Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part X *Read OP For Mod Warnings*

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Neagra wrote: »
    let me prove my point
    what do you do for work?
    are you currently working from home?

Sorry to blow your theory out of the water.

While I can do a very small part of my work from home, I will be considerably better off when the restrictions are lifted and retail can re-open. As will my family and my extended family when hospitality reopens.

I have a vested interest in seeing the restriction end in the quickest, safest, most permanent manner.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 146 ✭✭Neagra

Graham wrote: »

While I can do a very small part of my work from home, I will be considerably better off when the restrictions are lifted and retail can re-open. As will my family and my extended family when hospitality reopens.

I have a vested interest in seeing the restriction end in the quickest, safest, most permanent manner.

thats great
    to finish this up whats your job?
    we get that and we are all done here .

thats great
    to finish this up whats your job?

None of your business.

its well known the queen was referring to bread. the cake bit was added to get the french all jacked up.
    my main point still stands:
    those in favour of lockdowns are because it suits them.
    you will find that the university educated backers of lockdowns are now working from home and are dreading this lockdown ending and the return to normality because they might have to return to the office.

i just wish we could all be honest on here.

Ye talk some horsesh*t. There is no on the one hand or the other when faced with this tripe. It not genuine debate, but the demonisation of an other as is the standard with most baseless populist nonsense. Find an enemy, demonise the enemy and make the conversation about them, because the base argument is vacuous.

• Registered Users Posts: 989 ✭✭✭Stormyteacup

Fair enough in that no one wants to reopen anything for it to down again shortly afterwards.

The problem lies in the ‘quickest, safest’ bit. Is it based on your own leanings as to what’s quickest and safest, or wholly according to what government will sanction?

Isn’t it your position that more movement equals greater spread of Covid? Why will there be more movement sanctioned by government on 5th April, what will make it safer, and not add to the spread of Covid then?

• Advertisement

None of your business.

and there you go
    you have proven my point
    thanks

and there you go
    you have proven my point
    thanks

What’s your job?

Ye talk some horsesh*t. There is no on the one hand or the other when faced with this tripe. It not genuine debate, but the demonisation of an other as is the standard with most baseless populist nonsense. Find an enemy, demonise the enemy and make the conversation about them, because the base argument is vacuous.

thanks
    raind its better to have this out in the open.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,771 ✭✭✭hynesie08

and there you go
    you have proven my point
    thanks

What do you do when you're not being a dick to retail staff?

What’s your job?

read my previous posts - i say what i am

also i dont work from home , not a day since this has started
    and i have not been affected financially in the last year and wont be.

• Advertisement

hynesie08 wrote: »
    What do you do when you're not being a dick to retail staff?

read my previous posts.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,987 ✭✭✭normanoffside

George Lee is still blaming pubs an restaurants for increasing numbers

https://twitter.com/idahocafe/status/1375516825954385921

• Registered Users Posts: 8,378 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

I hope this stuff isn’t forgotten.

Talk about kicking people when they are down.

These business people have lost their livelihoods and this lad is claiming they have blood on their hands transmitting cases when they are closed for months

RTE for the truth eh

• Registered Users Posts: 6,301 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

Maybe he is talking about the cafes in the Primary Health Care facilities that are open and trading with indoor dining available to all.

Fair enough in that no one wants to reopen anything for it to down again shortly afterwards.

The problem lies in the ‘quickest, safest’ bit. Is it based on your own leanings as to what’s quickest and safest, or wholly according to what government will sanction?

Isn’t it your position that more movement equals greater spread of Covid? Why will there be more movement sanctioned by government on 5th April, what will make it safer, and not add to the spread of Covid then?

More movement will inevitably result in more spread. I'd rather see a very short very strictly enforced period of restrictions but I doubt that will happen. Instead we will see prolonged but loosely enforced restrictions for longer.

In the absence of reduced/reducing case numbers, plan 'B' is the vaccination program rolls out faster than cases/hospitalisations increase.

I think the cost is going to be much of the summer and lots of businesses.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,987 ✭✭✭normanoffside

Maybe he is talking about the cafes in the Primary Health Care facilities that are open and trading with indoor dining available to all.

Do they have pubs too?

read my previous posts - i say what i am

also i dont work from home , not a day since this has started
    and i have not been affected financially in the last year and wont be.

So a tax accountant and company director can’t work from home?

I am a engineer who can do part of my job from home but am lucky enough to work in an essential industry. I did have a 3 month salary cut and my wife has been out of work since the start of the pandemic as she contracts. She did have something lined up for January but it fell through because of the new lockdown. 2 kids and mortgage and what is an above average salary, but not by much means we are getting by, but barely and will be far better off when things return to normal.
    So I guess your story and my story contradict your theory.

All I have said, I have shared previously on the forum, because I know the next accusation will be that I am making it up. Would you like to know what I had for breakfast?

More movement will inevitably result in more spread. I'd rather see a very short very strictly enforced period of restrictions but I doubt that will happen. Instead we will see prolonged but loosely enforced restrictions for longer.

In the absence of reduced/reducing case numbers, plan 'B' is the vaccination program rolls out faster than cases/hospitalisations increase.

We can agree on this.

Of course we won’t agree if it’s acceptable collateral damage due to an incredibly cautious reopening.

Realistically, with the current vaccination level, what happens if we reopen various non essential retail with social distancing measures right now?

There seem’s to be an acceptance, that if the economy and many businesses fails, if buying a home is out of reach for many families, if we watch our next generation head for countries who did not hit the economy as hard, so be it, at least we tried to lower case numbers (while we had our vulnerable and HCWs vaccinated)

We can agree on this.

Of course we won’t agree if it’s acceptable collateral damage due to an incredibly cautious reopening.

Realistically, with the current vaccination level, what happens if we reopen various non essential retail with social distancing measures right now?

There seem’s to be an acceptance, that if the economy and many businesses fails, if buying a home is out of reach for many families, if we watch our next generation head for countries who did not hit the economy as hard, so be it, at least we tried to lower case numbers (while we had our vulnerable and HCWs vaccinated)

My view is that there is no reason click and collect and non essential retail in general should not be allowed, with enforced number restrictions. I think in a months time, outdoor hospitality at a minimum will be a viable option

My view is that there is no reason click and collect and non essential retail in general should not be allowed, with enforced number restrictions. I think in a months time, outdoor hospitality at a minimum will be a viable option

So another month for those services you believe?

That’s about the timeline the rest of the EU followed last year with no vaccine

• Advertisement

We can agree on this.

A non-cautious reopening is likely to result in more collateral damage if it is rapidly reversed. It's certainly not a way to avoid it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,301 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

I would agree, but I don't see it happening.

Mind you, I don't understand why a pub can't operate by offering an antigen test and limited capacity either...but we are months and months away from hospitality opening in any way shape or form...or so I'm told.

A non-cautious reopening is likely to result in more collateral damage if it is rapidly reversed.

Surely you can quantify that?

What collateral damage

Please don’t say look at what happened at Christmas

Remembering many vulnerable and HCWs are vaccinated

This week kidney recipients as young as early 30’s got their first dose.

I'd like to see click & collect reopen, non-essential retail a couple of weeks later

Full disclosure, I'd benefit from the reopening of non-essential retail.

Surely you can quantify that?

What collateral damage

Exactly the same collateral damage that you think will happen if we don't start reopening things now.

Increased borrowing, more business closures, loss of jobs, reduced/limited healthcare etc. etc. etc.

The only part we appear to significantly disagree on is the solution.

I would agree, but I don't see it happening.

Mind you, I don't understand why a pub can't operate by offering an antigen test and limited capacity either...but we are months and months away from hospitality opening in any way shape or form...or so I'm told.

I have shared the view previously that a pub adhering to the same numbers as restaurants is no different.

• Registered Users Posts: 989 ✭✭✭Stormyteacup

The ship has sailed on short, strictly enforced lockdowns. There is an argument to be made that a few sharp lockdowns would have had the same or better results as we have now (not closing borders, we could never have closed them fully enough for Zero-Covid). But it’s far too late for it now.

We have no other option but prolonged restrictions with slight easing until enough vaccinations, unless hospital numbers continue to fall despite rising cases - then there’s no plausible excuse for caution exhibited so far.

On 5th April we will not be on target with the vaccination plan that was in place when that date was announced, so the easing of the 5km restriction will not be data-driven. It’s encouraging that government are being forced to consider carefully, as NPHETs advice and the majority view on some restrictions are starting to diverge.

I'd like to see click & collect reopen, non-essential retail a couple of weeks later

Full disclosure, I'd benefit from the reopening of non-essential retail.

Full disclosure, I’d benefit from a couple of pints in the village

Full disclosure, I’d benefit from a couple of pints in the village

Would you accept it as reasonable compromise if you never got them in the village?

• Advertisement

Would you accept it as reasonable compromise if you never got them in the village?

Well anywhere, but it’s only 1k away

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement