Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part X *Read OP For Mod Warnings*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭SusanC10

I know that new information comes to hand but it does annoy me when IT in particular create an alert, so you read the article and then a few minutes later they edit the article and keep editing it and it changes the information.

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭11521323

If these leaks are true I'll take an extended break from giving out. It looks like things could be moving much quicker than expected.

Yet much slower than most of the World. What people are willing to accept in this country is baffling. I cant grasp what circulates through your mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭11521323

Kiith wrote: »
    A plan is what most people want, so if they can finally do that, most people will actually be happy with it.

I'll believe it when i see it though.

They haven't even mentioned stuff like weddings, etc. There is no excuse to not have everything opened and full capacity by September but something tells me they'll do everything they can to avoid making a decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭daydorunrun

SusanC10 wrote: »
    What about Kids ? Who can't be vaccinated yet.
    No mention anywhere of them in there.

Edit - they seem to have edited there after I read it the first time to mention Grandparents/Grandchildren.

I hope kids won’t require vaccinations until full and in-depth trials on the use of mRNA vaccines are carried out on kids. They have been passed for emergency use in adults. There is no need for emergency use in kids so there should be fully trialled.

“You tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, never try.” Homer.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,636 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

11521323 wrote: »
    Yet much slower than most of the World. What people are willing to accept in this country is baffling. I cant grasp what circulates through your mind.

We'll be in a similar position to most of the world in a matter of weeks based on the leaks this evening. If I wanted to nitpick there's a few things I'd like to go differently, but it's still far better than I was expecting. Especially in the context of the government's repeated insistence that they want to avoid any lockdowns after this one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭Aph2016

The UK and NI have forced the government's hands.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,534 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

leahyl wrote: »
    Leak said end of May now, I think

Well to be fair, the end of May is June.

They haven't even mentioned stuff like weddings, etc. There is no excuse to not have everything opened and full capacity by September but something tells me they'll do everything they can to avoid making a decision.

Weddings are mentioned in the edited version of the IT article. (See my post above on why I hate the editing!)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭0lddog

Stheno wrote: »

Might there have been a meeting between Mr Watt and Dr Holohan ?

Might Dr Holohan have come of second best ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭ypres5

This talk of vaccine dividends is pure discriminatory against younger people like me who have no problem being vaccinated but are held back by the governments already agonizingly slow rollout which'll be even slower due to the harebrained decision made regarding the restrictions put on the astrazeneca and j&j vaccines.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Aph2016 wrote: »
    The UK and NI have forced the government's hands.

Yep and it’s been mentioned here plenty of times.

The magic money tree potentially running out and the thoughts of Paddy and Mary having a weekend in Belfast seems to be causing a Berlin Wall like collapse.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,861 ✭✭✭sporina

intercounty travel from when??? i'm confused

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

sporina wrote: »

10th apparently

• Registered Users Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Go travel inter county now if you feel like it.

I can't see a confirmed Date. Though based on earlier comments from Eamonn Ryan, it could be June 7th to match the alleged date for Hotels etc. But who knows ?!

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭undertaker fan 88

I can't see a confirmed Date. Though based on earlier comments from Eamonn Ryan, it could be June 7th to match the alleged date for Hotels etc. But who knows ?!

May 10th

May 10th

Where are you seeing that ?

I have only read the ever-changing IT article linked above which does not give a date for inter-county travel.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Where are you seeing that ?

I have only read the ever-changing IT article linked above which does not give a date for inter-county travel.

https://twitter.com/gavreilly/status/1387463388104642563?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 3,203 ✭✭✭TomSweeney

• Registered Users Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭ArthurDayne

charlie14 wrote: »
    So are you actually saying that social distancing, mask wearing,capacity limits, limitation of large crowd events, remote working, limiting numbers on trains and buses during rush hour and peoples on sense of self preservation were all that was needed to keep numbers and deaths down and ensure health services would not come under severe pressure without the need for any other form of lockdown ?
    I hate to burst you bubble, but is that not what Sweden did, and are still doing, and even now with the same level of vaccination we have their health service is under severe pressure.

As to the rest of your post. From the very outset my belief that the only way out of this pandemic was through vaccination and everything possible should be done to minimise infections and deaths until vaccines became available.
    You know, that pesky stuff, science. And you know what ?

That is exactly what is now happening. So if it`s all the same too you, I`ll stick with the science. I really cannot see any reason to consider changing horse mid-stream.

And again, this is a change of goalposts. This was never about "severe pressure" -- it was pressure to the extent of being unable to cope, and this incapacity would be to such a degree and duration that many thousands would die. If severe pressure was the threshold, you'll be on here many winters throughout your life seeking lockdowns. To say that people were scared of this virus because it might cause "severe pressure" to the health service is a distinct relegation of the severity of the threat this virus was touted as posing.

And you may well have always held that infections should be minimised by every means possible -- but the Irish people were certainly never presented the lockdown strategy on the basis of simply minimising Covid outright. Lockdown was an extreme unprecedented measure which was justified by the Government as being the response to the extreme scenario that (by not flattening the curve) the Irish health service would not just be under severe pressure -- but completely and utterly overrun for an indeterminate period, leading to many, many thousands dead.

Ultimately Charlie, you are rewriting the justification for lockdown -- and I can hardly blame you for that, because this gradual rewriting has been hammered out by the government and press as if it had always been consistent.

• Advertisement

Stheno wrote: »

That mentions last week in May for inter-county.

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭undertaker fan 88

That mentions last week in May for inter-county.

There

• Registered Users Posts: 9,987 ✭✭✭normanoffside

So from what I am gathering here is that Micheal Martin is so risk adverse that Tony Holohan has to tell him to open up.
    Is that right?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

The Irish Times has no specific mention of inter-county travel in their article. Unless taking the 'meet anywhere' outside part literal of the households measure.

Edit: They vaguely mention it later in the article for June.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/health/nphet-gives-green-light-to-faster-than-expected-easing-of-restrictions-from-may-10th-1.4549950?mode=amp&_ga=2.42374437.1050793420.1618853575-1792717457.1618853575

• Registered Users Posts: 7,363 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

Think people are getting ahead of themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,363 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

No indoor dining in June yet hotels can open??

• Registered Users Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭Degag

Perhaps you should give a little look over to India to learn something about perspective?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭LessOutragePlz

Degag wrote: »
    Perhaps you should give a little look over to India to learn something about perspective?

Don't say the I word!

Have you not read the last 20 pages :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,987 ✭✭✭normanoffside

Tony is going for president, I said it a year ago and now I have no doubt.

• Advertisement

Think people are getting ahead of themselves.

All a bit confusing. I am going to wait for the Official announcement. Sometime tomorrow, right ?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement