Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part X *Read OP For Mod Warnings*

Options

Comments

I mean. Obviously. If you make the low-transmission activity of meeting outdoors more risky in terms of being fined/arrested/pestered than the high-transmission activity of meeting indoors, people who have the same risk from Covid as they do from a bad flu and people who have been vaccinated are going to meet up indoors.

Do they have a single human behavioural scientist involved in these consultations?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭MOR316

How would he even know that?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,987 ✭✭✭normanoffside

MOR316 wrote: »

Apparently it's from their surveys.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,976 ✭✭✭✭JRant

How do they know it's a social visit?
    Seems to be a bit of a leap there.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

Meanwhile in Madrid people are packing the nightclubs and Bars.
    The 11pm Curfew just means they go out earlier.

https://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/abroad/working-abroad/we-ve-a-covid-curfew-here-but-it-hasn-t-stopped-people-packing-nightclubs-1.4516997

In Spain having to go out early is worse than any lockdown

• Advertisement

Boggles wrote: »
    What restrictions will need to be lifted in order for the government not to collapse by the end of next month in your own opinion?

They could probably get by with allowing click & collect for all businesses, allowing outdoor gatherings of up to 10 with strong recommendations for distance and masking, and opening construction.

I don’t think that would be far enough, personally, but it would probably buy them some time to paper over their vaccine calamity.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭The Big Easy

The same way they know transmission is not happening in schools.

They've been assured by people who know!

I mean. Obviously. If you make the low-transmission activity of meeting outdoors more risky in terms of being fined/arrested/pestered than the high-transmission activity of meeting indoors, people who have the same risk from Covid as they do from a bad flu and people who have been vaccinated are going to meet up indoors.

Do they have a single human behavioural scientist involved in these consultations?

To quote a Doctor I know...

"NPHET are doing everything right, it's the public that are at fault! They're causing all of this! It's the reason why smart people like us go and study science and medicine and those who aren't smart, don't!"

So no, they don't have a clue about human behaviour or emotions

They could probably get by with allowing click & collect for all businesses, allowing outdoor gatherings of up to 10 with strong recommendations for distance and masking, and opening construction.

I don’t think that would be far enough, personally, but it would probably buy them some time to paper over their vaccine calamity.

The “vaccine calamity” is relative. Outside of us, uk , Israel, some tax havens, oil states and luxury holiday destinations Europe is doing well

The “vaccine calamity” is relative. Outside of us, uk , Israel, some tax havens, oil states and luxury holiday destinations Europe is doing well

Oh, well as long as we’re.... beating the developing world, I guess.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

Some great insights from Nolan tonight. When more kids are in school, more adults go to their workplace.
    How much are we paying this fella?

I posted earlier about the need to do the financials on this NPHET crowd,and how much WE are paying them does come into the equation.

Also,at this point in proceedings,I would suggest we no longer have a Public Health Emergency per se,as the expected collapses due to Covid never occured.

What we will see,I predict,is the Irish Government emulating the UK's move today,and extending Emergency powers to suit their agenda,which is now majoring on Social Engineering and further trials of how far can the State actually go with impositions before the populace get restive.

The Irish Government is in fact in a better position that the Conservative Government,due to the TOTAL absence of effective Opposition,and a commensurate absence of Journalistic or media oversight.

It is a particularly important testing moment for the breader concept of Democracy & Freedom as it has been understood in the past,....the future is,I'm afraid,hugely uncertain on that score. :(

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭ypres5

To quote a Doctor I know...

"NPHET are doing everything right, it's the public that are at fault! They're causing all of this! It's the reason why smart people like us go and study science and medicine and those who aren't smart, don't!"

So no, they don't have a clue about human behaviour or emotions

make sure to ask your doctor friend about the blunder highlight reel that is tony holohans career if doctors are such divine creatures

• Registered Users Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭copeyhagen

In Spain having to go out early is worse than any lockdown

:rolleyes:

ypres5 wrote: »
    make sure to ask your doctor friend about the blunder highlight reel that is tony holohans career if doctors are such divine creatures

Not his fault apparently

Ronan Glynn: "People are wrong, NPHET don't make predictions!"

He then goes on to describe that NPHET base their findings on what might happen, from the data they gather...

So they make predictions...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

Some houses will have a support bubble.

Micky 32 wrote: »
    Some houses will have a support bubble.

Until the banks burst it

Oh, well as long as we’re.... beating the developing world, I guess.

Canada, Japan, Australia, Korea.........

And it’s not a competition. Vaccinating 20 year olds in the uk while developing countries have massive outbreaks is not winning

• Registered Users Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭TonyMaloney

AlekSmart wrote: »
    I posted earlier about the need to do the financials on this NPHET crowd,and how much WE are paying them does come into the equation.

Also,at this point in proceedings,I would suggest we no longer have a Public Health Emergency per se,as the expected collapses due to Covid never occured.

What we will see,I predict,is the Irish Government emulating the UK's move today,and extending Emergency powers to suit their agenda,which is now majoring on Social Engineering and further trials of how far can the State actually go with impositions before the populace get restive.

The Irish Government is in fact in a better position that the Conservative Government,due to the TOTAL absence of effective Opposition,and a commensurate absence of Journalistic or media oversight.

It is a particularly important testing moment for the breader concept of Democracy & Freedom as it has been understood in the past,....the future is,I'm afraid,hugely uncertain on that score. :(

So you're saying a fragile coalition of FF, FG and the ****ing Green party are conspiring to steal our democracy.

I wonder which one of them suggested they do it first?

JRant wrote: »
    Not a thought will be given to the wider economy. It's case numbers and D'Variant all the way baby. Buckle up because it's going to be a very very interesting 2 months coming up. Followed by carnage on the fiscal space front. I hope Paschal uses plenty of lube over the next few years.

Because the decisions are being made by people who aren't really affected by said decisions. They'd rather let the economy burn to the ground than be blamed for some Covid deaths. Their pensions etc are completely safe, regardless of what happens to everyone else. People at such a disconnect are not in a position to make informed decisions on behalf of everyone else.

Down the line when the economic effects of this really hit home, they'll just say "we were trying to save some lives...". It's the easy, cowardly way out. The median age of people dying from Covid is 83, the same as that for all deaths. 88% of those had underlying conditions. What the hell are we doing?

I haven't been on here in a while. I've just been living my life as normal. Nothing reckless, but every time I check back in on this stuff and the news every month or so, I'm amazed that's it's all still carrying on... and on... and on.

Drove through Dublin today and it's like a ghost town.

This is absolute lunacy at this point.

• Advertisement

copeyhagen wrote: »
    :rolleyes:

Do some people have zero sense of humour

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭OwenM

Not his fault apparently

Now that's the one and only thing that career bureaucrats excel at.

Ronan Glynn: "People are wrong, NPHET don't make predictions!"

He then goes on to describe that NPHET base their findings on what might happen, from the data they gather...

So they make predictions...

Projection =/= prediction

OwenM wrote: »
    Now that's the one and only thing that career bureaucrats excel at.

Pretty much...

Completely ignored that twice, both last September and March of this year, when schools opened cases went up...

Nah, it's all these house parties... (Where the hell are they?)

So you're saying a fragile coalition of FF, FG and the ****ing Green party are conspiring to steal our democracy.

I wonder which one of them suggested they do it first?

In truth batsh*t crazy is increasingly becoming the default position on this weird outpost

• Registered Users Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭copeyhagen

Do some people have zero sense of humour

its hard to know with ye few.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭TonyMaloney

In truth batsh*t crazy is increasingly becoming the default position on this weird outpost

I miss the days when we were at loggerheads, raind.

Would you like an argument?

Projection =/= prediction

Projection is an estimate based on evidence
    Prediction is a guess on a future event, based on evidence

Canada, Japan, Australia, Korea.........

And it’s not a competition. Vaccinating 20 year olds in the uk while developing countries have massive outbreaks is not winning

I agree with you there. I can understand countries that have been able to procure vaccinations getting their elderly and vulnerable done ASAP, but I think, given what we know about the virus’ relative mildness in other demographics, elderly and vulnerable people in other countries should come before low risk groups in any country.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,636 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

Yeah, over the last few months I've found myself increasingly on the anti restrictions side of the discussion on here but some of the comments over the past day or two are, well, completely unhinged.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement