Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part X *Read OP For Mod Warnings*

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭ypres5

Could you quote even a single post that would back up what you just said?

It wasn't supposed to be taken literally but from my brief forays into the main thread there seems to be posters who take risk aversity to a psychotic degree

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Trex.

Chris De Burgh was cancelled today, due to be on October 10 in the Bord Gais. Covid cited as the reason. So yeah unlikely there will be events of any kind in this country.

The government is apparently considering allowing Chris Dr Burgh to ahead

Only if he promises not to release any more records

• Registered Users Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭manofwisdom

The summer is a write off, level 5 till 2022. 5 day average is 475 and is increasing.
    Quit the hyperbole.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭dalyboy

Trex. wrote: »
    The government is apparently considering allowing Chris Dr Burgh to ahead

Only if he promises not to release any more records

His song “don’t pay the ferry man” has certain poignance considering the travel restrictions and the 2k fine you get.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,123 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Anything about adult sport resuming?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,657 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

Quit the hyperbole.

That was exactly the response people gave a few months ago when some posters said we'd be more restricted this summer than last despite the fact we have vaccines now.

It's looking like those posters were spot on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,160 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

ypres5 wrote: »
    I think a lot of people on the main thread along with some on here would be happiest if nothing ever opened again

It seems that way given how riled up the regulars here get when things are opened. Doesnt suit the fantasy of Evil Tony locking us down until 2025.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭walus

It makes absolutely no sense. People are meeting, eating and drinking outdoors anyway. let the restaurants and pubs do it in a controlled environment while helping the economy.

That's before you even get to the point about litter and toilets.

While doing as always my own reading and thinking (very reluctant to subcontract that even though RTE offers such good rates) I came across a US study/research in where they were looking into the spread of virus in the indoor environment. What they discover is that it does not matter if we have an infected and symptomatic person 1.5m or 15m away from the others, what matters is the time people spend in the room and how well ventilated it is. Masks are significantly less important and effective as the micro-droplets are not filtered by them anyway and it is only a question of time there is enough of them in the air to spread the virus.

On the back of that Norman, i don't think there will be any dining indoors or pints this year. Typical restaurant visit takes 1-2h, people are not wearing masks and talk, laugh etc. This reduces the point in time beyond which an infection is highly likely. Additionally there is this undercurrent in this country to free its people of covid completely (by taking their liberties away etc), there are going to be new variants driving the need for a vaccine boosters etc.

”Where’s the revolution? Come on, people you’re letting me down!”

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,646 ✭✭✭Penfailed

The summer is a write off, level 5 till 2022.

No one is even hinting at this.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Pixies, Ride, Therapy?, Public Service Broadcasting, IDLES(x2), And So I Watch You From Afar

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,646 ✭✭✭Penfailed

Holy ****

5 times longer than Denmark

And some posters here and on the main thread claim we should never have reopened at Christmas

Holy shít. One poster here claimed many golf clubs would be liquidated in weeks.
    One statement has some merit. The other, not so much.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Pixies, Ride, Therapy?, Public Service Broadcasting, IDLES(x2), And So I Watch You From Afar

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,953 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/cabinet-to-be-warned-public-spending-levels-are-unsustainable-1.4548376?mode=amp

Tax increase now please.

If that’s what it takes to make those sleeping in a fool’s paradise to cop themselves on.

Zebra3 wrote: »
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/cabinet-to-be-warned-public-spending-levels-are-unsustainable-1.4548376?mode=amp

Tax increase now please.

If that’s what it takes to make those sleeping in a fool’s paradise to cop themselves on.

I like how the article opens with "The Cabinet will be warned today that current levels of public spending are unsustainable at Ireland’s existing tax base."

Because it's the tax base that's the problem of course.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,949 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

The virus is spreading, potentially out of control.

So what?

I'm serious too. Over 99% of the population are at little to no risk anyway and those who are have almost all been vaccinated now.

The only ones who need to be concerned are the remaining at risk people still waiting for their vaccine, and they are the people who should continue to stay safe/hold firm/<insert idiotic catchphrase here>

Everyone else should continue to get back to living their lives.

I like how the article opens with "The Cabinet will be warned today that current levels of public spending are unsustainable at Ireland’s existing tax base."

Because it's the tax base that's the problem of course.

Well the tax base IS a problem.. Far too many pay nothing at all, or too little tax (and yet over the last number of years we've continued that trend)

For me what jumped out in the first few lines was the attempt to downplay the return of austerity policies. Something I and others here have predicted since last year.

V-shaped recoveries and spending our way out of this was always an impossibility.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,471 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

Newstalk

Shane: mentions India when discussing inter county travel

Take your eye if the ball with Covid and look what could happen he says

Hard argue with that

Newstalk

Hard argue with that

Newstalk breakfast is still better than the RTE offering but the transparent attempts by (usually) Shane to take the contrarian position are very annoying. It's all to drive people to text the station for 30c of course.

As with most of the media coverage of this "crisis", it's driven by money and ratings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭paddyisreal

Newstalk

Hard argue with that
    Heard that and thought what a bloody clown,
    comparing a third world country with 1.3 billion to little old Ireland. Either he is just stupid or as per usual with all the media they love this cironavirus

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 872 ✭✭✭Sofa King Great

Newstalk

Hard argue with that

If you take your eye off the ball you could think you are heading to Mayo and you end up in Mumbai?

If you take your eye off the ball you could think you are heading to Mayo and you end up in Mumbai?

Its a ridiculous comparison

A place with questionable hygiene practices, poor sanitary systems and a reluctance to spend money is not comparable to a city in India

• Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭the kelt

Newstalk

Hard argue with that

He definitely posts on here!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭TomSweeney

Good article in the telegraf ...
    Covid restrictions mean Australians have never looked so imprisoned
    The antipodes may be sunny and lovely, but their coronavirus control freakery means their inhabitants are locked down in perpetuity

ZOE STRIMPEL
    25 April 2021 • 6:00am
    Zoe Strimpel
    Australia’s leaders seem to get a perverse thrill from keeping its populace under lock and key

The other evening, a normally robust, stiff-upper-lipped friend came round for a nocturnal picnic in a nearby communal garden. Suddenly, almost in tears, she let rip about the terrible toll of being stuck in a tiny flat with her husband and (now) two-year-old for a year, all bar a week in Scotland in the summer. I’ll never forget the moment when, glassy-eyed, she stared ahead and said: “I need a holiday. I need to get out.”

And by out, she meant out of the UK. No staycation gives you the resuscitation my friend needed. She needs – we all need – to leave from time to time, and immerse ourselves in a different culture, different food. And no, Yorkshire and Norfolk don’t cut it.

Thankfully, my friend will be able to take just such a trip soon. This is more than can be said for the residents of Australia and New Zealand, countries that chose the path – much lauded by the everyone-must-suffer-to-the-max control freaks of the Left – of total imprisonment in perpetuity. Countries which, as the rest of the world looks for ways to return to normal in the Covid era, have chosen to remain prisons, with nobody out and very few in. They have no other way left to them – and what’s more, they’re smug about it.

In chasing, and nearly achieving, a Zero Covid standard in their own lands, the antipodes stand little chance of opening up to the rest of the big, bad world ever again. Unless, of course, their leadership is either lobotomised or replaced. For Zero Covid is not on the cards, globally speaking, ever.

Australia’s leaders seem to get a perverse thrill from keeping its populace under lock and key. How else to explain the statement by health minister Greg Hunt that even “if the whole country is vaccinated, you couldn’t just open up the borders”. Er…?

Already countless British grandparents have missed meeting their now-toddling Australian grandchildren. Countless children have been unable to hug countless parents. Thousands of Australians are stranded around the world, unable to return home. There have been plenty of howls of discontent from them, but the government rules with a Stalin-grade iron fist. It has made its prison, and now it wants to romp around in it – seemingly indefinitely.

It’s almost too painful to watch. Last week, we saw scenes of Aussie and New Zealander ecstasy as the desperately awaited travel bubble between the two countries was opened. Faced with the footage of relatives hugging at ghostly arrivals halls in Auckland and Sydney, and the forced jollity from the head of a decimated Qantas at the news, I found myself cackling bitterly. So much gratitude for something so tragically paltry.

Naturally, even this bubble had to burst. No sooner had the down-unders got this extremely modest taste of freedom than Australia’s government threatened a year in prison (the kind with barbed wire) for Australians who use New Zealand as a gateway to a third country.

Australia has almost no Covid – that’s the prize for becoming a prison – but, as the rest of the world understands, Zero Covid doesn’t actually exist. Which is why, for instance, cases have regularly appeared as if by magic even in New Zealand, months after no reported infections. It’s why a fully vaccinated airport worker tested positive a day after the travel bubble began last week. And it’s why, in most places, a single positive test isn’t treated as a total catastrophe.

At a moment when people are wall-eyed with desperation to get out of the UK after just three months of ‘illegal’ non-essential travel, and when the vaccine passports that may enable them to do so are around the corner, Australia provides a heart-sickening vision of how much worse things could be. It shows what Covid has been able to do to a once-sane country.

Just 14 months ago, Australia was still promoting its welcome for tourists. I know, because I was planning a trip, and was heartened that it seemed so unfazed by the brewing storm. The country was still outward-facing, still understood the urgent importance of tourism and had not yet developed its obsession with control, and a hysterical, irrational approach to risk.

In the 13 months since I returned from my abbreviated jaunt, I have seen countless pictures of Aussie friends cavorting, mask-free, in their beautiful land. But instead of envying them, I pity them. In barring its citizens from being able to leave, as well as take their chances coming back, Australia has made itself a hell, plain and simple, its populace held, in many cases, against their will.

It doesn’t matter how beautiful and lovely Australia is in summer, it’s a prison. I’d take rainy old England any day if it meant the very basic freedom to leave. Thankfully, the last few months aside, that’s exactly what it means.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭paw patrol

Boris seems to know what's what.
    Boris Johnson allegedly told aides in Downing Street he would rather let coronavirus “rip” than impose a second lockdown because of the economic harm further restrictions would cause.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/boris-johnson-said-he-would-let-covid-rip-in-lockdown-row-fs0ffz5mg

he once once called the London assembly members
    great, supine, protoplasmic invertebrate jellies

I think he had Michael Martin in mind :pac:

anyway all hail Boris, cometh the hour cometh the man and all that...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭manofwisdom

Newstalk

Hard argue with that

Easy to argue, anyone that thinks the current situation in India is comparable to Ireland is a idiot.

Easy to argue, anyone that thinks the current situation in India is comparable to Ireland is a idiot.

Let's hope the posters who bang on about India/Brazil/whatever the current crisis country is on a daily basis take note.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Multipass

TomSweeney wrote: »

I wish they’d write one about Ireland - we’re in a much worse state, imprisoned with everything shut. Except the zoo. Yay, imprisoned humans can go stare at imprisoned animals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Klonker

Would love someone to ask NPHET at their next briefing, that if April went better than expected (Michael Martin's words) why has NPHETs advise gotten more conservative in this period? The answer is obviously because Tony is back but I'd love of this was asked of Ronan Glynn or even any of our politicians to see how they'd spin the answer.

Again the worrying thing ...
    Australia’s leaders seem to get a perverse thrill from keeping its populace under lock and key. How else to explain the statement by health minister Greg Hunt that even “if the whole country is vaccinated, you couldn’t just open up the borders”. Er…?

So, are they admitting they never want to open up ?
    As by the time Australia are vaccinated the rest of the world will be ....

There is something deeply deeply sinister going on here.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

I just cannot get my head around the fact that last Summer we could go to hotels, eat out etc. (albeit outside), yet this summer with 1 million already having first dose of vaccine, most vulnerable groups, HCW's vaccinated, hospital numbers dropping. But its looking like you will not be allowed travel outside your county until mid-July. Its fooking nuts, I genuinely cannot understand it.

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭jusvi2001

Klonker wrote: »
    Would love someone to ask NPHET at their next briefing, that if April went better than expected (Michael Martin's words) why has NPHETs advise gotten more conservative in this period? The answer is obviously because Tony is back but I'd love of this was asked of Ronan Glynn or even any of our politicians to see how they'd spin the answer.

Tony = remember Christmas, hold firm, level 5 lock down for ever.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,742 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

Ah just stay at home forever and make Tik Tok videos ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,468 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Newstalk

Hard argue with that

It's water tight

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

pc7 wrote: »
    I just cannot get my head around the fact that last Summer we could go to hotels, eat out etc. (albeit outside), yet this summer with 1 million already having first dose of vaccine, most vulnerable groups, HCW's vaccinated, hospital numbers dropping. But its looking like you will not be allowed travel outside your county until mid-July. Its fooking nuts, I genuinely cannot understand it.

You're right.

Mid July, where did you hear that???

Jesus that's grim.

At what point do I stop laughing at my lunatic mother in law and her great reset nonsense?

Not quite there yet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭copeyhagen

the thing about Australians is that they dont really tend to go outside of Australia on holidays do they? not like Europeans do.

so it makes little difference if theyre stuck on their beautiful HUGE island for a couple of months.. they have it all there.

copeyhagen wrote: »
    the thing about Australians is that they dont really tend to go outside of Australia on holidays do they? not like Europeans do.

so it makes little difference if theyre stuck on their beautiful HUGE island for a couple of months.. they have it all there.

They tend to go to SE Asia, Japan and Pacific Islands a lot

But maybe not at the same levels was Europeans move about. Not sure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Zebra3 wrote: »
    Apologies if posted already, but a great article on the current sh1tshow.

Comparisons with Denmark I always find interesting.

http://www.davidmcwilliams.ie/are-irelands-relatively-low-covid-deaths-due-to-emigration/
    Thanks for that, convincing article

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭paw patrol

there is a weird perversion about lockdowns in Australia , the powers that be seem to revel in the heavy handed nature of the police and political utterances of mandatory vaccines.
    It does seem 1 step removed from a china of sorts. which is ironic as they seem to hate china as much as Trump did.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,621 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

paw patrol wrote: »
    Boris seems to know what's what.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/boris-johnson-said-he-would-let-covid-rip-in-lockdown-row-fs0ffz5mg

he once once called the London assembly members

I think he had Michael Martin in mind :pac:

anyway all hail Boris, cometh the hour cometh the man and all that...

You're Championing more sickness, overwhelmed hospital systems and death than the UK all ready experienced?

That's perfectly normal.

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭PintOfView

The other evening, a normally robust, stiff-upper-lipped friend came round for a nocturnal picnic in a nearby communal garden. Suddenly, almost in tears, she let rip about the terrible toll of being stuck in a tiny flat with her husband and (now) two-year-old for a year, all bar a week in Scotland in the summer. I’ll never forget the moment when, glassy-eyed, she stared ahead and said: “I need a holiday. I need to get out.”

And by out, she meant out of the UK. No staycation gives you the resuscitation my friend needed. She needs – we all need – to leave from time to time, and immerse ourselves in a different culture, different food. And no, Yorkshire and Norfolk don’t cut it.

Thankfully, my friend will be able to take just such a trip soon. This is more than can be said for the residents of Australia and New Zealand, countries that chose the path – much lauded by the everyone-must-suffer-to-the-max control freaks of the Left – of total imprisonment in perpetuity. Countries which, as the rest of the world looks for ways to return to normal in the Covid era, have chosen to remain prisons, with nobody out and very few in. They have no other way left to them – and what’s more, they’re smug about it ...

Bit of a first world problem, "life is unbearable because I can't jet off to a foreign country for a couple of weeks".

Re Australia and NZ "...total imprisonment in perpetuity",
    what planet has the author of that piece being living on for the past year?

And is life in Oz and NZ now unbearable due to international travel being more awkward?
    If those are the biggest problems some people face many others would swap places with them in an instant!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

You're right.

Mid July, where did you hear that???

Jesus that's grim.

I'm sure I heard on the radio it was looking like mid-July until intercounty travel would be reopened, apologies if incorrect. Could have been a kite?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

there is a weird perversion about lockdowns in Australia , the powers that be seem to revel in the heavy handed nature of the police and political utterances of mandatory vaccines.
    It does seem 1 step removed from a china of sorts. which is ironic as they seem to hate china as much as Trump did.

Talking to a friend in Australia a few weeks ago and life seemed pretty normal for him. Was getting up the next morning for a swim in a pool.

You're reading too much nonsense, on nonsense web sites, or on facebook, etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,621 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

This was Sunday. :rolleyes:
    78,113 attend AFL match at MCG in biggest crowd since start of Covid-19 pandemic

image.jpg

PintOfView wrote: »

NPHET briefings etc

Nope, don't use social media, don't go on to "nonsense websites", I use the BBC, Guardian and the telegraph as news - I see what I see, did that minister say that or not ???

He did.

I know it makes no sense, but it is what it is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 728 ✭✭✭pueblo

lawred2 wrote: »
    At what point do I stop laughing at my lunatic mother in law and her great reset nonsense?

Not quite there yet

Klaus Schwab and the EMF don't think it's nonsense.

https://www.weforum.org/focus/the-great-reset

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,153 ✭✭✭DellyBelly

I'm sure I heard on the radio it was looking like mid-July until intercounty travel would be reopened, apologies if incorrect. Could have been a kite?

I heard that as well..not to far off now and a lot better than I thought. I was sure it wouldn't be allowed until September...I'd be a bit concerned with Mid July however and think it might be better to wait until the summer holidays are actually over just in case we get a spike in numbers...

pueblo wrote: »

yeah that's not what she's speaking about

pueblo wrote: »

The great reset had a lot of sensible ideas, and some nonsense also,
    but was misinterpreted, by a lot of deluded individuals,
    as being some sort of take over of the world, by an 'elite',
    who were going to control all our minds with 5G, etc.

The great reset had a lot of sensible ideas, and some nonsense also,
    but was misinterpreted, by a lot of deluded individuals,
    as being some sort of take over of the world, by an 'elite',
    who were going to control all our minds with 5G, etc.

yeah that's more of what she goes on about

she's convinced she's going to spend the rest of her life subject to these restrictions while "elites" party

it's all a bit dystopian...

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement