Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part X *Read OP For Mod Warnings*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Crazed conspiracy theorist promotes giving people their freedoms back

https://twitter.com/DrLeanaWen/status/1387065593858334729

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭lee_baby_simms

Follow the science. And Tony’s mood.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,212 ✭✭✭✭km79

leahyl wrote: »
    I’ve already messaged my hairdresser asking if they are taking bookings :-D

Please god be true

• Registered Users Posts: 14,273 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

km79 wrote: »
    Please god be true

The came back and said they are waiting for confirmation and had a fingers crossed emoji :-)

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,429 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Mod: raind's threadban lifted after discussion with poster

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭B2021M

If true its quite different from Ciara Phelan's 'inside info' only last night!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Best get myself an appointment so. Wouldn't have had an issue queueing but It'll do

https://twitter.com/gavreilly/status/1387482749439774722?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭MOR316

Thank God!!!

Some much needed light

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Irishder

Any leaks as to when hotels are opening?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭ArthurDayne

charlie14 wrote: »
    Did you read what I posted or just imagine I posted something you are replying too :confused:
    I did not say I was sick and tired of hearing the alternative to lockdown. I said
    I`m getting sick and tired of this "I have the answer to the alternative of lockdown" but when it comes down to actually what that is, it`s nothing but vague mumblings. Something that pretty much covers your reply.

What’s vague about it? I think hairdressers and retail should be open, along with hospitality (with distance limits scrapped), dining and outdoor drinking — as they have already been during the Covid crisis without precipitating a scenario where healthcare was unable to cope. In addition to that, 1 million people have received at least a first dose vaccine, which offers significant protection as the data has quite clearly shown. I argued the same things about 5km limits, construction and schools - specific things which I did not believe (either in isolation or collectively) were going to leave healthcare unable to cope.

So if I am being vague — let’s hear you being clear and unequivocal. If we open these specific things I have mentioned, will our health service be unable to cope? Yes or No?
    charlie14 wrote: »
    If you have an alternative as to what should have been done other than using lockdown then what is it ?

Where in Sweden`s numbers of 7,000 daily reported new cases, over 2,000 in Covid hospital beds and almost 400 in I.C.U. for a country with just twice the population of Ireland with the same vaccination % is it "Not the vista on which lockdown was justified" on protecting health services from being over-run.

Ireland peaked at 218 ICU Covid patients in the middle of winter and in the midst of the time of year where much of the population gathers together with family. It’s the time of year where we all particularly find ourselves around older relatives. This was the issue, on any common sense understanding that people mingle more at Christmas and travel to homesteads, but has been all but ignored in favour of “the abundance of caution” that everything else must also be blamed and shut down — without any real indication that all these things are leading us to utter disaster.

When pubs and restaurants were open in the summer last year, they did not precipitate the kind of calamity on which lockdown is justified. I haven’t seen anything to suggest in clear terms that they will now — all the more so that we have administered significant protection to many already in the form of 1 million first doses. I did not, nor have I ever, disagreed with every single aspect of the restrictions. I support social distancing measures, mask wearing, capacity limits, limitation of large-crowd events remote working where possible etc etc. These things alone have a massive impact on social contact, including numbers bunching on trains and buses in morning and evening rush hours etc etc. Peoples’ own sense of self-preservation has also greatly reduced the manner in which vulnerable people interact with others.

But I do not believe that we should go any further than what is needed to stop the healthcare service being effectively incapacitated for a prolonged period — and right now I do not see the need nor the proportionate justification for many of the current more severe restrictions in our own national context.

But perhaps you can eliminate the vagueness and tell me, for example, the percentage by which opening hairdressers makes the incapacitation of the health service more likely?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭TheDoctor

Time to map out the beer garden pub crawl in May 24th

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Masala6

leahyl wrote: »
    I’ve already messaged my hairdresser asking if they are taking bookings :-D

Why that? You should've knocked on his house door straight after this tweet. lol

That news about barbers has made me sadly so happy !
    Even happier than the beer gardens .
    I’m sick of having to dry and brush my hair . It’s usually very short . Not been cut since December .
    Its like Fellainis now

• Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭MOR316

km79 wrote: »
    That news about barbers has made me sadly so happy !
    Even happier than the beer gardens .
    I’m sick of having to dry and brush my hair . It’s usually very short . Not been cut since December .
    Its like Fellainis now

fel_zpscc89f557.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 33,534 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Did I hear June mentioned today for inter-county travel?

If so, that's pathetic.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

NIMAN wrote: »

If so, that's pathetic.

That was this morning

Apparently its now May 10th

• Registered Users Posts: 14,273 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

If so, that's pathetic.

Leak said end of May now, I think

• Registered Users Posts: 38,321 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Darn used to always use walk in for the barbers, ah well ill try and book somewhere when they open

What is happening so much positivity long may it continue and we never ever have to darken the door of a lockdown again

This 'we might have to lockdown in a few weeks/months' needs to go and keep places open with life going on towards normal

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭Feria40

If so, that's pathetic.

10th of May now being suggested.

Please god the tweets coming out tonight are correct, it's really the minimum at this stage.

Of course intercounty travel will really open Belfast airports to us:p

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭Szero

Are gyms opening at the same time as personal services / barbers? Anyone know? Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Faugheen wrote: »
    https://twitter.com/Jennifer_Bray/status/1387462597658783747?s=20

Holy sh!tballs has anyone checked if Tony is ok?

I defend NPHET to the hilt but even this has surprised me.

Be careful you could get easily hung drawn and quartered for admitting stuff like that.
    Faugheen wrote: »
    Well, both really.

He always seemed to be ultra conservative about opening up too quickly. I know he's been very optimistic as of late but 25 days until we can have pints? Think many people will join me in the surprise there.

For the record, I am NOT complaining!

That would be a first for this thread :p

• Registered Users Posts: 15,093 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

What’s vague about it? I think hairdressers and retail should be open, along with hospitality (with distance limits scrapped), dining and outdoor drinking — as they have already been during the Covid crisis without precipitating a scenario where healthcare was unable to cope. In addition to that, 1 million people have received at least a first dose vaccine, which offers significant protection as the data has quite clearly shown. I argued the same things about 5km limits, construction and schools - specific things which I did not believe (either in isolation or collectively) were going to leave healthcare unable to cope.

So if I am being vague — let’s hear you being clear and unequivocal. If we open these specific things I have mentioned, will our health service be unable to cope? Yes or No?

Ireland peaked at 218 ICU Covid patients in the middle of winter and in the midst of the time of year where much of the population gathers together with family. It’s the time of year where we all particularly find ourselves around older relatives. This was the issue, on any common sense understanding that people mingle more at Christmas and travel to homesteads, but has been all but ignored in favour of “the abundance of caution” that everything else must also be blamed and shut down — without any real indication that all these things are leading us to utter disaster.

When pubs and restaurants were open in the summer last year, they did not precipitate the kind of calamity on which lockdown is justified. I haven’t seen anything to suggest in clear terms that they will now — all the more so that we have administered significant protection to many already in the form of 1 million first doses. I did not, nor have I ever, disagreed with every single aspect of the restrictions. I support social distancing measures, mask wearing, capacity limits, limitation of large-crowd events remote working where possible etc etc. These things alone have a massive impact on social contact, including numbers bunching on trains and buses in morning and evening rush hours etc etc. Peoples’ own sense of self-preservation has also greatly reduced the manner in which vulnerable people interact with others.

But I do not believe that we should go any further than what is needed to stop the healthcare service being effectively incapacitated for a prolonged period — and right now I do not see the need nor the proportionate justification for many of the current more severe restrictions in our own national context.

But perhaps you can eliminate the vagueness and tell me, for example, the percentage by which opening hairdressers makes the incapacitation of the health service more likely?

So are you actually saying that social distancing, mask wearing,capacity limits, limitation of large crowd events, remote working, limiting numbers on trains and buses during rush hour and peoples on sense of self preservation were all that was needed to keep numbers and deaths down and ensure health services would not come under severe pressure without the need for any other form of lockdown ?
    I hate to burst you bubble, but is that not what Sweden did, and are still doing, and even now with the same level of vaccination we have their health service is under severe pressure.

As to the rest of your post. From the very outset my belief that the only way out of this pandemic was through vaccination and everything possible should be done to minimise infections and deaths until vaccines became available.
    You know, that pesky stuff, science. And you know what ?

That is exactly what is now happening. So if it`s all the same too you, I`ll stick with the science. I really cannot see any reason to consider changing horse mid-stream.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,298 ✭✭✭facehugger99

If so, that's pathetic.

I presumed everyone sensible is just ignoring this and going wherever they want now anyway?

A lot of what is being discussed seems to depend on whether you have been vacinated or not.

Before even getting into whether this is discriminatory or not, it is surely entirely impossible to police?

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/health/nphet-gives-green-light-to-faster-than-expected-easing-of-restrictions-from-may-10th-1.4549950?mode=amp&__twitter_impression=true

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭SusanC10

Feria40 wrote: »
    A lot of what is being discussed seems to depend on whether you have been vacinated or now.

Before even getting into whether this is discriminatory or not, it is surely entirely impossible to police?

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/health/nphet-gives-green-light-to-faster-than-expected-easing-of-restrictions-from-may-10th-1.4549950?mode=amp&__twitter_impression=true

What about Kids ? Who can't be vaccinated yet.
    No mention anywhere of them in there.

Edit - they seem to have edited there after I read it the first time to mention Grandparents/Grandchildren.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,093 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

gozunda wrote: »
    Be careful you could get easily hung drawn and quartered for admitting stuff like that.

That would be a first for this thread :p

If these predictions do come through then there will be some here with egg on their faces. Quite a few with little to crib and cry about, but I doubt that will stop them. :pac:

SusanC10 wrote: »
    What about Kids ? Who can't be vaccinated yet.
    No mention anywhere of them in there.

Or young people in general who are the ones most likely to be meeting up anyway (already!)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,636 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

If these leaks are true I'll take an extended break from giving out. It looks like things could be moving much quicker than expected.

Feria40 wrote: »
    A lot of what is being discussed seems to depend on whether you have been vacinated or not.

That says barbers towards end of month
    Cries

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,163 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

A plan is what most people want, so if they can finally do that, most people will actually be happy with it.

I'll believe it when i see it though.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement