Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part X *Read OP For Mod Warnings*

Comments

UI_Paddy wrote: »
    The rise in cases we saw early this year was caused by the UK B117 variant. I know very few people who weren't responsible at Christmas.

Except that at the start of January only 10% of cases were the “variant”

• Closed Accounts Posts: 624 ✭✭✭arccosh

ypres5 wrote: »
    Brilliant rebuttal. So when do you think masks and social distancing will be done away with and why do you think so? Because all indications from gov are they'll be here a while yet

double nah

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭ypres5

PintOfView wrote: »
    Indefinitely means forever.
    However that's not what that article says.
    It's clearly meant to just last until the threat from Covid has passed.
    See ...

And when will the threat of covid be deemed as passed? It might as well be indefinitely

Reality rarely impinges when the thread gets into full rant mode

So posting an article and commenting on it's contents is 'ranting' now is it? Have you anything of substance to add or just make petty jabs as usual?

arccosh wrote: »
    double nah

Sorry I'll try and use smaller words from now on to make it a bit easier for you. Bless.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

if only few who lost their marbles would realize aside vaccines this **** covid situation wont be getting any better and doesnt matter whatever is done that few thousand extra deaths means f all, when theres circa 30k annually dying from other chance illnesses accidents and diseases in greater scheme we reached a point where goverment only needs to do one job and its getting jab into muscles as fast as possible and letting of the idiotic concept to save a few, while drowning everyone then we could be back to normal in no time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭0lddog

And when will the threat of covid be deemed as passed? It might as well be indefinitely

Will be in the constitution. Right there beside 'The right to bare arms' :D

Sorry I'll try and use smaller words from now on to make it a bit easier for you. Bless.

don't be sorry, it'll still be garbage anyway

So posting an article and commenting on it's contents is 'ranting' now is it? Have you anything of substance to add or just make petty jabs as usual?

You say “commenting” I say “misrepresenting to engage rant force 9”. Either that or just reading the headline and first paragraph, which given the propensity of the majority of posters to jump in with the opinion before they even read the source, irrespective of their position on most issues, may in fact be the case

You say “commenting” I say “misrepresenting to engage rant force 9”. Either that or just reading the headline and first paragraph, which given the propensity of the majority of posters to jump in with the opinion before they even read the source, irrespective of their position on most issues, may in fact be the case

So when will the threat of covid be deemed as passed? Can you answer that question once your finished throwing around accusations?

• Advertisement

don't be sorry, it'll still be garbage anyway

U okay hun pm me xx

U okay hun pm me xx

no tanx bbz the hack

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,653 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

ypres5 and arccosh

I suggest putting each other on ignore as you are both acting uncivilly towards one another

So when will the threat of covid be deemed as passed? Can you answer that question once your finished throwing around accusations?

When enough people have resistance through vaccination or previous infection to no longer require suppression methods to control spread and prevent hospitalisations. This will be in two phases. When just the vulnerable are done and when effective suppression is reached. The UK and much of the US has passed phase 1. Israel has passed phase 2. We will reach phase 1 next month and phase 2 before the end of June. The majority of the world’s population won’t get there this year unfortunately.

When we reach what I called phase 2 the will still need to be monitoring of “variants” but these are highly unlikely to cause the levels of severe disease in those already exposed/vaccinated and the vaccine technology will be rapidly deployed to deal with emerging issues. Prepare to be surprised by the pace of return to something approaching normality over the summer. By next year, for us at least, essentially it will be like an enhanced version of ongoing influenza surveillance

• Registered Users Posts: 15,214 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

Zebra3 wrote: »
    What has that got to do with stats not being provided to the EU on (potentially) excessive mortality rates?

Other than there are no official stats to back up what the Mayo coroner is assuming, which is at variance with the Eurostat stats from every other E.U. country, and, as another poster showed the U.S.A., as regarding large excess deaths for the months corresponding with when the various waves were at their height you mean?

If that coroner is correct, then I cannot see anything to explain Ireland looking like one of the most, if not the actual most, successful countries in the world in regards to minimising Covid-19 deaths. Can you ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,938 ✭✭✭Dickie10

there are loads of backroads across the border anyway, even if you stay off the main roads. Gardai are pretty much done with any covid checkpoints since they didnt get their jabs. expect only token ones from now and i would think none in a months time

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 452 ✭✭Sharpyshoot

Dickie10 wrote: »
    there are loads of backroads across the border anyway, even if you stay off the main roads. Gardai are pretty much done with any covid checkpoints since they didnt get their jabs. expect only token ones from now and i would think none in a months time

Just wait for a wet day also. First drop of rain and it’s into the car to catch up on their phones.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,214 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

I honestly thought you'd switched sides when I read that. That's precisely what's happening with deaths counted as covid. You can literally die of anything and if you test positive, you're in the numbers.

Is that what you meant, its grand when it's covid but obviously absurd if it were road fatalities?

If there was any kind of plausible explanation for excess deaths coinciding with the heights of the various Covid waves then that could possibly be true. But I have yet to hear one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭TomSweeney

When enough people have resistance through vaccination or previous infection to no longer require suppression methods to control spread and prevent hospitalisations. This will be in two phases. When just the vulnerable are done and when effective suppression is reached. The UK and much of the US has passed phase 1. Israel has passed phase 2. We will reach phase 1 next month and phase 2 before the end of June. The majority of the world’s population won’t get there this year unfortunately.

When we reach what I called phase 2 the will still need to be monitoring of “variants” but these are highly unlikely to cause the levels of severe disease in those already exposed/vaccinated and the vaccine technology will be rapidly deployed to deal with emerging issues. Prepare to be surprised by the pace of return to something approaching normality over the summer. By next year, for us at least, essentially it will be like an enhanced version of ongoing influenza surveillance

The problem with this is they are allready saying full vaccination won't return us to normal, Canadian PM said this the other day.

I don't know what will in their eyes ...

Also heard even though the US has 50% of adults vaccinated (you'd think that would include all the vulnerable) they still expect 600K more deaths this summer.

So, I don't know what to believe anymore, there is elements that want this to last forever.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 452 ✭✭Sharpyshoot

TomSweeney wrote: »
    So, I don't know what to believe anymore, there is elements that want this to last forever.

I would to if I were on nphet wages.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

Reading earlier about the notion that in order to regain fundamental rights in this country, we do not have to overthrow the government, but a group of very wealthy professionals in Nphet instead? Our government leaders will be too busy either stuttering or tweeting during the overthrow, so it will really make no difference to them.

One would hope that an Irish government is never allowed to repeat this utter disregard for freedoms that were hard earned over a 100 years ago. This coalition government was somehow allowed to impose the strictest restrictions in Europe and among the most repressive in the whole world on the Irish people. I think we all need to have a serious introspective think on why they were allowed to get away with it. If we don't, they will lock us down again at the first sign of a cold.

Kivaro wrote: »
    Reading earlier about the notion that in order to regain fundamental rights in this country, we do not have to overthrow the government, but a group of very wealthy professionals in Nphet instead? Our government leaders will be too busy either stuttering or tweeting during the overthrow, so it will really make no difference to them.

One would hope that an Irish government is never allowed to repeat this utter disregard for freedoms that were hard earned over a 100 years ago. This coalition government was somehow allowed to impose the strictest restrictions in Europe and among the most repressive in the whole world on the Irish people. I think we all need to have a serious introspective think on why they were allowed to get away with it. If we don't, they will lock us down again at the first sign of a cold.

at least deaths were kept fairly low

The problem with this is they are allready saying full vaccination won't return us to normal, Canadian PM said this the other day.

I don't know what will in their eyes ...

Also heard even though the US has 50% of adults vaccinated (you'd think that would include all the vulnerable) they still expect 600K more deaths this summer.

There is a disparity in vaccine uptake in much of the US which is why I said “much of the us”

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2021/04/17/us/vaccine-hesitancy-politics.html

But even so, 600k deaths is 4x the current rate sustained for 6 months. Would be interested to know who said that

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭francogarbanzo

at least deaths were kept fairly low

“Protect the healthcare service!”

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

I honestly thought you'd switched sides when I read that. That's precisely what's happening with deaths counted as covid.You can literally die of anything and if you test positive, you're in the numbers.

Is that what you meant, its grand when it's covid but obviously absurd if it were road fatalities?

Ha a fudge :pac:

Except of course that's not the case.

This was the claim being made by the solicitor (coroner) in question who claimed people's "principle cause of death" was being recorded as covid when he claimed "In reality, a lot of people have terminal cancer or multiple other serious co-morbidities"

That's not as you said "if you test positive" btw.

This is how cause of death is recorded in Ireland - just in case you're not aware
    Following a death, a registered medical practitioner who attended the deceased will complete and sign Part 1 of a Death Notification Form (DNF), and this will include information on the cause of death.

The Cause of Death is completed by the medical practitioner who attended the deceased and has the following information:

Part 1(a):Disease or condition directly leading to death, (this does not mean the mode of dying e.g. heart failure etc., it means the disease that caused death) due to (or as consequence of) Part 1(b): Antecedent Causes (morbid conditions, if any, giving rise to the above cause stating the underlying condition last) due to (or as consequence of)Part1(c): Further Antecedent Causes Part 2: Other Significant Conditions (contributing to the death but not related to the disease or condition causing it)

So yeah if you're in hospital with covid and you happen to have an existing heart condition - but it is covid-19 which is found to be responsible for your death as determined by a registered medical practitioner - then that's what gets entered in Part 1 (a).

If there are other co-morbidities and other significant conditions they get recorded on the death certificate as well.

So its the "principle disease or condition directly leading to death" which is relevant here.

So it's bs to try and claim that "you can literally die of anything and if you test positive, you're in the numbers".

And in addition If you so happen to get hit and killed by a bus and you had an earlier positive test for covid and recovered (despite having a dicky heart) your cause of death will not be recorded as Covid-19.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,872 ✭✭✭hynesie08

Why waste your time, it's been a year and they're still peddling that lie.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭Mimon

Booked a place in Portugal for end of October break. Booking.com so free cancellation, holding off on flights for the moment.

What do people reckon on chances of being able to have a normal holiday with no restrictions on return?

I'm optimistic but variants could be a spanner in the works. See Portugal is probably slightly ahead of us in terms of numbers vaccinated.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭schmoo2k

Interesting that our current death rate, ICU occupancy and Hospitalised Covid patients all line up with May 31 2020 numbers!

Hopefully it will continue to track those numbers throughout the summer months, which would imply that the relaxations could be approx. 6 weeks earlier than what we saw in 2020?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,835 ✭✭✭Allinall

there is elements that want this to last forever.

You do realise the members of NPHET were on the same salary before Covid, and will be after COVID?

• Advertisement

[HTML][/HTML]

sure why not

Mimon wrote: »
    Booked a place in Portugal for end of October break. Booking.com so free cancellation, holding off on flights for the moment.

What do people reckon on chances of being able to have a normal holiday with no restrictions on return?

I'm optimistic but variants could be a spanner in the works. See Portugal is probably slightly ahead of us in terms of numbers vaccinated.

I think you can be cautiously optimistic, Portugal rely on tourism and will want to open up quicker - now if it were somewhere like NZ/Australia/Norway I'd say forget it, but Portugal I think will be open by October - you may need the vaccine though.

Europe should be in a much better place by October anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,154 ✭✭✭opinionated3

I think you can be cautiously optimistic, Portugal rely on tourism and will want to open up quicker - now if it were somewhere like NZ/Australia/Norway I'd say forget it, but Portugal I think will be open by October - you may need the vaccine though.

Europe should be in a much better place by October anyway.

Europe probably will be in a better place late summer, but our government/ nphet will probably insist on quarantine when you return home, thus making international travel a no no.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,139 ✭✭✭✭normanoffside

gozunda wrote: »
    So it's bs to try and claim that "you can literally die of anything and if you test positive, you're in the numbers".

So, was Leo Varadkar lying then when he said you can literally die of anything and if you test positive you are in the numbers? He went even further and said you are in the numbers if you are a suspected positive with no test.

https://twitter.com/LeoVaradkar/status/1278995351169613824

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 859 ✭✭✭OwenM

There is a disparity in vaccine uptake in much of the US which is why I said “much of the us”

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2021/04/17/us/vaccine-hesitancy-politics.html

But even so, 600k deaths is 4x the current rate sustained for 6 months. Would be interested to know who said that

50% of republicans, in an article I read over the weekend. How did that happen? I mean they always had their lunatic elements like the evangelicals christians, the NRA/gun nuts etc but 50%........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭KanyeSouthEast

Europe probably will be in a better place late summer, but our government/ nphet will probably insist on quarantine when you return home, thus making international travel a no no.

So quarantine with a negative test and fully vaccinated? What’s the fuxkin point of any of this really?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,154 ✭✭✭opinionated3

So quarantine with a negative test and fully vaccinated? What’s the fuxkin point of any of this really?

I just believe that they are so ultra cautious, that the quarantine could remain here for quite some time yet. I hope I'm wrong cos I'd love a week in Portugal in September too

OwenM wrote: »
    50% of republicans, in an article I read over the weekend. How did that happen? I mean they always had their lunatic elements like the evangelicals christians, the NRA/gun nuts etc but 50%........

The vaccine was developed by libtards and turns your DNA commie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,999 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Point is they want to maintain the stance on travel since this started, i.e. Do Not Travel...

No one's going to take a flight for holidays with these Govt. Restrictions in place, and that's what they want.

There won't be quarantine for fully vaccinated people, this won't be allowed to happen in the EU - especially the way other countries have said they will be open to vaccinified people - exempting them from quarantine AND tests...

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    Point is they want to maintain the stance on travel since this started, i.e. Do Not Travel...

No one's going to take a flight for holidays with these Govt. Restrictions in place, and that's what they want.

Understandable. But come September, if I’m vaccinated I’ll be leaving and I won’t be quarantining either.
    The Govt must be in cloud cuckoo land thinking that one is going to fly once we get the majority jabbed.

• Advertisement

Understandable. But come September, if I’m vaccinated I’ll be leaving and I won’t be quarantining either.
    The Govt must be in cloud cuckoo land thinking that one is going to fly once we get the majority jabbed.

course you will, not a single bit of regard for someone who might not be, selfishness at it's finest

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

So, was Leo Varadkar lying then when he said you can literally die of anything and if you test positive you are in the numbers? He went even further and said you are in the numbers if you are a suspected positive with no test.

https://twitter.com/LeoVaradkar/status/1278995351169613824

Except he doesn't. His 'tweet' appears to be primarily in response to an article about a study on "excess deaths" which assessed the number of deaths that occurred in Ireland from 11 March to 16 June relative to the expected number of deaths, using data from the death notices website RIP.ie.

Oddly he refers "Lab tests" etc which aren't even mentioned in the article itself. And he doesn't say "you can literally die of anything and if you test positive you are in the numbers" nor does he say "you are in the numbers if you are a suspected positive with no test"

More importantly it is now known that RIP and death notices are not a reliable means of gatheing data for such studies. Was Leo lying? I doubt it, but the tweet really doesn't amount to much giving the age and context of the tweet in question.

Eitherway the article goes on to quote Dr Teljeur
    (Senior statistician - Trinity College Dublin) Who said the official death numbers was an accurate estimate at the time and despite some people having serious underlying conditions - that those people did die as a result of contracting the virus. 

If you wish to go down the conspiracy theory rabbit hole about "excess deaths" be my guest.

Here's is a more recent and much more comprehensive article on same.

https://www.thejournal.ie/factfind-ireland-excess-deaths-covid-19-5376262-Mar2021/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

Delighted to hear stories this morning of people enjoying themselves all around the country over the weekend. Many coastal towns were packed with reports of long queues for fish & chips and deli food. I'm sure lots of people went beyond their 20 km limit across county borders in order to get sea air into their lungs and to walk along the beach.

RTE will be livid about this, and they will probably have their how-hanging-fruit crack RTE Investigates Team on the case to find out more about these restrictions breakers who were enjoying their newfound freedoms. :pac:

Wait until the good weather arrives later this week .........

Delighted to hear stories this morning of people enjoying themselves all around the country over the weekend. Many coastal towns were packed with reports of long queues for fish & chips and deli food. I'm sure lots of people went beyond their 20 km limit across county borders in order to get sea air into their lungs and to walk along the beach.

RTE will be livid about this, and they will probably have their how-hanging-fruit crack RTE Investigates Team on the case to find out more about these restrictions breakers who were enjoying their newfound freedoms. :pac:

disgraceful carry on, no moral backbone

• Registered Users Posts: 935 ✭✭✭darconio

I've already posted this million times, I hope this clarifies that yes, the death toll, is/was inflated to include people that didn't die directly from Covid.

This comes from an official source:

https://www.hiqa.ie/sites/default/files/2020-07/Analysis-of-excess-all-cause-mortality-in-Ireland-during-the-COVID-19-epidemic_0.pdf

As of mid April, in line with World Health Organization (WHO) guidance, death reporting was extended to include deaths both in patients with probable COVID-19 in addition to deaths among confirmed cases.
    By definition, such deaths must result from a clinically compatible illness, in a probable or confirmed COVID-19 case, unless there is a clear alternative cause of death that cannot be related to COVID-19 (for example, trauma).

A lot of probable, probably he died from Covid, in doubt add him/her to the death toll

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,470 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

Allinall wrote: »
    You do realise the members of NPHET were on the same salary before Covid, and will be after COVID?

Exactly

Completed insulated from the harsh reality on the ground

• Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭FlubberJones

Yep, I expect to be travelling prior to this, I'm hoping Aug to be on the continent. Like so many others... I need to get away!!!!

Its great to see so many people out and about. Was out in Howth yesterday and the place was mental. Havent seen it so busy in a long time. Traffic was crazy going into it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭Seanachai

Great to see people on the canal in Phibsboro too, it's not just self-indulgence, it's vital for mental health. Not everybody has company at home or a big garden to chill out in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,999 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Its great to see so many people out and about. Was out in Howth yesterday and the place was mental. Havent seen it so busy in a long time. Traffic was crazy going into it

Sure was! Saturday was extremely busy around places like Malahide and Howth, traffic jams not seen since before the start of the Lockdown, people just sitting in their cars experiencing the novelty of being in a traffic jam for the first time in about 13 months! :eek:

Parks and forestry areas packed, cars parked on top of each other, there's a lot of pent up demand for people who want to get back to normality after these 13+ month restrictions....

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement