know when you may need to avail of any amount of welfare services.
    More and more government services are becoming digitised, rightly or wrongly its the way things are going.

Edit, the extra posts happened as I was typing.
    Can they not do it over the phone, nearly sure I applied online for my card.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭Banana Republic 1

But doesn’t that require you to have a public services card which means a face to face interview with someone from social welfare to verify you are who you are.

Despite the fact that someone may already have a passport and a drivers licence and a PPSN and have been paying tax here for decades. https://psc.gov.ie/how-to-apply/

The system works !

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭darem93

Hooked wrote: »

Only in Ireland.
    In the exact same boat myself with the drivers licence. How they've even put things like this on hold over this virus is just beyond me.

And of course there will be a major backlog whenever they do start issuing them again, so no doubt - just like everything else in this country - it'll be even more months of waiting :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

It is absolutely ridiculous. Bureaucracy gone mad - in the same boat and cannot renew a licence online unless I have a full My Gov account which requires that face to face meeting for an application for the PPS card.
    I know of someone who got their licence extended by 8 months on account of COVID.

Yes we do

Now after 15 months of denial.

• Advertisement

Very interesting paper in bmj. Covid is going to have a compounding effect on the already dysfunctional health system.

https://twitter.com/EricTopol/status/1377413231027744780?s=20

Interesting
    comparable rates of organ dysfunction were found between patients with covid-19 and patients with pneumonia who were discharged from hospital in 2019

is_that_so wrote: »
    I know of someone who got their licence extended by 8 months on account of COVID.

To be fair yes they did for active full licences. But not everyone has one of those, and others like me had ones which had lapsed.

Just to be clear my issue is not with Transport and RSA, it is with Welfare and the public services card. The latter is needed to access many online services and requires a face to face meeting.

Now after 15 months of denial.

Surveillance testing of healthcare workers was ongoing throughout. Meat plants added. A symptomatic contact tracing has been underway since June last

• Registered Users Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

Fr_Dougal wrote: »
    They’ll have to lift some of the restrictions, just a token measure; enough to blame the increase in cases when the schools fully open again.

Yeh.

Meanwhile in France they’re closing schools for 3 weeks. https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-56597319

prunudo wrote: »
    Tbh, I've no idea whats involved, just making the point that people need to get on top of stuff in advance, all to easy to do nothing and then bitch and moan in 4 weeks time when you can't access a system. Maybe you won't need mygov registration but tbh, it's not bad thing to be signed up to anyway, never know when you may need to avail of any amount of welfare services.
    More and more government services are becoming digitised, rightly or wrongly its the way things are going.

Edit, the extra posts happened as I was typing.

No problem with digitised services and Revenue has shown the way with this. Thankfully they did not link their services to Mygov and the PPS card.

I appreciate there are issues with GDPR with the public services card - although reading this https://www.dataprotection.ie/en/news-media/press-releases/dpc-statement-matters-pertaining-public-services-card would not give anyone much confidence.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

prunudo wrote: »
    Not at the moment - have to attend a meeting with ID etc, and you can't book a meeting, just the walk-in, which has reduced hours due to the pandemic.

I, too, wanted it to renew my learner permit - but now instead of paying my 35e to renew online, I've just booked an in-person meeting to go to the driving centre 6km away, having first had to find somewhere to print out an application form, so I can bring them the form for them to copy my (unchanged) details into their system... Decreases the likelihood of some third party maliciously renewing my licence for me, I suppose.
    Parts of the website say only essential workers (not me) can attend, others don't specify, so who knows. Bleh.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,473 ✭✭✭prunudo

Ficheall wrote: »
    Not at the moment - have to attend a meeting with ID etc, and you can't book a meeting, just the walk-in, which has reduced hours due to the pandemic.

I, too, wanted it to renew my learner permit - but now instead of paying my 35e to renew online, I've just booked an in-person meeting to go to the driving centre 6km away, having first had to find somewhere to print out an application form, so I can bring them the form for them to copy my (unchanged) details into their system... Decreases the likelihood of some third party maliciously renewing my licence for me, I suppose.
    Parts of the website say only essential workers (not me) can attend, others don't specify, so who knows. Bleh.

We really do reap what we sow in this country, last few posts just show the disconnect between the people in cushy civil servant jobs who have no idea on how the reality of the rules they make impact people in the real world.

Surveillance testing of healthcare workers was ongoing throughout. Meat plants added. A symptomatic contact tracing has been underway since June last

My mother work in HSE and they were tested once every two weeks that is not sufficient. Also contact tracing only went back three days at most which also is not sufficient.

Yeh.

Meanwhile in France they’re closing schools for 3 weeks. https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-56597319

10% of case in France are showing the South African variant.

More walk-ins opening today and tomorrow.
    They will start operating at locations in Dublin and Meath. Test centres will be operational in counties Kildare, Galway and Dublin from Friday morning.

https://www.rte.ie/news/coronavirus/2021/0331/1207343-covid-test-centres/

• Advertisement

My mother work in HSE and they were tested once every two weeks that is not sufficient. Also contact tracing only went back three days at most which also is not sufficient.

3 days is sufficient to identify if transmission from the index case occurred. If you are looking to identify a symptomatic source of infection, it’s not, however the likelihood is that the source of infection will test negative by the time the index case has been identified

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 199 ✭✭Morries Wigs

They’ll have to lift some of the restrictions, just a token measure; enough to blame the increase in cases when the schools fully open again.

spot on and when the kids bring it back home theyll call it community spreading from people enjoying themselves

10% of case in France are showing the South African variant.

Nope. The B.1.351 and P.1 variants together make up about 5% of French cases and have been pretty stable at that number for a few weeks. They're also heavily clustered in certain areas compared to B.1.1.7 which is on the ascendancy nationwide.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 199 ✭✭Morries Wigs

Hardyn wrote: »
    Nope. The B.1.351 and P.1 variants together make up about 5% of French cases and have been pretty stable at that number for a few weeks. They're also heavily clustered in certain areas compared to B.1.1.7 which is on the ascendancy nationwide.

Nice pwn

J&J SNAFU in the US - 15m doses wasted.

Workers at a plant in Baltimore in the United States manufacturing two coronavirus vaccines accidentally conflated the ingredients several weeks ago, contaminating as many as 15 million doses of Johnson & Johnson’s vaccine and forcing regulators to delay authorisation of the plant’s production lines.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/world/us/millions-of-johnson-johnson-vaccines-ruined-in-us-factory-mix-up-1.4525551

If you are looking to identify a symptomatic source of infection, it’s not,

Which is the exact point I raised.
    3 days is sufficient to identify if transmission from the index case occurred.

If you want to close the case file quickly it is. Every country that goes back 14 days is wasting there time in that case so, if only they copied Ireland...

Hardyn wrote: »

You stick to that line so

• Registered Users Posts: 15,374 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

is_that_so wrote: »

Hopefully that doesnt affect us too much

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Shouldn't affect us at all as no vaccines are exported from the US. Though there were rumours that some batches would have to be sent to the US to be "finished" before arriving back in the EU, so I don't know if J&J will take them to replenish US stocks instead.

• Advertisement

Vicxas wrote: »
    Hopefully that doesnt affect us too much
    Seems to be US deliveries only, the EU exports are not affected by this. We'll also be getting it from the Netherlands.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement