Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXIV-249,437 ROI(4,906 deaths) 120,195 NI (2,145 deaths)(01/05)Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭funnydoggy

Good post by reddit user oisin1001

https://www.reddit.com/r/ireland/comments/mhyygc/i_hope_the_government_sticks_to_simple_and_clear/
    I hope the government sticks to simple and clear graphics like this when it comes to keeping people informed about the vaccine rollout

I think there's a big change in messaging happening with the Government re. COVID public service announcements, which I think is definitely a good thing. I took this graphic from this sponsored post on TheJournal. It's pretty simple (it isn't clear if this just represents 1st doses or if there'll be overlap between groups 2 and 3), but I think that's needed.

I heard a PSA on the radio this morning about we'll have the over-70s well-covered by mid-May. Think this kind of thing is much better than the "stay at home" messages we've been getting for nearly a year.

Too many people think there's no end in sight anymore, which just isn't the case like

5lzs2hfb8lq61.png

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭CoronaBlocker

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Dessie Farrell suspended

So what? They'll still win. Hashtag-seventh-heaven

• Registered Users Posts: 12,114 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Dessie Farrell suspended

He’ll be sacked I imagine

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭irishguy1983

ShineOn7 wrote: »
    The backlog needs to completely fcuk off at this stage

Via Laura on Reddit Ireland, today's data

New cases: 761
    Denotified cases: 15
    Total cases: 236,000
    New deaths: 18
    Denotified deaths: 0
    Total deaths: 4,705

Of the 18 mortalaties reported today
    • 11 occurred in March
    • 7 occurred in February
    • Median age: 81
    • Age range: 59-95
    Of the 761 cases notified today
    • Male: 383
    • Female: 373
    • Under 45 years old: 538 (62%)
    • Median age: 33
    • Dublin: 372
    • Meath: 55
    • Cork: 43
    • Kildare: 40
    • Offaly: 38
    • Remaining 213 cases spread across 19 other counties
    Vaccination Numbers - Up to Monday 29th March
    • Total doses: 809,676 (+13,135)
    • First dose: 590,688 (+9,831)
    • Second: 228,988 (+3,304)

Hospital stats as of 8 am today
    • Hospitalised: 274 (-23)
    • ICU: 63 (-4)
    • New admissions past 24 hours: 18

274???!!!! WOW! That must be lowest in a long time! Great stuff...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

Nqp15hhu wrote: »
    Only 107 cases in NI, positivity rate of 0.89%.

Vaccines work

They do

But smallpox is the only human disease that has been successfully eradicated

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 86,761 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

So what? They'll still win. Hashtag-seventh-heaven

Maybe Dublin will be kicked out, give other counties a chance :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,068 ✭✭✭blowitupref

274???!!!! WOW! That must be lowest in a long time! Great stuff...
    Lowest since December 26th.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭CoronaBlocker

Might be the only way to ever beat us again!
    UpThe Dubs ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 86,761 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I wish everyone a safe happy enjoyable Easter weekend, take care

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭Banana Republic 1

RIP

How have we still backlogs after a year :confused:

Ah they only after opening the walk in centres and they’ve only had a year to prepare give em a break..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭irishguy1983

Lowest since December 26th.

Cheers - seems quite significant to me but maybe not....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭SortingYouOut

gctest50 wrote: »
    They do

Luckily we're not aiming to eradicate Covid, as it would be near impossible. Unfortunately we haven't eradicated smallpox either but we have made it a non issue, which Covid will soon become. Smallpox can still resurge, so we still keep an eye.

Beverly Hills, California

• Registered Users Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

funnydoggy wrote: »
    Well, it certainly allows people more optimism than something like this (blue bits number of vaccinations actually administered - just done by numbers, rather than division through groups).
    I'm sure there's a more recent graph somewhere, either with the increasingly tempered expectations or the highly optimistic quantities promised in recent days, but this one (from January) is easy to colour in and gives an idea of the number of people in the various cohorts (or, at least, I had assumed the yellow bars were equal.. Maybe that was foolish..)...

548925.png

• Registered Users Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭Sanjuro

gctest50 wrote: »
    They do

Jesus christ. :rolleyes: Spanish flu is still knocking about but nobody gives it a second thought. Eradication is not the goal.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,886 ✭✭✭✭Roger_007

Luckily we're not aiming to eradicate Covid, as it would be near impossible. Unfortunately we haven't eradicated smallpox either but we have made it a non issue, which Covid will soon become. Smallpox can still resurge, so we still keep an eye.

Smallpox has been effectively eradicated. There are samples of the virus held in two locked vaults, one in USA and one in Russia. Otherwise there have been no cases reported anywhere in the world in the last 40 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,448 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

Ficheall wrote: »
    Well, it certainly allows people more optimism than something like this (blue bits number of vaccinations actually administered - just done by numbers, rather than division through groups).
    I'm sure there's a more recent graph somewhere, either with the increasingly tempered expectations or the highly optimistic quantities promised in recent days, but this one (from January) is easy to colour in and gives an idea of the number of people in the various cohorts (or, at least, I had assumed the yellow bars were equal.. Maybe that was foolish..)...

548925.png

Am I missing something here?

Are all over 70s vaccinated as per table?

Edit- get it now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭External Association

No one would want to win it with no Dublin, be meaningless.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

Worrying statistic, I wouldn't doubt either. Heard of a few younger people I know struggling with the virus.

https://twitter.com/Dr2NisreenAlwan/status/1377569462749175809

• Registered Users Posts: 7,448 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

wadacrack wrote: »
    Worrying statistic, I wouldn't doubt either. Heard of a few younger people I know struggling with the virus.

So same as most viruses.

So same as most viruses.

Thank you for your contribution... clown!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

So same as most viruses.

What's your smallest % estimate for people infected with covid who will require longer term supports for COVID? Now, consider the number of people actually infected and those that could yet be infected.

This isn't rocket science. Post viral covid symptoms may even be less likely than other viruses to which you are referring. However, the trouble is just about the entire population is susceptible to COVID. Few other viruses have that going for them.

I really find it difficult to understand why people are so dismissive of the potential burden of long COVID. Even a 1,000 people requiring these supports will have significant knock back on the health service availability to everyone else.

I really wonder about what passes for journalism in Ireland. The take on this latest Barney between cov and Donnelly on Rte is not what the killer bees could do to the country but the personality clash between ministers.

The anti quarantine wing of the government are saying is that the can’t upset the tourists and student but they can lockdown the citizens of this state instead

• Registered Users Posts: 18,302 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

I presume Israel being on the list is an April Fools joke.

wadacrack wrote: »

Yes, but replace deaths with long Covid and it still changes the equation that justifies restrictions. It’s rational to substantially restrict economic activity if the other side of the equation is Covid deaths. Not if what is on the other side if it is long Covid

People like this are completely oblivious to that reality

namloc1980 wrote: »

This list is actually a joke, right? Israel?!

But dammit, Aruba is nice, right? Would have been a good vacation spot

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

namloc1980 wrote: »

Hard to really know. Israel have an excellent vaccination program but it's also heavily segregated. Would love to see if they've published official rationale behind each of those countries listed and what exactly is given for Israel's inclusion.

Then I'd love to see what the unofficial off the record reasoning is. :pac:

Yes, but replace deaths with long Covid and it still changes the equation that justifies restrictions. It’s rational to substantially restrict economic activity if the other side of the equation is Covid deaths. Not if what is on the other side if it is long Covid

People like this are completely oblivious to that reality

Says someone who probably hasn’t encountered long covid.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭mcburns07

Turtwig wrote: »
    What's your smallest % estimate for people infected with covid who will require longer term supports for COVID? Now, consider the number of people actually infected and those that could yet be infected.

This isn't rocket science. Post viral covid symptoms may even be less likely than other viruses to which you are referring. However, the trouble is just about the entire population is susceptible to COVID. Few other viruses have that going for them.

I really find it difficult to understand why people are so dismissive of the potential burden of long COVID. Even a 1,000 people requiring these supports will have significant knock back on the health service availability to everyone else.

Do you spend as much time worrying about obesity, drinking culture, mental health, sedentary lifestyles etc etc? There seems to be this perception that the adult population of Ireland was largely fit and healthy both physically and mentally before Covid19. We're going to have huge health problems to contend with in this country over the coming decades. The difference is most of them are caused by things that generate a lot of taxes so there's not much incentive to solve them.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,269 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Hard to really know. Israel have an excellent vaccination program but it's also heavily segregated. Would love to see if they've published official rationale behind each of those countries listed and what exactly is given for Israel's inclusion.

Assuming it's to do with Palestine

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,066 ✭✭✭✭normanoffside

They added Mauritius to the first list despite it having practically no cases because the UK had it on their list (due to a political dispute).

At least now they have removed Mauritius.

Don't assume there is any rationale.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement