Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part X *Read OP For Mod Warnings*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,621 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

ypres5 wrote: »
    You criticizing someone else for being insulting is hilarious boggles. Passport applications have been closed bar exceptional circumstances for months the DFA themselves have said so and people who sent in passports as part of their child's application were awaiting the return of theirs. This lazy effort to rewrite past events by you and graham is ridiculous
    hynesie08 wrote: »
    I applied online and received my passport in 4 days, so did a lot of people on the threads in AH and travel, so yeah, definitely processing them.

Backs up the Ministers numbers to be fair.

And yours when you are ready?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭ypres5

Graham wrote: »
    Some amount of exceptions for a department you're insisting was closed but obviously facts are of limited relevance to whatever point it is you're trying to prove/disprove.

If you're privy to information that the DFA aren't aware of then I suggest you pass it onto them Graham

https://www.dfa.ie/passports/contact/#:~:text=The Passport Service has paused,we return to Level 4.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,873 ✭✭✭hynesie08

You criticizing someone else for being insulting is hilarious boggles. Passport applications have been closed bar exceptional circumstances for months the DFA themselves have said so and people who sent in passports as part of their child's application were awaiting the return of theirs. This lazy effort to rewrite past events by you and graham is ridiculous

Except they haven't.

Boggles wrote: »
    Backs up the Ministers numbers to be fair.

And yours when you are ready?

Quite ready,

https://www.dfa.ie/passports/contact/#:~:text=The%20Passport%20Service%20has%20paused,we%20return%20to%20Level%204.

Potatoeman wrote: »
    No, reopen then close after the next spike and open again after a month. We’ve been at 400-600 for two months. They need to be practical.

So you think we should close in a month and reopen in another month?

"Not a popular one Joe"

• Advertisement

Except they haven't.

I've linked their site twice already, I value the DFA's own statement above your random anecdote

https://www.dfa.ie/passports/contact/#:~:text=The%20Passport%20Service%20has%20paused,we%20return%20to%20Level%204.

I don't see any numbers.

How were 430,000 passports issued if they were closed?

Is Simon peddling falsehoods?

What are your numbers?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,036 ✭✭✭✭Stark

zebastein wrote: »
    Did anybody read something about swimming pools ?
    I have seen gyms on the 7th June, but at some point last year swimming pools were considered less dangerous (usage of chlorine).

Same as gyms. The pool itself is fine, it's the changing rooms and the like that are the issue. The chlorine stuff as well sounds like it was from when everyone thought you got covid from touching stuff, as opposed to breathing it in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,256 ✭✭✭✭km79

Are libraries reopening in some form on May 10th?
    It’s one of the most ridiculous aspects of the restrictions for me that they couldn’t continue click and collect throughout.
    It’s the youngest lads main hobby .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

paw patrol wrote: »
    this x1000 percent. esp if that man is Luke O'Neill who tells you masks don't work . Then a few months later will tell you they do work cos the science is "overwhelming" (his words) - decades of science overturned in an "overwhelming" manner in a few months. seem legit to me :rolleyes: but who am anybody to question the professor?

I see the problem. You were dependent on "the man on the telly" to determine what to believe and when to believe it. You know "the man" you're telling everyone else they were listening to.

You also seem to think science is immutable

There was a very big thread in this forum from the start of pandemic - where endless posters pointed out that the WHO stance on masks simply didn't stand up to all the scientific evidence.

And yes the World Health Organization subsequently went from not recommending masks for everyone to recommending them. I presume Luke and others was following that dictate.

I believe the weight of existing scientific evidence plus new studies pushed this to happen.

Apparently whether believable or otherwise the subtext was that the available mask supply at the time was needed for HCWs.

We know masks work, we know there's different grades of masks. People can work this out for themselves and many did without listening to "the man on the telly"

• Advertisement

I don't see any numbers.

How were 430,000 passports issued if they were closed?

Is Simon peddling falsehoods?

What are your numbers?

I never mentioned numbers are you suggesting the DFA and citizens advice websites are peddling lies? It's a fact that passport apps have been suspended bar emergency applications. If you took the time to read the page and what I'm attaching now you might find it easier to understand.

https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/travel_and_recreation/passports/irish_passports_an_overview.html#:~:text=when%20this%20happens.-,Passport%20applications%20and%20COVID-19,on%20the%20Passport%20Service's%20website.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

If you're privy to information that the DFA aren't aware of then I suggest you pass it onto them Graham

While walking on the beach it is not mandatory to bury ones head.

I've linked their site twice already, I value the DFA's own statement above your random anecdote

Fair enough, here you go.

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭Sobit1964

To be fair - if there hadn't been a quicker relaxation of rules and it had of went something like this:

Lockdown at level 5 till 2033, masks to be worn while sleeping, a one child policy, forced vaxes at gun point, all tea without milk prohibited, an invasion of Derry, children to wear plastic bags on their heads... etc etc

These two would still be saying that its following the science, and we should trust the professionals, its very basic, its remedial stuff, i'm not sure why this is so hard, its not rocket science, its quite expected, its normal, sensible.

This thread just went to level 10 comical, with of course very good news attached.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭paw patrol

only those within 5k of a beach have such luxury of choice to burying their heads or not

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭Galwayhurl

Can't believe people are still saying that the Passport Office was only processing urgent applications.

The fact is, they were processing all applications that were:

a. online applications
    b. for renewals of
    c. biometric passports

That is passports that have a number beginning with PC or PL. Which is pretty much every passport that has been produced since the mid noughties onwards.

I applied online for mine on a Tuesday at 3 p.m. The passport arrived at my apartment delivered by An Post at 10.30 a.m. on Thursday morning. Less than 48 hours.

Amazing service.

The only applications that are in the backlog are brand new, first time, non-urgent applications.

Clearly it is if you find the DFA's website that difficult to navigate, to make it a bit easier I'll just copy over the entire page, try and navigate your flimsy argument around this one.

Update on Provision of Passport Services
    Passport Online

Passport Online is open to all applicants, including children, renewing their passports and those applying for their first passport who are resident in Ireland, UK, EU, EEA and Switzerland. These applications will be processed when the Passport Services resumes operations at Level 4.

To apply via Passport Online, please click here.

The Passport Service has paused operations in line with the move to Level 5 of the Government's National Framework on Living with COVID-19 from 24 December 2020.

If you need documents returned to you, please contact our WebChat service

Emergency Passport service

If you need a passport for travel in an emergency, please contact us through our WebChat service.

An emergency is defined as death or grave illness of an immediate family member, with a need for urgent travel within the next few days or for emergency medical treatment of the applicant.

The Emergency team will request proof of emergency.

First-time applications require a longer processing time.

If you are undertaking a non-essential journey with a reasonable excuse, please contact our WebChat service.

Documents cannot be delivered by hand as our offices are closed. Please do not post any documents to us until you have contacted our WebChat service

Please note that passport cards will not be produced during Level 5 restrictions.

This is a difficult time for us all. Even though our services are restricted we will continue to do our very best to help you at this time.

Contact Us

During Level 5, our phone lines are closed. If you need a passport for travel in an emergency (death or serious illness of a family member or for emergency medical treatment of the applicant), please contact us through our Customer Service Hub.

For the most up to date travel advice please check: dfa.ie/travel/travel-advice. If you are abroad, you should contact your local Irish Embassy or Consulate. They can advise you about your options for travel.

We advise citizens to follow HSE guidelines on restricting movements.

Passport Express

The processing of Passport Express applications, including Northern Ireland Passport Express and Great Britain Passport Express, is paused. The turnaround time after we resume will be 6-8 weeks.

Foreign Birth Registrations

The processing of Foreign Birth Registrations has paused in line with the move to Level 5 of the National Framework for Living with COVID-19 from 24 December.

If you have submitted supporting documentation to us, it will be held securely. However, we cannot retrieve supporting documents at this time.

If you have not submitted supporting documents, please wait until Ireland has returned to level 3 or lower on the National Framework for Living with COVID-19.

If you have an FBR query, please see here

International Postal restrictions

During COVID-19, the Passport Service are working with An Post to deliver Passport Online.

An Post are continuing normal deliveries in Ireland, Northern Ireland, Great Britain and most of the European Union.

There are some international restrictions due to COVID-19. Information on An Post's international postal services are available here .

Where there is no An Post International service available, we are working to deliver Passport Online through our network of Embassies and Consulates. If you have pre-paid for delivery (€15), there will be no further charge.

km79 wrote: »
    Are libraries reopening in some form on May 10th?
    It’s one of the most ridiculous aspects of the restrictions for me that they couldn’t continue click and collect throughout.
    It’s the youngest lads main hobby .

Galleries museums and libraries may 10th.

I never mentioned numbers are you suggesting the DFA and citizens advice websites are peddling lies? It's a fact that passport apps have been suspended bar emergency applications. If you took the time to read the page and what I'm attaching now you might find it easier to understand.

https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/travel_and_recreation/passports/irish_passports_an_overview.html#:~:text=when%20this%20happens.-,Passport%20applications%20and%20COVID-19,on%20the%20Passport%20Service's%20website.

Nope.

Galwayhurl wrote: »
    Can't believe people are still saying that the Passport Office was only processing urgent applications.

a. online applications
    b. for renewals of
    c. biometric passports

That is passports that have a number beginning with PC or PL. Which is pretty much every passport that has been produced since the mid noughties onwards.

I applied online for mine on a Tuesday at 3 p.m. The passport arrived at my apartment delivered by An Post at 10.30 a.m. on Thursday morning. Less than 48 hours.

Amazing service.

The only applications that are in the backlog are brand new, first time, non-urgent applications.

Nah lad, we're making it up.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭SAMTALK

Sobit1964 wrote: »
    To be fair - if there hadn't been a quicker relaxation of rules and it had of went something like this:

Lockdown at level 5 till 2033, masks to be worn while sleeping, a one child policy, forced vaxes at gun point, all tea without milk prohibited, an invasion of Derry, children to wear plastic bags on their heads... etc etc

These two would still be saying that its following the science, and we should trust the professionals, its very basic, its remedial stuff, i'm not sure why this is so hard, its not rocket science, its quite expected, its normal, sensible.

This thread just went to level 10 comica
    l, with of course very good news attached.

Think it's you who might have brought it there TBF

Nope.

Petulant to the last when proven wrong, as always. Explain the DFAs own statement on their website? Are you honestly going to argue you know better than the Dept. themselves?

Petulant to the last when proven wrong, as always. Explain the DFAs own statement on their website? Are you honestly going to argue you know better than the Dept. themselves?

He's not wrong, they were processing passports. Non emergency ones as well.

For the benefit of ypres5 who appears to be struggling here:

551752.jpg

For the benefit of ypres5 who appears to be struggling here:

551752.jpg

I can upload a photo of the actual passport as well if it helps him make the connection.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Klonker

prunudo wrote: »
    Its completely disingenuous to say that the latest leaks arent a surprise and they always planned to open up in May. Something has drastically changed in government buildings in the last 24-36hrs to signal such a speeding up of their approach.
    The data has been pretty much constant for the last few weeks, falling hospitalisations, stable case numbers and increasing vaccinations. Up until a few days ago the cmo was telling nphet members to think long and hard about easing restrictions and senior ministers sounding very downbeat about opening up. I just don't see what has changed that is given them this new found positivity.

They are jumping up and down now about great we are doing but in reality the signs have been there since early March they could ease certain sections of society more quickly. It is their approach that is puzzling more so than what the figures say imo.

There has definitely been a shift. Earlier in the week we were being given leaks that the government wanted to ease inter county travel in late June and NPHET wanted early July and low and behold now its easing 10th May! That is a huge change.

Its funny though there are posters here who earlier in the week were happy with the expected easing leaks and we needed to be that cautious and now they are also happy with the new expected easing and think that's appropriate also. It just shows they actually don't have an opinion apart from just agreeing with whatever NPHET tell them. At least the people texting into Pat Kenny complaining it's too quick and we'll have another surge seem to have an opinion on the situation no matter how much I disagree with them!

Back to my point, there has been a big shift the last 36 hours but it seems to be coming from NPHET rather than government. I get it hard to believe the government grow a backbone all of a sudden. They all seemed giddy yesterday like when your teacher allowed you to go out and play outside for the rest of your class! Why NPHETs stance changed would be just guessing until maybe be get told a bit more information. My guess would be more international data on vaccines, particularly from Israel and the UK, less worry about variants dispute RTEs best efforts and also the fact a lot of people had moved on and were following their own rules anyway (meeting up outside etc) so the official rules need to catch up to stay credible.

From the governments perspective they have to sign up to the green cert in June/July so they need to allign this with more closely with out internal restrictions. It wouldn't go down well with tourists flying in and out and us still under county restrictions. Also no doubt Northern Irelands reopening would be part of the government mind too.

I can upload a photo of the actual passport as well if it helps him make the connection.

I get the distinct impression it won't. Here's the script so far. It's quite comical.

Passport office are closed.

I got a passport.

Thousands of passports have been issued

DFA have released figures for passports issued

Loads of people on boards have received passports

Here's my application details.

:pac: :pac: :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,370 ✭✭✭Potatoeman

So you think we should close in a month and reopen in another month?

"Not a popular one Joe"

Fail to plan and you plan to fail.

What level are we now at?

Is it 5 or 4 - have those been ditched in the past while with lowering restrictions?

• Advertisement

I get the distinct impression it won't.

It's a bit sad at this point, I'd say the chap needs a holiday, but his passport is probably expired and he refuses to believe it can be renewed...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,468 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

Something not quite matching up here, there is a big backlog, confirmed 2 hours ago:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.irishexaminer.com/news/politics/arid-40277363.html%3ftype=amp

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

corcaigh07 wrote: »
    Something not matching up here, there is a big backlog, confirmed 2 hours ago:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.irishexaminer.com/news/politics/arid-40277363.html%3ftype=amp

It's literally there in the third paragraph
    Because of health and safety recommendations on maintaining distance only a third of staff had been able to work “on the floor” processing passport applications, he explained.

corcaigh07 wrote: »
    Something not matching up here, there is a big backlog, confirmed 2 hours ago:

Postal applications, completely unnecessary in 2021.

You're literally refusing to listen to facts though.

As linked by corcaigh above, would there be a 90k backlog of they were being processed as normal?

Probably recently in the past month or so started sending them out again, that would tally with their website, the posters who said they were closed and couldn't get a passport, and the poster who clearly received his this month.

• Advertisement

As linked by corcaigh above, would there be a 90k backlog of they were being processed as normal?

Put down the goalposts lad, you were claiming no non emergency processing was being done.

And we end up with a backlog in applications every time the flu hits the office.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭themacattack.

heading the right direction now,lockdowns hopefully will never ever be considered as a way of managing covid...would not fully trust the government but confidant enough that no european country will impose level 5 style restrictions again if vaccines do their job which its more or less been demonstrated that they do.

why would any country need to close any industry again if there is a collapse in hospitlisations and deaths...there can be any amount of cases but its moot if the end result is largely a few days with a bit of a cough ...and will people still go for covid tests if they suspect they have it but they know passing it on is no biggy...obviously you will have to if you want to travel.

every day something is opened now is a good day moving forward as the theory is once they are open they will stay open...one negative is allowing hotels have indoor dining which of course they should but only allowing pubs and restaurants outdoor dining until july....if true its once again the irish government showing their lack of common sense..why in the name of christ is it ok to sit indoors in a hotel and drink and eat but not in a pub...hopefully they will face a backlash on that one...

travel within europe is now looking more and more likely with the green certificate and looks like dopey,sneaky and sleepy are making positive noises about that..the penny has dropped that we need an aviation industry.

still believe this was the biggest over-reaction in human history and people in the future will be wondering what we were all smoking but this is a positive day just to get moving forward now,no more dilly dallying

Galwayhurl wrote: »

a. online applications
    b. for renewals of
    c. biometric passports

Amazing service.

I was going to renew my passport as it expired earlier in the year, and you never know when you might need it even though I dont anticipate requiring it this year at least, but didn't bother as stupidly I believed what was written in this thread and never bothered to confirm it for myself. I wont make that mistake again

Probably recently in the past month or so started sending them out again, that would tally with their website, the posters who said they were closed and couldn't get a passport, and the poster who clearly received his this month.

Online applications only touch human hands when they're put in the envelope. Postal ones have to be checked for things like spelling mistakes and dob issues, there's a backlog, but it's all postal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

• Advertisement

I was going to renew my passport as it expired earlier in the year, and you never know when you might need it even though I dont anticipate requiring it this year at least, but didn't bother as stupidly I believed what was written in this thread and never bothered to confirm it for myself. I wont make that mistake again

Passport online, get the magic photo code and make sure everything is spelled correctly and you'll be golden.

Online applications only touch human hands when they're put in the envelope. Postal ones have to be checked for things like spelling mistakes and dob issues, there's a backlog, but it's all postal.

Makes sense - probably explains other posters issues which iirc related to first passports for children which would require more 'hands on' contact.

No thanks, I prefer to take a broader view of things than find one small scrap of evidence to suit my argument and brandish it around. But you enjoy your own little fantasy world graham if it helps you feel better

This must be awkward

551754.png

is_that_so wrote: »

Big whoop, undefined timelines naturally so the government can't break their umpteenth promise. Specific dates for June, July & August or take a hike MM.

Makes sense - probably explains other posters issues which iirc related to first passports for children which would require more 'hands on' contact.

Yeah, they seem to be implying the majority of issues are first time applicants from the UK, which obviously requires a lot more effort.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,123 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Allowing hotel restaurants to have indoor dining but not a standalone restaurant is not fair. I can see a climb down there

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭Stormyteacup

This must be awkward

551754.png

Okay so during the current restrictions 40,000 passports have been processed. The service resumed at some point in March after being paused on December 24th completely.

It’s a fact that passport renewals were paused completely for a period of time - this is not contrary to what you have posted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,999 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Gael23 wrote: »
    Allowing hotel restaurants to have indoor dining but not a standalone restaurant is not fair. I can see a climb down there

Ha! Yea more crazy non-science, we should be used to it by now from this Govt. It makes as much sense as the €9 meal rule to have a beer....and the 2hr time limit..

They clear the difference between food and non food pubs, then allow dining indoors if you stay at a hotel but not if you don't!! :eek: :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,142 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    Ha! Yea more crazy non-science, we should be used to it by now from this Govt. It makes as much sense as the €9 meal rule to have a beer....

They clear the difference between food and non food pubs, then allow dining indoors if you stay at a hotel but not if you don't!! :eek: :D

Maybe the idea is that if people can only eat in the hotel they're staying in, there will be less mixing between households?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,999 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Lumen wrote: »
    Maybe the idea is that if people can only eat in the hotel they're staying in, there will be less mixing between households?

Nah sure the Virus doesn't know the difference between hotel and non-hotel guests at a restaurant...

...more like a ploy to have people book a room at a hotel just so they can have dinner and drinks indoors....

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement