Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part X *Read OP For Mod Warnings*

Options

Comments

Parachutes wrote: »
    I wear a mask in my bed at night just in case covid creeps in the window and strikes me in my sleep.

In The Philippines there is a push for mask-wearing at home: https://www.philstar.com/headlines/2021/03/15/2084462/doh-makes-new-push-wearing-face-masks-home

"The health department on Monday pushed anew for the wearing of face masks at home as part of efforts to curb the rising number of coronavirus cases in the country.".

• Registered Users Posts: 28,845 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Rosita wrote: »
    What constitutes risk is a separate matter. I am talking about breaking restrictions. Not clear why some people feel entitled to breach restrictions.

When restrictions are contradictory and don't make sense, and cause more harm than good at this point, people will question them and ultimately decide for themselves.

Laws and restrictions must be fair and proportionate to the issue they propose to address. That's one of the pluses of living in a democracy. These current restrictions are neither fair nor proportionate.

What worries me more is the effect this "crisis" has had on communities - we've always been a nation of begrudgers and don't like anything/anyone that stands out as "different", but the Covid response has ramped this up to ridiculous levels.

It's that latter problem that is more serious for this country and which will take far longer to resolve than any threat from CV-19.

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    When restrictions are contradictory and don't make sense, and cause more harm than good at this point, people will question them and ultimately decide for themselves.

Laws and restrictions must be fair and proportionate to the issue they propose to address. That's one of the pluses of living in a democracy. These current restrictions are neither fair nor proportionate.

What worries me more is the effect this "crisis" has had on communities - we've always been a nation of begrudgers and don't like anything/anyone that stands out as "different", but the Covid response has ramped this up to ridiculous levels.

It's that latter problem that is more serious for this country and which will take far longer to resolve than any threat from CV-19.

What I think concerns a lot of people is the possibility that level 1 is the 'degree of normality' Glynn has mentioned on a number of occasions. That level still has heavy restrictions, including mask-wearing and social distancing. The media seem to be starting to push the idea of level 1 being 'normal life' There was an article in the Irish Mirror the other day comparing level 1 with life in Australia and New Zealand. I have friends who live in Australia who tell me that there are zero domestic restrictions (Victoria is a bit behind the other states, but it scrapped masks in shops the other day and so it appears to be the case that the intention is to scrap them altogether, by which I mean on public transport and in taxis). But we have no idea whether there's an intention to scrap mandatory mask wearing in Ireland. There's no level 0 in that 'living with covid plan', and in our nearest neighbour Dr Mary Ramsay of PHE is of the opinion that mask wearing and social distancing are low level measures that people have got used to. I can't see NPHET not being influenced by what happens next door.

When will Professor Nolan no longer be extremely concerned about case numbers? When will Dr Glynn ever move beyond 'a degree of normality'? The answer is that we have no idea.

There are detailed protocols around reporting of positive cases here. Anyone who has been confirmed positive in the proceeding 12 weeks are reported as a positive test in the swab data but are never included as a new confirmed case. CT of over 35 is not reported as positIve case for someone with no symptoms without a repeat test and only if there is also an epidemiological link and they have not previously tested positive.

Thank you.

Based on what Dr Bhattacharya said, do you think Professor Nolan is right to be constantly concerned about any and every slight rise is case numbers?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

In The Philippines there is a push for mask-wearing at home: https://www.philstar.com/headlines/2021/03/15/2084462/doh-makes-new-push-wearing-face-masks-home

"The health department on Monday pushed anew for the wearing of face masks at home as part of efforts to curb the rising number of coronavirus cases in the country.".
    wouldnt use country that has seen larger spike of suicides due to failed pandemic response that caused more harm then CV19 ever would.

https://www.rappler.com/nation/suicide-rises-philippines-pandemic-drags-on-2021

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Locotastic

What I think concerns a lot of people is the possibility that level 1 is the 'degree of normality' Glynn has mentioned on a number of occasions. That level still has heavy restrictions, including mask-wearing and social distancing. The media seem to be starting to push the idea of level 1 being 'normal life' There was an article in the Irish Mirror the other day comparing level 1 with life in Australia and New Zealand. I have friends who live in Australia who tell me that there are zero domestic restrictions (Victoria is a bit behind the other states, but it scrapped masks in shops the other day and so it appears to be the case that the intention is to scrap them altogether, by which I mean on public transport and in taxis). But we have no idea whether there's an intention to scrap mandatory mask wearing in Ireland. There's no level 0 in that 'living with covid plan', and in our nearest neighbour Dr Mary Ramsay of PHE is of the opinion that mask wearing and social distancing are low level measures that people have got used to. I can't see NPHET not being influenced by what happens next door.

When will Professor Nolan no longer be extremely concerned about case numbers? When will Dr Glynn ever move beyond 'a degree of normality'? The answer is that we have no idea.

It's a lot harder to reduce restrictions than it is to introduce them. I have found myself wondering the same, when will masks no longer have to worn by secondary students or in shops?

We gave up a lot in the blink of an eye. It will be much more difficult to regain our 'normal lives' than it was for it to be taken away.

I think normal will only return iwhen enough people stop heeding the nonsense restrictions and rules and say enough is enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,011 ✭✭✭Rosita

SnuggyBear wrote: »
    Ye I do feel entitled to walk on the beach on my own. Don't care what you think.

I don't get the "don't care what you think" comment
    Why personalise it? Not about me.

It was a generalised comment that some people seem to feel they are above the law that relates to others and it's not clear why.

On a personal level I could give a fiddler's what you think you're entitled to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

People simply won't accept social distancing long term. Social and sexual urges can only be contained for so long, the dam has to break eventually and when it does, it'll involve clusters of people breaking the rules and having house parties and dates, and soon other groups will see them doing this and follow suit.

The lucky few who are introverted enough to be able to survive without physical interaction with other humans are completely delusional if they believe that people will maintain social distancing indefinitely. It goes against the latter two of the three most fundamental instincts human have, to eat, to f*ck and to congregate with other humans.

Asking people to eradicate these instincts is like asking people to stop breathing, or asking a kid not to scratch an itch when they have the chicken pox, or asking someone to hold it in when they need to go to the jacks. Sure, people can do it. But there is a finite amount of time for which people actually have free will over these things. Once that time elapses, base instincts will take over and people will - albeit with varying degrees of guilt - congregate and shift. There's simply no way they won't. To do so would be in defiance of four billions years of evolution.

Well I certainly won't be wearing masks for the rest of my life and treating everyone I come into contact as a potential bringer of death :rolleyes: or whatever.

If some people want to continue to wear masks or hide away that's perfectly fine, but normal means normal - ie: pre- Feb 2020. None of this "new normal" nonsense.

I don't even wear masks as it is unless absolutely unavoidable (I go with one of those plastic shield things when doing the shopping. Still ridiculous but I'll put up with it - for now!). As I've said before, I live alone, WFH and had a Covid test there in January as part of a hospital procedure and unsurprisingly no issue.

"But what about Granny" I hear some say.. well Granny will need to be careful and look after herself if she's vulnerable - just as she did in the pre-hysteria days. We can't keep putting the lives of millions on hold, the economy on life-support, and ignore the mounting problems and debt caused by both, just to protect a small few from something that only MIGHT have a fatal impact on them.

That's not to say that these people don't matter, or that their deaths aren't sad and unfortunate. Of course they do/are, but a country isn't a lab or theoretical model.. it's a living breathing entity that in a democracy can only be run on the basis that ultimately the needs of the many outweigh those of the few. Those few can and should be supported absolutely, but not at the massive costs its had so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,379 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

ypres5 wrote: »
    How is someone going to catch covid walking on a windy beach?

Most covid variants can’t be caught on the beach, but the Irish one can.

I see bars and restaurants are open in South Africa, despite the South African variant being used as a justification for increased lockdown in case of numbers rising in Ireland.

Last weekend the Irish media were like rats on a dead dog talking about France going back into severe lockdown.

Didn’t happen of course, France imposed regional measures in densely populated regions that still allows people to move 10km from their homes and meet up!!

Imagine, the severe lockdown the Irish media were highlighting last weekend isn’t as suppressive as what the Irish have had to tolerate for months now.

https://www.euronews.com/2021/03/25/covid-19-in-europe-france-extends-partial-lockdowns-to-more-parts-of-country-as-cases-surg
    The French can leave their homes for unlimited periods within a 10-kilometre radius. But people can only meet in groups of up to six, and travel between regions is banned unless for urgent reasons. Most shops are closed but there are exemptions, and schools remain open.

The measures are more flexible and less restrictive than a year ago, when the first lockdown was imposed on the country as the new disease took hold.
    The government has again backed off ordering a tough lockdown, despite an increasingly alarming situation in hospitals with a rise in the number of COVID-19 patients.

Véran defended the decision, questioning whether a full lockdown would be accepted by French people who were "exhausted by fighting tirelessly for a year". But he did not rule out stricter measures if the situation continued to deteriorate.

It’s important we realise we are a global outlier, because when Covid eventually stops making the headlines, Ireland will have by far the greatest economic and social catastrophe to deal with.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,011 ✭✭✭Rosita

But that doesn't entitle you do so. It's like saying that sone people have less money and opportunities than others, and don't believe in rules, therefore they will sell drugs and rob shops. Some will but it doesn't entitle them to do it.

Locotastic wrote: »
    It's a lot harder to reduce restrictions than it is to introduce them. I have found myself wondering the same, when will masks no longer have to worn by secondary students or in shops?

We gave up a lot in the blink of an eye. It will be much more difficult to regain our 'normal lives' than it was for it to be taken away.

I think normal will only return iwhen enough people stop heeding the nonsense restrictions and rules and say enough is enough.

Absolutely. Look at what's going on the UK where the Coronavirus Act has been extended for another six months and where Matt Hancock is saying that he can't guarantee that it won't be extended again (and possibly again and possibly again). And Johnson said the other day that he reckons test kits will be a feature of school life for years to come: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q0gAETIoomY

The British people were told again and again that the vaccine was the ticket back to normal life. They weren't told it was 'vaccine + invasive tests + vaccine passport + (if Dr Mary Ramsay of PHE gets her way) masks and social distancing for years to come'.

But that doesn't entitle you do so. It's like saying that sone people have less money and opportunities than others, and don't believe in rules, therefore they will sell drugs and rob shops. Some will but it doesn't entitle them to do it.

I guess it depends on one's personal values and perspective. Going slightly O/T for this one..

I've never been in trouble with the law in my life and can count on one hand the number of times I've interacted with a Garda in the last decade, and I pay my taxes, work hard and generally try to do the right thing.

But I also know that I live in a country of corruption, waste, and incompetence at all levels of Government and State, and that we've had an increasingly weak procession of Governments in recent times as a result of the egos of the men at the top (Enda, Leo and now Micheal) whose only goal was to get/stay in that top job. It's going on long before them of course but this has an effect on everything in my life - housing, medical costs and access, insurance, my rights as a single father, and so on. I am not blind to these things just because they are how they are.

Also I was raised to analyse and evaluate a situation based on my knowledge, experience and values. I don't do social media like Twitter or Facebook so whatever is trending or seen as the "accepted norm" on there means very little to me (but does to people like Leo which is also a big part of the problem).

As such I will absolutely recognise and call out when I don't think something makes sense or is wrong. I may myself be wrong, but in a democracy a constructive debate is a healthy thing. It's a dangerous road to think we should accept rules or restrictions blindly because some TD (who is generally no more qualified than you or I) says so, or because a group of HSE officials are trying to cover their asses from the fact that they've done nothing to address the problems with our health service in decades.

Ultimately though, the aforementioned needs of society and the economy will dictate when restrictions end, not Micheal Martin or NPHET.

Well I certainly won't be wearing masks for the rest of my life and treating everyone I come into contact as a potential bringer of death :rolleyes: or whatever.

If some people want to continue to wear masks or hide away that's perfectly fine, but normal means normal - ie: pre- Feb 2020. None of this "new normal" nonsense.

I don't even wear masks as it is unless absolutely unavoidable (I go with one of those plastic shield things when doing the shopping. Still ridiculous but I'll put up with it - for now!). As I've said before, I live alone, WFH and had a Covid test there in January as part of a hospital procedure and unsurprisingly no issue.

"But what about Granny" I hear some say.. well Granny will need to be careful and look after herself if she's vulnerable - just as she did in the pre-hysteria days. We can't keep putting the lives of millions on hold, the economy on life-support, and ignore the mounting problems and debt caused by both, just to protect a small few from something that only MIGHT have a fatal impact on them.

That's not to say that these people don't matter, or that their deaths aren't sad and unfortunate. Of course they do/are, but a country isn't a lab or theoretical model.. it's a living breathing entity that in a democracy can only be run on the basis that ultimately the needs of the many outweigh those of the few. Those few can and should be supported absolutely, but not at the massive costs its had so far.

A lot of people feel the same, but if the 'mask required' signs are everywhere then it'll be very hard to go about your life mask free.

That's what I understand normal to mean, i.e. February 2020, but this 'new normal' is being pushed a lot. That 'degree of normality' Glynn mentions is level 1, in my opinion. That's not normal life. The obvious thing to do is to either scrap the masks, or make them voluntary. But in Ireland there's no opposition, so I don't know how you ever get from level 1 to level 0.

When some become many and there's a general societal acceptance of the risk then those restrictions won't matter one bit.

Laws for drugs and robbery are completely different to holding a nation to ransom and purposely scaring people to keep them compliant.

My own (vulnerable) inlaws who cocooned for the guts of a year and who are still unvaccinated BTW are no longer following the restrictions and are enjoying long drives and walks in new places, without fear.

They are quite conservative, not at all law breakers but they simply have had enough. It gives me an indication that there's plenty of people who will be doing the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 965 ✭✭✭SnuggyBear

Comparing walking on the beach alone to robbing and selling drugs now are we? The government have done a great job brain washing some people.

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭RGS

We appear to have a government that follows not lead.

Peole are breaking the 5km limit---government will extend it.

People are meeting other people---government will allow it.

On the 13 April the courts may strike down the construction regs, so government will have to allow construction as it's a court order.

Government have ceded control to NPHET who wont allow any easing of restrictions as they have no interest in the economy or the normal needs of society. They are a one issue organisation.

They know they have the government by the short and curlies after Christmas and have IMO no intention of letting go.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Locotastic wrote: »
    When some become many and there's a general societal acceptance of the risk then those restrictions won't matter one bit.

As it's a minority that are currently ignoring the restrictions even by your odd logic they still matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,007 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

So you are in the rather minority position of not having to interact with anyone but the one scenario you do, you don't bother your hole wearing a mask?

Brilliant. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 965 ✭✭✭SnuggyBear

Graham wrote: »
    As it's a minority that are currently ignoring the restrictions even by your odd logic they still matter.

Lol your living in a dream world if you think it's a minority

• Advertisement

I don't get the "don't care what you think" comment
    Why personalise it? Not about me.

It was a generalised comment that some people seem to feel they are above the law that relates to others and it's not clear why.

On a personal level I could give a fiddler's what you think you're entitled to do.
    The government have done a great job brain washing some people.

Nail on the head, that exactly what seems to have happened to some people who are utterly terrified at the thought of themselves (and others) living regular lives.

Lol your living in a dream world if you think it's a minority

Maybe in your bubble or this thread.

Meanwhile in the real world, most are still adhering to the restrictions.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Sweet.Science

RGS wrote: »
    We appear to have a government that follows not lead.

Peole are breaking the 5km limit---government will extend it.

People are meeting other people---government will allow it.

On the 13 April the courts may strike down the construction regs, so government will have to allow construction as it's a court order.

Government have ceded control to NPHET who wont allow any easing of restrictions as they have no interest in the economy or the normal needs of society. They are a one issue organisation.

They know they have the government by the short and curlies after Christmas and have IMO no intention of letting go.

Is that case going ahead 13th april ? You'd have to think they will be successful .

Graham wrote: »

If they want to stay home under their bed forever I could care less, it's not their fault really they've been conditioned to see normal life as something negative.

I dont want this to be all there is for my kids, I don't accept it and I want them to have experiences and opportunities outside of covid like they have for most of their lives.

It's not a minority ignoring restrictions either, quite the opposite.

Public health. It's no secret, there's a pretty big clue in the name.

Boggles wrote: »
    So you are in the rather minority position of not having to interact with anyone but the one scenario you do, you don't bother your hole wearing a mask?

Brilliant. :rolleyes:

Yep. There's a dedicated mask thread of course but I'll go back to this..

In the early days of this "crisis" when we really DID have reason to be fearful and cautious, masks were not mandated until the late summer.

Despite this there was no surge in deaths or illness in supermarkets and the likes and even WITH masks being mandatory since then, the cases (as that's all we measure) have continued to vary wildly.

What that tells me is that masks are at best ineffective - at worst a potentially negative thing giving people a false sense of security.

But by all means continue to mask up if you feel it helps (and I say that sincerely). People will increasingly have to make their own judgements on these things as the needs of the wider country start to move us forward and out of the current restrictions - regardless of whether some are ready/want to or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭RGS

Is that case going ahead 13th april ? You'd have to think they will be successful .

Read the other day the state must file an affidavit by the 12th and case is listed for 13th.

Hopefully it goes ahead and the state lose.

It's a totally discriminatory regulation. Its animal farm territory.

SOCIAL HOUSING CONSTRUCTION SAFE.

PRIVATE CONSTRUCTION UNSAFE.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭TonyMaloney

Lads, we're under heavy restrictions right now and for good reason.

Why in god's name are you all working yourself up into a fervor over future theoretical indefinite restrictions?
    Long term restrictions on travel to certain countries is likely to happen, and for good reason.
    Beyond that, it's in everybody's interest to get us back to normal and that's what is going to happen.

The FF, FG and the Green party are not colluding to take away your rights in the long term for some as yet unexplained reason.
    It makes no sense at all. It is not happening.

Can we refocus on what is actually happening for a while?

Read the other day the state must file an affidavit by the 12th and case is listed for 13th.

Hopefully it goes ahead and the state lose.

It's a totally discriminatory regulation. Its animal farm territory.

SOCIAL HOUSING CONSTRUCTION SAFE.

PRIVATE CONSTRUCTION UNSAFE.

It's as logical as...

Grocery aisle safe. Wander as long as you like
    Clothing aisle next to it.... nooooo!!!! :rolleyes:

and it's this sort of stuff that is turning people away from the messaging from NPHET and Government.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭discostu1

Ok a lot of heated debate on here, firstly I have followed all the rules and will continue to do so. To me the most interesting development was what is happening in the States where they have had huge numbers of deaths and cases. I have relations in lots of different states.
    17 days ago Texas said we are re opening, not partially, fully no mandatory masks etc you might remember Biden said this was "Neanderthal thinking "....their cases have dropped, now that may well be due to a lot of people being vaccinated roughly a third of Americans are though some states are ahead of others. I haven't examined the Data fully but I always understood that we would see an impact of any change roughly 2 weeks after the event I am NOT saying we should go down this route but it is interesting that where I thought we would see a lot of dead Texans and hospitals overwhelmed it does not appear to be the case

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9410481/Texas-COVID-numbers-fall-17th-consecutive-day-following-reopening.html

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement