Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part X *Read OP For Mod Warnings*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,007 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

TomSweeney wrote: »
    btw to all the people **** over India, India has 244x the population of Ireland, India had 3,500 deaths yesterday, Ireland had 12 .... quite similar in proportion, the media are hyping it as they are using absolute numbers.

You could oxygen in Ireland yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,857 ✭✭✭growleaves

Lads it was Martin and Varadkar who spoke about rolling lockdowns into 2022 - and they haven't walked that back.

Be careful mocking now because if we're back in lockdown in October you're the ones going to be shilling it, going on about an outbreak in the Sahara or variant D1227 or some other nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭Beanybabog

Fandymo wrote: »
    When I track mine, it says Passport will be with you 6th May, Passport card will follow a few days later. SO i'd say it's on its way to you.

I have an issue date but I read somewhere on boards this is automatic so issue dates have come and gone without passports arriving. Mine is a new application for a baby which have all been on pause due to the supporting documents. Be interested to see if yours arrives on time!! Mine is shortly after

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    Ah come on lads... the desperation here to save face this morning with the "this was the plan all along" stuff just isn't reality.

Only a few days ago the message coming from official sources was a much slower relaxation over June/July and even at that still talk about outdoor only.

This is a signficant policy shift - likely driven by economic factors IMO. It's long overdue and certainly welcome, but let's leave the spin to the likes of Leo shall we?

In fairness I do think vaccine availability and what they see from vaccinations that were administered so far plays a big role. I feel like they must have got a big delivery and more to come. I even got a shot on Monday myself as my GP had plenty of overs from current batch and I was called in with what looked like dozens of others if not more. I'm only just over 50. I was told there is a free bus now running every 15 minutes from my town to the nearest vacc center. It really is happening it seems.

The emergency legislation is to expire on 9 June but if it is extended after the vote where would this leave things in terms of easing of restrictions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭paw patrol

You have to change your mind in line with what the man on the telly tells you.

this x1000 percent.

esp if that man is Luke O'Neill who tells you masks don't work . Then a few months later will tell you they do work cos the science is "overwhelming" (his words) - decades of science overturned in an "overwhelming" manner in a few months.
    seem legit to me :rolleyes: but who am anybody to question the professor?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭Beanybabog

In fairness I do think vaccine availability and what they see from vaccinations that were administered so far plays a big role. I feel like they must have got a big delivery and more to come. I even got a shot on Monday myself as my GP had plenty of overs from current batch and I was called in with what looked like dozens of others if not more. I'm only just over 50. I was told there is a free bus now running every 15 minutes from my town to the nearest vacc center. It really is happening it seems.

Are you in a cohort above the age group do you mind me asking? I was at the GP for my baby’s vaccines (not covid!) and I asked the nurse how it was going and they’re still working on their over 70s which sound depressingly slow. Heard the receptionists talking about cancelling appointments as no vaccines

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

gansi wrote: »
    The emergency legislation is to expire on 9 June but if it is extended after the vote where would this leave things in terms of easing of restrictions.

I'd imagine in exactly the same position.

Beanybabog wrote: »
    Are you in a cohort above the age group do you mind me asking? I was at the GP for my baby’s vaccines (not covid!) and I asked the nurse how it was going and they’re still working on their over 70s which sound depressingly slow. Heard the receptionists talking about cancelling appointments as no vaccines

Something like 190,000 vaccines arrived in the country yesterday.

The plan remains to vaccinate up-to 450,000 per week over the next month or two.

growleaves wrote: »
    Lads it was Martin and Varadkar who spoke about rolling lockdowns into 2022 - and they haven't walked that back.

Be careful mocking now because if we're back in lockdown in October you're the ones going to be shilling it, going on about an outbreak in the Sahara or variant D1227 or some other nonsense.

Best way to combat that scenario is to get yourself vaccinated when it is your turn.

As for doom mongering about "D1227", best way to combat that is sensible and effective infection control measures at our ports of entry.

UK and EU need to be on same page for this.

• Advertisement

Expressing opinions is not "shilling"

No one knew enough about how successful vaccines would be or how much supply we would actually get early in the year to give any guarantees. We now have in place deals for enough vaccines to get everyone who wants it done this summer and to have boosters if they are required long term due any potential variants long term

• Registered Users Posts: 8,690 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

You're right there, many of the "Leaks" and messages coming from this Govt. are pretty similar to last year when cases and deaths disappeared over the summer months....
    Once the new viruses... I mean... Variants come out, it will be back into lockdown again for the winter...

• Registered Users Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

TomSweeney wrote: »
    btw to all the people **** over India, India has 244x the population of Ireland, India had 3,500 deaths yesterday, Ireland had 12 .... quite similar in proportion, the media are hyping it as they are using absolute numbers.

Mod

Dont post in this thread again.

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    You're right there, many of the "Leaks" and messages coming from this Govt. are pretty similar to last year when cases and deaths disappeared over the summer months....
    Once the new viruses... I mean... Variants come out, it will be back into lockdown again for the winter...

Jesus on the back of rather positive news people are determined to paint misery conjuring hypotheticals.

It must be exhausting.

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭daydorunrun

Interesting reading people’s take on things here this morning.
    Delighted to see some easing of restrictions but to me it seems like classic under promise - over deliver. In contrast to Christmas and it’s over promise and over deliver.

It’s not going to be possible to satisfy everyone I know- getting non covid health care has to be a big priority now. Have been waiting for an appointment for my 10 year old who has been waiting for an assessment- got a date yesterday for the end of 2022:(

“You tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, never try.” Homer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭paddyisreal

Boggles wrote: »
    MM has been consistent on Q2. His last address was actually very positive and laid out a lot that would happen over May, June and July. But he has been banging on about Q2 since the start of the year.

We are also ahead of best case scenario in terms of key indicators, vaccine supply and a plan has been achieved.

When he talks about "outdoor activities" or an "outdoor summer" that was advice for the populous, something which we will hear a lot over the next few months.

Basically ye know how to protect yourselves at this stages, outdoor activities much riskier than indoor.

Bit of a slow learner is our government sure everyone knows outdoor activities are safe since this started over a year ago and now mm is some kind of oracle for enlightening us with this new information.talk about rewriting history....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭ThewhiteJesus

Well i'm very positive about the "leaks" i can finally get down to Clare and see my old folks for the first time in over a year soon,
    i think maybe beer gardens could be opened alot earlier and into pubs earlier but at least it's progress.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,571 ✭✭✭Penfailed

Leftwaffe wrote: »
    So you’re telling me everything that is opening in this phased relaxation of restrictions will not close again due to public health guidance on COVID-19?

I just want to be sure on this.

No one is sure on this.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,547 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Boggles wrote: »
    Jesus on the back of rather positive news people are determined to paint misery conjuring hypotheticals.

It must be exhausting.

They seem genuinely scared at the idea of lockdowns ending and already are waiting/hoping for them to return.

I guess when you've dedicated a year of your life demonising NPHET and criticising lockdowns the idea of it ending is terrifying to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭Potatoeman

They should have opened barbers and hairdressers months ago. Now everyone will try and get in and at the start in case they close again, causing more spreading then if they opened after a month or two. It’s like they are incapable of thinking ahead.

• Advertisement

Well i'm very positive about the "leaks" i can finally get down to Clare and see my old folks for the first time in over a year soon,

That sounds more like personal choice or circumstances than restrictions TBF.

You can't blame "the man of the telly" for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭SAMTALK

Wow, it's amazing how some people can't just see the light at the end of the tunnel

Of course they were never going to open everything at once and all back to normal, but there is a lot of positives

Things are opening up and vaccines are moving ok at the minute

yes, it has all come at a cost of course and I dont think there is anyone in Ireland who doesnt realise we will be paying for this for a long time to come

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭SAMTALK

Potatoeman wrote: »
    They should have opened barbers and hairdressers months ago. Now everyone will try and get in and at the start in case they close again, causing more spreading then if they opened after a month or two. It’s like they are incapable of thinking ahead.

It's by appointment only so there is control over numbers

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

I am not sure what that question means. I was merely refuting a point someone else had made with data. We tend to be at the top of the EU in terms of restrictions.

The point is that stringency index shows that along with a range of other countries - that many countries (including Ireland) are bunched together at the top and whilst there are certainly variations in time and duration with individual restrictions - that overall little difference . It seems its mainly Eastern European Countries who are the outliers in your graph. Specifically looking at Ireland and some of our popular EU travel destinations- Greece leads the pack and Ireland and Italy having the same scores atm. And then with periods of time we and other countries at the bottom then the top of the index.

https://i.imgflip.com/56yh5s.jpg

The poster who put up the "we're supposed to be grateful for rotten apple cores tossed at us prison inmates" analogy deserves a medal. Donnelly had the audacity to boast about "a few nice things" being done for the public last night. Shows you how insulated the Government are from reality, a six-figure cushion affords that. Game of pure arrogance and manipulation, as you rightly point out Martin & Varadkar haven't strayed from the party line regarding "abundance of caution" next winter. If Éamon Ryan can casually admit that government policy is dictated by the whims of NPHET, what is stopping them from hiding behind Tony, Glynn et al for remainder of 2021. They need an almighty clatter to the rear, a general election would sharply remind them whose interests they were elected to serve. We've been dangled long enough, pushing out indoor hospitality until July at earliest is the definition of cowardice.

Potatoeman wrote: »

You think 100 badly blue rinsed all wans are going to jump in through the hairdresser window on the 10th?

• Registered Users Posts: 989 ✭✭✭Stormyteacup

pjohnson wrote: »
    They seem genuinely scared at the idea of lockdowns ending and already are waiting/hoping for them to return.

I guess when you've dedicated a year of your life demonising NPHET and criticising lockdowns the idea of it ending is terrifying to them.

Oh don’t worry too much. I, for one, believe I have several years of demonising NPHET and criticising lockdowns ahead of me.

When the fallout begins in earnest and the media switch to highlighting the damage our ludicrous debt has caused, and the loss of life that will be attributed to the lack of urgency in restoring non-Covid healthcare - there will be much to discuss.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭prunudo

Its completely disingenuous to say that the latest leaks arent a surprise and they always planned to open up in May. Something has drastically changed in government buildings in the last 24-36hrs to signal such a speeding up of their approach.
    The data has been pretty much constant for the last few weeks, falling hospitalisations, stable case numbers and increasing vaccinations. Up until a few days ago the cmo was telling nphet members to think long and hard about easing restrictions and senior ministers sounding very downbeat about opening up. I just don't see what has changed that is given them this new found positivity.

They are jumping up and down now about great we are doing but in reality the signs have been there since early March they could ease certain sections of society more quickly. It is their approach that is puzzling more so than what the figures say imo.

prunudo wrote: »
    Its completely disingenuous to say that the latest leaks arent a surprise and they always planned to open up in May.

It's been on the cards for weeks so I've no idea why you think relaxing restrictions is suddenly some kind of new plan driven by an unknown mystery force.

• Advertisement

prunudo wrote: »
    Its completely disingenuous to say that the latest leaks arent a surprise and they always planned to open up in May. Something has drastically changed in government buildings in the last 24-36hrs to signal such a speeding up of their approach.
    The data has been pretty much constant for the last few weeks, falling hospitalisations, stable case numbers and increasing vaccinations. Up until a few days ago the cmo was telling nphet members to think long and hard about easing restrictions and senior ministers sounding very downbeat about opening up. I just don't see what has changed that is given them this new found positivity.

They are jumping up and down now about great we are doing but in reality the signs have been there since early March they could ease certain sections of society more quickly. It is their approach that is puzzling more so than what the figures say imo.

Screaming for a plan.

Get's a plan.

Screams at the plan.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement