Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXIV-249,437 ROI(4,906 deaths) 120,195 NI (2,145 deaths)(01/05)Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭Sobit1964

Amazing difference between the UK/Ireland and the rest of the continent.

While the continent is getting hammered with the third wave, its getting ever more difficult to persuade and find people willing to be vaccinated. Poland [current plague capital of the EU] opened registration for 40+ year olds today as the 60+ group had slowed down so much. Similar stories in Germany and France.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Sobit1964 wrote: »
    Amazing difference between the UK/Ireland and the rest of the continent.

While the continent is getting hammered with the third wave, its getting ever more difficult to persuade and find people willing to be vaccinated. Poland [current plague capital of the EU] opened registration for 40+ year olds today as the 60+ group had slowed down so much. Similar stories in Germany and France.
    There may be a case in some countries to invert the age groups, by targeting the most active groups socially.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭timsey tiger

is_that_so wrote: »
    Seems to be US deliveries only, the EU exports are not affected by this. We'll also be getting it from the Netherlands.

Well, we'll see. Will it transpire that EU production will be diverted to cover US shortfall, like AZ did for the UK? I wouldn't be surprised, they all know that Useless Van Del Leyen won't stop them and Biden has made promises.

I suspect the pharma industry muscled in of MM and other leaders (with large pharma sectors) to stop the EU export ban.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭CoronaBlocker

Question: My neighbour says her 3 year old had a classmate in creche test positive. That kid was taken out (of creche) but now her own three year old has a runny nose. What exactly is protocol there for my neighbour and her kid? Does she need to isolate and get tests done? Is this where they say school kids aren't close contacts and don't need to isolate/be tested?

I don't have kids so only half-listened to that bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

Question: My neighbour says her 3 year old had a classmate in creche test positive. That kid was taken out (of creche) but now her own three year old has a runny nose. What exactly is protocol there for my neighbour and her kid? Does she need to isolate and get tests done? Is this where they say school kids aren't close contacts and don't need to isolate/be tested?

I don't have kids so only half-listened to that bit.
    She rings her gp straight away and let them decide.

To thine own self be true

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭CoronaBlocker

She rings her gp straight away and let them decide.

Ahh good. I suggested that as a course of action just in case so am happy with that then. Just wasn't really sure because you hear a lot about schools, close-contacts and not being... so on and so forth, but I normally tune out as I said. Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

Interesting

Very interesting but remember not everyone admitted to hospital for covid19 in the study had pneumonia.

What's the disease burden from pneumonia compared to covid19?

I think the paper shows there is there are a lot more people now who have these conditions and will continue to be a burden on the already dysfunctional health system.

https://twitter.com/Dr2NisreenAlwan/status/1377566549666627585?s=20

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Tyrone212

Tyrone212 wrote: »
    When they say 80% of the population vaccinated by the end of June. Do they mean 80% of adults or 80% of the entire population?

Anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭Timmy O Toole

Anyone?

Michael Martin said all over 70s will be vaccinated in 7-8 weeks time, in the same speech he said 80% of the population will be offered a vaccine by June. Makes no sense

• Registered Users Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭timsey tiger

Anyone?

Has to be adults, otherwise you'd need practically 100% of adults vaccinated to make up 80% overall, if you even could. Got to be close ot 20% of pop. under 18.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

Michael Martin said all over 70s will be vaccinated in 7-8 weeks time, in the same speech he said 80% of the population will be offered a vaccine by June. Makes no sense

Read carefully

will be offered a vaccine by June.

Doesn't say received, classic PR machine at work, careful wording which most will read in a more positive way. It really means we will have scheduled 80% of the appointments to get vaccinated

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,421 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

It’s 80% of adults by end of June. Not fully vaccinated, offered 1 dose (at least).

The projection for the over 70s refers to fully vaccinated and reflects the supply constraints at the minute which will be addressed for Q2.

We won’t have any more weeks with less than 100k vaccines administered. Until now we’ve had 2 weeks with over 100k vaccines administered.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Tyrone212

Thanks. I thought as much but was hoping otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,925 ✭✭✭Sweet.Science

Not sure . I've been on here regularly saying contact tracing for creches and schools are intentionally going by different rules than others

The HSE are due to call me within 2 days . Will be interesting if they are close contacts

So to update on this . Got a call from contact tracing . They asked where my daughter had been in the last 7 days . I said the house creche and on walks . They took close contacts off me but the creche workers and kids weren't included

The creche have contacted the HSE directly now for advice

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭Banana Republic 1

Anyone?

Adults

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭Banana Republic 1

So to update on this . Got a call from contact tracing . They asked where my daughter had been in the last 7 days . I said the house creche and on walks . They took close contacts off me but the creche workers and kids weren't included

That say to me that there separating / padding the figures

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭corkonion

marno21 wrote: »
    It’s 80% of adults by end of June. Not fully vaccinated, offered 1 dose (at least).

The projection for the over 70s refers to fully vaccinated and reflects the supply constraints at the minute which will be addressed for Q2.

We won’t have any more weeks with less than 100k vaccines administered. Until now we’ve had 2 weeks with over 100k vaccines administered.

Very easy to achieve this, I fully expect a phone call by June offering me a vaccination in August or September

Big news to be released today regarding the vaccine in the Coombe scandal. Potential resignation/resignations (not involving the master by the way).

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

Is there a reason why creche workers and kids weren't included?

I think this is happening in workplaces as well. I know of a large workplace with no close contacts, even though the definition of a close contact includes sharing a space for two hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,925 ✭✭✭Sweet.Science

Is there a reason why creche workers and kids weren't included?

I think this is happening in workplaces as well. I know of a large workplace with no close contacts, even though the definition of a close contact includes sharing a space for two hours.

No idea . The lady who took our swabs said it's absolutely rampant in children at the moment . It's mostly kids getting swabs now

Probably why our cases are high and hospital numbers still coming down

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭funnydoggy

No idea . The lady who took our swabs said it's absolutely rampant in children at the moment . It's mostly kids getting swabs now

Hadn't even thought of that playing a part!

• Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭PmMeUrDogs

Big news to be released today regarding the vaccine in the Coombe scandal. Potential resignation/resignations (not involving the master by the way).

The Coombe? Was there one there too, or is it about the Beacon?

PmMeUrDogs wrote: »
    The Coombe? Was there one there too, or is it about the Beacon?

It was found out secondary to the investigation into the original vaccine scandal at the Coombe (and to be fair, it is criminal in nature).

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭JP100

Newstalk now reporting that Norma Foley is pushing for schools to remain open until mid July in order to gain back some of the lost school hours this year. July Provision to run concurrently after that.

Just joking! Happy April Fools Day everyone!

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭Messi19

JP100 wrote: »
    Newstalk now reporting that Norma Foley is pushing for schools to remain open until mid July in order to gain back some of the lost school hours this year. July Provision to run concurrently after that.

Norma can f**k off

• Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭Sammy2012

April fools

• Registered Users Posts: 12,657 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

This makes perfect sense but you can guarantee the Teacher's Unions won't allow it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

So children aren't being identified as close contacts when they could be. Send those kids home, pass it onto parents and let the whole thing spread. Jesus Christ.

Anyways, hope you and your kid feel better soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭Sammy2012

AdamD wrote: »
    This makes perfect sense but you can guarantee the Teacher's Unions won't allow it.

And dead right too! I worked my ass off in Jan and Feb with online learning and my kids will not have missed anything by the time the holidays roll around in June. As a side note I have a stay cation booked and my kids are booked into summer camps in July so Norma can f right off! Id have happily worked back the 3 days this week that are there for exceptional closure but no way will I be working in July

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,497 ✭✭✭celt262

Sammy2012 wrote: »
    And dead right too! I worked my ass off in Jan and Feb with online learning and my kids will not have missed anything by the time the holidays roll around in June. As a side note I have a stay cation booked and my kids are booked into summer camps in July so Norma can f right off! Id have happily worked back the 3 days this week that are there for exceptional closure but no way will I be working in Julu.

:pac::pac::pac::pac::pac:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement