Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part X *Read OP For Mod Warnings*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,857 ✭✭✭growleaves

Boggles wrote: »
    I imagine the stress of the pandemic as a whole and 110,000 people dying in England and how England have handled it in general will be a factor in bad mental health outcomes if they are indeed on the increase in real terms.

In general they handled it with prolonged lockdowns and made mistakes like sending infected covid patients into nursing homes setting off chain reactions of death among the elderly. If you are talking about their delaying the start of their first lockdown by one week, or whatever it was, that is only a detail.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,571 ✭✭✭Penfailed

Tired332 wrote: »
    My cousin living in Texas, got his. He is 41, Anyone any age can book an appointment to get one there if they want one.

I was responding to the OP who stated that MILLIONS of Americans and Brits in their 20s and 30s were getting the jab.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Registered Users Posts: 40,007 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

growleaves wrote: »
    In general they handled it with prolonged lockdowns and made mistakes like sending infected covid patients into nursing homes setting off chain reactions of death among the elderly. If you are talking about their delaying the start of their first lockdown by one week, or whatever it was, that is only a detail.

The bulk of their mortality and hospitalizations have occurred since October.

Mistakes made last March doesn't apply.

JRant wrote: »
    Pop up test centres or not we're are not going to drop below level 5 till the end of May at the earliest. They'll open construction and shift the travel limit while proclaiming they are lifting restrictions.

If they open construction and shift the travel limit, they will be lifting restrictions.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

I find it mad that the schools have just reopened after being closed for so long and now they're heading off on a two week Easter break. Maybe work through the break and catch up? No?

All I heard on the radio was teachers saying they couldn't wait to get back in the classroom so I'm sure support would be high for this.

The teachers and kids haven't been off on holiday since Christmas you know. They deserve a break. I'm sure there would be little support for this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,007 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Will be interesting to compare mental health outcomes between places with fewer/shorter restrictions and those with more/longer ones. I have a feeling it has much less to do with the number of people who died in a country and much more to do with having life disrupted so heavily by lockdowns themselves.

I have no idea what a study like that would like or how it could be collated.

But we do know their is a direct established link between mental health and bereavement, now with 110,000+ people dying in the UK often in grim circumstances I can imagine that will have a negative effect on families and loved ones.

We actually have studies from the UK on the mental health of HCW's dealing with the pandemic.
    A large proportion of UK HCW had high mental health symptoms. ‘Fixed’ risk factors of poor mental health included being female, being ‘frontline’, pre-existing mental health diagnoses, and experience of stressful/traumatic events. An additional set of ‘controllable’ factors also significantly increased risk: PPE availability, workload, lack of COVID-19 preparation and training, and insufficient communication of clinical procedures. Resilience and sharing stress reduced risk, as did ethical support for those making treatment decisions. Allied HCW and managers were at elevated risk of high symptoms particularly PTSD. Wellbeing, especially of frontline workers, had significantly worsened compared to before COVID-19.

Noting that the pandemic itself has had some negative effects on mental health - good.

Noting that the unprecedentedly doctrinaire methods used by governments to deal with the pandemic have had some negative effects on mental health - bad.

It's laughably transparent and incredibly tiresome.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭TonyMaloney

Noting that the pandemic itself has had some negative effects on mental health - good.

Noting that the unprecedentedly doctrinaire methods used by governments to deal with the pandemic have had some negative effects on mental health - bad.

You're getting tired from a fictional dialogue that exists in your head only

Nobody is denying that protracted lockdowns are having an impact on mental health.

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭francogarbanzo

Nobody is denying that protracted lockdowns are having an impact on mental health.

Not explicitly, no.

Is it strictly necessary to be this much of a twat, Tony?

• Advertisement

Is it strictly necessary to be this much of a twat, Tony?

Thanks for that

It's true though. I'm stuggling with it all myself. So why would I be in denial about the cause of it?
    It's been a ****ing ghastly year.

But you guys don't want a conversation about mental health. You're just trying to weaponise the subject. And that's why you're lobbing eating disorders into the mix. Could be correlation. Could be causation. You don't care, you just use it anyway.

And then you wail about the other side being in denial and call them twats

• Registered Users Posts: 8,378 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

Thanks for that

It's true though. I'm stuggling with it all myself. So why would I be in denial about the cause of it?

But you guys don't want a conversation about mental health. You're just trying to weaponise the subject. And that's why you're lobbing eating disorders into the mix. Could be correlation. Could be causation. You don't care, you just use it anyway.

Such hypocrisy

Covid has been weaponised from the very start

It’s as if nobody died before or will ever die again they way the conversation spins in circles

I’ve yet to see many conversation’s that didn’t resort to using death’s as a refute to counter basic logic

• Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

I think so. A few months ago we would hear nothing like that from anyone.

Ya and I also read an article where there was TDS saying the 5k is ridiculous, like u would have never seen an article published like that a few months ago. The whole thing is a joke , nphet are stalling , the 5k will be lifted .

Thanks for that

You don't want it spoken about because you love the lockdowns, they really haven't been that bad for you, you like the authoritarian rule, and you will take pleasure in seeing the suffering of people needlessly dying of cancer. You'll probably laugh when the suicide statistics come out, and I'd bet that you get on the old Zoom with your mates to talk about what pathetic weaklings people are when they get on the radio to talk about their cracking mental health. And then you talk about the other side having fantasies in their heads...

...do you see how ****ing ludicrous that sounds? And how it makes me sound like a twat?

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭Parachutes

fin12 wrote: »
    Ya and I also read an article where there was TDS saying the 5k is ridiculous, like u would have never seen an article published like that a few months ago. The whole thing is a joke , nphet are stalling , the 5k will be lifted .

I wouldn’t count on it. The UK has nearly 30 million vaccinated and the virus circulating the population for a year and MP’s there have voted to extend lockdown powers for a further 6 months. At what point did science stop believing in the human immune system?

This collective hysteria is here to stay for a long while yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,857 ✭✭✭growleaves

Thanks for that

Er no Tony. The moment Boggles mentioned the possibility of a reporting effect I conceded that as a factor. It genuinely hadn't occurred to me beforehand.

When has any lockdown supporter admitted that 'correlation does not equal causation' applies to the theories of causality that underpin the restrictions?

They don't ever do that because - lets hear it one more time - itsnotrocketscienceguys! that simple theories of cause and effect are normative therefore we don't ever have to look into it, we can just assume it and make that assumption the basis for our interpretation of other phenomena.

I'm going to discuss the health fallout of lockdowns since the lockdowns themselves are a second public health crisis. Many lockdown supporters are happy to use ridiculously highly emotive phrases and worst case scenarios. All I'm doing is posting articles and discussing them.

Parachutes wrote: »
    I wouldn’t count on it. The UK has nearly 30 million vaccinated and the virus circulating the population for a year and MP’s there have voted to extend lockdown powers for a further 6 months. At what point did science stop believing in the human immune system?

This collective hysteria is here to stay for a long while yet.

I am very confident the 5 k is going to change after April.

I am very confident the 5 k is going to change after April.

Definitely

2km is more than enough for people to be away from their homes

Definitely

Look go wind someone else cause u won’t do it to me

Don’t know why anyone is saying uk going backwards, Johnson won this, it’s full steam ahead for them.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2021-03-25/johnson-wins-u-k-parliament-backing-for-plan-to-lift-lockdown

• Advertisement

Look go wind someone else cause u won’t do it to me

Calm down, it was clearly a joke

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Multipass

Definitely

10km and aren’t we lucky to have this new freedom. Don’t party too hard on it.

Multipass wrote: »
    10km and aren’t we lucky to have this new freedom. Don’t party too hard on it.

It’s going to be scrapped, too many TDs are making noise about it...

You don't want it spoken about because you love the lockdowns, they really haven't been that bad for you, you like the authoritarian rule, and you will take pleasure in seeing the suffering of people needlessly dying of cancer. You'll probably laugh when the suicide statistics come out, and I'd bet that you get on the old Zoom with your mates to talk about what pathetic weaklings people are when they get on the radio to talk about their cracking mental health. And then you talk about the other side having fantasies in their heads...

...do you see how ****ing ludicrous that sounds? And how it makes me sound like a twat?

that is all offensive and just plain nuts

that is all offensive and just plain nuts

I'm glad you agree. Now maybe stop posting that sort of nonsense to me.

Calm down, it was clearly a joke

Sorry Fintan.

This is great news, I’ve just seen a poll on the journal and for the first time ever the majority have voted to scrap the 5k completely.

I'm glad you agree. Now maybe stop posting that sort of nonsense to me.

Who's doing what exactly?

I've had enough of your abuse for one day.

Who's doing what exactly?

I've had enough of your abuse for one day.

You did, Tony, when you decided that my general statement was a good opportunity to personally attack me as having a "fictional dialogue that exists in your head only" and then suggest that the only reason I've been continually bringing attention to mental health (and other) issues for months is not because I care, but because I want to "weaponise" it.

"Abuse" indeed. If you can dish it out...

• Advertisement

You did, Tony, when you decided that my general statement was a good opportunity to personally attack me as having a "fictional dialogue that exists in your head only" and then suggest that the only reason I've been continually bringing attention to mental health (and other) issues for months is not because I care, but because I want to "weaponise" it.

"Abuse" indeed. If you can dish it out...

Your "general statement" directly followed a specific (and well mannered) discussion on mental health and eating disorders.

Who was it aimed at? Was it just bad timing?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement