Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXIV-249,437 ROI(4,906 deaths) 120,195 NI (2,145 deaths)(01/05)Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭funnydoggy

Consider that.

Always worrying when it'll be your turn, and if you'll get long covid, or even die.
    If it goes on for years, then life expectancy goes down. You might be okay getting it in your 20s, but maybe not your 70s or 80s.

Then waiting for the next nasty new variant. Maybe something that kills young people (Spanish flu second wave?)

Remember the virus will mutate to survive vaccines, just like flu does. As more and more people get it, so will the mutations increase. We could end up with multiple new variants a year. How will vaccines keep up with that?

This virus will spread when the carrier is asymptomatic. So it is less like to evolve into something benign.

This is why governments across the globe are terrified of this. Why we have such stringent lockdowns.

This posts reads like 5 different twitter posts in one.

It also reads like something one of the zero covid ISAG scaremongers would say.

Remember the virus will mutate to survive vaccines, just like flu does. As more and more people get it, so will the mutations increase. We could end up with multiple new variants a year. How will vaccines keep up with that?

This virus will spread when the carrier is asymptomatic. So it is less like to evolve into something benign.

That's not really how evolution works. While the end result may be the same as what you've said, it doesn't evolve to do something. An evolutionary trait is simply a mistake that happens to be useful and sticks around. A mistake that beats a vaccine is still a mistake.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,549 ✭✭✭Leftwaffe

I can’t find any discussion about this anywhere? Deserves the bullet over this alone.

https://twitter.com/hughescraig90/status/1377750127272660995?s=21

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭Banana Republic 1

Do you want to point out what part of my post you disagree with?

Like in a normal adult conversation?

It’s easy to dismiss and or rubbish something when you have not encountered it in your own life.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Leftwaffe wrote: »
    I can’t find any discussion about this anywhere? Deserves the bullet over this alone.

https://twitter.com/hughescraig90/status/1377750127272660995?s=21

Not another April 1st by any chance ...

Similar to the vaccination booking system in NI - where people here were booking themselves in and arriving at vaccination centres there.

That loophole was quickly closed down by the healthboards there. I think the lesson is where there's people - there will be those who try and exploit the system regardless.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭snotboogie

It's way to early to make any conclusions on Chile. They have been vaccinating between 0.9 and 1.6 per 100 per day, this is even faster than Israel. Needs time for the vaccines to take effect. Right now Chile are below 60 per 100, Israel only really saw their fall in cases when they got to 90 per 100. Also I've seen charts that show younger people are driving the surge in cases there.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Story about celebs ending up in Australia, including our own refugee Matt Damon. Needless to say some of the 40,000 normal stranded Aussies are not happy about it.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-australia-55851074

• Registered Users Posts: 6,693 ✭✭✭User1998

Qrt wrote: »
    Personally I think forget EP. Focus on getting to daily normality, like being able to go for a meal, and getting students back on our college campuses. I can wait a while longer for live events, I just want to get back on campus.

Why forget about EP if 80% of the adult population will be vaccinated 3 months prior to the festival commencing? Thats fine if you want to get back on campus but some people want something to look forward to

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Never mind different covid variants. What about a completely new virus?! We need to stay at least at level 4 just in case. Probably indefinitely.

Yeah that line is getting old at this stage.

#Need new material ....

• Registered Users Posts: 7,783 ✭✭✭Benimar

User1998 wrote: »
    Why forget about EP if 80% of the adult population will be vaccinated 3 months prior to the festival commencing? Thats fine if you want to get back on campus but some people want something to look forward to

The aim (not a guarantee!) is for 80% of adults to have had ONE dose by the end of June (2 months before EP).

EP is pie in the sky to be honest. Vaccinated or not, any test events for large crowds will be matches and seated concerts, not uncontrolled crowds (in the sense of moving around) in what’s not necessarily being the most sanitary environment in the past.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Klonker

prunudo wrote: »
    If you really are a Dutch boy, you should look at how proactive your government are about getting back to normal with regards to concerts and mass gatherings from this summer on. They're also looking at allowing some audience members into the Eurovision song contest as a trial to guage effects from large gatherings.

Yeah the only way I could see Electric Picnic happening would be with government backing but they'd to give that backing very soon. Unfortunately I can't see that happening. Other countries are trying a few social experiments but not a budge out of our lads, too much hard work for them. And to be honest I think the public would give out stink here if they did try, the covid hysteria here seems unmatched anywhere else in Europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Leftwaffe wrote: »
    Bit harsh tbh.
    Even without reading any further into it, I can imagine why he may not pull it straight away - because they had no other way for frontline workers to register.

So a loads of cvnts skip the queue by abusing the system; not great, but not a disaster either. They would get jabbed eventually anyway.

If he tells them to take it down, some might lose out. If he goes public and appeals for people not to abuse it, then he's just drawing attention to it.

Most likely he said, "Look, we're going to change things up anyway, leave it till the end of next week and then take it down".

• Registered Users Posts: 15,374 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Do hospitals discharge on a public holiday? Or will we see a steady climb of hospitalisations over the weekend again

France has discovered a variant that can’t be picked up by current pcr test.

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭muddypuppy

is_that_so wrote: »
    Story about celebs ending up in Australia, including our own refugee Matt Damon. Needless to say some of the 40,000 normal stranded Aussies are not happy about it.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-australia-55851074

Remember, we are all in this together.

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭Sobit1964

Off hand do you know if it is detected by the anal swab that the chinese are using?

They discovered it over 2 weeks ago. I don't think it's of too much concern, or we'd hear a lot more about it.

I'd happily eat my words though!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,843 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

Germany stopped AstraZeneca again for under 60's:

"On Tuesday morning hospitals in four German states, including Berlin’s Charité clinic, suspended use of the vaccine on staff members under 60, in particular women, after registering 31 cases of a rare blood clot in the brain among those who had received an AstraZeneca jab.

He added that public trust in the British-Swedish vaccine was likely to be affected negatively after this second halt in its use. A survey last week suggested that nearly a quarter of Germans would be wary of accepting the AstraZeneca jab.

Among 31 German cases of blood clots which lead to its suspension were some 19 cases of thrombopenia, where a lower-than-normal level of blood platelets lead to symptoms including excessive nose bleeds. All but two cases involved women between 20 and 63. The two men affected were 36 and 57 years old
    ."

Irish Times:

"Germany’s Covid-19 vaccination timetable was thrown into disarray yet again after its vaccine commission recommended a temporary halt on the use of the AstraZeneca vaccine in people below 60 years of age.

The announcement on Tuesday afternoon followed a similar decision by Canada to suspend the use of the vaccine in adults younger than 55.

Chancellor Angela Merkel held an emergency meeting with state leaders on Tuesday evening to discuss the consequences of the ban. Germany’s health authorities have promised a decision by the end of April about how to proceed with people who are awaiting their second AstraZeneca jab
    ."
    Has this issue arisen in the UK? They are presumably far ahead on numbers of this vaccine?

https://www.rte.ie/news/world/2021/0402/1207578-britain-vaccine-clots/

• Registered Users Posts: 6,693 ✭✭✭User1998

Benimar wrote: »
    The aim (not a guarantee!) is for 80% of adults to have had ONE dose by the end of June (2 months before EP).

EP is pie in the sky to be honest. Vaccinated or not, any test events for large crowds will be matches and seated concerts, not uncontrolled crowds (in the sense of moving around) in what’s not necessarily being the most sanitary environment in the past.

Regardless of it being two months or two weeks, we know one dose of the vaccine is very effective, and surely 2 months after June a lot more people will have gotten their second dose. I’m not saying I think EP will go ahead but IMO there is no reason to delay going back to a normal life after mid July never mind September (all dependent on vaccine supply of course)

Regardless of it being two months or two weeks, we know one dose of the vaccine is very effective, and surely 2 months after June a lot more people will have gotten their second dose. I’m not saying I think EP will go ahead but IMO there is no reason to delay going back to a normal life after mid July never mind September (all dependent on vaccine supply of course)

If we do have a good vaccination profile across the country, it would be an absolute shame not to have something like EP go ahead.

At some stage, people will need to do their own risk analysis and act accordingly. It can't be up to NPHET et al, as they will be gone or out of the limelight soon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭Derek Zoolander

Good article on differences in this article for FT subscribers

Basically Europe used AZ on younger population where these conditions could be more regular - U.K. seen some instances but none with the secondary low platelets which is where it can be fatal..

In short there is an increase in instances likely because of vaccines but still incredibly rare - in Germany it was 1 in 600k

https://www.ft.com/content/d5cd63c6-af01-4d29-a5e5-b69ade4f3803

Sobit1964 wrote: »
    Off hand do you know if it is detected by the anal swab that the chinese are using?

Genetic tests I think

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-france-variant-idUSKBN2B80GQ

Vicxas wrote: »
    Do hospitals discharge on a public holiday? Or will we see a steady climb of hospitalisations over the weekend again
    We've seen a good chunk of discharges this week and I think a lot of that is down to, "Let's get you home for Easter" discharges.

Today isn't a public holiday, so I expect we will see a good tranche of people discharged today too, and very few then until Tuesday. So we could be back to ~300 in hospital come Tuesday, but then it should drop again.

Just to bring this up again, there was a short thread on r/COVID19 about it - - https://www.reddit.com/r/COVID19/comments/m9netk/sarscov2_variants_of_concern_are_associated_with/

Doesn't seem to be what the headlines are saying.

funnydoggy wrote: »
    Just to bring this up again, there was a short thread on r/COVID19 about it - - https://www.reddit.com/r/COVID19/comments/m9netk/sarscov2_variants_of_concern_are_associated_with/

Doesn't seem to be what the headlines are saying.
    Indeed, they seem to be saying the exact opposite; newer variants appear to be *easier* to detect.

This would indicate on average a higher viral load. Hard to say if this is down to the variants, or the nature of these samples having been taken mid-wave; average viral load may have been higher as the infection was significantly more prevalent in the community.

Could also be a result of improvements in testing or swabbing.

But this is why the media aren't saying anything about it; it's not of any real interest to the layman.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,783 ✭✭✭Benimar

We will be doing more things, and I even mentioned some - going to matches, sit down concerts etc. Even then it will need a large proportion of the population to be fully vaccinated, not just have one dose.

The conversation was about EP and there isn’t a hope that EP gets sanctioned this year.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

Ah sure it's grand. I think freedom is more important than quarantining the diseased.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,068 ✭✭✭✭normanoffside

seamus wrote: »
    We've seen a good chunk of discharges this week and I think a lot of that is down to, "Let's get you home for Easter" discharges.

Today isn't a public holiday, so I expect we will see a good tranche of people discharged today too, and very few then until Tuesday. So we could be back to ~300 in hospital come Tuesday, but then it should drop again.

It’ll be reported as a rise in hospitalisations with no context until Tuesday

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭Sobit1964

Ah sure it's grand. I think freedom is more important than quarantining the diseased healthy.

Fixed that for you.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement