Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part X *Read OP For Mod Warnings*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

This culture we have developed of taking videos of outdoor gatherings and posting them on social media is the worst thing about this last year.
    It has caused a lot of our over the top restrictions as well as a culture of curtain twitching and social media outrage which has driven government policy.

I happened to overhear Radio 1 on Sunday (on in the background) and all morning they were talking about the 'disgraceful scenes' from Salthill like it had a world war 3 level of importance.

Stones and glass houses comes to mind thinking of RTE.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭funnydoggy

Hellrazer wrote: »
    Tonys latest letter to Donnelly up now.

https://www.gov.ie/en/collection/ba4aa0-letters-from-the-cmo-to-the-minister-for-health/

Its not as negative as I thought it would be - especially coming from Tony!!!

Page 3 is the usual "next 2 weeks are crucial" bull**** though!!!

Stephen: 👍

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

bear1 wrote: »
    Being allowed to go the zoo? Doesn't really mean much to those that don't live in Dublin does it?
    50 at a funeral but weddings no? Logic?
    Comparing us to Israel and the UK is pointless as they got their **** together much earlier.
    We've politicians that day in day out change their minds and rely on what one group says.
    It's an embarrassment.

You got "zoo's" from entirety of that comment - seriously?

The government (whether you like them or otherwise) are trying to get everyone vaccinated and keep the rate of infection down

Every school child in the country back in the classroom. You can travel to any outdoor location any where in your county plus 20km if need be. You can meet up with others. You can go exexcise. But yeah "zoos" ...

As for weddings and funerals - yeah they tend involve extended periods of indoor mixing over periods of time with lots of close contact and are occasions where its difficult to maintain social distancing. Mass not so much whilst also indoor - is relatively short and social distancing can be enforced.

You know what- no matter what will be done - there will be people whinging and complaining that it doesn't suit them personally yada yada yada. Yeah that's sure an embarrassment alright ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

PTH2009 wrote: »
    NPHET will once again remind us 'it was the virus's fault not ours'

Well it isnt their fault actually, nothing to do with them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,471 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

https://www.gov.ie/en/collection/ba4aa0-letters-from-the-cmo-to-the-minister-for-health/

More rubbish about a variant that doesn’t exist that the vaccine might not work effectively on if it did

How much are we paying these to type up this vomit?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,139 ✭✭✭✭normanoffside

I'm surprised there are still 13 deaths caused by Hospital Outbreaks and 3 caused by Nursing home outbreaks.
    That's a third of the total (47) deaths recorded in April so far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,710 ✭✭✭Speak Now

So will hotel's that open in June have to wait until July for indoor dining??

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 452 ✭✭Sharpyshoot

More rubbish about a variant that doesn’t exist that the vaccine might not work effectively on if it did

How much are we paying these to type up this vomit?

Nearly half a million a year. Nphet want this circus to go for another few years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭KanyeSouthEast

J&J vaccine for over 50s only as per NIAC. What a time to be Irish#proud

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 787 ✭✭✭RGS

gozunda wrote: »
    You got "zoo's" from entirety of that comment - seriously

You can travel to any outdoor location any where in your county plus 20km if need be......

Hate to burst your bubble that's incorrect.

You can travel within your county or within 20kms of your home if crossing county boundaries.

https://www.gov.ie/en/publication/2dc71-level-5/#your-quick-guide-to-the-changes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 787 ✭✭✭RGS

It's a joke. I'm happy I'm in my 50s so I will likely get the j&j jab.

If theres a way to slow down the re opening of the country our medics will find a way.

They were hung on their own petard by their decision on the AZ jab. So j&j is for over 50s but az with the same clot concerns is for the over 60s.

Figure that one out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,123 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

The J&J restriction won’t make any material difference. We only have 600k doses so they will all be allocated to over 50s

• Registered Users Posts: 15,217 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

RGS wrote: »
    It's a joke. I'm happy I'm in my 50s so I will likely get the j&j jab.

If theres a way to slow down the re opening of the country our medics will find a way.

They were hung on their own petard by their decision on the AZ jab. So j&j is for over 50s but az with the same clot concerns is for the over 60s.

Figure that one out.

What are the chances that we will have the same people whinging now about the curtails on the AZ and J&J vaccine as we had whinging about these vaccines being rushed in testing blah blah
    You know, the same people that virtually guaranteed that the safety monitoring off these vaccines is now at a ridiculous high level.

I wonder will they be able to figure out that you cannot have it both ways.

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭muddypuppy

Gael23 wrote: »
    The J&J restriction won’t make any material difference. We only have 600k doses so they will all be allocated to over 50s

Yeah, honestly I was worried it was going to be 60+. 50+ doesn't really make a difference, especially if it will be allowed "for younger people if there is no option of another vaccine, and for those who live in hard to reach communities." as RTE is reporting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

RGS wrote: »
    Hate to burst your bubble that's incorrect.

You can travel within your county or within 20kms of your home if crossing county boundaries.

https://www.gov.ie/en/publication/2dc71-level-5/#your-quick-guide-to-the-changes

Yeah that's where the "if needs be" bit was. I really couldn't be arsed typing the whole thing out again - only to be presented with 'zoos' or similar like the last time

But sure whatever ... bubbles ...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,217 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

muddypuppy wrote: »
    Yeah, honestly I was worried it was going to be 60+. 50+ doesn't really make a difference, especially if it will be allowed "for younger people if there is no option of another vaccine, and for those who live in hard to reach communities." as RTE is reporting.

Make a major difference in that it is a one shot vaccine. Especially so for hard to reach communities

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Ibec now calling for a clear reopening plan

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/ibec-calls-for-clear-roadmap-for-reopening-of-the-economy-1.4548233?mode=amp
    Business and employers group Ibec has sought a clear roadmap for the reopening of the economy with dates and trigger points, which would enable business to prepare, in a letter sent to Government on Monday evening.

The group also warns that “vague sentiments about the summer will be outdoors is not a plan”, telling Government that businesses need specific guidance to prepare for a safe reopening in the summer.

Ibec chief Danny McCoy also says that keeping businesses in a Level 5 lockdown, when “circumstances have considerably improved, is both undermining confidence and the sense of equity as society moves ahead of the guidance”.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,468 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Again, has to be asked; what expertise do our lads possess that other countries don't?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,045 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

lawred2 wrote: »
    Again, has to be asked; what expertise do our lads possess that other countries don't?

An abundance of caution

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,468 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Stheno wrote: »

IBEC have been oddly quiet really... it's about time they piped up

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

lawred2 wrote: »
    IBEC have been oddly quiet really... it's about time they piped up

I think the weekend announcements woke them up

"Mass outdoor gatherings in public spaces are now commonplace. These are occurring in largely unregulated and unsupervised circumstances. In order to provide safer and properly controlled settings for social gatherings, the return of outdoor hospitality must be supported with preparation time begun immediately for opening up early May,” the group says."

Darn tootin'. Common sense must prevail instead of irrational caution. That one trick pony Holohan and his faux 'concern' for the populace should be told in no uncertain terms where to go. Ball is now firmly in the court of the government, the voting public are watching with great interest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

given that its only coming in June or hell knows when and putting up message that its good for actually next range that need to be vaccinated, gov are shooting themselves in the foot if basically every vaccine is good for old people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,939 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

At this stage i won't be seeing any concerts in either Ireland or elsewhere for 2021

Ireland is self explanatory as imo i dont think Mass gatherings like Arena/stadium events will still not be permitted for the rest of 2021

With the way the vaccine rollout is going and im in the less risk group of 34-26 i won't be fully vaccinated til god knows when and i wont be permitted to travel so can't go abroad then

****ing Ireland

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭Indestructable

At this stage i won't be seeing any concerts in either Ireland or elsewhere for 2021

Ireland is self explanatory as imo i dont think Mass gatherings like Arena/stadium events will still not be permitted for the rest of 2021

With the way the vaccine rollout is going and im in the less risk group of 34-26 i won't be fully vaccinated til god knows when and i wont be permitted to travel so can't go abroad then

****ing Ireland

Chris De Burgh was cancelled today, due to be on October 10 in the Bord Gais. Covid cited as the reason. So yeah unlikely there will be events of any kind in this country.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,873 ✭✭✭hynesie08

****ing Ireland

At 90%+ efficiency and setting numbers records daily?

hynesie08 wrote: »
    At 90%+ efficiency and setting numbers records daily?

Supply will be an issue when the high risk groups are done

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Ok, so Az and J&J are for over 50's, shouldnt they just start doing under 50's with Pfizer and Moderna now?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

Bon Jovi confirmed Leopardstown today for Saturday 22 May!! It’s a drive-in screeching tho.... but still a concert eh lol

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,465 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

IBEC are spot on.

One of the lowest incidence rates and rapid vaccine rollout, with enough vaccines to vaccinate the country by the end of summer and we remain under harsh lockdown with few businesses open.

* Non essential retail closed with people rammed into supermarkets causing no outbreaks. Large department and clothes stores closed. Clothes easily bought online with no benefit to the economy
    * Outdoor dining closed/outdoor pints closed with takeaway pints being served en masse and no issue being consumed in large uncontrolled congregations in parks and along streets
    * Strong hints against anything indoor being open yet indoor opened last summer with no massive surge (the R number went above 1 when restaurants opened last year yet it didn't go near 2. Indoor dining should 100% be feasible with in excess of 50/60% of the population vaccinated due to the associated reduction in transmission)
    * No plan for the future of the aviation sector, or international travel for an island completely reliant on aviation.

The lack of any sort of exit strategy is obscene at this stage. We can forecast with some degree of reliability how much of the country will be vaccinated and when. It needs to happen now before business owners, both large and small, are driven round the twist. Make it data driven with key targets and triggers if necessary. If we get to x% vaccinated we will open y. etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,873 ✭✭✭hynesie08

Supply will be an issue when the high risk groups are done

You basing that on anything?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,621 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Chris De Burgh was cancelled today, due to be on October 10 in the Bord Gais. Covid cited as the reason. So yeah unlikely there will be events of any kind in this country.

Well that's the final straw!

:mad:

Boggles wrote: »
    Well that's the final straw!

:mad:

I bet he still won't 'pay the Ferryman' anyway :D

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭Aph2016

The lockdown ends the minute the we say goodbye to the PUP, when it hits €203 that's when the **** hits the fan.

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭B2021M

marno21 wrote: »
    IBEC are spot on.

One of the lowest incidence rates and rapid vaccine rollout, with enough vaccines to vaccinate the country by the end of summer and we remain under harsh lockdown with few businesses open.

* Non essential retail closed with people rammed into supermarkets causing no outbreaks. Large department and clothes stores closed. Clothes easily bought online with no benefit to the economy
    * Outdoor dining closed/outdoor pints closed with takeaway pints being served en masse and no issue being consumed in large uncontrolled congregations in parks and along streets
    * Strong hints against anything indoor being open yet indoor opened last summer with no massive surge (the R number went above 1 when restaurants opened last year yet it didn't go near 2. Indoor dining should 100% be feasible with in excess of 50/60% of the population vaccinated due to the associated reduction in transmission)
    * No plan for the future of the aviation sector, or international travel for an island completely reliant on aviation.

The lack of any sort of exit strategy is obscene at this stage. We can forecast with some degree of reliability how much of the country will be vaccinated and when. It needs to happen now before business owners, both large and small, are driven round the twist. Make it data driven with key targets and triggers if necessary. If we get to x% vaccinated we will open y. etc

Yes and we will know what is safe to do with x% vaccinated from UK, US and Israeli data. Current situation is hard to rationalise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

marno21 wrote: »
    IBEC are spot on.

Agree with everything except the indoor bit. The new UK variant is substantially faster at transmitting than what we had last year, and I don't see how indoor anything happens before widespread vaccinations.

However all the rest is spot on. I read today that another list of MHQ countries had gone to the Government, so that's another chunk of international connectivity gone. The aviation and tourism industries have simply been sacrificed to keep Mary-Lou and the SocDems happy, two parties who weren't even elected to Government.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,465 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

hmmm wrote: »
    Agree with everything except the indoor bit. The new UK variant is substantially faster at transmitting than what we had last year, and I don't see how indoor anything happens before widespread vaccinations.

However all the rest is spot on. I read today that another list of MHQ countries had gone to the Government, so that's another chunk of international connectivity gone. The aviation and tourism industries have simply been sacrificed to keep Mary-Lou and the SocDems happy, two parties who weren't even elected to Government.
    In fairness with the indoor, it's striking a balance of risk and with 50% of the population vaccinated we should reduce transmission enough for indoor dining to be viable with the R kept close to, or below 1. Variants taken into account there. Last summer was a glorified free for all of people meeting indoors and the R never went above 1.4-1.6 at any stage. I do take your point though that we don't conclusively know what the balance works out at here with this theory untested with new variants.

MHQ with exemptions for those vaccinated would be useful for a limited period. The lack of an international standard for proof is a major stumbling block there. In its current form its got the words "shutting the door" and "horse bolted" written all over it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,661 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

gozunda wrote: »
    Certainly I agree management could have been better. Giving in to popular demand for relaxation of restrictions for the Christmas period was a mistake. Though I'm not sure Nphet and the government were in agreement for all of that tbf.

That said another case study - Germany who also who went into lockdown in early December and who gave no exemption over Christmas ended up with a significant rise in the rate of infection once they started to ease back on their restrictions in March.

It seems its not an easy virus to try and negotiate with.

This must be the first time I actually agree with you.

Christmas and the lead up to it was a terrible mismanagement all started by the CMO's hissy fit in October when in level 3 numbers already had started to come down.

But in my opinion this made only a small difference. The christmas spike would have happened either way It happened pretty much everywhere else too.

Which makes Tony and NPHET sort of the shaman who impresses his village by making the sun disappear and re-appear cos he is the only one knowing the is an eclipse going on. And our government fell for it and still is.

• Advertisement

Please god they let barbers open next week, Badly need a haircut and shave

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,661 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

I look like Albert Einstein every morning. With a little more hair thankfully but you get the picture.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

Have you not shaved in four months?!!

I look like Albert Einstein every morning. With a little more hair thankfully but you get the picture.

One of my colleagues resembles a caveman :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,646 ✭✭✭Penfailed

Or many of the golfclubs in Ireland will have been liquidated by then

People need to realise many of these businesses in Ireland have weeks left not months

Five weeks since you posted this. How many golfclubs have been liquidated? ...or were you just doom-mongering when you posted it?

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Pixies, Ride, Therapy?, Public Service Broadcasting, IDLES(x2), And So I Watch You From Afar

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,471 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

The restrictions are preventing some suffering at least

• Advertisement

JeffKenna wrote: »
    Have you not shaved in four months?!!
    Think i shaved in mid January
    One of my colleagues resembles a caveman :D

I know how he feels

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,646 ✭✭✭Penfailed

The restrictions are preventing some suffering at least

To be fair to him, he's not my cup of tea but I saw him at Feile '93 and he was great. I wouldn't pay to see him on his own though...

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Pixies, Ride, Therapy?, Public Service Broadcasting, IDLES(x2), And So I Watch You From Afar

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,942 ✭✭✭growleaves

Penfailed wrote: »
    Five weeks since you posted this. How many golfclubs have been liquidated? ...or were you just doom-mongering when you posted it?

A few Irish golf clubs have gone out of business recently:

Killorglin Golf Club closes after 28 years

Castleisland Golf Club 'no longer a viable enterprise'

From last year, a month into the 1st lockdown when they couldn't sort out a leasing agreement:

Offaly golf course to become farmland after shock closure

Water Rock golf course in East Cork will not be re-opening AFAIK. Not sure of the details.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭mohawk

Vicxas wrote: »
    Ok, so Az and J&J are for over 50's, shouldnt they just start doing under 50's with Pfizer and Moderna now?

I think they are still working down through the vulnerable list and plenty of them are under 50/60. Also there will be older people requiring their second dose so I can see why they won’t straight away.

You would hope the vaccine delivery schedule was taken into account when making this decision.

RTÉ News aka the propaganda wing of NPHET: "It is expected that vaccines could allow easing of even more restrictions over the summer. Doing everything in their power to dampen expectations, arra shure Paddy might get a jar by July if he's on his very bestest behaviour. No wonder the Brits are laughing at us.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement