Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part X *Read OP For Mod Warnings*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

Boggles wrote: »
    French People in Intensive Care for COVID 19 at a 2021 High

Flu Season in France is dragging on a bit isn't it?

Forget about France or Florida or anywhere else.

Do you think that if we had 5,000 cases today, we would need the same amount of hospital capacity as we needed for 5,000 cases back in late Dec/Jan?

Just answer that question please?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,858 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    The stupidity of these "rules" is massive

Was out over lunch looking for a cheap, light jacket for my evening walks so called into Dunnes. They had 2 you could buy, but not the one I wanted less than 12 foot away in the same section (those were blocked off with boxes).

I know it's been covered many times before but it's still absolutely ridiculous.

Homestore more can't sell plates/knives/forks etc, but Dunnes can.
    But homestore can sell cup cake equipment!!

Just order online from Dunnes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 859 ✭✭✭OwenM

Do you think that if we had 5,000 cases today, we would need the same amount of hospital capacity as we needed for 5,000 cases back in late Dec/Jan?

He won't, wait for the misdirection or change of subject....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,617 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

If we recorded one day of 5,000 cases, no.

But you do know that's not how this works right?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 859 ✭✭✭OwenM

If we recorded one day of 5,000 cases, no.

But you do know that's not how this works right?

It actually is how it works, because large numbers of vulnerable people are vaccinated and seasonality.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,214 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

niallo27 wrote: »
    The matches are on in June. Nobody said now.

So you believe we should allow crowds of 11,000 by June.
    Have you any criteria for doing that by June, or is it just based on "because somewhere else thinks its a good idea"

You know like that pesky science stuff on vaccinations and case numbers.

Few days ago in Sweden a country with just twice our population at the same level of vaccinations, or even a bit higher than Ireland, but with light touch restrictions over 400 in ICU and 2,133 in hospital beds due to Covid.

just saying.

OwenM wrote: »
    It actually is how it works, because large numbers of vulnerable people are vaccinated and seasonality.

Huh? :confused:

So we record 5,000 cases today and seasonality?

What season is it currently in France as they approach the peak of 6,000 in ICU?

Or Sweden for that matter who at this stage must have high levels of acquired immunity?

Yes, it’s really that bad’: Several Swedish regions reach maximum intensive care capacity
    Several Swedish regions have reached their maximum capacity for intensive care and been forced to ask other regions for help as the continued high spread of Covid-19 is leading to more people – especially young people – requiring hospital treatment.
    Health Minister Lena Hallengren called a briefing on Wednesday to underline the severity of the situation in the nation’s intensive care departments.

In several places in the healthcare sector, more people are being cared for than at any time during the pandemic,”

EzgsLoQWQAENw8T?format=png&name=small

The matches are on in June. Nobody said now.

The Euros kick of in 7 weeks, UEFA tried to dictate public health during a pandemic.

They were told (rightly) they could do not do that, so they fúcked off.

What's the problem?

UEFA are solely about making profit, or did you believe all that wambulance talk about "the fans" when the super league was touted?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,946 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Just order online from Dunnes

You're missing the point... of course I can just order from Dunnes (or a better one elsewhere), but I was looking for something quickly and cheap enough in the interim.

There's no reason why they can sell some jackets but not others.. or some clothing but not others. Not when it's all in the same section anyway.

As I will probably get a better one online instead (and likely from a UK based company), that's a sale lost locally and domestically which isn't an insignificant issue when you look at just how much is being bought online from abroad at the moment.

Will these people return to shopping locally when the selection is limited and just as/more expensive than the online option? Even Irish online retail suffers both of these issues.

We're causing untold damage to the economy for nonsensical, illogical rules and "just in case" methodology.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

The stupidity of these "rules" is massive

Was out over lunch looking for a cheap, light jacket for my evening walks so called into Dunnes. They had 2 you could buy, but not the one I wanted less than 12 foot away in the same section (those were blocked off with boxes).

I know it's been covered many times before but it's still absolutely ridiculous.

Hop the boxes and buy one. If needs be go to a self service till.

Will these people return to shopping locally when the selection is limited and just as/more expensive than the online option?

Maybe someone can fire up the footage from Pennies the last couple of times it reopened.

Like a scene from the famine when the bread cart rolled in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,930 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

When you sit down and think about it 'how ****ing ridiculous' are some of the those rules. Does covid know the difference between buying milk and buying a jacket/toy.

It's like something out of the Killinaskully, our leaders all highly intelligent people signing off on these makes its worse

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Allinall

PTH2009 wrote: »
    When you sit down and think about it 'how ****ing ridiculous' are some of the those rules. Does covid know the difference between buying milk and buying a jacket/toy.

It's like something out of the Killinaskully, our leaders all highly intelligent people signing off on these makes its worse

It's essential V non essential.

Unbelievable that after a year this still has to be explained.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,930 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Allinall wrote: »

I know its non essential it's just ridiculous why the gap is there (not having a go at you btw)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,125 ✭✭✭timmyntc

How are clothes not deemed essential?
    If they wont let me run around in the nip, then they should at least let me buy clothes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,873 ✭✭✭hynesie08

Right, I mean no other country on the planet closed non essential retail..... Except for all the ones that did.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 617 ✭✭✭afro man

Hop the boxes and buy one. If needs be go to a self service till.

In My local Dunnes we were told unofficially to ask staff if you needed anything in out of bounds area and they would go get it for you

How is one jacket essential, and another (a few feet away) isn't?

timmyntc wrote: »
    How are clothes not deemed essential?
    If they wont let me run around in the nip, then they should at least let me buy clothes

Do you not have clothes?

Underwear and work clothes are deemed essential and can be bought in Dunnes, Tescos etc.

• Advertisement

afro man wrote: »
    In My local Dunnes we were told unofficially to ask staff if you needed anything in out of bounds area and they would go get it for you

Will give that a go in the morning so.

How is one jacket essential, and another (a few feet away) isn't?

I don't know.

Maybe ask Dunnes?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

What are you talking about, my post said nothing about this, but hey "pints".

Hi Hey "Pints"

I was referring to this piece of erh wisdom

niallo27 wrote:
    Yes really, you can still get the virus if you vaccinated. Now its doesn't matter a **** because you wont get sick, but tell that to Tony and crew.

Hence
    Is that you are just catching up on this now?

You're less likley to get seriously ill if you are vaccinated.

So far we are at 17.8% first vaccines administered and 7.33% second dose vaccines administered (out of the total population)

But hey let's ignore that and do our own thing right?

Even the UK and Isreal didn't start to open until they had a significant amount of the total population vaccinated. Yeah but we know better than them. Fek "Tony and his crew" eh?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Maybe someone can fire up the footage from Pennies the last couple of times it reopened.

Like a scene from the famine when the bread cart rolled in.

And what drove that demand do you think?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

charlie14 wrote: »
    So you believe we should allow crowds of 11,000 by June.
    Have you any criteria for doing that by June, or is it just based on "because somewhere else thinks its a good idea"

You know like that pesky science stuff on vaccinations and case numbers.

That pesky science stuff, is every other country in Europe who is allowing the matches wrong so. Is the science in Ireland superior that we know something the rest of Europe doesn't.

And what drove that demand do you think?

Clothes for children made by children?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Of course it doesn't and you're not daft so I doubt you think that's the reason.

More people moving around = more people passing on the virus.

Restrictions reduce the number of people moving around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭The Big Easy

If something still needs to be explained after a year, maybe there's something at play more than individual intelligence?!

Essential versus non-essential is largely arbitrary nonsense. Telling people who's work is or is not essential. Let's be real here, if we were really dealing with essential, there'd be feck all happening anywhere.

So, instead we have the largely made up nonsense of closed off isles, open garden centres and bargain stores. Meanwhile some people's jobs are gone, possibly for the rest of their working life, while essential accountants drive into Dublin every day.

OwenM wrote: »
    We haven't randomly vaccinated 17.8%. The most vulnerable are being done first, this justifies, along with the seasonality of the virus a faster opening of society.

Neither did the UK or Israel.

Germany a bit ahead of us with vaccination afaik. They've also prioritised the vulnerable first. They started ruling back their restrictions and despite nearly being into May (outside of seasonality parameters) - they're currently facing increased restrictions following a rapid rise in the rate of infection.

Let's not throw the baby out with the bathwater just yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭Corby Trouser Press

The Euros kick of in 7 weeks, UEFA tried to dictate public health during a pandemic.

They were told (rightly) they could do not do that, so they fúcked off.

What's the problem?

UEFA are solely about making profit, or did you believe all that wambulance talk about "the fans" when the super league was touted?

Hahaha.

No.

UEFA said to have a tenable competition we should aim for 25% minimum capacity.

Some countries said no problem, we can do that, we can probably do 50% actually.

Others said hmmm, we can maybe make that work, yeah.

Ireland just sat there, like a startled rabbit in headlights, knowing that a demoralised defeated population wouldn't really give a shít about a few matches going ahead in Dublin when they are actually thinking about will I even be able to get a haircut by Mid-June.

So we did nothing and now we have nothing.

And it's an embarrassment.

A stark illustration of a lack of forward planning, self-confidence and how we are lead by fear.

Nobody was told to "fúck off".

UEFA have just shrugged their shoulders and said "OK Paddy, you're not up to it, everyone else is so we will find somewhere else!"

• Advertisement

UEFA said to have a tenable competition we should aim for 25% minimum capacity.

Was the competition not tenable if that was 10% or 0%?

Is the champions league this season not tenable?
    And it's an embarrassment.

You're embarrassed? I imagine you are firmly in the minority as the vast majority of the country couldn't give 2 fúcks if a few matches in a tournament we were not in gets played or not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,111 ✭✭✭RGARDINR

So will the guards be out in force come Fri on the roads leading up to the North expecting a big rush of people trying to go up. Nearly tempted myself but in Dublin so I think be a gamble.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭dalyboy

RGARDINR wrote: »
    So will the guards be out in force come Fri on the roads leading up to the North expecting a big rush of people trying to go up. Nearly tempted myself but in Dublin so I think be a gamble.

Barbers and hairdressers opened in the north this morning.
    Apparently good few southern reg cars up around Newry (fair play to them)
    Botox “doctors” are reporting a lot of southern ladies appointments for today and next week.

Great to see a return to normal

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭Corby Trouser Press

Was the competition not tenable if that was 10% or 0%?

Is the champions league this season not tenable?

You're embarrassed? I imagine you are firmly in the minority as the vast majority of the country couldn't give 2 fúcks if a few matches in a tournament we were not in gets played or not.

If the governments in Denmark and Holland aren't questioning UEFA motives re ticket sales and a tenable tournament that's good enough for me.

In the grand scale of things these matches being hosted elsewhere doesn't matter at all.

It is not going to be a big consumer tourist boom for Dublin like originally envisaged.

It is just what it represents about where we are as a country and how we are standing out alone (again!) as a special case.

Construction
    Attendance at Church Services
    Mandatory Hotel Quarantine

And now this another string to our bow.

Yes, embarrassing.

We just cannot seem to deliver anything.

That pesky science stuff, is every other country in Europe who is allowing the matches wrong so. Is the science in Ireland superior that we know something the rest of Europe doesn't.

Back up there a sec.
    What is this science that these countries are basing their decision on. Case numbers and vaccination level based on the experience of others. Or similar to India. fingers crossed and hoping it will be ok ?

If the governments in Denmark and Holland aren't questioning UEFA motives re ticket sales and a tenable tournament that's good enough for me.

Both in the tournament, both host nations.
    In the grand scale of things these matches being hosted elsewhere doesn't matter at all.

I never get embarrassed by things that don't matter at all. Maybe it is just me.

We just cannot seem to deliver anything.

Apart from reopening and emptying the hospitals, whilst some of those host countries are going through the horrors of a new wave of infection and having to introduce further restrictions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭facehugger99

Back up there a sec.
    What is this science that these countries are basing their decision on. Case numbers and vaccination level based on the experience of others. Or similar to India. fingers crossed and hoping it will be ok ?

You're right.

Paddy's smarter than everywhere else.

Sure didn't we invent the 'avoid going into lockdown by staying in lockdown' strategy.

Smart lads, the fellas we have - lucky to have them. God bless Michael, Leo and Tony and all the rest of the brains trust.

*tugs forelock

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,111 ✭✭✭RGARDINR

dalyboy wrote: »
    Barbers and hairdressers opened in the north this morning.
    Apparently good few southern reg cars up around Newry (fair play to them)
    Botox “doctors” are reporting a lot of southern ladies appointments for today and next week.

Great to see a return to normal
    ha I will need an excuse if I do

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,658 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

You do know that cook book author is an absolute bullshíttíng grifter right?

I hope you have not given him money, he is an absolute snake peddling lies to the weak minded.

I dont know the video and I dont know the man. I assume he says mortality tables go from January to December, not from March to March.

I can tell you that is not a lie.

Does that sum it up?

• Advertisement

Back up there a sec.

Pardon my stupidity here, can you just answer the question if you can, why are we the only country in Europe to say no, if our vaccine roll out is on track and our case numbers continue to be low. Are we basing our decisions on different criteria.

gozunda wrote: »
    Neither did the UK or Israel.

Germany a bit ahead of us with vaccination afaik. They've also prioritised the vulnerable first. They started ruling back their restrictions and despite nearly being into May (outside of seasonality parameters) - they're currently facing increased restrictions following a rapid rise in the rate of infection.

Let's not throw the baby out with the bathwater just yet.

The same germans who can fly to Spain for their holidays, them germans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

I dont know the video and I dont know the man. I assume he says mortality tables go from January to December, not from March to March.

Does that sum it up?

Actually he said to compare impact of viral infections on death rates you go from Oct-Sept, our flu season begins in Oct...to examine the excess mortality from year to year.

Which would make sense, as you encompass one flu season not two....

But we all know there wasn't 3,200 excess deaths directly as a result of Covid...many of us have been saying it for some time, the video just explains better than I can.

They hauled out an Oceanographer in Maynooth, who made an assertion that if we hadn't locked down in Jan the fire would have ripped through the country wreeking havoc....not a jot of science to back that up of course!!!

RTE is a shambles!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,480 ✭✭✭robbiezero

Couldn't give a crap about the soccer, but its a further illustration that our Covid response is being led by clueless, cowardly, ass-covering, one-trick ponies who simply haven't a rashers how to try and live with this virus and are scared to even try, when its not doing them any harm.

I had the misfortune to see a bit of Lisa Chambers on the Tonight Show last night, so the above is no surprise. She was like Helen Lovejoy's idiot sister.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭TomSweeney

God, RTE **** over the situation in France and India ... like they really are using it to justify the endless lockdown they want here.

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Windmill100000

TomSweeney wrote: »
    God, RTE **** over the situation in France and India ... like they really are using it to justify the endless lockdown they want here.

Or maybe it's that our numbers have plateud circa 400-500 a day that is the reason we aren't moving forward with reopening.

• Advertisement

Or maybe it's that our numbers have plateud circa 400-500 a day that is the reason we aren't moving forward with reopening.

Increased case numbers are not equal to increased hospitalisations, ICU admittance, or deaths.

Those are the important metrics, not obsessing about cases in people who probably don't even realise they have it.

Actually he said to compare impact of viral infections on death rates you go from Oct-Sept, our flu season begins in Oct...to examine the excess mortality from year to year.

So he cut out over half the pandemic to suit his grift?

:pac:

Honestly though, don't give him money.

Does that sum it up?

I didn't watch it like I said.

He is a cook book author who can use advanced excel and ms graphs.

He peddles lies to the weak minded in return for their money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 787 ✭✭✭RGS

robbiezero wrote: »
    Couldn't give a crap about the soccer, but its a further illustration that our Covid response is being led by clueless, cowardly, ass-covering, one-trick ponies who simply haven't a rashers how to try and live with this virus and are scared to even try, when its not doing them any harm.

I had the misfortune to see a bit of Lisa Chambers on the Tonight Show last night, so the above is no surprise. She was like Helen Lovejoy's idiot sister.

Agreed. Saw some of lisa chambers and my God she was awful. At one stage she appeared to snigger at o toibin arguments. No wonder mayo kicked her out of the dail last year.

The same germans who can fly to Spain for their holidays, them germans.

Yup the same Germans who have effectively lockdowned their own country to tourism.

They really have the whole thing licked ...

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement