Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part X *Read OP For Mod Warnings*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,379 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

Penfailed wrote: »
    A former TD wasn't contradicted about pubs and restaurants being the problem even though they haven't been open for ages and you (rightly) don't believe him. A TD made a different claim and wasn't contradicted...but you do believe him.

Another excellent point

Restaurants and pubs are open and to blame for rising cases

...and yet restrictions in the north are broadly the same as here.

No

• Registered Users Posts: 7,571 ✭✭✭Penfailed

But that’s not the message I’m hearing

It’s going to be just as cautious as last year

That’s not a good Summer
    This is nearly over

Which is it?

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

Another excellent point

Restaurants and pubs are open and to blame for rising cases

Eh?

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

No

They are though. They have a fully open construction industry and no 5km restriction but are otherwise on a par with us.

• Advertisement

Which is it?

There is a difference between the virus becoming a minor threat to vulnerable and restrictions ending

The virus didn’t cause restrictions, the response to the virus did

Thus the restrictions won’t end (or it doesn’t sound like they will) when the threat of the virus ends

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 146 ✭✭Neagra

reasons you may not want covid lockdowns stopping

- your working remotely from home avoiding the long commute and cutting child care costs
    - your being paid the pup at a rate higher then you were being paid to work
    - people on wage subsidies that fear pay cuts when subsidies end
    - having the best excuse ever to avoid taking care of your responsibilities
    - the fear of the unknown, when we open what businesses will collapse, what taxes will increase, will rents go up, will interest rates go up, will there be job losses,

i acknowledge these reasons are valid.
    and i wish we could debate these here honestly. and stop with the hysteria and the lies and the nonsense.
    if you look at the numbers across america and europe this is done.
    now lets debate the scary part - what country we end with up post covid.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭TonyMaloney

Neagra wrote: »

- your working remotely from home avoiding the long commute and cutting child care costs
    - the fear of the unknown, when we open what businesses will collapse, what taxes will increase, will rents go up, will interest rates go up, will there be job losses,

i acknowledge these reasons are valid.
    and i wish we could debate these here honestly. and stop with the hysteria and the lies and the nonsense.
    if you look at the numbers across america and europe this is done.
    now lets debate the scary part - what country we end with up post covid.

What's your situation?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

- the fear of the unknown, when we open what businesses will collapse, what taxes will increase, will rents go up, will interest rates go up, will there be job losses

and of course the most obvious reason of all:

- you understand why restrictions are necessary to get the pandemic under control.

What's your situation?

i am very fortunate
    - i am based in the office, no childcare costs as my wife is a housewife
    - i have never been on wage subsidies or pup
    - i wont be affected financially by this virus

that sounds extremely arrogant but i want to be honest.

but i can admit if i am working in dublin but living in kildare and currently i am working at home and i have stopped the child care as i am minding them and working remotely.
    its a no brainer, that person is better off financially and mentally working from home. its not even open for argument.

• Advertisement

Graham wrote: »

- you understand why restrictions are necessary to get the pandemic under control.

sure, roll eyes.

i am very fortunate

but i can admit if i am working in dublin but living in kildare and currently i am working at home and i have stopped the child care as i am minding them and working remotely.
    its a no brainer, that person is better off financially and mentally working from home. its not even open for argument.

Working from home and taking care of kids at home is not good for your mental health long term. You are always conscious that one of either your kids or your job is not going to be getting the attention it needs.

sure, roll eyes.

You want people to engage with your points but just shout hysteria and rolls eyes at others points. If you only engage in debate on your terms you will always believe you are winning the debate, regardless of the facts

Working from home and taking care of kids at home is not good for your mental health long term. You are always conscious that one of either your kids or your job is not going to be getting the attention it needs.

i agree that could be the case.
    my great respect for my wife being a house wife and because of that she has full control of our finances. thats only fair.

but when you sit down and coldly do the numbers, working remotely is a big advantage financially for people with long commutes.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

sure, roll eyes.

Oddly, my explanation sounds a lot more likely than many of yours.

i agree that could be the case.
    my great respect for my wife being a house wife and because of that she has full control of our finances. thats only fair.

but when you sit down and coldly do the numbers, working remotely is a big advantage financially for people with long commutes.

Where they are lucky enough that only one member of the household needs to work to support the family, allowing the other to manage the house. That is not the case for a large portion of working families however

• Registered Users Posts: 40,007 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

How many days have you worked remotely for in the past 12 months and how much do you think you have saved?

You want people to engage with your points but just shout hysteria and rolls eyes at others points. If you only engage in debate on your terms you will always believe you are winning the debate, regardless of the facts

this virus is finished when we are vaccinated.
    thats by end of summer.
    so can we stop with the hysteria and discuss the reality and facts of post covid.

i am very fortunate

So therefore if you didn't have to commute, you'd be pro restrictions.

It is as simple as that according to you. The only thing that would be required for an entire rewiring of your brain would be for your boss to ring you and say you're wfh from Monday.

So therefore if you didn't have to commute, you'd be pro restrictions.

It is as simple as that according to you. The only thing that would be required for an entire rewiring of your brain would be for your boss to ring you and say you're wfh from Monday.

sorry i will be more clear.
    i cant work from home - not economically viable. also i would not choose to either.
    even the first lockdown we went to the offices, with a closed door policy.

i will always be anti restrictions, i honestly believe 2022 will be the start of a very long recovery and rural ireland where i live will be further decimated.
    the poorer will become poorer, the better off will become even more so.

• Advertisement

sorry i will be more clear.
    i cant work from home - not economically viable. also i would not choose to either.
    even the first lockdown we went to the offices, with a closed door policy.

i will always be anti restrictions, i honestly believe 2022 will be the start of a very long recovery and rural ireland where i live will be further decimated.
    the poorer will become poorer, the better off will become even more so.

Well you say that you will always be anti restrictions, but that's only because you work in an office.
    If you worked from home like us, you'd have been pro restrictions.

You can't help it. Once you start saving a bit of money you automatically become in favour of locking up everyone you know for as long as possible.

Well you say that you will always be anti restrictions, but that's only because you work in an office.
    If you worked from home like us, you'd have been pro restrictions.

You can't help it. Once you start saving a bit of money you automatically become in favour of locking up everyone you know for as long as possible.

i disagree , we all act in our own interests, even sub consciously.
    its not that people who are now working at home want to lock everyone up, its just that if they were guaranteed the legal right to continue to do so they would be very happy to open up.

We have the option to wfh after the pandemic. Everything has changed.

I'm still pro not letting people needlessly die while we have vaccines to prevent it, but I guess that I'm set in my ways from the initial spell of working from home.

We have the option to wfh after the pandemic. Everything has changed.

I'm still pro not letting people needlessly die while we have vaccines to prevent it, but I guess that I'm set in my ways from the initial spell of working from home.

you have the legal right to request to work from home permanently.
    your employer if you read your current contract has the legal right to deny this.

obviously if your public sector theres different rules. buts thats always been the case.

you have the legal right to request to work from home permanently.
    your employer if you read your current contract has the legal right to deny this.

obviously if your public sector theres different rules. buts thats always been the case.

No, I'm saying that my employer has said we can continue to wfh after the pandemic. Or go into the office. Or mix it up a bit.

It hasn't shifted my views on what we should do. How do you explain that?

Graham wrote: »

In saying that, I don't know anyone, no matter what their circumstances are, that doesn't want lockdowns to stop.

No, I'm saying that my employer has said we can continue to wfh after the pandemic. Or go into the office. Or mix it up a bit.

It hasn't shifted my views on what we should do. How do you explain that?

i know an it provider said the same thing last september to his employees.
    just before xmas he gave ten of them the bullet.

all that matters is what is in your contract. if your not in the office then if there are job losses your the first to go. same regards promotions.
    there is alot of pressure on the government to put in place long term iron clad rights for employees that are currently working from home and even more rights for tenants.
    Why? they know whats coming. they wont speak about it publicly though.
    when this is all said and done , and the pup finishes and wages subsidies end and the ban on tenant evictions is stopped.
    there will be carnage.
    then we will see a real housing crisis, then we will see huge cuts to already dreadful public services, then we will see job losses and pay cuts, then we will see real social unrest, then we will see crime levels go through the roof.
    then we will see as our eyes will be open.

and nobody can say they were not told.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,007 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

then we will see job losses and pay cuts, then we will see real social unrest, then we will see crime levels go through the roof.
    then we will see as our eyes will be open.

:rolleyes:

It's Saturday, log off go for a walk.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,908 ✭✭✭The Big Easy

Boggles wrote: »

It's Saturday, log off go for a walk.

He can't, it's too dangerous out there with all the construction work that's going on!

And maybe he's already had his essential exercise for today.

• Advertisement

He can't, it's too dangerous out there with all the construction work that's going on!

And maybe he's already had his essential exercise for today.

I must have missed this rule that only permits you to leave the house once a day for exercise?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement