Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part X *Read OP For Mod Warnings*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,953 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Won't need a covid passport to get your hair cut

https://twitter.com/gavreilly/status/1387126982622826500?s=19

After over a year of suppressing people's civil liberties, there is now a concern of suppressing people's civil liberties. :rolleyes:

And I can't imagine one journalist calling Mehole out on that.

Not sure which is worse, the servility of the people or the collusion by the media.

Won't need a covid passport to get your hair cut

https://twitter.com/gavreilly/status/1387126982622826500?s=19

Well that's amazeballs. I'm right tickled by the inevitable dismissal of a crackpot proposal.

Next.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 52,225 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Mortified for that lad on Prime Time there who works in a restaurant but doesn’t want to see them open indoors yet because “people will die because of a meal”
    More like ya can’t be arsed going back to work yet!

Actually you bring up a very good point. Our local hotel didn't reopen for the few weeks respite at Christmas because they couldn't get the staff.

Why would they go back to work when they had a nice free Christmas claiming PUP instead of working unsocial hours for only a short period of time before having to go through the whole rigmarole of applying again.

Was very sad to see at the time though for the business, who after a number of failed ownerships had been finally finding their feet in the community before all of this started last year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 182 ✭✭finalfurlong

Necro wrote: »
    Under Martin FF do appear to be the more conservative of the two main parties in Government alright, if there wasn't a pandemic and the looming threat of SF I'd say it would have collapsed by now

I cannot understand the trepidation behind reopening all outdoor activites, hugely frustrating with this drip, drip, drip of phased reopening.
    Varadker not too different.On tv today he said " main concern is avoiding 4th wave this side of autumn,winter er or possibly er altogether"-so with all vaccinations done in october these clowns have now normalised "waves/lockdowns" as a go to solution to any rise for any reason in hospital admissions.I really despair of this passive cowardly attitude.Minister for Enterprise? him ,Martin and their assortment of nodding dogs in Govt ,Nphet have a neck to be peddling the spin this week that "indoors is the danger"-WTF-how is this line peddled as a policy?The patronising has gone to a new low since the weekend and "let them eat cake" is the most apt description of these fkrs attitude.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,738 ✭✭✭giveitholly

Actually you bring up a very good point. Our local hotel didn't reopen for the few weeks respite at Christmas because they couldn't get the staff.

Why would they go back to work when they had a nice free Christmas claiming PUP instead of working unsocial hours for only a short period of time before having to go through the whole rigmarole of applying again.

Was very sad to see at the time though for the business, who after a number of failed ownerships had been finally finding their feet in the community before all of this started last year.

Until the PUP is cut then people will continue to support extended lockdowns

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,826 ✭✭✭✭bear1

Sobit1964 wrote: »
    Poland as the plague[tm] capital of the EU only a few weeks back with 30k plus cases a day [with a SHOCKING 30%+ positivity], have seen the peak of the third wave[tm] - and are announcing plans tomorrow to reopen the economy fully by the end of May. Cases have plummeted.

This of course is helped by vaccines for those who request them.

Ireland is for some reason hanging onto the British variant which already did its rounds earlier than the rest of the continent as some reason to hold firm. Its odd.

Mm I live in Warsaw so I'm curious where you've heard this?
    Restaurants have been fully shut since October, retail is pretty much closed (just like in Ireland) they've had a disastrous vaccination programme and have the highest inflation rate in the EU.
    Not to mention they also sporadically introduced restrictions on leaving the worst regions which has been on and off.
    Just saying, Poland isn't a poster child here.

Donnelly: "We know we have to slow the vaccination programme down...those are very ambitious targets to hit by the end of June"

The frantic backpedalling has begun in earnest.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭Sebastian Dangerfield

Ive seen references to easing of restrictions on construction, outdoor sport, personal services etc. Has anyone seen mention of house viewings anywhere?

• Advertisement

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Ive seen references to easing of restrictions on construction, outdoor sport, personal services etc. Has anyone seen mention of house viewings anywhere?
    no, it's not been mentioned

Yes but is it reality, when there is nothing even for outdoor hospitality in May?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,468 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Mixed messages Mickey

Inter county travel? No outdoor dining?

He's all over the shop

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

Well Necro, that opens up a whole other can of worms.
    The government made it very easy not to work during the pandemic, and a lot of people would say that they make is easy not work in non-pandemic times also. Our PUP payments are unfathomable to most Europeans.
    Disclaimer: I have family on it.

Stheno wrote: »
    no, it's not been mentioned

Yes but is it reality, when there is nothing even for outdoor hospitality in May?

I still hold out hope the end of May will see outdoor dining return. NI's reopening will force their hand a little I suspect

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,256 ✭✭✭✭km79

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,324 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

lawred2 wrote: »
    Mixed messages Mickey

Inter county travel? No outdoor dining?

He's all over the shop
    If there is inter county travel....people will just go to northern Ireland, shops opening in a few days, restaurants etc won't be far behind them

gmisk wrote: »
    If there is inter county travel....people will just go to northern Ireland, shops opening in a few days, restaurants etc won't be far behind them

And?

Kivaro wrote: »
    Well Necro, that opens up a whole other can of worms.
    The government made it very easy not to work during the pandemic, and a lot of people would say that they make is easy not work in non-pandemic times also. Our PUP payments are unfathomable to most Europeans.
    Disclaimer: I have family on it.

That's true, and probably not for this thread but yeah the decision to just pay everyone the same rate in the beginning wasn't the most intelligent seen alright. Now granted there are mitigating circumstances with the administration of payments to hundreds of thousands within a few weeks, but... not tapering PUP from the beginning was a crazy decision

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭ypres5

Donnelly: "We know we have to slow the vaccination programme down...those are very ambitious targets to hit by the end of June"

The frantic backpedalling has begun in earnest.

Someone in the higher echelons of government came close to showing some ambition with that target, we can't be having that

And?
    And nothing....I am just saying.
    Newry will be heaving with people.
    People need some kind of a timeline for ROI, it's madness at this stage.
    I have kept to everything in the lockdown up til today tbh.
    I live in Dublin but from northern Ireland, got first vaccine today in Belfast. Will likely have second shot before I will get the first one down here.
    It's a shambles.

• Advertisement

And nothing....I am just saying.
    Newry will be heaving with people.
    People need some kind of a timeline for ROI, it's madness at this stage

Sorry, way you said it, came across as you thought it a bad thing.. and a justification for holding off inter county travel.

Again, this is exactly why I see outdoor dining returning end of May. NI reopening sort of forces their hand in this regard, they will be acutely aware that people will just travel across the border if they do nothing... imo anyways.

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭daydorunrun

Out door house viewings are now permitted as long as it’s in your own county;)

“You tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, never try.” Homer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,045 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

June probably means the last weekend in June

As for wet pubs Tony will sort that one out

Alcohol with no €9 meal

That's so 2019

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭Sobit1964

bear1 wrote: »
    Mm I live in Warsaw so I'm curious where you've heard this?
    Restaurants have been fully shut since October, retail is pretty much closed (just like in Ireland) they've had a disastrous vaccination programme and have the highest inflation rate in the EU.
    Not to mention they also sporadically introduced restrictions on leaving the worst regions which has been on and off.
    Just saying, Poland isn't a poster child here.

If you are in Warsaw, you might head towards old town along Nowy Swiat - you will find a lovely Irish Pub serving delicious pints of Guinness, its next to an excellent vodka bar, and a few doors down from the lobster bar. Its mostly but not always outdoor stuff from what I saw.

Source: Me, last friday - while visiting.

Edit: Check out the spicy sausage in the lobster bar - its to die for - outside dining at its finest ;)

Not at level 5

Sorry, way you said it, came across as you thought it a bad thing.. and a justification for holding off inter county travel.
    You are totally picking me up wrong.

With no timetable down here I honestly don't blame people for going north.
    I have kept to all restrictions (bar possibly today...when I went to Belfast from Dublin for first vaccine!)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Multipass

km79 wrote: »
    Outdoor dining .....?

I still laugh every time I see this mentioned. Who wants to sit under a tarp in the pouring rain, with the wing blowing around your legs, to eat a meal. What restaurant can operate depending on the weather? on bad days they’ll be deserted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,139 ✭✭✭✭normanoffside

Mehole now sayin that outdoor gatherings seen of late are superspreading events.
    I've seen no evidence of this.

https://twitter.com/McConnellDaniel/status/1387128132717711366

...not up for consideration in June. Set phasers to stunned.

Where did you see that?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,738 ✭✭✭giveitholly

Multipass wrote: »
    I still laugh every time I see this mentioned. Who wants to sit under a tarp in the pouring rain, with the wing blowing around your legs, to eat a meal. What restaurant can operate depending on the weather? on bad days they’ll be deserted.

Exactly,the weather the next few weeks won't endear anyone to eat outside,cold and wet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,657 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

Mehole now sayin that outdoor gatherings seen of late are superspreading events.

Micheál "new virus" Martin sputing unverified guff as fact? I'm shocked.

Would someone tell him to sit down

FF party needs to wake up and put this lad out to pasture

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭ypres5

Would someone tell him to sit down

FF party needs to wake up and put this lad out to pasture

And replace him with whom is the question. I don't think there's anyone in the pipeline to become a worthwhile FF leader and the upper echelons know it. Fianna Fáil are the sick man of Irish politics.

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭11521323

ypres5 wrote: »
    And replace him with whom is the question. I don't think there's anyone in the pipeline to become a worthwhile FF leader and the upper echelons know it. Fianna Fáil are the sick man of Irish politics.

Literally anyone. He's the weakest sack of ****e they could have installed in that position.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,024 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Just curious watching the BBC news tonight, the UK Had 2600 approx new cases today with a population of 60 million and by all accounts a more successful vacinne roll out. Ireland is reporting 400/450 new cases per day and similar deaths to UK (albeit some delayed reporting with a population of 4.9 million.

Maybe I'm wrong but over the past two weeks there's a developing narrative we've turned the corner?

Just using the UK as an example, I certainly think not.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,939 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Tony will be happy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

Theres probably some poor ****s reading this now and nooding in agreement, this demented stuff coming out of gov officials in 2021, you have to seriously consider wtf is the end goal here, as **** isnt even funny anymore. Sounds like some next level north korean ****

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Meanwhile Portugal (which has similar infection and vaccination rates as ourselves) has declared an end to it's state of emergency.
    Outdoor dining and all retail etc has already returned and from Monday Spectators will return to both outdoor and indoor events.

https://news.trust.org/item/20210427183830-ziwte/

A similar infection rate to us?

Portugal, with just over 10 million people, has reported a total of 16,970 deaths. The total number of coronavirus cases is 834,991,

We've had a total of 4,884 deaths and 247,489 coronavirus cases. Our population is 4.9 million.

Portugal opened up last summer for its tourist season and within months saw a rapid rise cases when they had to impose new restrictions. I do hope their vaccination programme can keep up ..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭TomSweeney

WTAF
    (from the Telegraph)
    June 21 is burned into the public consciousness as the day when life will finally return to normal and Britain will reach its destination on Boris Johnson’s “one-way road to freedom”.

But there are growing signs that Covid-19 restrictions will remain in place long after the summer solstice.

The Government’s scientific advisers want “baseline measures”, including social distancing, to continue for another year, councils are hiring Covid marshals to start work in July.....

Just a few days ago they were saying the UK is officially out of the pandemic..... yet it seems long term restrictions at least are getting worse ...
    Meanwhile, legal powers to impose domestic Covid-19 restrictions have been extended by Parliament until September, while international travel restrictions are expected to stay in place for many months.

The Prime Minister insists “the end really is in sight”, but it increasingly seems that may only apply to those who own a telescope.

This has me absolutely GOBSMACKED
    Covid Marshals
    If all legal restrictions are lifted on June 21, the one thing the country surely will not need from then on is Covid Marshals.

Yet, councils around the country are advertising jobs for Covid Marshals that do not start until July and will continue until next year.

They include Hertfordshire County Council, which has advertised a £3 million contract for 60 Covid Marshals to start work on July 1 through to Jan 31 next year, with a possible extension of up to one year, meaning they could be in place until 2023.

Imagine the type of authoritarian little thug that would apply for a "Covid Marshal" job.

Just look at the description for the job...
    Their job will be to “aid and encourage compliance” and to help the public and businesses “understand regulations and guidance”.

although at least they don't have enforcement powers... So we have the Australian govt admitting they won't open the border even when 100% of the population are vaccinated, and now this authoritarian little jackboot thugs that will be working in Britain until 2023.

What is going on ?

Why are restrictions going to be worse than summer 2020 ?

If I am a conspiracy theorist tell me why , the above is true , it's all here ..
    https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2021/04/27/june-21-wont-much-return-normal-thought/

Sobit1964 wrote: »
    If you are in Warsaw, you might head towards old town along Nowy Swiat - you will find a lovely Irish Pub serving delicious pints of Guinness, its next to an excellent vodka bar, and a few doors down from the lobster bar. Its mostly but not always outdoor stuff from what I saw.

Source: Me, last friday - while visiting.

Edit: Check out the spicy sausage in the lobster bar - its to die for - outside dining at its finest ;)

I know the place, but just saying.. your example isn't accurate.
    They have no plans to reopen anything yet, they've already said gastronomy is to stayed closed for now.
    Source: I live here :P

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭daydorunrun

TomSweeney wrote: »
    WTAF
    (from the Telegraph)

Just a few days ago they were saying the UK is officially out of the pandemic..... yet it seems long term restrictions at least are getting worse ...

Imagine the type of authoritarian little thug that would apply for a "Covid Marshal" job.

although at least they don't have enforcement powers... So we have the Australian govt admitting they won't open the border even when 100% of the population are vaccinated, and now this authoritarian little jackboot thugs that will be working in Britain until 2023.

What is going on ?

If I am a conspiracy theorist tell me why , the above is true , it's all here ..
    https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2021/04/27/june-21-wont-much-return-normal-thought/

Traffic wardens about to loose their no.1 spot on the most hated list!!

“You tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, never try.” Homer.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 452 ✭✭Sharpyshoot

The variants

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,471 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

gozunda wrote: »
    A similar infection rate to us?

Portugal, with just over 10 million people, has reported a total of 16,970 deaths. The total number of coronavirus cases is 834,991,

We've had a total of 4,884 deaths and 247,489 coronavirus cases. Our population is 4.9 million.

Portugal opened up last summer for its tourist season and within months saw a rapid rise cases when they had to impose new restrictions. I do hope their vaccination programme can keep up ..

A vulnerable population more than 3 times more populated than Ireland’s

Thus about 3 times Ireland’s death rate

As David McWilliams said recently, it’s very easy for Ireland to keep its Covid death rate low as most of its elderly citizens lived, worked and died in the UK due to Ireland’s lack of opportunities in the 1950s - 1990s

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭Sobit1964

bear1 wrote: »
    I know the place, but just saying.. your example isn't accurate.
    They have no plans to reopen anything yet, they've already said gastronomy is to stayed closed for now.
    Source: I live here :P

Watch the news tomorrow ;) You might hear about a roadmap.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,646 ✭✭✭Penfailed

ypres5 wrote: »
    Take it up with a moderator if you feel that intimidated

Flattered, not intimidated.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Pixies, Ride, Therapy?, Public Service Broadcasting, IDLES(x2), And So I Watch You From Afar

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Of the kind of catastrophic outcome that justifies emergency laws and the restriction of civil liberties that are fundamental to any kind of meaningful human life.

Er ok but what has that long list of emotive adjectives got to do with 'anti vaccers"?

Asking for a friend ..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,360 ✭✭✭✭Ha Long Bay

A vulnerable population more than 3 times more populated than Ireland’s

Thus about 3 times Ireland’s death rate

As David McWilliams said recently, it’s very easy for Ireland to keep its Covid death rate low as most of its elderly citizens lived, worked and died in the UK due to Ireland’s lack of opportunities in the 1950s - 1990s

How is Portugal 3 times more populated than Ireland?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,471 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

How is Portugal 3 times more populated than Ireland?

Vulnerable population (over 65 ) has about 2.2 million citizens

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭11521323

TomSweeney wrote: »
    WTAF
    (from the Telegraph)

What is going on ?

The vast majority are accepting these restrictions with open arms. If the Government can get away with it, why would they actually make it hard on themselves and make a tough decision and take any risks?

Our population are as weak as a two year old pigeon with a clipped wing, no wonder they feel they can do whatever they want.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement