Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part X *Read OP For Mod Warnings*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

RTÉ News aka the propaganda wing of NPHET: "It is expected that vaccines could allow easing of even more restrictions over the summer. Doing everything in their power to dampen expectations, arra shure Paddy might get a pint by July if he's on his very bestest behaviour. No wonder the Brits are laughing at us.
    This is nearly over. Once everyone has been offered and received a vaccine there will be no justification for continuing restrictions. If there is a large group of unvaccinated (unlikely I think) we're going to need passports, but I doubt it.

MHQ should be ended for Europe at that time.

The pandemic will then be largely a third-world issue, and it will be in our interest to divert vaccines and other resources to help them cope.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,646 ✭✭✭Penfailed

growleaves wrote: »
    A few Irish golf clubs have gone out of business recently:

Killorglin Golf Club closes after 28 years

Castleisland Golf Club 'no longer a viable enterprise'

From last year, a month into the 1st lockdown when they couldn't sort out a leasing agreement:

Offaly golf course to become farmland after shock closure

Water Rock golf course in East Cork will not be re-opening AFAIK. Not sure of the details.

Recently?! They were a year ago.

This is what Finbar said - "Or many of the golfclubs in Ireland will have been liquidated by then

People need to realise many of these businesses in Ireland have weeks left not months"

It's been "weeks" since his post. "Many of the golfclubs in Ireland" haven't been liquidated. There's over 400 clubs in Ireland. How many is many? I'd say at least 50...but that's up for debate.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Pixies, Ride, Therapy?, Public Service Broadcasting, IDLES(x2), And So I Watch You From Afar

No wonder the Brits are laughing at us.

Are they? ...or is that in your head?

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Pixies, Ride, Therapy?, Public Service Broadcasting, IDLES(x2), And So I Watch You From Afar

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,942 ✭✭✭growleaves

Penfailed wrote: »
    Recently?! They were a year ago.

This is what Finbar said - "Or many of the golfclubs in Ireland will have been liquidated by then

People need to realise many of these businesses in Ireland have weeks left not months"

It's been "weeks" since his post. "Many of the golfclubs in Ireland" haven't been liquidated. There's over 400 clubs in Ireland. How many is many? I'd say at least 50...but that's up for debate.

They're all under immense pressure. Many are bleeding cash and having to offer discounts to get renewals for the May reopening.

No one can predict liquidations exactly, its not a science. The only certainty is that when some business goes under half the people on this thread will say it wasn't viable anyway and would have gone under even if it hadn't been barred from trading.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Which makes Tony and NPHET sort of the shaman who impresses his village by making the sun disappear and re-appear cos he is the only one knowing the is an eclipse going on. And our government fell for it and still is.

Love this image

They're all under immense pressure. Many are bleeding cash and having to offer discounts to get renewals for the May reopening.

No one can predict liquidations exactly, its not a science. The only certainty is that when some business goes under half the people on this thread will say it wasn't viable anyway and would have gone under even if it hadn't been barred from trading.

I'm not disputing your first paragragh. It's a given that many businesses are currently struggling now and are going to in the future. With regard to your second paragragh, Fintin did. It's there in black and white. Half the people in this thread won't say what you've typed either. You might get a few at best.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,529 ✭✭✭irishgeo

How are they bleeding cash?. They been closed. Only fees should be upkeep of the course.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 452 ✭✭Sharpyshoot

irishgeo wrote: »
    How are they bleeding cash?. They been closed. Only fees should be upkeep of the course.

You are clueless to the costs in running a golf club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

had same thought until realized they were closed for better part of the year, which means any rational members would pull their memberships, yet the green need to be maintained, not your average patch of grass that can be left to overgrow, add in seasonality and theres f all if you have 2-3 average months. Prob more costs go in as in every similar business that im missing as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,471 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

The upkeep costs just as much regardless if the members play the course or not

The clubs still have overheads and loans to service

The members fees are only one small source of income, competitions are a massive source of income for these places

Ireland has the global trophy for days of golf course closures across the globe, surpassing every other nation

Another proud accolade

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,632 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Many golf clubs are heavily indebted. How do they service that debt? They have many other costs besides course upkeep. Without competition they are not getting any sponsorship either.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,151 ✭✭✭✭JRant

hmmm wrote: »
    This is nearly over. Once everyone has been offered and received a vaccine there will be no justification for continuing restrictions. If there is a large group of unvaccinated (unlikely I think) we're going to need passports, but I doubt it.

MHQ should be ended for Europe at that time.

The pandemic will then be largely a third-world issue, and it will be in our interest to divert vaccines and other resources to help them cope.

I would love to see how the government could justify extending any of the legislation under the Health Act. They are already on shaky ground and when 70%+ are vaccinated that disappears completely

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    That wouldn't sell papers/clicks or airtime though. There's a lot of people/companies doing very well out of all this between interviews, advertising, subscription fees etc.

True indeed.......

https://www.rte.ie/news/business/2020/0616/1147843-co-clare-company-gets-102m-for-supplying-ppe-to-hse/
    Figures released by the HSE in response to a Freedom of Information request show that Ennis project management company, EKO Integrated Services Ltd, has received €102.36m for providing PPE and equipment to the HSE

EKO Integrated Services Ltd - which employs 12 people - received €93.5m for PPE and €8.7m for equipment.
    The HSE figures confirm that Aer Lingus has been paid €7.48m for transporting vital shipments of PPE from China.
    Figures show that two other Irish based companies received payments of over €30m from the HSE for PPE - the records show that Lennox Laboratories Ltd received €35.5m and Arco Safety Ltd received €32.4m.

As an integral part of an reset Mhór,the Government know that money will have to be taken from the masses somehow,so we might as well start with the demon drink...

https://www.rte.ie/news/business/2021/0426/1212127-minimum-unit-alcohol-pricing/
    The move would set a minimum price of 10 cent per gram of alcohol, in order to reduce consumption and improve public health.
    .....:rolleyes:

Total coincidence in the timing of this policy.....Next phase the increase in Fuel Oil duties to help us all save the planet n' stuff...;)

Forget yer oul Pandemic.......Follow the Money :D

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭M_Murphy57

lawred2 wrote: »
    IBEC have been oddly quiet really... it's about time they piped up

I presume the fact we've clearly run out of road in terms of PUP and other Grants has something to do with it.

Doubt there'll be "an abundance of caution" when they go back to the old faithful of slashing the health and education budgets at the end of a pandemic and where children missed nearly a full year of schooling

https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/politics/arid-40274552.html

The upkeep costs just as much regardless if the members play the course or not

The clubs still have overheads and loans to service

The members fees are only one small source of income, competitions are a massive source of income for these places

Ireland has the global trophy for days of golf course closures across the globe, surpassing every other nation

Another proud accolade

Yet none have been liquidated in weeks like your doomsday prediction.

AlekSmart wrote: »
    True indeed.......

https://www.rte.ie/news/business/2020/0616/1147843-co-clare-company-gets-102m-for-supplying-ppe-to-hse/

As an integral part of an reset Mhór,the Government know that money will have to be taken from the masses somehow,so we might as well start with the demon drink...

https://www.rte.ie/news/business/2021/0426/1212127-minimum-unit-alcohol-pricing/

.....:rolleyes:

Total coincidence in the timing of this policy.....Next phase the increase in Fuel Oil duties to help us all save the planet n' stuff...;)

Forget yer oul Pandemic.......Follow the Money :D

These are not new suggestions. Minimum alcohol pricing has been mooted for years. There's already been a tax on fuel. Taxes generally only go one way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

charlie14 wrote: »
    Make a major difference in that it is a one shot vaccine. Especially so for hard to reach communities

"Hard to reach Communities " ......:eek:

Humanity has a Land Rover trundling around Mars,not to mention a Drone zipping around it's thin atmosphere,whilst back down on Planet Ireland we have highly respected,and hugely qualified Professionals of some sort,writing this stuff in a letter to Government.

Did NPHET somehow get it's letter misplaced with some Professional Advice to The Australian Government regarding the Aboriginal Communities way out in the Outback ?

Did no journalist enquire as to exactly where these "Hard to Reach" locations are,and what form of "Communities" are referred to....?

NPHET appear to be adopting a billiard table approach at this stage....Bizzarre stuff...? :confused::confused:

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,942 ✭✭✭growleaves

I'm not disputing your first paragragh. It's a given that many businesses are currently struggling now and are going to in the future. With regard to your second paragragh, Finbar did. It's there in black and white. Half the people in this thread won't say what you've typed either. You might get a few at best.

No. It will be exactly 50%. Why I use the word 'half' if I didn't believe it would be a totally even split? I wouldn't, that would serve no logical function.

Yet none have been liquidated in weeks like your doomsday prediction.

Oh...and for the avoidance of doubt, I think golf courses should have been opened ages ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,139 ✭✭✭✭normanoffside

According to a Clare Byrne poll there, 77% of the population want outdoor hospitality opened in May.
    But Government don't plan it until the end of June.

It's a sad day when Claire Byrne viewers want more relaxations than the government.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,045 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

On Claire Byrne live now latest leaks is no outdoor dining until at least Mid June

If we don't have outdoor dining until at least Mid June then indoor dining is very far away

Good luck having staycations with no indoor dining

We're having an even more restrictive summer than last year it seems

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,738 ✭✭✭giveitholly

KrustyUCC wrote: »
    On Claire Byrne live now latest leaks is no outdoor dining until at least Mid June

If we don't have outdoor dining until at least Mid June then indoor dining is very far away

And last year indoor dining opened up the end of June with no vaccines, This summer is going to be worse than last year,just don't understand it at all

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,953 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Apologies if posted already, but a great article on the current sh1tshow.

Comparisons with Denmark I always find interesting.

http://www.davidmcwilliams.ie/are-irelands-relatively-low-covid-deaths-due-to-emigration/

And last year indoor dining opened up the end of June with no vaccines, This summer is going to be worse than last year,just don't understand it at all

It's mad

Apparently we'll have 80% of all adults with one dose of vaccine done by end of June yet we won't still have indoor dining with same precautions as last year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 604 ✭✭✭thebronze14

F**k me that's grim. Absolutely farcical

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,719 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

did you not know, Dr. Holohan returned last week to run the country, beyond cautious , seamed to do better when Superman is away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

Zebra3 wrote: »

http://www.davidmcwilliams.ie/are-irelands-relatively-low-covid-deaths-due-to-emigration/
    we might have the smallest population of older people but we do as fck take the longest to vaccinate em for sure. good article.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,939 ✭✭✭Dickie10

yeah dosent surprise me to be honest i seen this coming a while back, pubs will open early-mid August for staycation for 2 weeks before schools open. i wouldnt bet on them closing in october again for fear of winter flu season and christmas. I will be pleasantly shocked if we see bars open this christmas after last year. genie seems out of the bottle now they can shut and open anyway they want to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,471 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

Zebra3 wrote: »

Ireland has forced non-essential businesses to close for a crippling 231 days. The next most severe lockdown is the UK at 173 days. In contrast, Denmark closed for 47 days.

Holy ****

5 times longer than Denmark

And some posters here and on the main thread claim we should never have reopened at Christmas

• Registered Users Posts: 15,302 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Claire Byrne.... enough said

• Advertisement

Dickie10 wrote: »
    yeah dosent surprise me to be honest i seen this coming a while back, pubs will open early-mid August for staycation for 2 weeks before schools open. i wouldnt bet on them closing in october again for fear of winter flu season and christmas. I will be pleasantly shocked if we see bars open this christmas after last year. genie seems out of the bottle now they can shut and open anyway they want to.

You might be right

Not worth businesses reopening for 2 weeks only

Big smirks all round when declaring mid-June as earliest entry point for outdoor dining, our national broadcaster can't disguise withering contempt for hospitality. And we'd have to break rocks on the Aran Islands for penance if someone had the cheek to whisper that taboo word "indoor" at NPHET. Since Tony rode in on his high horse last week, a meaningful summer has begun to crumble into dust. And the government will happily sign away our freedoms like slack-jawed imbeciles, anything to appease the sainted one.

The summer is a write off, level 5 till 2022. 5 day average is 475 and is increasing.

There will be a massive fall out from this if it were to play out this way, it could well bring down the government. Major differences of opinion within the FF and FG if this played out.

Thank God for Arlene and wee Norn Iron, looks like the Republic is the failed state not the North. Up north we go for summer , Liverpool and London too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

Incompetence.
    That is why we have the longest lockdown in the world.
    Incompetence.
    That is why even countries with precarious numbers like Italy are still opening up their economies, with their bars and restaurants open today for outdoor dining.
    Incompetence.
    Americans can spend their billions of tourist dollars all over Europe this summer, but not in Ireland.
    Incompetence, is the reason why we will be imprisoned on our own island this summer, while every other single European will be allowed to travel within the EU.
    We can all blame Tony, but the buck stops with government, and they have been a complete and utter failure in their handling of all aspects of this pandemic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,139 ✭✭✭✭normanoffside

Seems every journalist is getting the same leaks though

77% of CB live poll want outdoor dining by end of May

Government won't go against NPHET though and especially before a Bank Holiday

If they're this conservative it's going to be a depressing summer with SFA open

It makes absolutely no sense. People are meeting, eating and drinking outdoors anyway. let the restaurants and pubs do it in a controlled environment while helping the economy.

That's before you even get to the point about litter and toilets.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,302 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Dickie10 wrote: »
    There will be a massive fall out from this if it were to play out this way, it could well bring down the government. Major differences of opinion within the FF and FG if this played out.

The government won't be brought down over a 2 weeks difference in opinion as to when to open outdoor dining.

I want them to open as much as the next person, by god I'd love a pint but have a bit of cop on, that's not going to bring a government down

didnt Albert say its the little things that trip you up.

It makes absolutely no sense. People are meeting, eating and drinking outdoors anyway. let the restaurants and pubs do it in a controlled environment while helping the economy.

That's before you even get to the point about litter and toilets.

Since when did the government ever do sense?

They seem determined to drive the economy even further into the ground

They don't care about the livelihoods that are being effected by remaining shut

Christ it's depressing that in 2021 with vaccines being rolled out and 80% meant to have one dose by end of June that we can look forward to an even more restricted summer than last year

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,217 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

AlekSmart wrote: »
    "Hard to reach Communities " ......:eek:

Humanity has a Land Rover trundling around Mars,not to mention a Drone zipping around it's thin atmosphere,whilst back down on Planet Ireland we have highly respected,and hugely qualified Professionals of some sort,writing this stuff in a letter to Government.

Did NPHET somehow get it's letter misplaced with some Professional Advice to The Australian Government regarding the Aboriginal Communities way out in the Outback ?

Did no journalist enquire as to exactly where these "Hard to Reach" locations are,and what form of "Communities" are referred to....?

NPHET appear to be adopting a billiard table approach at this stage....Bizzarre stuff...? :confused::confused:

The reason you are confused is because like a few here you jumped to a conclusion and fired this off without first checking what "hard to reach communities" means in this context..

It`s not geographical areas that are difficult to reach. It`s sectors of the community that could be difficult to reach for their second shot if any other vaccine other than J&J was used.
    Travellers, Roma, the homeless etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭frank8211

Kivaro wrote: »
    Incompetence.
    That is why we have the longest lockdown in the world.
    Incompetence.
    That is why even countries with precarious numbers like Italy are still opening up their economies, with their bars and restaurants open today for outdoor dining.
    Incompetence.
    Americans can spend their billions of tourist dollars all over Europe this summer, but not in Ireland.
    Incompetence, is the reason why we will be imprisoned on our own island this summer, while every other single European will be allowed to travel within the EU.
    We can all blame Tony, but the buck stops with government, and they have been a complete and utter failure in their handling of all aspects of this pandemic.

We have not spent enough on the health service over the years so ours is unable to cope with what other countries can cope with. We are better being cautious and not end up like itally last spring and so many countries at various periods since

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,939 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Ffs just can't anymore

Tony is really showing his influence no doubt about it

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Ffs just can't anymore

The virus is spreading, potentially out of control.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,230 ✭✭✭MOR316

The virus is spreading, potentially out of control.

The next two weeks are crucial

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭ypres5

Holy ****

5 times longer than Denmark

And some posters here and on the main thread claim we should never have reopened at Christmas

I think a lot of people on the main thread along with some on here would be happiest if nothing ever opened again

Seems every journalist is getting the same leaks though

77% of CB live poll want outdoor dining by end of May

Government won't go against NPHET though and especially before a Bank Holiday

If they're this conservative it's going to be a depressing summer with SFA open

I hope none of them are ever served in a bar or restaurant again. If I owned one, they wouldnt get a drop nor a crumb, Id refuse service.
    :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭ypres5

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Ffs just can't anymore

Well according to some tonys job is to just offer advice, nothing more, nothing less. I'm surprised he was able to fit his swollen head in the door when he came back last week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,719 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

MOR316 wrote: »
    The next two weeks are crucial

Holdfirm hashtag

Longest lockdown in the world.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,360 ✭✭✭✭Ha Long Bay

ypres5 wrote: »
    I think a lot of people on the main thread along with some on here would be happiest if nothing ever opened again

Could you quote even a single post that would back up what you just said?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement