Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part X *Read OP For Mod Warnings*

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭moonage

moonage wrote: »
    <Snip>

Random numbers with no source to back them up - you know what forum that belongs in don't you? Not this one ;)

They weren't random numbers—they were UK Government statistics.

So, it's alright to talk about vaccines here as long as they're shown in a positive light. Anything negative is not allowed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,646 ✭✭✭Penfailed

moonage wrote: »
    They weren't random numbers—they were UK Government statistics.

So, it's alright to talk about vaccines here as long as they're shown in a positive light. Anything negative is not allowed.

Sauce?

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Pixies, Ride, Therapy?, Public Service Broadcasting, IDLES(x2), And So I Watch You From Afar

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,470 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

Irish restrictions look about right

https%3A%2F%2Fd6c748xw2pzm8.cloudfront.net%2Fprod%2F3a561d70-a28e-11eb-beab-c33a33fba5da-standard.png?dpr=2&fit=scale-down&quality=medium&source=next&width=700

Haha

13 months of being the worlds strictest most suppressed nation, we now look “about right”

If we were in lockdown until 2050 with food trucks delivering supplies, the same posters would continue to defend the same policies at all costs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 859 ✭✭✭OwenM

Degag wrote: »
    So, what i said yeah?

If you are going to converse like a nine year old don't expect a response that adds anything to the conversation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 859 ✭✭✭OwenM

charlie14 wrote: »
    Other than using case numbers when looking at easing restrictions. what would you suggest Tossing a coin ?

Exactly the wrong thing to look at, large cohorts of vulnerable people are vaccinated, christmas could not happen again now.

Case numbers might be 1000 a day in August and we could be fully open. ICU, deaths and hospital numbers are the numbers to look at.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,123 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

The problem with NPHETs call for less easing of restrictions is thanks to vaccination there is no longer the same correlation between cases and hospitalisation/death.
    We can cope with a higher level of cases before hospitals come under pressure

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,125 ✭✭✭timmyntc

Irish restrictions look about right

https%3A%2F%2Fd6c748xw2pzm8.cloudfront.net%2Fprod%2F3a561d70-a28e-11eb-beab-c33a33fba5da-standard.png?dpr=2&fit=scale-down&quality=medium&source=next&width=700

Weekly change in mobility is a pretty poor metric. Its a trend when we need an absolute.

If we stayed in extreme lockdown from December with no change until now, the trend would be 0% change in mobility. But we would be far stricter than countries that may have instituted some more restrictions (but still way less than us overall).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 787 ✭✭✭RGS

"Earlier, Mr Varadkar told an online event hosted by Goodbody Stockbrokers it was likely to be “June-July at this stage” before a further reopening of hospitality and indoor gatherings were allowed. He said plans for reopening more of society would be approved next week.

However, Mr Varadkar admitted that amid fears in Government that cases may rise in the coming days, he was “not as confident as I might have been a few days ago” about the pace of reopening. A further 401 cases and 15 deaths were reported on Wednesday.

The Tánaiste said the “experience of December-January” made Government “more risk-averse” on reopening."

Taken from the Irish Times.

Leo shooting down his own kites from earlier in the week.

We really have politicians who cant shut up when faced with a microphone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭ypres5

Gael23 wrote: »
    The problem with NPHETs call for less easing of restrictions is thanks to vaccination there is no longer the same correlation between cases and hospitalisation/death.
    We can cope with a higher level of cases before hospitals come under pressure

Exactly, once the elderly and vulnerable are vaccinated then these strict restrictions become completely redundant. I never really understood the obsession with case numbers in the first place

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Haha

13 months of being the worlds strictest most suppressed nation, we now look “about right”

Did you look at a different chart?

Looks like we're now in one of the best positions to relax restrictions, certainly compared to many of our EU neighbours.

If we were in lockdown until 2050 with food trucks delivering supplies, the same posters would continue to defend the same policies at all costs

That's just silly. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,470 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

Graham wrote: »

Looks like we're now in one of the best positions to relax restrictions, certainly compared to many of our EU neighbours.

We were in the best position to relax restrictions in May 2020 knowing what we did about Covid and its danger to only the elderly

Having Europe’s youngest population was a better defence than any vaccine

Here we are though, with the economic prospects of Ireland absolutely obliterated, and continuing as Europe’s most suppressed country for a few more months “just in case”

I wonder will the permanent lockdown defenders on here disappear when the economic catastrophe becomes fully evident in Ireland? The whole “every country is the same” is total rubbish, even France has kept its businesses open despite its “strict lockdown” as reported by RTE

• Registered Users Posts: 1,973 ✭✭✭PeadarCo

OwenM wrote: »
    Exactly the wrong thing to look at, large cohorts of vulnerable people are vaccinated, christmas could not happen again now.

Case numbers might be 1000 a day in August and we could be fully open. ICU, deaths and hospital numbers are the numbers to look at.

The other issue with case numbers is that they are a factor of the amount of tests done. Ie double the number of tests, double the number of cases all else being equal.

Even on day by day basis the numbers are not necessarily comparable. For example the walk in centers for Covid testing are in different locations and are in areas where there are relatively high numbers of existing Covid cases. If you close one centre and open another in a different location the case numbers are not directly comparable. So the graph tracking cases numbers since the pandemic started should come with a big health warning as it graphs data that comes from different data sets and are not directly comparable. That's not to say case numbers aren't useful but they are not the be all and end all.

Stuff like the positivity rate and increasingly the hospital numbers are just as important. They will only become more important as more people get vaccinated and the chances and incidence of serious illness from Covid declines.

The obsession with case numbers is becoming increasingly stupid as the vaccination programme ramps up. 400 cases today and the this time last year are two different things. Last year they were struggling to test everyone who had symptoms and now they are actively seeking out asymptomatic people in addition to the vaccination programme targeting at risk groups.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭dalyboy

RGS wrote: »
    "Earlier, Mr Varadkar told an online event hosted by Goodbody Stockbrokers it was likely to be “June-July at this stage” before a further reopening of hospitality and indoor gatherings were allowed. He said plans for reopening more of society would be approved next week.

However, Mr Varadkar admitted that amid fears in Government that cases may rise in the coming days, he was “not as confident as I might have been a few days ago” about the pace of reopening. A further 401 cases and 15 deaths were reported on Wednesday.

The Tánaiste said the “experience of December-January” made Government “more risk-averse” on reopening."

Taken from the Irish Times.

Leo shooting down his own kites from earlier in the week.

We really have politicians who cant shut up when faced with a microphone.

Yip
    If deaths are not correlated to cases then the rise in cases is 100% irrelevant.
    It’d make you wonder if this will urge NPHET to invent more creative methods to maintain the fear and worryometer.

Ahh
    Correction
    They already have a solution it appears.
    Solution = storage of death number from 3-4 months ago to add to “the daily death announcement”

Example, yesterday .
    “ Two of the deaths announced today happened this month, with three in March, six in February and four in January or earlier, while they aged in range from 56-90 years of age.”

Call me cynical but the line used by NPHET that the delay in recording of covid deaths was due to relatives of the deceased not reporting these deaths until too late is a little bit hard to believe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,141 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

even France has kept its businesses open despite its “strict lockdown” as reported by RTE

Restaurants and cafes in France have been closed since the end of October 2020. That's almost six months continuous, which is longer than here.

Which "businesses" are you referring to, specifically?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,611 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

We were in the best position to relax restrictions in May 2020 knowing what we did about Covid and its danger to only the elderly

Having Europe’s youngest population was a better defence than any vaccine

Here we are though, with the economic prospects of Ireland absolutely obliterated, and continuing as Europe’s most suppressed country for a few more months “just in case”

I wonder will the permanent lockdown defenders on here disappear when the economic catastrophe becomes fully evident in Ireland? The whole “every country is the same” is total rubbish, even France has kept its businesses open despite its “strict lockdown” as reported by RTE

Jesus, utter falsehoods wrapped in perpetual doom mongering.

The pathological misery is being ramped up as restrictions ease and as more vaccinations go into arms.

It is truly bizarre, I imagine there is a simple reason for it though. I'm sure it will manifest itself eventually.

dalyboy wrote: »
    Yip
    If deaths are not correlated to cases then the rise in cases is 100% irrelevant.
    It’d make you wonder if this will urge NPHET to invent more creative methods to maintain the fear and worryometer.

Ahh
    Correction
    They already have a solution it appears.
    Solution = storage of death number from 3-4 months ago to add to “the daily death announcement”

Example, yesterday .
    “ Two of the deaths announced today happened this month, with three in March, six in February and four in January or earlier, while they aged in range from 56-90 years of age.”

Call me cynical but the line used by NPHET that the delay in recording of covid deaths was due to relatives of the deceased not reporting these deaths until too late is a little bit hard to believe.

I'd add conspiracy theorist to that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,976 ✭✭✭Marty Bird

Just reading back over the thread and obesity is already a huge problem and will get much worse as this evolves over time.

It always makes me laugh the amount of people that work advising and who oversee our public health are in that category themselves.

It’s the elephant in the room.

🌞6.02kWp⚡️3.01kWp South/East⚡️3.01kWp West

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

I wonder will the permanent lockdown defenders

There are none.

Talk of permanent lockdowns has pretty much exclusively come from the anti-lockdown posters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,139 ✭✭✭✭normanoffside

PeadarCo wrote: »

Even on day by day basis the numbers are not necessarily comparable. For example the walk in centers for Covid testing are in different locations and are in areas where there are relatively high numbers of existing Covid cases.

They opened one in Kerry last week, Kerry has one of the lowest rates of Covid in Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,982 ✭✭✭Degag

OwenM wrote: »
    If you are going to converse like a nine year old don't expect a response that adds anything to the conversation.

Slightly ironic don’t you think?

Throwing out cheap insults while calling someone else a child?

You took what i said and twisted it to suit your agenda, even though what i said was broadly in line with what you said which is why you got the response that you did.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,999 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

charlie14 wrote: »
    I`m very familiar with small towns, but I also know that counties do not just have small town and villages so where do you draw the line.
    Off the counties you mention Leitrim would have one of the smallest county towns, if not the smallest, Carrick-on-Shannon. Carrick weekends before Covid was hen & stag party central.
    Do you seriously believe if Carrick was in one of these "Green Zones" pubs, restaurants, hotels, B&B`s etc. are going to just cater to locals ?
    I also know small towns well enough to know that Johnny when he`s back home from wherever drinks in a few local pubs with his family, pubs his family have drank in before he was even born, eats in a local restaurant and rocks up one weekend with friends from outside the "Green Zone" is not going to be refused service.
    It`s nonsense and that is not even getting into those from pockets within this "Green Zone" with high numbers that will seemingly have no effect on transmissions due to contact tracing.

It's a sound strategy for reopening the country and living with the Virus, just makes no sense to punish areas where Covid is well under control.. Trust the people and have some faith in them Charlie!

But, the attitude you've spoken about here is typical of the way NPHET and Govt. have treated the Irish people through all this, i.e. Like Children who cannot be trusted..

Bottom line is we need a path out of Covid Lockdown and regionally tailored restrictions are the way out of it and back to some sort or normality...

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭zebastein

Lumen wrote: »
    Restaurants and cafes in France have been closed since the end of October 2020. That's almost six months continuous, which is longer than here.

Which "businesses" are you referring to, specifically?

Personal services (barbers...)

Book shops, disc shops
    Libraries
    Click and collect for retail...

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭11521323

Graham wrote: »
    There are none.

Talk of permanent lockdowns has pretty much exclusively come from the anti-lockdown posters.

It's not a stretch to brand someone who defends a lockdown for as long as it goes on a permanent lockdown supporter?

The Government could u-turn the easing of restrictions and a few here would be straight on to boards, knuckles cracked, ready to defend whatever ridiculous rationale they've used to support their decision.

People often discard logic and the scientific method of validation in favour of blind support for the Government, I think that's what people mean when they summize those people as permanent lockdown supporters.

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭Stormyteacup

Marty Bird wrote: »
    Just reading back over the thread and obesity is already a huge problem and will get much worse as this evolves over time.

It always makes me laugh the amount of people that work advising and who oversee our public health are in that category themselves.

It’s the elephant in the room.

Consider the amount of time and attention given by government, NPHET, and media to measures aimed solely at reducing spread to protect the health service..

It’s almost as if government and NPHET are not all that concerned with the individuals outcome after contracting Covid - main goal is to reduce spread and they’ve spent a huge amount of time identifying the risk factors of spread in minute detail, while paying smallest lip service to measures an individual can take to minimise risk of a serious course of illness.

A 20 year old with with a BMI of 40 is in line for vaccination before a 67 year old with chronic heart disease.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Consider the amount of time and attention given by government, NPHET, and media to measures aimed solely at reducing spread to protect the health service..

It’s almost as if government and NPHET are not all that concerned with the individuals outcome after contracting Covid - main goal is to reduce spread and they’ve spent a huge amount of time identifying the risk factors of spread in minute detail, while paying smallest lip service to measures an individual can take to minimise risk of a serious course of illness.

A 20 year old with with a BMI of 40 is in line for vaccination before a 67 year old with chronic heart disease.

Are they? Where do you get that from?

I guess atm the primary goal is to keep the rate of infection low for everyone regardless of age, underlying condition or any other condition, whilst the vaccination programme is being rolled out.

People are also being encouraged to get and out and exercise after contracting covid. There's a huge amount of information and promotion being pushed atm.

This is just one such piece of the advice published. Lots more out there.

https://www2.hse.ie/conditions/coronavirus/exercise-while-recovering-from-coronavirus.html

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Fago123

Not sure what I'm going to do with myself when Monday rolls around and further restrictions are eased! It's a toss up between a game of tennis or a pet farm! Sure why not both? The world is my oyster! It's like the roaring 20's all over again.

Although I am a bit worried the kids might get too excited about non-contact outdoor training in pods of 15 or less. Want to keep their feet on the ground, can't spoil them too much, they'll think Christmas has come early!

gozunda wrote: »
    Are they? Where do you get that from?

I guess atm the primary goal is to keep the rate of infection low for everyone regardless of age, underlying condition or any other condition, whilst the vaccination programme is being rolled out.

People are also being encouraged to get and out and exercise after contracting covid. There's a huge amount of information and promotion being pushed atm.

This is just one such piece of the advice published. Lots more out there.

https://www2.hse.ie/conditions/coronavirus/exercise-while-recovering-from-coronavirus.html

BMI >40 aged 16 - 69 are in group 4.

Yes it’s good people are being encouraged to get exercising after contracting Covid - but my point was we’ve been almost a year with the knowledge of obesity as a high or very high risk factor for a serious course of Covid. It should have been highlighted early on, how many people would be more proactive in reducing their weight with the danger being widely known?

Many people simply are not aware of the level of risk being overweight has on the outcome of a Covid infection.

At the very least a publicity campaign should have been rolled out across the media to create awareness on how to help protect against serious illness by losing weight, alongside the campaigns to protect against contracting it in the first place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,999 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Many people simply are not aware of the level of risk being overweight has on the outcome of a Covid infection.
    At the very least a publicity campaign should have been rolled out across the media to create awareness on how to help protect against serious illness by losing weight, alongside the campaigns to protect against contracting it in the first place.

The Focus has been simply on the "Stay at home" message, nothing else... Seems to be no real strategy for sports apart from those which generate revenue and are done by the very wealthy, i.e. Horse racing.

People banned from going for a jog or a cycle with anyone or traveling to somewhere it's safe to have a walk for fear of being handed a €100 fine by the Gards and told to go home... No restrictions on the sale of cheap Alcohol or junk foods being delivered to your door...

Yes it’s good people are being encouraged to get exercising after contracting Covid - but my point was we’ve been almost a year with the knowledge of obesity as a high or very high risk factor for a serious course of Covid. It should have been highlighted early on, how many people would be more proactive in reducing their weight with the danger being widely known?

Exactly because they always say prevention is better than cure so being a healthy weight, eating properly, exercising regularly could all have been part of a campaign to keep everyone healthier and fitter. Every bit would have helped.

• Advertisement

gansi wrote: »
    Exactly because they always say prevention is better than cure so being a healthy weight, eating properly, exercising regularly could all have been part of a campaign to keep everyone healthier and fitter. Every bit would have helped.

You mean like preventing the spread of the virus?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,012 ✭✭✭✭titan18

gansi wrote: »

Ya, but closing the gyms doesn't exactly help with the losing weight part. I've gained weight and gone from being outside cohort 7 to well into cohort 7 over the year. All we've been able to do for most of the year is sit inside and eat and get fat. Going for a walk or a jog in the same 5k the whole year isn't exactly very conductive for good exercise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭SAMTALK

titan18 wrote: »
    Ya, but closing the gyms doesn't exactly help with the losing weight part. I've gained weight and gone from being outside cohort 7 to well into cohort 7 over the year. All we've been able to do for most of the year is sit inside and eat and get fat. Going for a walk or a jog in the same 5k the whole year isn't exactly very conductive for good exercise.

On the flip side I've lost weight in the last year and walk 6 /7 times a week,
    so it is not all about the gyms being closed in fairness

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    People banned from going for a jog or a cycle with anyone

Utter falsehood, exercise with another household is and was permitted.

Jesus is it any wonder you stated yesterday you have been locked down for 13 months.
    No restrictions on the sale of cheap Alcohol or junk foods being delivered to your door...

Huh? restrictions on food during a pandemic.

Super idea.

They are indeed - but that's just those in the highest bmi category. Group 4 also covers those with who are attending hospital or have had transplants etc for their condition and that includes chronic heart conditions. Otherwise those with BMI >35 Kg/m2 and other chronic heart disease fall into group 5.

It was you who bemoaned about the HSE not encouraging people to exercise after contracting covid. And that's not the case.
    It’s almost as if government and NPHET are not all that concerned with the individuals outcome after contracting Covid 

And remember its not only bmi which is listed as a co-morbidity.

And yes there are public campaigns to help people get fitter, loose weight. Though oddly you seemed to be solely focused on people's who may be over bmi guidelines to the absolute exclusion of every thing else as if that would stop covid in its tracks. It won't.

Another person confined to 5km for a whole year?

Where in the name of Jesus are ye getting your information from?

I think I have actually identified a large part of the problem here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭franciscanpunk

Just looking at some figures i seen in article there, the north has about 60% of adults with a fiirst dose. Why is there no demand for easing of restrictions up there? They seem to be relatively happy keep restrictions in place.

Is it they dont want to be seen to be doing the same as England? same with Scotland and Wales will they remain with restrictions longer than England to see how it goes. I have never actually seen anything in any UK country about a public and business demand or even a want to ease restrictions?
    all areas have similar vaccine levels i assume

SAMTALK wrote: »
    On the flip side I've lost weight in the last year and walk 6 /7 times a week,
    so it is not all about the gyms being closed in fairness

Fair play, i was doing well before last March by going to a PT but then that all got closed down and it's been tough. I've never been the best on controlling the food so I was losing weight by out exercising it. Not much of a runner as I hate it, so been a long year of putting on weight for me. If gyms had been open, I'd at least have had that option to lose weight there.

Boggles wrote: »

All the talk about NPHET and Government being over the top with anything they do and yet when people are giving out about them it's all exaggerated and OTT
    and mis information

Nothing about the vaccines being rolled out and how it will impact us in the next few months

Tbf, out of the 13 months, the non 5k part was effectively last July, August and September, and some of the early months were 2k, so it's been pretty much the best part of a year restricted to that for exercise.

Fair play, i was doing well before last March by going to a PT but then that all got closed down and it's been tough. I've never been the best on controlling the food so I was losing weight by out exercising it. Not much of a runner as I hate it, so been a long year of putting on weight for me. If gyms had been open, I'd at least have had that option to lose weight there.

I get that some people like the gym and find any other excercise is not for them but don't let it get to you. Hopefully you will get back to the gym in the next few weeks and get back on track. Good luck

• Advertisement

They are indeed - but that's just those in the highest bmi category. Group 4 also covers those with who are attending hospital or have had transplants etc for their condition and that includes chronic heart conditions. Otherwise those with BMI >35 Kg/m2 and other chronic heart disease fall into group 5.

It was you who bemoaned about the HSE not encouraging people to exercise after contracting covid. And that's not the case.

And remember its not only bmi which is listed as a co-morbidity.

And yes there are public campaigns to help people getting fitter, loose weight. Though oddly you seemed to be solely focused on people's who may be over bmi guidelines to the absolute exclusion of every thing else as if tgat would stop covid in its tracks. It won't.

No you are incorrect I wasn’t moaning about the HSE not encouraging people to exercise after contracting Covid.

I was criticising the lack of awareness that being overweight will increase your risk of serious illness after contracting Covid.

Clearly being overweight is not the only risk factor for serious illness. However it is in the top three alongside heart disease and age.

It has nothing to do with stopping Covid in its tracks. It’s about giving people the information to best protect themselves from serious illness should they be unfortunate enough to contract Covid.

Just looking at some figures i seen in article there, the north has about 60% of adults with a fiirst dose. Why is there no demand for easing of restrictions up there? They seem to be relatively happy keep restrictions in place.

Is it they dont want to be seen to be doing the same as England? same with Scotland and Wales will they remain with restrictions longer than England to see how it goes. I have never actually seen anything in any UK country about a public and business demand or even a want to ease restrictions?

I suppose like the south and according to some on this thread - it's mainly because of the historical influence of the Catholic Church which makes for a complient population.

... oh wait

Do you not watch the news? Northern Ireland starting to ease restrictions over the next few weeks starting tomorrow

SAMTALK wrote: »
    I get that some people like the gym and find any other excercise is not for them but don't let it get to you. Hopefully you will get back to the gym in the next few weeks and get back on track. Good luck

Ya, I hope so. To me exercise is a lot easier in classes where there's a bit of social activity or with a personal trainer so I'm hoping if I get vaccinated next month, I'm good for June if gyms reopen then (not sure are they being included with hairdressers as personal services or not)

No you are incorrect I wasn’t moaning about the HSE not encouraging people to exercise after contracting Covid.

I was criticising the lack of awareness that being overweight will increase your risk of serious illness after contracting Covid.

Clearly being overweight is not the only risk factor for serious illness. However it is in the top three alongside heart disease and age.

It has nothing to do with stopping Covid in its tracks. It’s about giving people the information to best protect themselves from serious illness should they be unfortunate enough to contract Covid.

Oh yes you were ....
    It’s almost as if government and NPHET are not all that concerned with the individuals outcome after contracting Covid 

Oh yes you were ....

Ah I see. To explain, when I say outcome after contracting Covid I mean risk of hospitalisation or not, risk of ICU admittance and risk of death.

Tbf, out of the 13 months, the non 5k part was effectively last July, August and September, and some of the early months were 2k, so it's been pretty much the best part of a year restricted to that for exercise.

TBF.

8th of June to 21st of October, December and currently most of April.

If you were confined to 5km for the past 12/13 months, that was by choice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 975 ✭✭✭Parachutes

Sorry you could go to the shop too :rolleyes:

Stop trying to move the goalposts. We’ve been under one form of restriction or another for 13 months.

Going for a walk or a jog in the same 5k the whole year isn't exactly very conductive for good exercise.
    Parachutes wrote: »
    Sorry you could go to the shop too :rolleyes:

Stop trying to move the goalposts. We’ve been under one form of restriction or another for 13 months.

Sorry did just leg out to the car park with the goal posts whilst simultaneously telling me not to move them?

Unique.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,214 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

It's a sound strategy for reopening the country and living with the Virus, just makes no sense to punish areas where Covid is well under control.. Trust the people and have some faith in them Charlie!

But, the attitude you've spoken about here is typical of the way NPHET and Govt. have treated the Irish people through all this, i.e. Like Children who cannot be trusted..

Bottom line is we need a path out of Covid Lockdown and regionally tailored restrictions are the way out of it and back to some sort or normality...

It`s a sound strategy for opening the country if the numbers stay as they are and there are enough people vaccinated to keep numbers at a minimum so we do not have to go into another lockdown.

Your hodgepodge of "Green Zones" of small towns and villages scattered around the country with enforcement by these communities is not going to achieve that.
    There are few things I enjoy more than a good session in small towns and villages. I am also enough of a realist to know that a local, or the son or daughter of a local, walking into a pub, restaurant or shop with friends from outside this "Green Zone" is not going to be refused service.
    From someone who asked me did I know small local communities to believe otherwise is bonkers.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement