Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part X *Read OP For Mod Warnings*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭11521323

Why are we so much slower again that the rest of Europe? Outdoor dining not open till June 7th is ridiculous. Denmark opened outdppr cafes dining last week and have twice as many cases as us.

Because something something India, look at what happened at Christmas, etc.

The only rationale for doing so is out of fear of the worst-case scenario which isn't how a government is supposed to operate but here we are.

The public largely support this carry on which is why they feel comfortable doing it.

11521323 wrote: »
    Because something something India, look at what happened at Christmas, etc.

The only rationale for doing so is out of fear of the worst-case scenario which isn't how a government is supposed to operate but here we are.

Outdoor activities. I'm not suggesting indoor. Look at what's happening at the moment around local parks, more controlled environment in an outdoor bar and it helps people get jobs back.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Why are we so much slower again that the rest of Europe? Outdoor dining not open till June 7th is ridiculous. Denmark opened outdoor cafes dining last week and have twice as many cases as us. Outdoor activites are pretty safe.

It depends which other EU countries you're comparing restrictions with.

There's can awful lot of cherry-picking the least restrictive examples when the reality is we're neither the slowest nor the fastest.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,015 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

No outdoor dining back to 7th June now not 24th May means no actual proper dining until August realistically. "Need to see the effect of outdoor first" "takes time for effect of opening outdoor to be known" "we gave you hospitality (for a select few), now go away and behave yourselves".

• Registered Users Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭Degag

And as I said, pointing to how good our general standard of living is, isn't usable evidence to justify us being months behind every other country in Europe. It's farsical.

If it's a few weeks, I agree I'm being a bit dramatic but it's not a few weeks, it's going to me months.

But sure it's not months is it?

I mean if we take outdoor dining, the UK opened about 2 week ago. We are supposedly opening around the end of the month. so 6/7 weeks. There might be other things (like golf in Scotland i believe) that have consistently stayed open but on the whole, it looks like a few weeks, max, that we will be behind some countries in certain areas. And alot of that is simply down actual vaccine procurement.

And as i said, i wasn't using examples of our standard of living to justify anything with regards opening up - just to show the hyperbole in your original post.

• Advertisement

Graham wrote: »
    It depends which other EU countries you're comparing restrictions with.

There's can awful lot of cherry-picking the least restrictive examples when the reality is we're neither the slowest nor the fastest.

Go around Western Europe and you will see we have one of the most restrictive practises regarding outdoor dining.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

Funny in all the more positive news re the easing of restrictions they're still terrified of Bank Holidays

Hotels and guesthouses will reopen no sooner than June 7th, the National Public Health Emergency Team (Nphet) has recommended

That's 1 (August) out of 11 Bank Holidays up to June that hospitality will have been opened

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

KrustyUCC wrote: »
    Funny in all the more positive news re the easing of restrictions they're still terrified of Bank Holidays

Hotels and guesthouses will reopen no sooner than June 7th, the National Public Health Emergency Team (Nphet) has recommended

That's 1 (August) out of 11 Bank Holidays up to June that hospitality will have been opened

Hotels opening 2nd June

Go around Western Europe and you will see we have one of the most restrictive practises regarding outdoor dining.

So not cherry picking restrictions then?

As has already been pointed out we're only a few weeks behind the UK who are much further along their vaccination program.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

• Registered Users Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭Beanybabog

Do people really care about bank holidays anyway? I imagine lots of people have a lot of annual leave stored up right now. And sure if you work from home what harm is it being hungover on a workday after 6 months of doing nothing!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Again, I'm not saying we're not, I'm saying we're lifting them at an reasonably good rate for how low the level of vaccination at present in the country is.

The ramifications of which is costing the country billions which will eventually have to be paid back. And we know that

Being cautious is ok. When we know it will cost a lot more if we end up back where we were a few months ago.

Let's hope this is a good move

FYP ... ;)

Hulk Hands wrote: »
    No outdoor dining back to 7th June now not 24th May means no actual proper dining until August realistically. "Need to see the effect of outdoor first" "takes time for effect of opening outdoor to be known" "we gave you hospitality (for a select few), now go away and behave yourselves".

Paddy is over the moon and beyond. A few mickey mouse concessions have him dancing a jig. And if we're good lickle boys and girls we could tiptoe indoors by July. That Covid, it nicked the last bar stool and glowers if you tread near the mane yoke.

It's pathetic how excessively cautious we are compared to our continental neighbours, and then are expected to display fawning appreciation towards daddy government for being allowed the most basic of freedoms. Archbishop McQuaid would approve.

So not cherry picking restrictions then?

As has already been pointed out we're only a few weeks behind the UK who are much further along their vaccination program.

Read my post, take a look around Europe and you will see regarding outdoor dining. Netherland open now, Belgium May 8th, France mid may, Germany, Italy, Spain. Take your pick and maybe do a bit of reading.

Read my post, take a look around Europe and you will see regarding outdoor dining. France mid may, Germany, Italy, Spain. Take your pick and maybe do a bit of reading.

I've no doubt some countries have permitted outdoor dining before us. Different countries are prioritising different restrictions.

It's hardly surprising is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

death to the 9e meal. what a time to be alive.
    But the 9euro meal kept the disease at bay, did it not?

I've no doubt some countries have permitted outdoor dining before us. Different countries are prioritising different restrictions.

It's hardly surprising is it?
    Rowing back on the cherry picking now I see when you realise it's almost all of Western Europe.
    We are extremely risk adverse regarding outdoor activities when all the data suggests otherwise.

Rowing back on the cherry picking now I see when you realise it's almost all of Western Europe.
    We are extremely risk adverse regarding outdoor activities.

When some of your examples haven't yet actually relaxed the restrictions, I think my comment stands.

• Advertisement

When some of your examples haven't yet actually relaxed the restrictions, I think my comment stands.

I said one of the slowest and have provided plenty examples of places currently opened and are opening on said dates well ahead of our restrictions.

Picked 4 countries to check:

France - Easing of restrictions announced
    Germany - Restaurants and cafes must remain closed
    Spain - Outdoor dining permitted subject to strict spacing
    Belgium - Al Fresco from mid-may
    Holland - outdoor dining from yesterday

So, we're neither the strictest nor the most relaxed.

Picked 4 countries to check:

France - Easing of restrictions announced
    Germany - Restaurants and cafes must remain closed
    Spain - Outdoor dining permitted subject to strict spacing
    Belgium - Al Fresco from mid-may
    Netherlands - open dining from yesterday

Crikey, on that alone you are providing 4 examples of countries opening ahead of ours & they have announced, that's exactly what i was saying, of course opening here with outdoors will have restrictions.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,093 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

And again, this is a change of goalposts. This was never about "severe pressure" -- it was pressure to the extent of being unable to cope, and this incapacity would be to such a degree and duration that many thousands would die. If severe pressure was the threshold, you'll be on here many winters throughout your life seeking lockdowns. To say that people were scared of this virus because it might cause "severe pressure" to the health service is a distinct relegation of the severity of the threat this virus was touted as posing.

And you may well have always held that infections should be minimised by every means possible -- but the Irish people were certainly never presented the lockdown strategy on the basis of simply minimising Covid outright. Lockdown was an extreme unprecedented measure which was justified by the Government as being the response to the extreme scenario that (by not flattening the curve) the Irish health service would not just be under severe pressure -- but completely and utterly overrun for an indeterminate period, leading to many, many thousands dead.

Ultimately Charlie, you are rewriting the justification for lockdown -- and I can hardly blame you for that, because this gradual rewriting has been hammered out by the government and press as if it had always been consistent.

If anyone is attempting to change the goalposts here I`m afraid it is very much you Arthur. Along with a fair old measure of avoidance as well.

One of the aims of lockdown was to prevent health services from being over-run. Something we saw, and are still seeing, in countries before lockdowns were introduced. Far as I recall one of your points has been that ours was not over-run as shown by our I.C.U. numbers.
    Low infection numbers will ensure lower hospitalisations and thus lower numbers requiring I.C.U. To believe lockdown played no part is denying reality Arthur.

Apparently your idea as to what level of restrictions we should have had all along are those you listed in your last post.
    Those were tried in Sweden. Still are. Looking at their data, that`s a bullet we would not have missed following your alternative to lockdown.

Crikey, on that alone you are providing 4 examples of countries opening ahead of ours

Incredible isn't it. It's quite possible to make a point without cherry picking.

It certainly puts the "we're the worst" nonsense to bed.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,362 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Crikey, on that alone you are providing 4 examples of countries opening ahead of ours

By what is almost certainly going to be a few weeks. Who is so fanatical about 'outdoor dining' in our climate anyway?

By what is almost certainly going to be a few weeks. Who is so fanatical about 'outdoor dining' in our climate anyway?

I think the idea was it would highlight how we're the absolutely most restrictive country ever.

Unfortunately the idea is unsupported by reality.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,321 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Jesus the Wedding numbers is a farce

Sure 50 of ye can come to the church but only 24 of ye coming to the hotel

Incredible isn't it. It's quite possible to make a point without cherry picking.

It certainly puts the "we're the worst" nonsense to bed.

Out of your examples you couldn't provide 1 example of a place as restrictive as us for outdoor dining, Germany has been open at times for outdoor dining in last few months, we haven't been. Again we are the most restrictive of your cherry licked list for outdoor dining and outdoor dining plans. Can't be so hard to say you didn't know I guess.

• Advertisement

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Jesus the Wedding numbers is a farce

Sure 50 of ye can come to the church but only 24 of ye coming to the hotel

All about the worry with alcohol unfortunately

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement