Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part X *Read OP For Mod Warnings*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,812 ✭✭✭✭bear1

Anywho I wonder when masks will no longer be necessary and they remove that ridiculous hotel quarantine

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Looks pretty much nailed on now.

Barbers & hair dressers pushed a week from what was being discussed earlier. To be honest I'm not surprised. My mother's hairdresser said she wouldn't be in a position to open next week at short notice, stock etc.

Outdoor hospitality, doesn't bother me too much that it looks like being delayed a week or so. Would make sense that hotels could open at the same time.

Overall quite happy, intercounty travel is huge

https://twitter.com/Philip_Ryan/status/1387525428861145089?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 12,978 ✭✭✭✭JRant

11521323 wrote: »
    I agree but they don't take reality into account when making decisions. They're not a pragmatic bunch, they prefer to envision a fantasy when deciding what to implement!

We have all become a data point on a model to them now.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭11521323

Degag wrote: »
    Not what i'm saying.

You state:

Which is a hugely hyperbolic statement. Anyone who lives in this country is extremely lucky to do so for the most part, across a large range of KPIs. We are a leading country in almost every regard.

So therefore you need to learn some perspective. Go off out to live in India or somewhere if you're not happy here.

Today and tomorrow look to be good days in that we are going to get a roadmap on reopening. Alot of things look to be reopening faster than i thought they would last week which is great.

Would it be nice to have them open earlier? Sure, of course it would. But when we look back at this next year when this is hopefully all over, i don't think it will particularily matter if we were a few weeks behind some countries. Just that it's all over and we can move on.

Perspective & Patience.

Please don't start with the absolute comparisons to India. It's all relative.

We should not complain about our unreasonably slow reopening because of a situation in India and we could have it worse? That's a ridiculous view.

You wouldn't make absolute comparisons inversely. I.E. you don't consider yourself a failure in every aspect of your life (at least I hope not!) because on every spectrum, there's always someone who's way better than you in every way. So stop making absolute comparisons when it comes to adversity, we don't do it in any other scenario.

Relatively, we should be back to complete normality by September and there is no logic or reasoning that could rationalize that not happening.

Degag wrote: »
    Not what i'm saying.

You state:

Which is a hugely hyperbolic statement. Anyone who lives in this country is extremely lucky to do so for the most part, across a large range of KPIs. We are a leading country in almost every regard.

So therefore you need to learn some perspective. Go off out to live in India or somewhere if you're not happy here.

Today and tomorrow look to be good days in that we are going to get a roadmap on reopening. Alot of things look to be reopening faster than i thought they would last week which is great.

Would it be nice to have them open earlier? Sure, of course it would. But when we look back at this next year when this is hopefully all over, i don't think it will particularily matter if we were a few weeks behind some countries. Just that it's all over and we can move on.

Perspective & Patience.

I'd like to see the reopening happen sooner rather than later but if they present a semi coherent plan tomorrow I'll live with it. The plan tomorrow needs to show not only the reopening of certain aspects of society but a clear end date for all measures. I want to know what the end game is now. We are really starting to pump vaccines out now with more supply coming online every day. So, there is zero excuse for tomorrow's plan not to have a complete return to normality referenced in it somewhere. Be it August/September I'm not overly pushed but it 100% has to be in there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

bear1 wrote: »
    Nah just garbage :)

Yes you are quite correct. Your comment was. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Multipass

Feria40 wrote: »
    A lot of what is being discussed seems to depend on whether you have been vacinated or not.

Before even getting into whether this is discriminatory or not, it is surely entirely impossible to police?

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/health/nphet-gives-green-light-to-faster-than-expected-easing-of-restrictions-from-may-10th-1.4549950?mode=amp&__twitter_impression=true

I laughed reading that part with all the use of ‘allowed’ and ‘permitted’., and no meeting in gardens. Who do they think they are? Maybe if they tried ‘advise’ someone might listen, but surely most people are making their own assessments at this stage, my family have been for a long time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭Sammy2012

What's peoples take on foreign travel this summer? Do you think quarantine and tests will be required in August?

Corholio wrote: »

By about 2 weeks. I'll take it for a tradeoff with earlier barbers to be honest. I can wait an extra 2 weeks for a pint but the hair is getting too wild

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

bear1 wrote: »
    Anywho I wonder when masks will no longer be necessary and they remove that ridiculous hotel quarantine

They're never getting rid of masks. You'll be wearing them every winter.

They're never getting rid of masks. You'll be wearing them every winter.

Doubt it

• Registered Users Posts: 989 ✭✭✭Stormyteacup

We should not complain about our unreasonably slow reopening because of a situation in India and we could have it worse? That's a ridiculous view.

You wouldn't make absolute comparisons inversely. I.E. you don't consider yourself a failure in every aspect of your life (at least I hope not!) because on every spectrum, there's always someone who's way better than you in every way. So stop making absolute comparisons when it comes to adversity, we don't do it in any other scenario.

Relatively, we should be back to complete normality by September and there is no logic or reasoning that could rationalize that not happening.

It reminds me of my mother telling me to finish my dinner because there are starving children in Africa.

Amazing how Covid should make us grateful to be living in a privileged country, yet famine, wars, natural disasters, and pandemics that never made it here, should really have already cemented our gratitude a long time ago.

Meaningless - the only reason a social conscience has manifested so strongly is because the threat to the individual and their immediate loved ones was perceived as close and deadly.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭Degag

You live in a country (presuming that you do reside here) that gives you a fantastic standard of life, all told.

And yet you state in the original post i quoted that people are essentially oppressed here.

My point to you is that we are not. We are a few weeks behind some countries but that won't matter next year or the year after when this is hopefully over.

As i said, perspective.

Corholio wrote: »

Surprise surprise, it was too good to be true. The trademark bait and switch, watch pubs get continually pushed back like last summer. And Paddy shrugs his shoulders, "at least I can get the mop tidied". High fives all round :rolleyes:

Surprise surprise, it was too good to be true. The trademark bait and switch, watch pubs get continually pushed back like last summer. And Paddy shrugs his shoulders, "at least I can get the mop tidied". High fives all round :rolleyes:

Looks like a week's delay to bring in line with hotels. Irish times reporting hotels to open for the Bank holiday weekend, opening 4th June

• Registered Users Posts: 32,718 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Barbers & hair dressers pushed a week from what was being discussed earlier. To be honest I'm not surprised. My mother's hairdresser said she wouldn't be in a position to open next week at short notice, stock etc.

Outdoor hospitality, doesn't bother me too much that it looks like being delayed a week or so. Would make sense that hotels could open at the same time.

Intercounty travel would be amazing.
    I had hopefully booked June in Belfast for my other halfs birthday...fingers crossed

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

It's discrimination if that is introduced before everyone has had an option to be vaccinated.

Not allowing someone to do something because they haven't been allowed to be vaccinated yet is medical apartheid.

Eh?

If It hasnt been introduced yet - so its not a problem then?

Or we can solve that problem by not introducing it in the first place yet until we do have vaccines / have everyone vaccinated. Would that be a solution?

But eitherway if we don't have vaccines for everyone at this moment- how do you propose we vaccinate everyone at the same time so we don't have "Medical apartheid" (whatever that is)

I'd say that pesky June bank holiday weekend out paid to outdoor dining in the last week of May.

I'll take the intercounty travel not being illegal again though. That one has annoyed me for a long time now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭Andrew00

Imagine following the so called inter county ban in the first place

JRant wrote: »
    I'd say that pesky June bank holiday weekend out paid to outdoor dining in the last week of May.

I'll take the intercounty travel not being illegal again though. That one has annoyed me for a long time now.

Actually looks like outdoor dining is penciled in for the 4th along with hotels for the bank holiday weekend

gmisk wrote: »
    Intercounty travel would be amazing.
    I had hopefully booked June in Belfast for my other halfs birthday...fingers crossed

The North is going to be getting a lot of visitors over the next 6 weeks.

Actually looks like outdoor dining is penciled in for the 4th along with hotels for the bank holiday weekend

I had the 10th of June in my head for some reason. The 4th would be lovely.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,718 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

The North is going to be getting a lot of visitors over the next 6 weeks.
    I don't doubt it!
    Er I visited it yesterday to get my first vaccine lol..

Indoor dining etc in Belfast cannot wait!
    Hotel and train already booked.

I had the 10th of June in my head for some reason. The 4th would be lovely.

Guess we'll find out tomorrow but IT reporting 4th so businesses get the bank holiday

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

Sammy2012 wrote: »
    What's peoples take on foreign travel this summer? Do you think quarantine and tests will be required in August?

“”Tánaiste Leo Varadkar told a meeting of the Fine Gael parliamentary party on Wednesday evening that the Government must have a plan in place by the end of May for the phased return of international travel.””

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭marilynrr

Is there any indication about when indoor training/non contact fitness classes will open?

gmisk wrote: »
    I don't doubt it!
    Er I visited it yesterday to get my first vaccine lol..

Indoor dining etc in Belfast cannot wait!
    Hotel and train already booked.

I hope you have a wonderful time and get to enjoy that sweet taste of normality.

• Advertisement

Guess we'll find out tomorrow but IT reporting 4th so businesses get the bank holiday

You are probably right, Ive read the 10th of May for easing of some restrictions and my brain just added a month for the outdoor dining in June.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement