Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part X *Read OP For Mod Warnings*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

ypres5 wrote: »
    make sure to ask your doctor friend about the blunder highlight reel that is tony holohans career if doctors are such divine creatures

The Covid industry is well underway at the minute,in fact it has become a well-oiled Swiss Watch,so silent and smooth is it's operation.

https://www.hse.ie/eng/staff/pcrs/circulars/gp/gp-circular-05-2020-services-during-covid-19.pdf

1.GPs will be remunerated for provision of remote consultations to patients who may have contracted COVID-19 infection including referral for testing if clinically required in line with the latest clinical algorithm which is available on www.hpsc.ie. A fee of €30 will be payable to GPs for provision of such remote consultations. This fee will be payable in respect of all patients, regardless of eligibility status. A claim is valid once a call has been completed whether or not the test is required. If a test is required the result will be referred back to GP and where a second remote consultation is required with the patient a further claim can be made. Claims can be submitted electronically to the HSE’s PCERS using the standard Special Items of Service claim form. The code to be used for these claims is CB.

2.GPs will be enabled to provide dedicated respiratory clinics on their practice premises for patients previously identified by remote consultation as being at-risk of COVID-19 infection. A fee of €75 will be paid per consultation. This fee will apply to all patients, regardless of eligibility status. Claims can be submitted electronically to the HSE’s PCERS using the standard Special Items of Service claim form. The code to be used for these claims is CA.

3.In order to maintain services for non-COVID-19 issues, a fee of €25 will be payable to GPs for a remote consultation, not related to COVID-19, with one of their patients to establish a need for attendance at the practice premises. This fee will apply to aremote consultation with a holder of a Medical Card or GP Visit Card and will apply whether or not the Out of Hours service is available, at the time the consultation is provided. Claims can be submitted electronically to the HSE’s PCERS using the standard Special Items of Service claim form. The code to be used for these claims is CD.

As with the affairs of some bygone well known figures,the best advice is to "Follow the Money " ;)

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Registered Users Posts: 40,007 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

They could probably get by with allowing click & collect for all businesses, allowing outdoor gatherings of up to 10 with strong recommendations for distance and masking, and opening construction.

I don’t think that would be far enough, personally, but it would probably buy them some time to paper over their vaccine calamity.

So no tangible difference apart from click and collect. :)

I think we both know Cymro that meeting x amount outside was one of those recommendations that the majority deemed didn't apply to them at least in the past 6 weeks, we also know the vast majority of construction workers are working.

Now it is probably time for the charade to finish and for them to go back working for the minted property developers whose sites were actually closed down.

They will increase the 5km, allow outdoor training for kids, construction and meeting slightly more outside.

I'm not so sure about click and collect.

All in my humble opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭TonyMaloney

Boggles wrote: »

I think we both know Cymro that meeting x amount outside was one of those recommendations that the majority deemed didn't apply to them at least in the past 6 weeks, we also know the vast majority of construction workers are working.

Now it is probably time for the charade to finish and for them to go back working for the minted property developers whose sites were actually closed down.

They will increase the 5km, allow outdoor training for kids, construction and meeting slightly more outside.

I think so too. I think they're going to accept rising cases and try to stamp it out with vaccines once the supply is in place.

So you're saying a fragile coalition of FF, FG and the ****ing Green party are conspiring to steal our democracy.

I wonder which one of them suggested they do it first?

Take your pick ?

There's little "fragile" about this coalition,as will become apparent as we contine to have it's members steer the L.E.Éire through the iceberg field.

Given that "We're all in this together",and particularly so within the Cabinet,we will have to just meekly accept that many of our (I won't bother with the word Constitutional) freedoms will NOT be returning,even if Covid is eliminated.

The "Emergency" is long since passed.

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Boggles wrote: »

Doesn’t matter if the majority of people have been meeting in groups outside. It matters that the letter of the law as it stands will currently be sharply curtailing the social activity of the most compliant people in society.

But I guess that realisation would require a modicum of empathy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,857 ✭✭✭growleaves

In truth batsh*t crazy is increasingly becoming the default position on this weird outpost

I guess a lot of people will be feeling pretty embarrassed when all of our freedom of movement, freedom of association, economic freedom etc., etc. is restored in full.

When will that be again?

Bonus points if you can get Fungie back too.

I miss the days when we were at loggerheads, raind.

Would you like an argument?

Schools?

AlekSmart wrote: »
    Take your pick ?

There's little "fragile" about this coalition,as will become apparent as we contine to have it's members steer the L.E.Éire through the iceberg field.

Given that "We're all in this together",and particularly so within the Cabinet,we will have to just meekly accept that many of our (I won't bother with the word Constitutional) freedoms will NOT be returning,even if Covid is eliminated.

Alright. I pick Eamon Ryan. He's the super villain.

growleaves wrote: »
    I guess a lot of people will be feeling pretty embarrassed when all of our freedom of movement, freedom of association, economic freedom etc., etc. is restored in full.

When will that be again?

Bonus points if you can get Fungie back too.

That fúcking mammal is a massive economic loss.

If anyone has ever been to Dingle they'll know what I am talking about.

Post Covid is the least of their worries.

They need to get in a compliant ringer.

It was obvious really.

Pet Wolves?

• Advertisement

Anyone who wears bicycle clips must be a super villain

Schools?

Meh

I'm not on the same page as you, but I find your position pretty sensible.

There are studies that suggest B117 may be more deadly than covid classic. I haven't read them so don't know what to think, but I could give them a once over and get back to you with something a little more strident?

Not quite yet,that status will only come with the MINISTERIAL pension,so sadly,no ice-cream cone there.

He would however,make an excellent member of NPHET,and God knows,it needs a few fresh faces,along with a fresh idea or two....like eradicating Covid forever......? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

MOR316 wrote: »
    How would he even know that?

He wouldn't. There is literally no way they could possibly know that.

They might believe it by extrapolating from available data, but they certainly don't know that. Even if every single person they spoke to in that week said they'd visited another household on a social visit, they didn't speak to half a million people in a week.

It's unusual. They're not normally given to outright lying, it's usually more carefully chosen statistics presented in such a way as to give a particular impression.
    Like Nolan saying the other day they know how the majority of transmission is occurring. Which is true. Although since that's only 60%, it's equally true to say they have absolutely no clue whatsoever how almost half of transmission is occurring.

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭PintOfView

Also,at this point in proceedings,I would suggest we no longer have a Public Health Emergency per se,as the expected collapses due to Covid never occured.

By the same token,
    as our road deaths have come down, do you think we can all now relax,
    and stop wearing seat belts, and start drinking and driving again?

Meh

I'm not on the same page as you, but I find your position pretty sensible.

There are studies that suggest B117 may be more deadly than covid classic. I haven't read them so don't know what to think, but I could give them a once over and get back to you with something a little more strident?

On b117 being more deadly, my view is that this is the seasonal effect ( don’t tell silentcorner I said that). B117 arrived just when we had our first encounter with this virus at the height of winter. All these types of viruses are more deadly at the height of winter

MOH wrote: »
    He wouldn't. There is literally no way they could possibly know that.

They might believe it by extrapolating from available data, but they certainly don't know that. Even if every single person they spoke to in that week said they'd visited another household on a social visit, they didn't speak to half a million people in a week.

It's unusual. They're not normally given to outright lying, it's usually more carefully chosen statistics presented in such a way as to give a particular impression.
    Like Nolan saying the other day they know how the majority of transmission is occurring. Which is true. Although since that's only 60%, it's equally true to say they have absolutely no clue whatsoever how almost half of transmission is occurring.

The real issue is not what NPHET are "saying",but rather the lack of any probing questions,not alone from the Media,but from the few politicians who are feeling increasingly concerned by the antics of NPHET itself.

Seeking their accounts and ascertaining what we get for our money would be a good start.

I haven't been on here in a while. I've just been living my life as normal. Nothing reckless, but every time I check back in on this stuff and the news every month or so, I'm amazed that's it's all still carrying on... and on... and on.

And what do you suggest we do, just all wish it away together??
    Have you a more tangible solution?

On b117 being more deadly, my view is that this is the seasonal effect ( don’t tell silentcorner I said that). B117 arrived just when we had our first encounter with this virus at the height of winter. All these types of viruses are more deadly at the height of winter

Sounds plausible and I don't want to read the studies.

The real issue is not what NPHET are "saying",but rather the lack of any probing questions,not alone from the Media,but from the few politicians who are feeling increasingly concerned by the antics of NPHET itself.

Seeking their accounts and ascertaining what we get for our money would be a good start.

So what's your solution to the whole thing (that won't result in putting my life at risk, or that of anyone I know)?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,377 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

Do you realise, lads, that if the people you're calling idiots get a test and it returns negative it will improve our numbers, right?

So if you think there's no reason for them to be getting tested, then you should be encouraging them to do it.

In fact you should do your part for ending restrictions by all going to get tested

More lockdown logic

Encourage people to travel (despite claiming travel spreads Covid) to congregate at a place where statistically the chance of transmitting the disease will be higher than other places where one may travel too.

I mean it’s as if NPHET and those on your side of the fence are of the belief the vaccines won’t work.

The most vulnerable are vaccinated as are all the HCW’s, so why now are case numbers relevant as opposed to hospital admission?

The whole point of mitigation measure’s was to prevent deaths and the health service becoming overwhelmed, while of course allegedly only using those mitigation measures short term to prevent costly 2nd order effects.

I drove through Salthill this evening and the prom was barricaded off to prevent cars parking and to encourage people not to walk the prom. 6 people across the whole city&county are in hospital due to Covid.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,976 ✭✭✭✭JRant

I think so too. I think they're going to accept rising cases and try to stamp it out with vaccines once the supply is in place.

Think you are wrong on the first point but spot on for the second Tony.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

PintOfView wrote: »
    By the same token,
    as our road deaths have come down, do you think we can all now relax,
    and stop wearing seat belts, and start drinking and driving again?

An odd comparison but I suppose if it floats the boat,off you go.

As for me,I'd return the place to something approaching normal functionality,and start looking after the huge chunk of contributing Irish Society that has been denied so much over the past 12 months.

In health terms,The sad fact that many of this group will have died from non-covid causes due to the Emergency shutting down all else appears to count for naught.

But equally you are correct,using the Emergency powers of the Health Act is reducing Road Accident Fatalities,which no doubt,will feature as an added reason to keep it there.

More lockdown logic

Encourage people to travel (despite claiming travel spreads Covid) to congregate at a place where statistically the chance of transmitting the disease will be higher than other places where one may travel too.

I mean it’s as if NPHET and those on your side of the fence are of the belief the vaccines won’t work.

The most vulnerable are vaccinated as are all the HCW’s, so why now are case numbers relevant as opposed to hospital admission?

The whole point of mitigation measure’s was to prevent deaths and the health service becoming overwhelmed, while of course allegedly only using those mitigation measures short term to prevent costly 2nd order effects.

I drove through Salthill this evening and the prom was barricaded off to prevent cars parking and to encourage people not to walk the prom. 6 people across the whole city&county are in hospital due to Covid.

Because people arriving at these centres are being corralled like cattle for a herd test (apologies to our city brethren, think of the bar just before last orders on a busy saturday night, just with a little more piss and sh*t)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,377 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

Yeah, over the last few months I've found myself increasingly on the anti restrictions side of the discussion on here but some of the comments over the past day or two are, well, completely unhinged.

But that’s what happen’s Jim.

Some people have lost all glimmer of a future.

Strip a man of everything he values and force him to rely on others and all bets are off.

At the end of the day, the government didn’t keep up their initial promises last Summer and many Irish men & women have been living in the most suppressed democracy across the globe for the past 12 months.

Have you heard any discussion from a behavioural psychologist on the effects on long term suppression on children and adults?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 146 ✭✭Neagra

i was out yesterday for a run in the local woods.
    really enjoying it until i got to around 1 km from my car
    suddenly i felt a presence and then realised i was being surrounded by a mist of pure covid BRE 11234 variant.
    i just managed to get back to my car before i was engulfed.

its important to note the longer we live with covid the more we learn about it
    Covid does NOT affect the following professions and stores
    accountant, solicitor, judge, tesco, aldi, woodies, pet shops, dentists, rugby players, DID, currys,

Covid lives full time and is at its most dangerous mutant worst in the following places
    hairdressers, pubs, penneys, homes, property viewings, construction sites, public sector offices, on physical CASH.
    you must stop immediately using physical cash.

Be careful out there and remember it takes a village.

An odd comparison but I suppose if it floats the boat,off you go.

As for me,I'd return the place to something approaching normal functionality,and start looking after the huge chunk of contributing Irish Society that has been denied so much over the past 12 months.

In health terms,The sad fact that many of this group will have died from non-covid causes due to the Emergency shutting down all else appears to count for naught.

But equally you are correct,using the Emergency powers of the Health Act is reducing Road Accident Fatalities,which no doubt,will feature as an added reason to keep it there.

Well the comparison is this ...
    You say "We no longer have a public health emergency as the expected collapse due to covid never occurred"

If we hadn't locked down then you would have a very good point.
    However we did lock down, and brought in restrictions to stifle the virus.
    Has it occurred to you to wonder why we didn't have a collapse?

Neagra wrote: »
    i was out yesterday for a run in the local woods.
    really enjoying it until i got to around 1 km from my car
    suddenly i felt a presence and then realised i was being surrounded by a mist of pure covid BRE 11234 variant.
    i just managed to get back to my car before i was engulfed.

its important to note the longer we live with covid the more we learn about it
    Covid does NOT affect the following professions and stores
    accountant, solicitor, judge, tesco, aldi, woodies, pet shops, dentists, rugby players, DID, currys,

Covid lives full time and is at its most dangerous mutant worst in the following places
    hairdressers, pubs, penneys, homes, property viewings, construction sites, public sector offices, on physical CASH.
    you must stop immediately using physical cash.

Be careful out there and remember it takes a village.

Oh Christ almighty.

Maybe I should use capitals as comprehension seems to be an issue.

ITS NOT THAT EVERYTHING RESTRICTED IS JUDGED AS AUTOMATICALLY BEING MORE RISKY THEN THOSE THAT ARE NOT, ITS THAT THEY ARE DEEMED LESS ESSENTIAL

Take your pick ?

What do you work at yourself

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,501 ✭✭✭bb1234567

I agree with you there. I can understand countries that have been able to procure vaccinations getting their elderly and vulnerable done ASAP, but I think, given what we know about the virus’ relative mildness in other demographics, elderly and vulnerable people in other countries should come before low risk groups in any country.

Totally agree, it's really scandalous that millions of Americans and Brits in their 20's and 30's are being vaccinated for no reason while 3000 Brazilians died the other day. Most countries only need to urgently innoculate about 10-15% of their populations who fall into vulnerable category and then this global pandemic is essentially over in terms of large death numbers

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement