Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXIV-249,437 ROI(4,906 deaths) 120,195 NI (2,145 deaths)(01/05)Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭h2005

He explains on a follow up tweet that Israel’s incidence rate is similar to our own. Do we have to quarantine if we’re travelling the other way?

Says someone who probably hasn’t encountered long covid.

That’s irrelevant

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

So same as most viruses.

I wouldn't be so dismissive of this. Its quite ignorant. This virus is only around we dont know the potential long term impact it may hve on people's health. It seems that a cohort of people just want to recognize this and instead feel they need to dismiss it if its brought up. Its bizarre tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

mcburns07 wrote: »
    Do you spend as much time worrying about obesity, drinking culture, mental health, sedentary lifestyles etc etc? There seems to be this perception that the adult population of Ireland was largely fit and healthy both physically and mentally before Covid19. We're going to have huge health problems to contend with in this country over the coming decades. The difference is most of them are caused by things that generate a lot of taxes so there's not much incentive to solve them.

I don't get your point here at all.

Ireland already has a mental health epidemic.
    Alcohol is definitely a problem.
    Obesity is also a problem.

You seem to be saying that because these are problems it's ok to add to another problem such as long COVID and just deal with it?

Which btw I don't even know if long COVID will be a problem. I just find it really strange how dismissive people are of it like it's potentially nothing. That certainty of conviction I find kind of scary.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,647 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

mcburns07 wrote: »
    Do you spend as much time worrying about obesity, drinking culture, mental health, sedentary lifestyles etc etc? There seems to be this perception that the adult population of Ireland was largely fit and healthy both physically and mentally before Covid19. We're going to have huge health problems to contend with in this country over the coming decades. The difference is most of them are caused by things that generate a lot of taxes so there's not much incentive to solve them.

You can add the damage lockdown-driven unemployment will do to plenty of people's mental heath to that list too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭Banana Republic 1

That’s irrelevant

• Registered Users Posts: 10,066 ✭✭✭✭normanoffside

I think the worst one is the Philippines given that so many of our healthcare workers come from there.
    They have the equivalent of 200 cases per day in terms of Irish population.

Donnelly has also said that vaccinated flyers will not be exempt from Hotel quarantine so a lot Filipino nurses who are fully vaccinated and have maybe taken a few weeks off to visit home will now have to take an extra 2 weeks off and pay €2k for the pleasure.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,647 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

Turtwig wrote: »

You seem to be saying that because these are problems it's ok to add to another problem such as long COVID and just deal with it?

Which btw I don't even know if long COVID will be a problem. I just find it really strange how dismissive people are of it like it's potentially nothing. That certainty of conviction I find kind of scary.

It's probably people lashing out at the constant bad news stories. Not that I think ignoring it is helpful, it's just somewhat understandable.

I can can why that tweet earlier in particular would get people riled up to be fair. The article itself mentioned is far more reasonable than the tweet itself. It makes reasonable points. The tweet just oversimplifies things though. "It's not lockdown fatigue" for example. How do they know? Twitter is a fecking plague.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,906 ✭✭✭ebbsy

What were the players supposed to do ? Sit around and wait for the North to bail out these useless ***** down here with vaccines ?

Do you want to point out what part of my post you disagree with?

Like in a normal adult conversation?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,269 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

h2005 wrote: »
    He explains on a follow up tweet that Israel’s incidence rate is similar to our own. Do we have to quarantine if we’re travelling the other way?

Which tweet is this ?

Edit- never mind saw it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭h2005

• Registered Users Posts: 10,859 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

So same as most viruses.

Not really. There are more of them and the impact has repercussions for the health service not seen with most other viruses.

I take it you haven't seen first hand what long covid actually entails.

Jim_Hodge wrote: »
    Not really. There are more of them and the impact has repercussions for the health service not seen with most other viruses.

I take it you haven't seen first hand what long covid actually entails.

Do you think that if we get deaths right down, then long Covid alone is enough to justify ongoing restrictions (with all the impacts on public health that result)?

And if so, what restrictions do you think present an appropriate balance?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,859 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Do you think that if we get deaths right down, then long Covid alone is enough to justify ongoing restrictions (with all the impacts on public health that result)?

And if so, what restrictions do you think present an appropriate balance?

I never said any such thing. Nor did I broach the subject at all. Long Covid is another aspect of Covid, along with severe illness, hospitalisation, ICU requirements and deaths. It is not a stand alone issue. Ongoing restrictions have no part in sorting the issues for those already suffering long covid but they do have a part to play in preventing it along with the other impacts of covid.

The point is that long covid has greater implications than the Post-Acute Sequelae of most other viruses, and is more severe and debilitating- which is contrary to the off hand glib comment in reply to a post on long covid.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭Maxface

I don't keep track of posters but there was momentum for a long time towards control at airports. Me included to be honest. The feeling was that we are doing our bit and planes are still flying in etc. That feeling seems to have changed towards outrage that the Government are asking those coming in to isolate. Emotions I know are fast moving but seems a strange segway. Either we want control at airports and it is what it is or we just want to be outraged about no control at airports? Odd enough to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭Timmy O Toole

The new variants cause extra long covid.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,820 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

Turtwig wrote: »

It's like some people are trapped within their own narrative denying Covid, then denying there was any surges in infection until they actually knew people who were sick with it, and case numbers and deaths were stacking up.
    And now these people deny long Covid because that would mean they have to admit that they have been " in denial" all along.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,909 ✭✭✭Dickie10

with antigen testing electric picnic may still go ahead

• Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭What Username Guidelines

Goldengirl wrote: »
    It's like some people are trapped within their own narrative denying Covid, then denying there was any surges in infection until they actually knew people who were sick with it, and case numbers and deaths were stacking up.
    And now these people deny long Covid because that would mean they have to admit that they have been " in denial" all along.

Spot on, I've found over the last year that the ones that are so quick to label people doom mongers for even wanting to discuss possibilities, are the ones that are basically sticking their fingers in their ears saying "lalalalalala". It's easy to just thinly veil it in "but think of the economy". When the reality is that it's incredibly complex issue that isn't just binary, and discussing long covid or agreeing with measures does not equal an opinion of "lock up forever."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭TheDoctor

Hospital numbers at 8pm

Total 255 (down from 272 last night)
    ICU 61 (down from 64 last night - 1 death)

Drop of 76 since 8am Monday morning (331)
    Lowest 8pm total now since 23rd December (253)

Last Thursday
    Total 308
    ICU 75

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

TheDoctor wrote: »
    Hospital numbers at 8pm

Lowest 8pm total now since 23rd December.

Last Thursday
    Total 308
    ICU 75

Great progress

• Registered Users Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭Cork2021

Hospital numbers at 8pm

Last Thursday
    Total 308
    ICU 75

Excellent sub 200 by middle of next week hopefully

• Registered Users Posts: 5,856 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

Hospital numbers at 8pm

Last Thursday
    Total 308
    ICU 75

Seems to be back on the downward trend!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,820 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

Spot on, I've found over the last year that the ones that are so quick to label people doom mongers for even wanting to discuss possibilities, are the ones that are basically sticking their fingers in their ears saying "lalalalalala". It's easy to just thinly veil it in "but think of the economy". When the reality is that it's incredibly complex issue that isn't just binary, and discussing long covid or agreeing with measures does not equal an opinion of "lock up forever."

Yes. Was going to use the same description with the fingers in the ears but glad you did instead! :)
    But we are the ones apparently afraid to do anything except hide behind the sofa!
    I think most people have been realistic and have met this head on and said " can't control this, but what can I do other than run away and hide?" , and have dealt with it through trying to understand the science / numbers / best way to help themselves and their families.
    But it goes to show everyone deals with a crisis differently, for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,857 ✭✭✭Polar101

namloc1980 wrote: »
    I presume Israel being on the list is an April Fools joke.

Big blow for all the direct flights from Wallis and Futuna Islands.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,421 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Could be a sluggish weekend regarding hospital numbers with Good Friday tomorrow and the Bank Holiday Monday. In case people are disappointed

Absolutely fantastic numbers this week though

• Registered Users Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭Cork2021

marno21 wrote: »
    Could be a sluggish weekend regarding hospital numbers with Good Friday tomorrow and the Bank Holiday Monday. In case people are disappointed

Absolutely fantastic numbers this week though

They need to remember they’re not banks! Should be a normal working day like it is for the majority. This good Friday closing crack was done with I thought

• Registered Users Posts: 3,909 ✭✭✭Dickie10

brilliant numbers, shows just how effective the vaccine is. NYPHEt are correct though if we keep this thing tight til mid may were almost out the door. no point in letting it blow up now, when nearly there, like get 70% vaxxed its over. look at numbers in hosptial now and still very few vaxxed. I think we can see now just how good the one shot is at keeping covid at bay. like roads have been busy the last month, mothers day, paddys day and were not seeing anything , plus there testing like crazy and getting very little cases. this thing is almost at an end for us. literally keep going 6 more weeks and we will be having tiny numbers in hospitals , look at north. only 150 cases today, no deaths in a few days

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

Dickie10 wrote: »
    brilliant numbers........

I suppose if someone dies it's counted as a reduction

Hospital numbers :

Total 255 (down from 272 last night - 17 deaths )

272 minus 17 = 255

from here :

https://covid19ireland-geohive.hub.arcgis.com/

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement