Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXIV-249,437 ROI(4,906 deaths) 120,195 NI (2,145 deaths)(01/05)Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,088 ✭✭✭pauldry

Yeah it will be high today and therell be a media frenzy.

:mad:

They should say 750 new cases today but of tests over 97% negative!

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Arturo Delgado

Lucas Hood wrote: »
    553 positive swabs, 2.83% positivity on 19,535 tests.
    7 day test positivity is 3.2%.

Probably looking at 700ish cases tonight though considering cases were a lot lower than swabs yesterday.

It doesn't matter how many cases there are, hospital cases are falling consistently, which means we're not seeing these cases being serious. So, to me that means the vaccination of the top tier vulnerable, is working, they are not catching it. If NPHET don't highlight the positives in that, they should take a back seat.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Number of swabs was only 11 higher than the number for the week before. The number of cases was issued earlier than normal, quite possible that some of the case number data is missing from yesterdays total.

Nah, the actual numbers get issued by the HPSC between 09:00-10:00 most days (covers up to midnight). The timing of them being communicated to the media and the public in the afternoon doesn't impact them.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

274 in hospital and 63 in ICU.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭timsey tiger

It doesn't matter how many cases there are, hospital cases are falling consistently, which means we're not seeing these cases being serious. So, to me that means the vaccination of the top tier vulnerable, is working, they are not catching it. If NPHET don't highlight the positives in that, they should take a back seat.

It still matters, since high numbers even in the more resistent cohorts eventually spill over into the more at risk groups. Obviously as the vaccines roll out this becomes more of an issue, but we're hardly there yet.

• Advertisement

Amirani wrote: »
    Nah, the actual numbers get issued by the HPSC between 09:00-10:00 most days (covers up to midnight). The timing of them being communicated to the media and the public in the afternoon doesn't impact them.

Thanks, I did not know that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,925 ✭✭✭Sweet.Science

AdamD wrote: »
    But if they have a larger margin for error than normal testing I'm not sure how useful this is? If you've 80,000 people with a decent margin for error you could easily be letting people into the stadium with false negatives

Most of the population will be vaccinated by the end of the summer. There will be increased scope for error . This will just be an extra security blanket thrown on top

• Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭jammiedodgers

Sorry if it's been asked and answered already, but is there any data on positivity rate from the walk in centres alone?

Well, we'll see. Will it transpire that EU production will be diverted to cover US shortfall, like AZ did for the UK? I wouldn't be surprised, they all know that Useless Van Del Leyen won't stop them and Biden has made promises.

I suspect the pharma industry muscled in of MM and other leaders (with large pharma sectors) to stop the EU export ban.
    One really doesn't muscle in on the EU, they can do as suits them when it suits them. Talk them down on this sure.

The J&J story is more about US delays, but not necessarily by that much. The single shot makes it less of a problem anyway. They will use US facilities and Merck are also going to help. I don't think you can compare the shambles of an absolute newbie with setbacks like this for established vaccine makers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,672 ✭✭✭ElTel

Sorry if it's been asked and answered already, but is there any data on positivity rate from the walk in centres alone?

3% positivity from 14k tested.
    George Lee said 5% positivity in the 15-24 age group I think as well.

Hopefully not waiting too long on their close contact numbers and ststs.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,138 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

is_that_so wrote: »
    One really doesn't muscle in on the EU, they can do as suits them when it suits them. Talk them down on this sure.

The J&J story is more about US delays, but not necessarily by that much. The single shot makes it less of a problem anyway. They will use US facilities and Merck are also going to help. I don't think you can compare the shambles of an absolute newbie with setbacks like this for established vaccine makers.

Not directly if they are united, however it is easy to divide them. Just get the pharma industry to have a word with the likes of MM and all of a sudden Ireland is against any sort of export restriction and interference with international contracts, spouting absolutely laughable worries about international supply chains.

Remote learning survey - not terribly surprising results TBH.
    More than half of 12-year-olds and 22-year-old students who took part in a recent study experienced difficulties with remote learning during the pandemic.
    https://www.rte.ie/news/coronavirus/2021/0326/1206327-remote-learning-survey/

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭outsourced_ire

761 new cases - 18 additional deaths.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,269 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Backlog cleared so based on my rough look at the numbers

• Registered Users Posts: 2,068 ✭✭✭blowitupref

Yes a lot of yesterdays cases added into todays total.

7-day average in 556 it was 569 last Thursday.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,114 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

That’s the Easter frighner done

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

The backlog needs to completely fcuk off at this stage

Via Laura on Reddit Ireland, today's data

New cases: 761
    Denotified cases: 15
    Total cases: 236,000
    New deaths: 18
    Denotified deaths: 0
    Total deaths: 4,705

Of the 18 mortalaties reported today
    • 11 occurred in March
    • 7 occurred in February
    • Median age: 81
    • Age range: 59-95
    Of the 761 cases notified today
    • Male: 383
    • Female: 373
    • Under 45 years old: 538 (62%)
    • Median age: 33
    • Dublin: 372
    • Meath: 55
    • Cork: 43
    • Kildare: 40
    • Offaly: 38
    • Remaining 213 cases spread across 19 other counties
    Vaccination Numbers - Up to Monday 29th March
    • Total doses: 809,676 (+13,135)
    • First dose: 590,688 (+9,831)
    • Second: 228,988 (+3,304)

Hospital stats as of 8 am today
    • Hospitalised: 274 (-23)
    • ICU: 63 (-4)
    • New admissions past 24 hours: 18

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭TheDoctor

What’s the swab data for today.

I’m too lazy to flick through pages

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭cheezums

TheDoctor wrote: »

• Registered Users Posts: 86,761 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

RIP

How have we still backlogs after a year :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭BlondeBomb

553 positive swabs, 2.83% positivity on 19,535 tests.
    7 day test positivity is 3.2%.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭funnydoggy

I love your honesty :D

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    RIP

How have we still backlogs after a year :confused:

If there are lab results at 11pm on Monday, there's not going to be public health doctors checking an validating them until the Tuesday. Hence they'll be in the Monday swabs and Tuesday cases and will be part of a "backlog".

There's never going to be complete alignment because they're counting different things. "Backlog" is the wrong term to be using in this context, but it's sort of stuck. It made sense in early Jan etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭cheezums

i mean the daily swab data is there every single day. why the hell don't they just report that? daily cases is meaningless and as today has shown, gives an entirely different message.

cheezums wrote: »
    i mean the daily swab data is there every single day. why the hell don't they just report that? daily cases is meaningless and as today has shown, gives an entirely different message.

Were you complaining yesterday as well?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭funnydoggy

cheezums wrote: »

One could go conspiracy about it, but tbh it just seems simpler for the majority of people.

Instead of using swab data, positivity rate etc. they can just say X cases, Y deaths.

I could be wrong and there could be actual justification for it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 86,761 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Dessie Farrell suspended

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement