Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part X *Read OP For Mod Warnings*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,012 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Boggles wrote: »
    That's more of an unfounded opinion based on nothing at all.

Have you link to the journalist who wrote it? I can't imagine hotels wanting to open without at least some facilities.

Either people getting upset over hearsay will drive themselves mad.

I mean if they open hotels and tell them indoor dining is safe and also say indoor dining is unsafe in restaurants outside a hotel, they're bigger idiots than I thought.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,667 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

eggy81 wrote: »
    What happened in India

Everybody died. Theres no India anymore.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,621 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

titan18 wrote: »
    I mean if they open hotels and tell them indoor dining is safe and also say indoor dining is unsafe in restaurants outside a hotel, they're bigger idiots than I thought.

But again, why are you getting annoyed over a hypothetical?

big syke wrote: »
    I dunno I am sure they are saddened and it is awful.

But my point is at every chance bringing India up where it has no place in the conversation is just a bit crazy to me.

"Ah its **** seeing x place opening up up and having fun"...Response " ye nearly as **** as whats happening in India"

Like honest to god. The mind Boggles

India this, India that. Anything to deflect from a braindead government incapable of thinking for themselves. The momentum we have lost in the space of one week is staggering. And that can largely be attributed to the return of our lord and saviour Tony. The sycophantic fawning in the media is pukeville. People need to register their disgust with local TDs in droves, this "we'll hold off another few months just in case" paralysis has got to end now. We're at the end of our tether after 14 months of "concerning trends". Where's Hellrazer and his excel spreadsheet, time to stand up and be counted folks. Life is for living, not existing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,563 ✭✭✭celt262

Has they been much noise out of the hoteliers i haven't heard a whole pile surely they are pushing for full opening in June?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,045 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

That's more of an unfounded opinion based on nothing at all.

Have you link to the journalist who wrote it? I can't imagine hotels wanting to open without at least some facilities.

Either people getting upset over hearsay will drive themselves mad.

Take the source how you wish

"However, the reopening of hotels, which would include bar and restaurant service for guests, could pose problems for the Government if other pubs and restaurants remain closed

Regular indoor dining will most likely not be reopening in June in these outlets, which could lead many to protest against the favouritism being shown to the hotel industry.

Elsewhere, it is expected that outdoor dining will return sometime between the end of May and the middle of June."

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.irishmirror.ie/news/irish-news/irish-pubs-update-date-set-23979431.amp

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,942 ✭✭✭growleaves

11521323 wrote: »
    We're also unbelievably weak as a population. Most people will accept being bent over perpetually once the man on the television says we need to.

We've restricted our way into poll position within Europe for any statistic you want to look at (relating to Covid-19 suppression) and yet our reward for all that effort is a slower reopening than the rest of the world.

The people's response? "Ah sure hopefully we'll be able to sit inside a restaurant by the end of the year"

It's sickening.

Our carbon neutrality plan is also said to be "without international parallel" so we will be deindustrialising faster and more thoroughly than any other country over the decade with all the disadvantages that will bring.

I think what has happened is that the average person has taken the rational decision to align themselves with power. If the lockdown were ten times worse they would say nothing.

Conversely if they were asked by the powerful (national governments, multinational institutions etc.) to henceforth regard lockdowns as evil and hateful then they would do that.

A German philosopher Peter Sloterdijk wrote a book about the roots of modern cynicism. His thesis (which I'm simplifying for this post) runs that the average modern person sees through all the official deceptions - unbiquitous linguistic absurdities, incoherent propaganda, ever-shifting societal beliefs and priorities - but due to a sort of double layer of cynicism decides he has no strong motivation to oppose it so just goes along passively or even defends them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

leahyl wrote: »
    My parents (both in their 70's) went off for a drive last week (we live in Cork) and were in Kenmare before they realised that they "shouldn't" have crossed the border :D

Speaking of Kenmare, I was thinking of how ****ed over they'll be with the outdoor dinning plans. There's only one or two places in the town that can even facilitate that, the rest of the businesses will have no option but to stay shut, or do takeaways solely. The plans are completely unjust, but the government cares little

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

So are we seriously playing pretend lockdown for Month of May and theres f all opening and we continue with lvl5 nonsense ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,468 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

scamalert wrote: »
    So are we seriously playing pretend lockdown for Month of May and theres f all opening and we continue with lvl5 nonsense ?

but more people can go to mass

so you have that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭Seanachai

11521323 wrote: »
    We're also unbelievably weak as a population. Most people will accept being bent over perpetually once the man on the television says we need to.

We've restricted our way into poll position within Europe for any statistic you want to look at (relating to Covid-19 suppression) and yet our reward for all that effort is a slower reopening than the rest of the world.

The people's response? "Ah sure hopefully we'll be able to sit inside a restaurant by the end of the year"

It's sickening.

There's too much acceptance of officialdom without any scrutiny. I think people are still wedded to the familiarity of RTE and see any voice that's not endorsed by them as being unreliable, or even dangerous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

I would imagine the governments line on Intercounty will be July - or basically as late as possible.

The MINUTE intercounty is open, the entire population of Dublin will decamp to the south and the west. Since they have much higher cases in a small county with less chance to go anywhere, they are itching for it probably more than other counties (eg: Cork can drive 2 1/2 hours and still be in Cork). In Dublin you have Howth and a small sliver of mountains.

Trouble is you spread the infections then around the country. I can see the problem with this, but it doesn't excuse the governments recent atrocious handling of all this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

kwestfan08 wrote: »
    So when we reach 40% of people here with at least one shot we can open up then correct? Seems like it would be safe to given what’s happening in the US?

Is that what you took from that Seriously?

So you are saying here is exactly like Florida? But as many here keep pointing out we're not Like India or Germany? How that work?

On top of that why Florida? It just one state out of an entire country which for large part of the year were in the top 10 per capita death rates in the World.

Maybe we could compare it to Munster?
    That wouldn't work no?

OK let's look at the stats

Ireland has had 49,584 cases of covid and 978 deaths per million population

Florida has had 102,995 cases of covid and 1625 deaths per million population

OK so in Florida they now have approx 40% vaccinated. How they doing?

Their current positivity rate atm is 7.28% and has been increasing...

In Ireland our current positivity rate 2.8%

So you say it seems like US? When many states are doing even worse than Florida?

I dont think so ...

KrustyUCC wrote: »

"However, the reopening of hotels, which would include bar and restaurant service for guests, could pose problems for the Government if other pubs and restaurants remain closed

The / Your source is saying they will be open?
    Also what's the point in hotels being open if you can't have breakfast or dinner in them?

Like a broken record at this stage.

Yeah facts are a feking inconvenience alright ...

lawred2 wrote: »
    but more people can go to mass

so you have that
    fcking great :pac: i imagine theyll open up some extra pet farm as well to keep us calm and call it progress :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,646 ✭✭✭Penfailed

ypres5 wrote: »
    The narrative of an outdoor summer coincided with holohans return so while we might not be locked down until 2025, please tell me when you see things going back to normal? Or are you just going to dodge any post that cant be evaded with a half arsed one liner as usual?

The talk of an outdoor summer started way before his return...but yeah, blame him sure.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Pixies, Ride, Therapy?, Public Service Broadcasting, IDLES(x2), And So I Watch You From Afar

What is it with some people here using what’s happening in India to justify our continued lockdown? It’s almost as if they are absolutely delighted with what’s happening. Falling over themselves to make ludicrous comparisons. And they still say that they don’t want this to go on forever.

You mean the constant level of ludicrous comparisons of Ireland with the US / Florida to promote the let it rip theory?

Funny thing is I don't see actual comparisons with 'India' being made. Rather anytime its referred to - some seem to get hysterical that its even mentioned.

Odd that no?

And the other funny thing is - the ones who actually want it to end and for everyone to be vaccinated are the baddies!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,563 ✭✭✭celt262

I would imagine the governments line on Intercounty will be July - or basically as late as possible.

The MINUTE intercounty is open, the entire population of Dublin will decamp to the south and the west. Since they have much higher cases in a small county with less chance to go anywhere, they are itching for it probably more than other counties (eg: Cork can drive 2 1/2 hours and still be in Cork). In Dublin you have Howth and a small sliver of mountains.

Trouble is you spread the infections then around the country. I can see the problem with this, but it doesn't excuse the governments recent atrocious handling of all this.

If all these vaccines are going to be administered there is no problem.

• Advertisement

Who said hotels will open with closed dining areas?

No one actually said it. People are joining the dots. If you don't have indoor dining open elsewhere, how can it be allowed in hotels?

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Pixies, Ride, Therapy?, Public Service Broadcasting, IDLES(x2), And So I Watch You From Afar

celt262 wrote: »
    ill subscribe to their service so i could travel to another county in August will be great :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

Klonker wrote: »
    Australia have very harsh border restrictions but at least they have and have had more freedom within the country over the past year than most of other first world countries.

Here in Ireland we seem to be next in line after Oz and NZ in terms of harsh border restrictions, have a significant portion vaccinated (25% of adults with a first dose), have harsher restrictions within the country than anyone else, are the longest within our current lockdown and will be the last to exit from lockdown also.

How do we have it so bad from every angle? What are we gaining from our MHQ system or our 2k fines for going abroad? What are we gaining from our intercounty travel bans or not allowed to eat outside until June? What did we gain by being the only country in the world to close construction? I don't know how people still think any of this is still acceptable.

Aside from Melbourne its been very relaxed here in Australia for the last year, where I live the most restrictive time was from 29th March to 14th May they closed all hospitality, indoor dining etc and non-essential stuff like Cinemas, gyms etc. But schools, shopping centres and shops remained opened with social distance (1.5m) and each shop had max numbers of people allowed in. This lasted about 6 weeks, then mid May they allowed indoor dining limited numbers 1 person 4m2. June onwards was gradually more normal and opened Pubs and hotels by end of July. By mid October everything was nearly back to normal, I had my work xmas party start of December and it was no different from the previous year except staff wore masks.

All but a few restrictions have now been removed since February, you just have to scan a QR code on entry and its extremely normal.

here is an example.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set?vanity=TheMercantileHotel&set=a.4212405355460548

https://www.facebook.com/media/set?vanity=TheMercantileHotel&set=a.4230690280298722

Also you can get an exemption to leave the country for stuff like funerals, weddings and for personal business over 3 months. There has been an average of 11,000 exemptions per month over the last year. I would have no problem getting an exemption as a dual citizen if I wanted to, but I dont.

Its not as if Australians are looking to travel for a sun holiday, its basically summer here 9 months of the year and even though winter is very mild compared to Europe you can still ski in the snowys.

There's no marches here demanding travel overseas, people just look at Europe and all the lockdowns and why would they waste their money to go to these sh!tholes to sit around with nothing open. Nah they just holiday at home where you can actually do stuff, most people are confident to stick to their own state to avoid state border closures. At Easter everywhere was packed, and boat and caravan sales shot up late last year. People are happy to spend their money on something they can enjoy because anywhere overseas bar NZ is extremely poor value and will be for some time to come.

The trade off between a few weeks travel and having schools, business and freedom to live a quality life. If I was in Ireland though all these lockdowns I probably eat my gun, I just wouldn't live like that. I would rather sacrifice 2 weeks in sun than spend 5-6 months living like a rat, its an absolute no brainer.

• Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭big syke

gozunda wrote: »
    Yeah facts are a feking inconvenience alright ...

Why bring it up ? Had nothing to do with the post you replied to and added no value to the conversation.

Penfailed wrote: »
    No one actually said it. People are joining the dots. If you don't have indoor dining open elsewhere, how can it be allowed in hotels?

There is no dots.

Agree with you completely. My wife is Swedish so I’ve a lot of friends over there and it is nothing like over here. They just get on with things. Irish people are absolutely addicted to misery.

To paraphrase - What is it with using what’s happening in Sweden to justify letting it rip?

One thing for sure this thread is absolutely addicted to misery...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭paddyisreal

To paraphrase - What is it with using what’s happening in Sweden to justify letting it rip?

To paraphrase what is it with using India to justify keeping us locked up here ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭The Big Easy

Yet some are addicted to the thread....... go figure?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

TomSweeney wrote: »
    And as for them saying even when they are 100% vaccinated they won't open up ?

This is not just Australia, this seems a genuine trend, and I ask why ...

Do you believe that 1st generation of vaccines will do the trick?

The / Your source is saying they will be open?

That was an earlier report

Can't remember what show it was on yesterday but definitely point was no hotel indoor dining as well

Will wait and see but that's not any break if hotels can't serve food to guests

Corholio wrote: »
    Intercounty travel has been rumoured in both June and July, so will hold fire until that gets clarified. July would be crazy, anything passed early/mid June would be.

It should really be now...

• Advertisement

Why bring it up ? Had nothing to do with the post you replied to and added no value to the conversation.

Ah I see that went straight over the head. No matter.

Florida has as little to do with our situation here as 'India' does. So saying that we should look to 'Florida' but not 'India' is a bit of a double take especially where it is being used as a reason to let it rip.

And whilst I agree it might well be depressing seeing on "Instagram nightclubs in the likes of Miami wide open, no masks and everyone enjoying themselves like it was 2019" - the corally of that is the scenes out of India are truely depressing.

That was an earlier report

Can't remember what show it was on yesterday but definitely point was no hotel indoor dining as well

Will wait and see but that's not any break if hotels can't serve food to guests

UPDATED 10:42, 26 APR 2021

Firing shíté at a wall does produce some velocity.

It should really be now...

If its July for intercounty travel that's over half the year without seeing friends, family, partners in another county

What a shsmbles

• Registered Users Posts: 15,217 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

I find it amusing that posters here who one minute are saying we should be doing what the U.K. is doing at the moment, are the next next we should now be opening up pubs and restaurants fully right away.

The U.K. are not even planning on doing that for another 3 weeks. 5 weeks after they allowed outdoor service for pubs and restaurants due to them reaching 50% first dose vaccination, and will only be doing so then if four requirements are fulfilled on vaccine deployment, hospitalisations, case numbers and ICU number changes due to variants.

Yet some are addicted to the thread....... go figure?!

They're have to be some who bring some light :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,289 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Outdoor summer is fine if the weather is good but this is Ireland. It's a big gamble on the entire hospitality industry. Its grand though the tax payer will prop it up with a few billion if the weather is ****!

But again, why are you getting annoyed over a hypothetical?

Hypothetical situations have been the go to response from government from the beginning. I can understand how that has rubbed off on other people at this stage.

celt262 wrote: »

Oh absolutely, but we won't be at that level of vaccinations until end June/early July, and thats if supply is maintained.

People need to register their disgust with local TDs in droves[...]Where's Hellrazer and his excel spreadsheet, time to stand up and be counted folks.

This ^^^

To paraphrase what is it with using India to justify keeping us locked up here ?

Where? Do you mean the word 'India' can't be mentioned or if it is - its to automatically "justify keeping us locked up"

Eh?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,153 ✭✭✭DellyBelly

lawred2 wrote: »
    Did you manage to make it to the beach yet?

Been there nearly every evening.. Been a godsend

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

titan18 wrote: »

But sure 1000s of work canteens across the country are operating each day.

Yet its unsafe for indoor eating.

They have no idea how to manage this.

mandrake04 wrote: »
    If I was in Ireland though all these lockdowns I probably eat my gun, I just wouldn't live like that. I would rather sacrifice 2 weeks in sun than spend 5-6 months living like a rat, its an absolute no brainer.

A lot of us would. If we'd known in March 2020 what we were facing into and the level of lockdowns we'd have to take here in Ireland.

Trouble is, these things creep... and 6 weeks more of lockdown, or just another few weeks of Level 5 and then in 6 weeks more we'll open a hotel (which then gets delayed a further 2).

Its hard. It sucks. We don't really have another (sensible) choice. We're jaded, but being jaded won't change anything. Just gotta weather it through.

Regular indoor dining will most likely not be reopening in June in these outlets, which could lead many to protest against the favouritism being shown to the hotel industry.

Elsewhere, it is expected that outdoor dining will return sometime between the end of May and the middle of June."

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.irishmirror.ie/news/irish-news/irish-pubs-update-date-set-23979431.amp

The article states that hotels will open with bar and restaurant service for guests in June. That's a good thing surely?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

The article states that hotels will open with bar and restaurant service for guests in June. That's a good thing surely?

I guess he's saying that other bars and restaurants probably won't and that would (rightly) make them angry at that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,012 ✭✭✭✭titan18

It's a bit of a kick for non hotel restaurants and bars tbf. If its safe to open one, why not the others.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭paddyisreal

Where? Do you mean the word India can't be mentioned or if its automatically to "justify keeping us locked up"

Eh?

Yourself, Coleman on newstalk ,ray scally all drumming up India all morning. As I said must be the narrative for today

Yourself, Coleman on newstalk ,ray scally all drumming up India all morning. As I said must be the narrative for today

You mean its in the news? :eek:

I mention it once and some lost the plot apparently.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,217 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

India a few weeks ago was low case numbers and lower levels of vaccination than the U.K. or Israel for partial opening up, but they were happy to open up virtually everything.
    Ireland low case numbers and lower levels of vaccination than the U.K or Israel when opening partially and people on here want to open everything right away yet you do not see where a comparison could be made ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,289 ✭✭✭✭rob316

The deadly pandemic, where I don't know a single person that died of it. I know plenty of elderly people though who are heartbroken that they have barely seen their children, grand children and great grand children for over a year.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement