Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part X *Read OP For Mod Warnings*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

good point from that doc people brainwashed, risk vs reward ratio gone out of window so is the logic of most.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,496 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

Any idea when intercounty travel will be back? I have a hotel stay booked for late June. Thanks.

My prediction is just after the June Bank Holiday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,420 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

No, no, and no. I don't know how to be more clear.

People and businesses can make their own assessments and act accordingly. A business that decides to enforce social distancing and mask-wearing on its premises is going to attract some people for those reasons, and those people may be willing to pay a premium for those features. Other people will be put off by those rules. The same applies to businesses that decide not to enforce any particular covid rules.

Healthy people in their twenties will probably be as alright risking Covid as they previously were risking flu or mono or a bad cold. Healthy people in their twenties who live with a member of a vulnerable group will have additional considerations.

Unvaccinated people in their thirties with aggravating conditions might choose to go to the establishments that enforce distancing.

Unvaccinated people in their sixties with aggravating conditions might choose to forego social/public activities until a few weeks after their second dose of vaccine. Or they might decide to go to a rave with twenty-year-olds and get hammered. Whose business is it if the health system is holding up?

The transmissibility of the virus (particularly the predominant British variant) renders this position a complete non starter. Leaving aside the epidemiological irresponsibility of allowing it to rip through large cohorts of the adult population unfettered. Personal responsibility doesn’t work for this one.

Your position is utterly extreme, I hope you understand that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,053 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

corcaigh07 wrote: »
    My prediction is just after the June Bank Holiday.

I'd take that

Some of the leaks over the last few days are now saying July

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭Sobit1964

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    The transmissibility of the virus (particularly the predominant British variant) renders this position a complete non starter. Leaving aside the epidemiological irresponsibility of allowing it to rip through large cohorts of the adult population unfettered. Personal responsibility doesn’t work for this one.

Can you explain in considerably more detail what might make this position 'extreme'?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Multipass

LuckyLloyd wrote: »

As opposed to locking down the entire country for the best part of a year - that’s not utterly extreme?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,968 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

One million people vaccinated and the country still in L5.

Who would’ve believed that during the winter?

And the cheerleaders demanding it goes on....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,647 ✭✭✭Penfailed

Sobit1964 wrote: »
    Can you explain in considerably more detail what might make this position 'extreme'?

He's one of the only people on this thread that advocates opening everything up with no mitigating measures. That's extreme.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Pixies, Ride, Therapy?, Public Service Broadcasting, IDLES(x2), And So I Watch You From Afar

Gigs '25 - Orbital, Supergrass

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭ypres5

Penfailed wrote: »
    He's one of the only people on this thread that advocates opening everything up with no mitigating measures. That's extreme.

Well the people on other end of the spectrum have had the run of the country this past year and there's still no end in sight so I don't blame him for wanting things to open asap

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,952 ✭✭✭The Big Easy

What exactly is vaccination, if not a mitigating factor?

As I said; this would not happen.

No government-mandated mitigating measures is not the same thing as "let 'er rip".

The idea that the second Big Daddy Government lifts the foot an inch everyone and their dog from every demographic is going to be cramming into the most packed venue they can find to suck tongues is pure fantasy. And insulting to the Irish public.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

Multipass wrote: »
    As opposed to locking down the entire country for the best part of a year - that’s not utterly extreme?

That certainly would be an extreme measure but thankfully nothing like that actually happened.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,659 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

Zebra3 wrote: »

It's just to protect the health service... but we have the lowest numbers in hospital since October.

It's just to protect the elderly...but they're almost all at least partially vaccinated.

It's just because of the variants...but the vaccine works on them too.

Where did we leave those goalposts?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

Really? Thats news to me and many more i would think

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,120 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

KrustyUCC wrote: »

but but but the VARIANTS esp the ones yet to be discovered

This is great news for the Entertainment industry, not so much in Ireland as European science doesn't cut it here and our lads know more

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,945 ✭✭✭growleaves

That certainly would be an extreme measure but thankfully nothing like that actually happened.

We've had three lockdowns totalling 9 months over the previous 13 months.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,968 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Really? Thats news to me and many more i would think

Well try to keep up with the news then.

https://covid19ireland-geohive.hub.arcgis.com/pages/vaccinations

One million mark would’ve been easily passed by now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

I think the 'not fully vaccinated' card is being played.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,952 ✭✭✭The Big Easy

Jeez, Pfizer really are a great bunch of lads, let's hope they can keep it up!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭ypres5

Corholio wrote: »
    I think the 'not fully vaccinated' card is being played.

I guess when you've no longer got an argument worth a curse you resort to being pedantic, as can be seen there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Don't Chute!

Jeez, Pfizer really are a great bunch of lads, let's hope they can keep it up!

I see what you did there!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,499 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

The lockdown must continue due to the variants that don’t exist that the vaccine might not work on

A long way from “buy the health service time”

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭leanin2019

Forgive me if its been discussed already.

Anybody know if the gyms are opening soon? Im anxiously awaiting Thursdays announcement in relation to this specifically. Tks

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

leanin2019 wrote: »

Anybody know if the gyms are opening soon? Im anxiously awaiting Thursdays announcement in relation to this specifically. Tks

has not been mentioned, so assume no

• Advertisement

https://twitter.com/McConnellDaniel/status/1387127260663136258

I'd like to however it seems that my chances of a staycation even in Mid July are getting slimmer by the day according to the latest leaks

Think I'll need to wait for a foreign holiday later on in the year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭normanoffside

No chance, too many variants lurking around the Gyms.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,945 ✭✭✭growleaves

The lockdown must continue due to the variants that don’t exist that the vaccine might not work on

A long way from “buy the health service time”

There might be an outbreak in Siam or Rangoon.

Let's impose crippling trade embargoes on our country.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 452 ✭✭Sharpyshoot

I'd like to however it seems that my chances of a staycation even in Mid July are getting slimmer by the day according to the latest leaks

You won’t be allowed fly. The sooner you accept to write off 2021 the better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,000 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

mmm no thanks I'd rather keep my hard earned money and spend it next year on a nice holiday to an EU destination where there will be sun and a nice hotel and some nice food.

• Advertisement

Do journalists have hidden cameras and microphones at these party meetings or is one of the TDs just live streaming them the meetings?

Jesus what a joke

A few of us have a trip to Cork booked for just before the Aug bank holiday and as you said chances are slim enough now

You won’t be allowed fly. The sooner you accept to write off 2021 the better.

You'll be allowed to, you'll just be encouraged not to.

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭FlubberJones

The cheeky slag, not only keeping us in this desolation but trying to get us to spend here too... well he can f*ck right off.. my hard earned and saved is going somewhere worthwhile.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Do journalists have hidden cameras and microphones at these party meetings or is one of the TDs just live streaming them the meetings?

wasn't there a tweet ages ago that showed Gavin Reilly I think live streaming something from the Dail and getting whatsapps from Leo?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 52,319 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

That's a bit nuts, I hope they loosen outdoor restrictions significantly for May, there's no reason not to given current hospital numbers (case numbers are irrelevant as the hospital numbers continue to fall).

I've something booked myself for the first week of July (rescheduled from last year) and am kinda getting concerned about it now when I wasn't a few weeks ago.

Don't get the fear they have in loosening outdoor stuff at the very least

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,499 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

growleaves wrote: »
    There might be an outbreak in Siam or Rangoon.

Let's impose crippling trade embargoes on our country.

That’s what this is now

The danger has passed in Ireland, only an anti vaccer would say other wise

Almost 1 million citizens have dose 1 got that provides excellent protection from serious illness

NPHEt in the latest letter mentioned variants that the vaccine might not work on

There’s no way out, at least not until the current metrics used for continuing to implement restrictions changes

And NPHET are removed and charged for the damage they caused our country

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Jesus what a joke

A few of us have a trip to Cork booked for just before the Aug bank holiday and as you said chances are slim enough now

I'd say you'll be OK for August as the Dail will be on holidays so they'll want things open

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭mightyreds

The cheeky slag, not only keeping us in this desolation but trying to get us to spend here too... well he can f*ck right off.. my hard earned and saved is going somewhere worthwhile.

Spend 900 euro on a hotel room you have to sit in for the week, un-mandatory quarantine

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 787 ✭✭✭RGS

I see leinster rugby have been refused permission to hold a test event with 2000 fans in the RDS.

.https://www.the42.ie/leinster-rugby-proposal-or-safe-return-of-fans-5421679-Apr2021/

We really are led by donkeys. Scared of their own shadows.

This match would have been an ideal test to trial the return of fans but level 5 we cant do it.

Interesting the response indicate only level 1 and 2 allow fans, so who believes fans will be allowed at the all Ireland finals in August. I dont see it happening.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,670 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

I'm a huge gig goer, its probably what I miss most from pre-covid life but I have absolutely no interest in ever attending one where masks are required. Especially when everyone at risk has been vaccinated.

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭leanin2019

No chance, too many variants lurking around the Gyms.

Various variants of weights, machines and cardio equipment.

Numerous variants of body shapes and size.

Wide range of music genre variants.

RGS wrote: »
    I see leinster rugby have been refused permission to hold a test event with 2000 fans in the RDS.

.https://www.the42.ie/leinster-rugby-proposal-or-safe-return-of-fans-5421679-Apr2021/

We really are led by donkeys. Scared of their own shadows.

This match would have been an ideal test to trial the return of fans but level 5 we cant do it.

Interesting the response indicate only level 1 and 2 allow fans, so who believes fans will be allowed at the all Ireland finals in August. I dont see it happening.

Ha some joke

Stheno wrote: »

That sounds bit more positive

No point focusing on them in June unless they have indoor dining at hotels

I'm guessing were not getting a new roadmap and a lot of industries will once again be told 'sit tight we may review the reopening situation at the end of the month (May) but for the moment hold firm and use the financial supports '

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,015 ✭✭✭✭titan18

That sounds bit more positive

No point focusing on them in June unless they have indoor dining at hotels

Nothing about gyms in that either. Kind of fearful this outdoor summer will mean not even gyms or cinemas reopen.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Multipass

Stheno wrote: »

Why is he telling his colleagues? How about the fool actually tells it straight to the country he governs

That sounds like the government alright

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭Sammy2012

Anyone have any idea when kids indoor activities will be allowed back? Like dance classes etc...if my kids can spend 6 hours a day in school I can't understand why they can't go to dance for an hour in the evening. Sports being back is great but there are other things kids do also.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement