Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part X *Read OP For Mod Warnings*

Options

Comments

corcaigh07 wrote: »
    Just go. Today. You won't be hurting anybody.

Lovely stroll on the beach this morning, 20km away from my abode. Garda presence is minimal, took a few back roads just in case. And I'll do it again, find that arbitrary boundaries are easily negated. #livingonmyterms

• Registered Users Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭RobitTV

It's all rather pointless extending the 5km limit to 10km or a little more. County travel should be allowed at this stage. Considering we are entering April and have been in Level 5 since Christmas.

As if 10km is going to give the public a boost and make them follow all the rules once again.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

Lovely stroll on the beach this morning, 20km away from my abode. Garda presence is minimal, took a few back roads just in case. And I'll do it again, find that arbitrary boundaries are easily negated. #livingonmyterms

Any checkpoints around my location are static and fairly easy to avoid.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,999 ✭✭✭DellyBelly

I'm really surprised at the amount of people who are giving the 2 fingers to the restrictions. To me its the reason we are still in the mess we are.. Very disappointing

DellyBelly wrote: »
    I'm really surprised at the amount of people who are giving the 2 fingers to the restrictions. To me its the reason we are still in the mess we are.. Very disappointing

Go to the beach. It's only 8km away from you as you have been saying. It's highly unlikely you will be stopped in a more rural area. Go and get some sea air.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Surly if they're concerned about a 4th wave, the right thing would be to go to level 6?

Surly if they're concerned about a 4th wave, the right thing would be to go to level 6?

Don't encourage them any further :D

I've endured enough over the past year like many others, out of work a good chunk of it as a direct consequence of lockdown. The odd walk on the beach does wonders for my mental health, I won't apologise to you or anybody else for prioritising my sanity.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭LessOutragePlz

Yeah because everyone that dares to go outside their 5km to enjoy nature are spreading the virus. :rolleyes:

Get a grip FFS it's complete nonsense to suggest that people going for a stroll on their own outdoors is contributing in anyway to the spread of the virus.

I don't get it. You have no problem going into Dublin Centre on the same day as one of the protests yet you won't go to a beach.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

RobitTV wrote: »
    Don't encourage them any further :D

But within their own thought process and frame of reference, how can they justify extending the 5km and opening sports for kids if there is a 4th wave coming?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

I disagree with your assessment. I dont think non-compliance is the reason and if it is indeed then it is not disappointing in the sense that I expected more from the people but disappointing in that our government didnt really think they could impose a 4 months lockdown and there would be no wavering? As it is government can call themselves lucky that we are a rather compliant and docile population. There are countries where there would be cars burning every night over less.

Btw. Whats the story with the poll in this thread? Are we ever going to see some results?

One minute we are told it's a great thing to get out for a walk and protect your mental health. The beach is the best walk available and being able to have this access to the sea is handy for some people.

The next minute: 'So sick of people breaking the rules, it's all your fault and etc etc.....'

12 months later and the blame game continues on for another season. Really tedious behaviour.

But within their own thought process and frame of reference, how can they justify extending the 5km and opening sports for kids if there is a 4th wave coming?

The goalpost is a wonderful thing ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,874 ✭✭✭acequion

Why are you surprised? It's not one bit surprising. People have had enough, it would be a lot more surprising if they hadn't. You cannot strait jacket human nature to such an extent indefinitely. The need for contact, companionship, stimulation are as intrinsic to human nature as our more basic needs. Also, young healthy people are not living every second in mortal fear of this virus and it's heartening to see that the desire to live trumps the fear. Despite the very best efforts of the largely successful fear propaganda machine.

The clowns who are in charge of getting us out of this mess need to wake up to the fact that they have lost the public. At this point we need county wide travel, non essential retail, hairdressers, barbers and outdoor leisure pursuits. And that's at the very minimum. In addition to a roadmap back to a more normal, sustainable life.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,999 ✭✭✭DellyBelly

JeffKenna wrote: »
    I don't get it. You have no problem going into Dublin Centre on the same day as one of the protests yet you won't go to a beach.

I'm in Dublin 8 and that's less than 5km from the city centre. The beach is further than that and I'm following the restrictions so can't get to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Windmill100000

I'm not surprised as people are fed up. But we all know if cases don't drop we will stay at this level. It will be the ones on here that are telling people to break restrictions, and/or are actively doing it themselves, that will be the most annoyed and vocal when we remain in lockdown.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

t will be the ones on here that are telling people to break restrictions, and/or are actively doing it themselves, that will be the most annoyed and vocal when we remain in lockdown.

Will or are?

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Natterjack from Kerry

Yeah because everyone that dares to go outside their 5km to enjoy nature are spreading the virus. :rolleyes:

Get a grip FFS it's complete nonsense to suggest that people going for a stroll on their own outdoors is contributing in anyway to the spread of the virus.

Can you cite examples where people are claiming that going for a stroll on their own outdoors is contributing in anyway to the spread of the virus ?

I'm in Dublin 8 and that's less than 5km from the city centre. The beach is further than that and I'm following the restrictions so can't get to it.

Yeah but it's a lot more dangerous to be around the city centre during a protest than it is to be walking by yourself on a beach. It's raining here so I doubt they'd be anyone there. There's no science to back up the 5k, it's an arbitrary figure pulled from nowhere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Locotastic

It will be the ones on here that are telling people to break restrictions, and/or are actively doing it themselves, that will be the most annoyed and vocal when we remain in lockdown.

No they won't because they aren't in lockdown now as such, people deciding for themselves what is an acceptable risk and acting accordingly.

More people coming to the realisation each day that realistically we are able to go and do what we like and we'll be mainly unrestricted.

Folk sweating about if they are 'allowed' to go 6km from home will become a minority.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,011 ✭✭✭Rosita

RobitTV wrote: »
    One minute we are told it's a great thing to get out for a walk and protect your mental health. The beach is the best walk available and being able to have this access to the sea is handy for some people.

The next minute: 'So sick of people breaking the rules, it's all your fault and etc etc.....'

12 months later and the blame game continues on for another season. Really tedious behaviour.

People could creatively walk a huge amount without breaching the 5k limit. Plenty of people around the country live long distances from the sea without their mental health being an issue.

It's the sense of entitlement of some who think that they're above the law that is odd.

Can you cite examples where people are claiming that going for a stroll on their own outdoors is contributing in anyway to the spread of the virus ?

A poster said this:

Another poster responded the above with this:

Therefore that poster is implying that by ignoring the restrictions and going beyond their 5km for a stroll on the beach is keeping us in this mess so it's fairly safe to assume that believe that they must be contributing to the spread of the virus. How else could they possibly be "keeping us in this mess" as increasing or stagnating case numbers are the reasons being pushed for more restrictions not being eased.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Therefore that poster is implying that by ignoring the restrictions and going beyond their 5km for a stroll on the beach is keeping us in this mess

Probably fair to say that's your inference rather than anything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭User1998

Your deluded. You think people travelling to a beach outside their 5km is causing the mess that we are in. But travelling to a beach outside their 5km after April 5th when the government say its okay to do so is somehow safer and not adding to the problem? Even though cases are going to be higher by that time?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,857 ✭✭✭growleaves

I'm not surprised as people are fed up. But we all know if cases don't drop we will stay at this level. It will be the ones on here that are telling people to break restrictions, and/or are actively doing it themselves, that will be the most annoyed and vocal when we remain in lockdown.

I don't believe that they are really controlling the case numbers with trade and movement restrictions. Forcing people together in their homes most of the time may increase infections, which is what some scientists believe. Who knows.

The excuses for the restrictions are ridiculously thin and now there will be a new terror campaign with television ads showing small interactions leading to people not being able to breathe.

I haven't been stopped by a foot patrol since May 2020. I am only waiting on the sunshine to come out and the wind to die down and then I will be living fully until early October, when hibernation begins again.

You'll still be giving out the same old bullsh*t about hospitals on the verge of collapse, can't be expanded, new variants etc, etc. going into next winter.

I have a question about cases: Dr Jay Bhattacharya of Stanford University was interviewed recently and

"What happens is, after you've been infected your body attacks the virus with its immune system and ... if it's successful the virus may still be there in fragmented form, the PCR picks up the virus fragments, but those virus fragments are not infectious virus fragments."

And he also said that in California there are labs that are using up to 40 cycles when they test for covid. He said it was a terrible way to decide on public policy because "essentially it creates panic because you have mix now of people who truly are infectious and that pose some epidemiological danger and a lot of other people who are not infectious, pose no danger, and yet drives panic among the population at large, and which then turns into disastrous decisions about closing schools, closing businesses, closing churches ..."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VIJzw7gotB8

In the light of what Dr Bhattacharya said why does it seem to be the case that Professor Philip Nolan is terrified whenever there is any increase, however slight it may be, in case numbers? Why are we never told whether people are actually infectious and pose epidemiological danger?

Sorry if this isn't the right forum for such a question.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,636 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

Graham wrote: »

It says a lot that you're defending the stance of an obvious troll who is constantly trying to get a reaction on here.

Rosita wrote: »
    People could creatively walk a huge amount without breaching the 5k limit. Plenty of people around the country live long distances from the sea without their mental health being an issue.

It's the sense of entitlement of some who think that they're above the law that is odd.

Some people live in areas where they can only walk around the same streets every single passing day.

Imagine living in Dublin City Centre, where you can only walk around the empty city centre each day with no scenery. You wouldn't bother most days.

There is no sense of entitlement as you suggested. Going for a walk along a beach is hardly a risky situation. Let people decide for themselves and extend the 5km non-essential travel limit to county limits.

• Advertisement

Graham wrote: »

Inference or not it's still a logical one to make.

What do you think they meant by saying "still in this mess" and how else would will still be in this mess without increasing or stagnating cases of the virus?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement