Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part X *Read OP For Mod Warnings*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,045 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

titan18 wrote: »
    Nothing about gyms in that either. Kind of fearful this outdoor summer will mean not even gyms or cinemas reopen.

Indoor bad apparently so I'd say July at the earliest

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,646 ✭✭✭Penfailed

ypres5 wrote: »
    Well the people on other end of the spectrum have had the run of the country this past year and there's still no end in sight so I don't blame him for wanting things to open asap

I want things to open up ASAP too. He wants things to open up now with no masks, no social distancing, no limits on numbers. That's were we differ.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Pixies, Ride, Therapy?, Public Service Broadcasting, IDLES(x2), And So I Watch You From Afar

Multipass wrote: »
    Why is he telling his colleagues? How about the fool actually tells it straight to the country he governs

That's his plan before Tony disagrees tomorrow

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,139 ✭✭✭✭normanoffside

RGS wrote: »
    I see leinster rugby have been refused permission to hold a test event with 2000 fans in the RDS.

.https://www.the42.ie/leinster-rugby-proposal-or-safe-return-of-fans-5421679-Apr2021/

We really are led by donkeys. Scared of their own shadows.

This match would have been an ideal test to trial the return of fans but level 5 we cant do it.

Interesting the response indicate only level 1 and 2 allow fans, so who believes fans will be allowed at the all Ireland finals in August. I dont see it happening.

Total Joke and yet Barcelona was in their equivalent of Level 5 and still managed to get 5.000 into a packed indoor concert as a test event..
    Our Idea of a test event is a handful of spectators at an outdoor stadium when the whole adult population has been vaccinated.
    wrote:
    “When the epidemiological situation and public health regulations allow, it is intended to begin to host test events in the summer starting with limited numbers of spectators.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,471 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

Penfailed wrote: »
    I want things to open up ASAP too. He wants things to open up now with no masks, no social distancing, no limits on numbers. That's were we differ.

When will you be happy to do so?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,838 ✭✭✭Allinall

Multipass wrote: »
    Why is he telling his colleagues? How about the fool actually tells it straight to the country he governs

Probably because it’s not finalised, and he doesn’t want all the fools on the internet whinging when their musings and thoughts aren’t followed to the letter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,450 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

corcaigh07 wrote: »
    My prediction is just after the June Bank Holiday.

That’s been my prediction for a month or so. Try and keep movement down until then, open up hotels at a time when it will be mostly older guests who can be “herded” through limited indoor dining. Allows hotels etc to open up softly in prep for July, encourages people to book here than overseas (or NI). Hope vaccines continue to roll out and accept that cases does not equal deaths and hospitalisation. Today’s cases had a median of 29. Very few people over 65. Limited impact.

What exactly is vaccination, if not a mitigating factor?

Oh everyone's vaccinated now? Nobody told me!

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Pixies, Ride, Therapy?, Public Service Broadcasting, IDLES(x2), And So I Watch You From Afar

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 787 ✭✭✭RGS

Sammy2012 wrote: »
    Anyone have any idea when kids indoor activities will be allowed back? Like dance classes etc...if my kids can spend 6 hours a day in school I can't understand why they can't go to dance for an hour in the evening. Sports being back is great but there are other things kids do also.

They can dance outdoors in pods of 15 if the dance school has an outdoor area. I know its not the same as indoors but outdoor its allowed. RTE had a dance school on 6.1 news last night

Stheno wrote: »

Note that cafes, restaurants & pubs are deliberately overlooked until July. MM qualifies as the weakest leader in the history of the state. A general election would give these cowards an almighty land, if a single spine can be found among them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,657 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

titan18 wrote: »
    Nothing about gyms in that either. Kind of fearful this outdoor summer will mean not even gyms or cinemas reopen.

Gyms and cinemas are indoors so that's too dangerous. But they're looking at restarting religious services because those are indoors but not dangerous. No mention of outdoor dining either - those are outside and dangerous.

It makes perfect sense!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Multipass

Allinall wrote: »
    Probably because it’s not finalised, and he doesn’t want all the fools on the internet whinging when their musings and thoughts aren’t followed to the letter.

Funny how it got leaked then. Pathetic.

As I said; this would not happen.

It's what you want to happen though. You said so yourself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭dirkmeister

I knew that Leinster proposal would be shot down as soon as I heard it.

It smacked too much of a “can do” attitude.

It must be like dealing with a bunch of suits down at City Hall in “The Wire”.

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭Aph2016

The government are doing untold damage to this country. Us logical thinkers can see that restrictions need to be significantly reduced. The death rate is on the floor, cases are low and they're doing their absolute best to cling onto restrictions.
    We are in a completely different situation now to this time last year, and it's looking like we will be more restricted this summer than we were last summer. A total disgrace.

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭Sobit1964

Allinall wrote: »

Don't be so hard on yourself. Your musing and thoughts don't make you an idiot. Everyone, even you are entitled to an opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,139 ✭✭✭✭normanoffside

Meanwhile Portugal (which has similar infection and vaccination rates as ourselves) has declared an end to it's state of emergency.

Outdoor dining and all retail etc has already returned and from Monday Spectators will return to both outdoor and indoor events.

https://news.trust.org/item/20210427183830-ziwte/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

That’s what this is now

The danger has passed in Ireland, only an anti vaccer would say other wise

The danger of what?

Note that cafes, restaurants & pubs are deliberately overlooked until July. MM qualifies as the weakest leader in the history of the state. A general election would give these cowards an almighty land, if a single spine can be found among them.

I'll bet that's within your own county as well for hotels, guesthouses etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,468 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

KrustyUCC wrote: »
    https://twitter.com/McConnellDaniel/status/1387127260663136258

I'd like to however it seems that my chances of a staycation even in Mid July are getting slimmer by the day according to the latest leaks

Think I'll need to wait for a foreign holiday later on in the year

Meehole contradicting himself there.

How does he expect people to spend their savings when there's a half open country due to a paralysed government exercising "caution"

• Advertisement

Meanwhile Portugal (which has similar infection and vaccination rates as ourselves) has declared an end to it's state of emergency.

Outdoor dining and all retail etc has already returned and from Monday Spectators will return to both outdoor and indoor events.

https://news.trust.org/item/20210427183830-ziwte/

They should hold firm instead

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭The Big Easy

I see leinster rugby have been refused permission to hold a test event with 2000 fans in the RDS.

.https://www.the42.ie/leinster-rugby-proposal-or-safe-return-of-fans-5421679-Apr2021/

We really are led by donkeys. Scared of their own shadows.

This match would have been an ideal test to trial the return of fans but level 5 we cant do it.

Interesting the response indicate only level 1 and 2 allow fans, so who believes fans will be allowed at the all Ireland finals in August. I dont see it happening.

So the levels are still a thing?!

I'd be forgiven for forgetting all about last year's roadmap as it only leads to the ditch.

But it's very interesting that government ministers still refer to its levels as if they somehow mean something.

They really would make your brain explode.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭CruelSummer

Did I dream this enroute to work this morning or did someone actually say on Morning Ireland radio that when Ireland reopened last July...that was ‘too soon’ ?!! And this seemed to be peddled /agreed with then by the presenter.
    Someone also made a case that ‘we still have a higher number of cases per day than last November” - which is a moot point as we’ve 1 million now with their first vaccination & hospitals are very quiet with Covid issues thankfully.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,255 ✭✭✭Sammy2012

They can dance outdoors in pods of 15 if the dance school has an outdoor area. I know its not the same as indoors but outdoor its allowed. RTE had a dance school on 6.1 news last night

Teacher not prepared to do outdoor classes and to be honest I totally understand where they are coming from. Things like swimming lessons also need to be looked at for kids. They're are kids who swim competitively and they have not been allowed to do this for months.

As an adult I'd love to be able to go out for a meal or even into a shop for a browse!!! Im from wexford and we have a 5 day average of 2 cases per day!! The restrictions are totally OTT at this stage. We need to start living again!

Aph2016 wrote: »
    The government are doing untold damage to this country. Us logical thinkers can see that restrictions need to be significantly reduced. The death rate is on the floor, cases are low and they're doing their absolute best to cling onto restrictions.
    We are in a completely different situation now to this time last year, and it's looking like we will be more restricted this summer than we were last summer. A total disgrace.

Sometimes you just want to scream, but then you'd be crazy and their point would be proven.

When will you be happy to do so?

When I deem it safe. Currently, I don't. When will you be happy to do so?

ypres5 - do you have to 'thank' every single post that's a response to me? I'm flattered like.

lawred2 wrote: »

How does he expect people to spend their savings when there's a half open country due to a paralysed government exercising "caution"

Exactly

He's talking out of his backside as usual

• Registered Users Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭dalyboy

Gyms and cinemas are indoors so that's too dangerous. But they're looking at restarting religious services because those are indoors but not dangerous. No mention of outdoor dining either - those are outside and dangerous.

It makes perfect sense!

I wouldn’t be too concerned about cinemas reopening tbh.

Sadly there’s no movies being produced atm because similar forces of nutcases have seemingly closed Hollywood down .

Same forces (NPHET like loons just the American version) who ignore the science of reality by turning a blind eye to states like Texas / Florida / South Dakota

Poland as the plague[tm] capital of the EU only a few weeks back with 30k plus cases a day [with a SHOCKING 30%+ positivity], have seen the peak of the third wave[tm] - and are announcing plans tomorrow to reopen the economy fully by the end of May. Cases have plummeted.

This of course is helped by vaccines for those who request them.

Ireland is for some reason hanging onto the British variant which already did its rounds earlier than the rest of the continent as some reason to hold firm. Its odd.

• Advertisement

gozunda wrote: »
    The danger of what?

Of the kind of catastrophic outcome that justifies emergency laws and the restriction of civil liberties that are fundamental to any kind of meaningful human life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,942 ✭✭✭growleaves

dalyboy wrote: »
    I wouldn’t be too concerned about cinemas reopening tbh.

Sadly there’s no movies being produced atm because similar forces of nutcases have seemingly closed Hollywood down .

Same forces who ignore the science of reality by turning a blind eye to states like Texas / Florida / South Dakota

They can screen classics though.

ypres5 - do you have to 'thank' every single post that's a response to me? I'm flattered like.

How do you quantify “safe”?

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭Aph2016

Sometimes you just want to scream, but then you'd be crazy and their point would be proven.

I don't have the words for the level of frustration and anger I have towards the restrictions. I haven't seen a rational argument recently for keeping the restrictions at the current level.

How do you quantify “safe”?

I'll answer that when you reply to my question.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 52,225 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Under Martin FF do appear to be the more conservative of the two main parties in Government alright, if there wasn't a pandemic and the looming threat of SF I'd say it would have collapsed by now

I cannot understand the trepidation behind reopening all outdoor activites, hugely frustrating with this drip, drip, drip of phased reopening.

• Advertisement

Even the mods are joining the dark side of the argument

We will have some army assembled yet

This is what I can’t figure out either. How will they release our money if nothing is open? NI will be getting a lot of it and soon as the travel advice changes it’ll flow straight out. Nobody will pay 3 grand for a wet week in Kerry when it’ll cost half that for a week in Spain. How nobody seems to be able to understand this is beyond me!
    I’m really hoping this govt collapses soon tbh. The utter spinelessness of MM is the worst thing of the entire pandemic. At least with Leo you know what’s coming a month before he announces it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭ypres5

Take it up with a moderator if you feel that intimidated

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 52,225 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

This is what I can’t figure out either. How will they release our money if nothing is open? NI will be getting a lot of it and soon as the travel advice changes it’ll flow straight out. Nobody will pay 3 grand for a wet week in Kerry when it’ll cost half that for a week in Spain. How nobody seems to be able to understand this is beyond me!
    I’m really hoping this govt collapses soon tbh. The utter spinelessness of MM is the worst thing of the entire pandemic. At least with Leo you know what’s coming a month before he announces it!

This is why I think there will be more opened faster tbh despite the current chatter, once the pubs open in NI at the end of May it's pretty much gonna be open season for people to start holidaying up there.

Even throw us a bone with some outdoor dining to keep us spending our money in the Republic!

The government is broke too so that could force things a bit

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,838 ✭✭✭Allinall

Sobit1964 wrote: »
    Don't be so hard on yourself. Your musing and thoughts don't make you an idiot. Everyone, even you are entitled to an opinion.

What?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Where’s graham lately ? Hehe

watching in varying levels or surprise, amusement and boredom. ;)

Where’s graham lately ? Hehe

He may have went to the beach.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

Mortified for that lad on Prime Time there who works in a restaurant but doesn’t want to see them open indoors yet because “people will die because of a meal”
    More like ya can’t be arsed going back to work yet!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

Zebra3 wrote: »
    One million people vaccinated and the country still in L5.

Who would’ve believed that during the winter?

And the cheerleaders demanding it goes on....

I read this post earlier on. And it got me angry.
    The spineless government cabinet in power at the moment are constantly and unfairly moving the goalposts. We are doing what we are told like no other citizens on the planet, but the more we comply, the more we are penalised.

So do we presume that in order to regain our inherent democratic freedoms we do not to comply with their directives? It is embarrassing to think what our country achieved a hundred years ago against the might of the most militarily powerful nation on earth at the time. And now look at us .................. totally subservient to extremely weak social-media-driven leaders.

Where is our pride?

Mortified for that lad on Prime Time there who works in a restaurant but doesn’t want to see them open indoors yet because “people will die because of a meal”

RTÉ "man on the street" gave him more airtime than those enthusiastic about easing of restrictions. Figures.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,953 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Oh everyone's vaccinated now? Nobody told me!

Genuinely.....

Why would you make a comment about everyone being vaccinated?

What has that got to do with removing restrictions?

Do you actually think the virus is a threat to 100% of the population?

Because we will never, ever, ever get 100% of the population vaccinated for a variety of reasons.

The vast majority of people that this virus could kill have now got at least one dose of a vaccine which offers huge protection. The vast majority of essential healthcare workers have been vaccinated so we are not going to have weak links in our healthcare personnel numbers smashed.

Yeah enjoying the pup alright

Lad hadn't a clue what was going on around him. "numbers are too high" supposedly

Embarrassing for the two of them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,738 ✭✭✭giveitholly

Won't need a covid passport to get your hair cut

https://twitter.com/gavreilly/status/1387126982622826500?s=19

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

Yeah enjoying the pup alright

Lad hadn't a clue what was going on around him. "numbers are too high" supposedly

Embarrassing for the two of them

Your one behind him trying not to laugh

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement