Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part X *Read OP For Mod Warnings*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Hurrache wrote: »
    Regarding the previous 5km law, there was actually a law for that for which you could be fined with.

But with the current relaxation to county/20km, there's no actual law preventing people from travelling intercounty anyway is there, it's just an advisory.

Is this actually true? Wouldn't they have just had the same law just with county/20km wording? I'm genuinely asking, have no idea of the finite law aspect.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Penfailed wrote: »
    Roll floor laugh out loud?

https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=RFLOL

Yup I think that about sums it up...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,571 ✭✭✭Penfailed

My position is "extreme" enough as it is compared to most here; you have absolutely no reason to misrepresent it unless you're being intentionally obtuse or disingenuous.

What I said was that I want all restrictions and legally enforced mandates lifted. I also said that I would personally still wear masks, wash hands, stay away from elderly relatives until they've their second jab, etc. and that people and businesses should make their own decisions about what risks they're willing to take.

It's actually not that "extreme" a position at all, really. You and others just keep conflating it with "let 'er rip" because you either cannot imagine making your own risk assessments and decisions without the assistance and enforcement of the government, or (and I suspect this applies to a lot of people in this thread) you (general) believe that you are responsible and reasonable enough to do without the restrictions but all those other eejits over there would immediately start licking doorknobs.

I just don't believe that the well-documented propensity of people to overestimate themselves is a good enough reason to keep everyone else restricted by mandate. And for people who really truly can't believe that their fellow citizens can handle life without "the rules", there's self-imposed restriction and home delivery.

Hang on. You said you wanted everything open now. I asked about masks, social distancing and restrictions on numbers. You replied, "No, no and no." That equates to 'let 'er rip' no matter how you try to spin it.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,636 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

I work in the north and availed of the Argos click and collect this week. I didn't even enter the shop. Paid online. Walked to the barrier at the door, gave them the passcode and they had emailed me to say it was collected before I even had it in my hand. How is that not safe?!

That's exactly it, one of the safest activities there could be but it's still closed here. Can't understand it.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,093 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

Absolutely not solely due to lockdown preceding it, nor did I say it was — but it is folly to pretend that the suppression of the virus by way of lockdown does not come with the risk that the inability to sustain lockdown indefinitely carries the risk of infection bottlenecks. What happened at Christmas was not solely due to lockdown, but denying the contribution of lockdown both in terms of creating the infection “dam” and fostering a desperation for people to see friends and family (especially where people were expecting a January lockdown) after being stuck indoors in the long nights of winter is simply disowning realism and how human nature works.

You are sick and tired of hearing the alternatives to lockdown because, as your post itself proves, you will happily amend the justification for lockdown — therefore there can never be an alternative. One day it was “Covid is going to collapse the health service and cause tens of thousands of Irish people to die and that is why we must lock down” ....and then somewhere along the line it became “Covid has killed more people in Sweden per capita than it has in Norway and therefore its strategy is a failure”. Over time, the justification for lockdown moved from ‘healthcare collapse + many thousands dying’ to ‘comparative exercise of which countries have less deaths’ to ‘minimise Covid deaths entirely’.

You talk about Sweden while blissfully ignoring the fact that the numbers you quote are not the vista on which lockdown was justified. The numbers are a tragedy, they would be worthy of action, heads rolling and sweeping reform, but if they were the numbers being predicted originally they would have been much harder to hold up as being so utterly extreme that a shutdown of society for around a year would have been viewed as the justifiable and proportionate remedy.

As for vague mumblings — perhaps you can educate me on specifics — if hairdressers and retail were opened this week, would our health service be unable to cope? Yes or no, oh mighty arbiter of definitives.

Did you read what I posted or just imagine I posted something you are replying too :confused:
    I did not say I was sick and tired of hearing the alternative to lockdown. I said
    I`m getting sick and tired of this "I have the answer to the alternative of lockdown" but when it comes down to actually what that is, it`s nothing but vague mumblings. Something that pretty much covers your reply.
    If you have an alternative as to what should have been done other than using lockdown then what is it ?

Where in Sweden`s numbers of 7,000 daily reported new cases, over 2,000 in Covid hospital beds and almost 400 in I.C.U. for a country with just twice the population of Ireland with the same vaccination % is it "Not the vista on which lockdown was justified" on protecting health services from being over-run.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

The context of the argument was that Spain lifting restrictions and there level of vaccinations so to turn around say you didn't mention the word restrictions is just back tracking.

Nope. My original reply to another poster who referred to digital vaccinations certs and the need for vaccination where I stated

gozunda wrote:
    ...Fingers crossed they manage to keep up with their vaccination schedule"
    and to which you replied.
    https://ourworldindata.org/coronavirus-data-explorer

Doing a bit better than us in their vaccine rollout and also once the elderly and vulnerable are vaccinated who gives a **** ?

Spain are obviously not adverse to risk like our over paid, conservative government whom seem intent in dragging this out as long as possible.

But specifically this from that post and my reply regarding vaccinations (which was picked by another poster who bizarrely ran off with it)
    once the elderly and vulnerable are vaccinated who gives a **** ?Who gives a "****" once the "elderly and vulnerable are vaccinated"???
    gozunda wrote:
    The absolute majority give a "****" I'd reckon.

I even got blamed for your asteriskses :pac:

But if you like we can continue what was discussed there between us about vaccinations with regard to 'restrictions'. I've no problem with that. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Hurrache wrote: »
    Regarding the previous 5km law, there was actually a law for that for which you could be fined with.

But with the current relaxation to county/20km, there's no actual law preventing people from travelling intercounty anyway is there, it's just an advisory.

Is this 100% confirmed?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,227 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

So you can't be fined for traveling inter- county? Wasn't aware of that, good to know. Belfast or Derry June Bank holiday so.

I don't think so, but just wondering if anyone else knows differently. The 5km is no longer enforced by the gardai as it's not in force anymore, and I don't believe the current restrictions were signed into law.

However upon checking the previous SI seemed to be pretty broad and the current restrictions are likely covered by the following
    Movement of Persons (Summary)
    On the {DATE OF OFFENCE} at {PLACE OF OFFENCE} in [SAID DISTRICT], without
    reasonable excuse, did leave your county of residence in contravention of Regulation 3(1) of
    Health Act 1947 (Section 31A - Temporary Restrictions) (Covid-19) (No. 9) Regulations 2020
    as amended.
    Contrary to Section 31A(6)(a) of the Health Act 1947 as amended by Section 10 of the Health
    (Preservation and Protection and other Emergency Measures in the Public Interest) Act 2020
    and contrary to section 31A(12) of the Health Act 1947 as substituted by Section 3 of the Health
    (Amendment) Act 2020

The statute is here
    http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/2020/si/121/made/en/print
    but it's the original one and I haven't yet found the latest relevant amendments which cover county/20km, if there's any, but I suppose you can be fined if the Gardai believe you don't have a reasonable excuse for traveling.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Inter-county travel being considered 'before June'

https://www.rte.ie/news/coronavirus/2021/0428/1212493-coronavirus-ireland/

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭MerlinSouthDub

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Wow, things are looking up!

Apparently Tony is in a good mood

https://twitter.com/gavreilly/status/1387463388104642563?s=19

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

https://twitter.com/Jennifer_Bray/status/1387462597658783747?s=20

Holy sh!tballs has anyone checked if Tony is ok?

I defend NPHET to the hilt but even this has surprised me.

Faugheen wrote: »
    https://twitter.com/Jennifer_Bray/status/1387462597658783747?s=20

Holy sh!tballs has anyone checked if Tony is ok?

I defend NPHET to the hilt but even this has surprised me.

What surprised you? That he's in a good mood, or NPHET appear to be optimistic ? :D

Stheno wrote: »
    What surprised you? That he's in a good mood, or NPHET appear to be optimistic ? :D

Well, both really.

He always seemed to be ultra conservative about opening up too quickly. I know he's been very optimistic as of late but 25 days until we can have pints? Think many people will join me in the surprise there.

For the record, I am NOT complaining!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,227 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Before the June bank holiday would be great. Many people's folks will have been vaccinated by then so would be good to get to see them.

Well, both really.

He always seemed to be ultra conservative about opening up too quickly. I know he's been very optimistic as of late but 25 days until we can have pints? Think many people will join me in the surprise there.

For the record, I am NOT complaining!

I don't think its a coincidence the North date is the same

Maybe they are applying a bit of common sense about people's behaviour?

I don't think its a coincidence the North date is the same

Maybe they are applying a bit of common sense about people's behaviour?

Maybe. Perhaps that 191k delivery from Pfizer has given everyone a boost.

As I said, all great news. Just very surprising!

Hang on. You said you wanted everything open now. I asked about masks, social distancing and restrictions on numbers. You replied, "No, no and no." That equates to 'let 'er rip' no matter how you try to spin it.

Only if you ignore literally everything else I said because it's an inconvenient barrier to you slapping the pin you've chosen on my lapel.

But sure, have at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,908 ✭✭✭The Big Easy

Maybe. Perhaps that 191k delivery from Pfizer has given everyone a boost.

As I said, all great news. Just very surprising!

Not to me, this was my prediction and I'm sticking with it.
    I don't think the return of Tony definitely means what everyone thinks it does.

While he wanted to be the one making the big decision by putting us in perpetual lockdown, he'll also want to be the one releasing us.

I've long thought that we won't come out of level 5 until he returns and can take the credit himself.

I don't know if the man is a narcissist or an egomaniac, but if his return does coincide with a significant relaxation of restrictions, it would certainly point to it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

I guess the reality of it all is finally sinking in.

We have pints outside already.

And public spaces being trashed and public urination.

Do we continue with that or do we allow people to drink in beer gardens whereby they may also order some food, spend more money, give the government more taxes, and take people off state assistance and allow some people to restart their careers and decrease government spending?

You'd wanna be particularly dense to not go with the latter.

So it's hard to say what will happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,344 ✭✭✭landofthetree

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

As is this, barbers and hairdressers next week

https://twitter.com/McConnellDaniel/status/1387474619494539277?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭TheDoctor

BANG

LEVEL 6

Mine called me today to book me in for the 17th which is what they were expecting.

If it is the 4th they'll bring it forward :D

I'll look human again :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,444 ✭✭✭robbiezero

That stuff is embarrassing wherever they are getting the quotes from.

"Tony is in a good mood". FFS

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Mine called me today to book me in for the 17th which is what they were expecting.

If it is the 4th they'll bring it forward :D

I'll look human again :D

Currently booking the 5th off work to queue for the barber

• Registered Users Posts: 14,273 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

I’ve already messaged my hairdresser asking if they are taking bookings :-D

• Advertisement

Currently booking the 5th off work to queue for the barber

Currently checking work calendar to see if there are any meetings I cannot reschedule :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement