Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part X *Read OP For Mod Warnings*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,690 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

jusvi2001 wrote: »
    Totally agree with you. we have useless bunch of politicians who lacks touch with reality. i couldn't believe reading that some of them are asking government to extend the 5 km restriction to 10 km or 20km. it is real farce.they couldn't even ask government to allow travel within county. i am sure that next week they will increase the 5 km restriction to 10km or 20 km and present it as a huge favour to the ordinary people.

There's an element of "You get what you deserve" with our Politicians/Government.... They are responding to their constituents mainly, and so long as a majority of the general public support them and the restrictions then that's exactly what we will all get... restrictions... with maybe some easing towards the end of the summer.. However the UK who are far far ahead of Ireland on vaccinations aren't in a great hurry to lift the restrictions... but at least they have a plan...

Increasing the 5k to 10 or 20k is a pointless waste of time... "Let them eat crumbs...".... May as well be 6.8km or 14.2km, it achieves nothing, won't save anyone or won't change 600 cases a day to 100 cases a day either... it's a complete joke...

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭RGS

The rumour that we can go 10km from 5 April is nothing more than a " heres a sweet little boy" from our superiors.

If NPHET think that is going to appease the masses they certainly havent read the room.

As I have said regularly it's easy to enforce restrictions on people when you are not affected by your decisions.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,321 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

RGS wrote: »
    The rumour that we can go 10km from 5 April is nothing more than a " heres a sweet little boy" from our superiors.

If NPHET think that is going to appease the masses they certainly havent read the room.

As I have said regularly it's easy to enforce restrictions on people when you are not affected by your decisions.

Yet again NPHET are getting to much input on decisions

The numbers are not going down and prob won't but we have the vaccines which the supply will hopefully gear up in the next few weeks. Variants Variants is the new excuse and they dont want to open up society cause of it

Meanwhile the UK and most of Europe are getting ready to reopen society and take the risk but here its 'no no no cant be opening this and that'

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭ypres5

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Yet again NPHET are getting to much input on decisions

The numbers are not going down and prob won't but we have the vaccines which the supply will hopefully gear up in the next few weeks. Variants Variants is the new excuse and they dont want to open up society cause of it

Meanwhile the UK and most of Europe are getting ready to reopen society and take the risk but here its 'no no no cant be opening this and that'

And then you have people here telling you to walk 5km 6 times over. God knows when this is going to end

Posted about this another thread, but think people might in this thread might find it interesting too. I just came across this article: https://www.centralfifetimes.com/news/19189789.face-mask-rules-scotland-mandatory-coverings-eased/. In Scotland level 0 includes mask wearing.

"According to the Scottish Government’s website, “in all levels and settings”, we should follow “advice and requirements such as on the use of face coverings”.

Speaking on March 16 when she outlined Scotland’s route map out of the pandemic, the First Minister said that it is “hoped” that we could reach “at least Level 0” by the end of June.

Currently, guidance under Level 0 includes the mandatory wearing of face coverings on public transport and shops – unless you are exempt.

However, Ms Sturgeon said that “we hope we will be able to get beyond even that”, with a “view to restoring as much normality as possible”."

It's all rather vague, and I don't know what she means by 'we hope to be able to get beyond even that'. But 'as much normality as possible' seems to me to suggest that 'complete normality' isn't possible. But then 'we hope to be able to get beyond even that' (beyond level 0, I take it she means) suggests that it might be. It's vague.

The good thing is that there are a lot of countries in the world. I don't think a lot of people fancy Ronan Glynn's 'degree of normality' or Nicole Sturgeon's 'as much normality as possible' if it includes what Dr Mary Ramsay of PHE says are low level restrictions that people have got used to, i.e. mask wearing and social distancing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Locotastic

More and more people will refuse to wear masks if there is no reason to do it (as in the numbers of people dying or getting seriously ill is decreasing).

Interesting to read about the mask slackers and the anti mask league of the 1918 pandemic.

I just can't accept how easy we have complied with all of these restrictions, even when some made little sense.

The thoughts of a new normal fills me with dread and I sincerely hope that people take a personal stand against prolonged and unnecessary regulations.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

... A possible answer to how 'a well educated country slipped into this mess' is the lack of functioning Fourth Estate. It's no coincidence that the restrictions in Ireland are among the harshest in the world in the light of the media that exists in Ireland. ...

I would go as far as saying that the so-called 4th estate caused this mess to a large degree. Both in preventing a sober assessment of the initial threat and then later in the permanent and ongoing scaremongering.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,379 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

I would go as far as saying that the so-called 4th estate caused this mess to a large degree. Both in preventing a sober assessment of the initial threat and then later in the permanent and ongoing scaremongering.

The link between democracy and journalism has never been so evident.

With the death of functional journalism, comes the death of democracy

Can't even get a haircut here or god forbid stray beyond 5km, meanwhile in Barcelona.

"5000 people attended a gig last night in Barcelona after receiving negative results in same-day Covid testing".

https://www.thejournal.ie/5000-attend-gig-barcelona-5394496-Mar2021/

Watching the footage I am equally heartbroken and hopeful, we used to do things like this imagine!

That's true. And because there's no real opposition in the media (Gript is the closest thing to an alternative to The Irish Times et al, but isn't an established newspaper), which means that there's no balance, there's no real way to pushback. It doesn't help that Ireland is a very small country. In America you have two genuinely different political parties and there are ways for people to express their frustration and opposition via the media and via their political representatives. That's why the federal system is good, in my opinion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,007 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Apart from the countries closing down again because their hospitals are filling up again.

But in reality, we are actually reopening.

The majority of kids back at school, non covid health resumed and visitation to care homes restarted.

More easing on the 5th, ramp up of vaccinations in April - May - June.

Everyone is fatigued with the restrictions but the constant unfounded doom mongering and misery at this stage seems very intentional.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭manofwisdom

RGS wrote: »

Where are these 10,20km rumours coming from? Gov.ie states the travel restrictions are 5km, county only and no restrictions. To come up with 10 or 20km now will prove the government/nphet are making things up as they go along.

Locotastic wrote: »
    More and more people will refuse to wear masks if there is no reason to do it (as in the numbers of people dying or getting seriously ill is decreasing).

Interesting to read about the mask slackers and the anti mask league of the 1918 pandemic.

I just can't accept how easy we have complied with all of these restrictions, even when some made little sense.

The thoughts of a new normal fills me with dread and I sincerely hope that people take a personal stand against prolonged and unnecessary regulations.

You're right, but if the 'no mask, no entry' and 'mask required' signs are everywhere, and security guards outside of shops making sure people wear them, then it would be very difficult to get around. Unless you just did all of your shopping online, banking online, didn't bother with public transport, and didn't really go out all that much and instead got takeaways instead of going to the restaurant, it would be very difficult to avoid. And an online life isn't much of a life.

The good thing, as I say, is that there's a big world out there. It'll be interesting to see what happens in other countries. But mask-wearing being part of level 0 in Scotland suggests that it is considered a low level restriction, as Dr Ramsay of PHE said. I think it's the most difficult restriction, personally.

Boggles wrote: »
    Apart from the countries closing down again because their hospitals are filling up again.

But in reality, we are actually reopening.

The majority of kids back at school, non covid health resumed and visitation to care homes restarted.

More easing on the 5th, ramp up of vaccinations in April - May - June.

Everyone is fatigued with the restrictions but the constant unfounded doom mongering and misery at this stage seems very intentional.

What do you think of mask wearing being a feature of level 0 in Scotland's roadmap to normal life? I linked to an article about the roadmap. Nicola Sturgeon says that she wants to restore as much normality as possible. That suggests to me that she doesn't believe full normality is possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,987 ✭✭✭normanoffside

Locotastic wrote: »
    Can't even get a haircut here or god forbid stray beyond 5km, meanwhile in Barcelona.

"5000 people attended a gig last night in Barcelona after receiving negative results in same-day Covid testing".

https://www.thejournal.ie/5000-attend-gig-barcelona-5394496-Mar2021/

Watching the footage I am equally heartbroken and hopeful, we used to do things like this imagine!

The Dutch had a concert last week as well using the same method as Barcelona (same day antigen testing which NPHET are writing reports on while other countries are using it...)

https://twitter.com/fourfourmagazin/status/1373982201088475140

These are countries that are looking for solutions to giving people some liberty and pleasure back.
    Our rulers don't care about their people.

What do you think of mask wearing being a feature of level 0 in Scotland's roadmap to normal life? I linked to an article about the roadmap. Nicola Sturgeon says that she wants to restore as much normality as possible. That suggests to me that she doesn't believe full normality is possible.

I don't live in Scotland or have plans to visit there in the next forever.

So what do I think? Not a great deal TBH.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭Indestructable

So will there be a slew of eviction notices handed out on April 6th, considering that the eviction ban was tied up with the 5km legislation.

Shambolic stuff if this isn't addressed.

The Dutch had a concert last week as well using the same method as Barcelona (same day antigen testing which NPHET are writing reports on while other countries are using it...)

These are countries that are looking for solutions to giving people some liberty and pleasure back.

They are actually selling rapid covid tests in Aldi and Lidl in Germany. Affordable and available to everyone, while we still fumble around with 'mandatory quarantine' measures.

Promising to see other countries with an appetite for normal activities, at least there's always emigration (once we can get our passports back of course).

But those countries don't have expert health officials who appear daily in national news and media

NPHET are showing the world how great and informative they are

• Registered Users Posts: 9,771 ✭✭✭hynesie08

But those countries don't have expert health officials who appear daily in national news and media

NPHET are showing the world how great and informative they are

Yeah, it's big bad nphet, not the fact that running an outside concert in March in ireland with no bar would be financial suicide for the promoters.

• Advertisement

hynesie08 wrote: »
    Yeah, it's big bad nphet, not the fact that running an outside concert in March in ireland with no bar would be financial suicide for the promoters.

There's a bar in that Dutch concert and chipper vans too.
    Check out the video on the BBC story.

https://www.bbc.com/news/av/world-europe-56462200

So will there be a slew of eviction notices handed out on April 6th, considering that the eviction ban was tied up with the 5km legislation.

Shambolic stuff if this isn't addressed.

Yeah heard this eviction ban was tied into the 5 Kms so if they change the 5km do they change the legislation or what.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,771 ✭✭✭hynesie08

https://www.bbc.com/news/av/world-europe-56462200

Nice, hope it works out for them, but the uk tried something similar, as did parts of the US, and either people just ignored restrictions or the promoters lost their bollocks.

It could only work if the government were to provide a site free of charge and cover the insurance.

I still think we'll see outdoor gigs this summer, you could easily do 1000 at tables of 4-6 in the iveagh gardens.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭finalfurlong

lot of nphet want 2km according to reports.Irish times last week reported that cabinet could settle fo r 8 km as compromise between 5 and 10.An incredible mindset to be thinking along those lines.The real beauty is the sudden stretching out of times between rev iews to 6 weeks.So thats 5/8/10 km till may 17th and 20 km till june 28th.Next review would actually be in August.This is a total disgrace.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

From the tweet you embedded:
    The event was a pilot event to gather research and data

It will be interesting to see what the outcome is.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,086 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

lot of nphet want 2km according to reports.Irish times last week reported that cabinet could settle fo r 8 km as compromise between 5 and 10.An incredible mindset to be thinking along those lines.The real beauty is the sudden stretching out of times between rev iews to 6 weeks.So thats 5/8/10 km till may 17th and 20 km till june 28th.Next review would actually be in August.This is a total disgrace.

It's obvious that tighter restrictions are needed to bring our numbers down but the time to bring those restrictions in was back in January, not 3 months later!

Graham wrote: »
    From the tweet you embedded:

It will be interesting to see what the outcome is.

Yes Graham where did I say otherwise?
    They are using it as a study to see how they can bring back events safely.
    In other words they are looking at ways to let people do things that were previously considered normal.

On your last point you can be damn sur that the outcome will not be reported in the Irish media unless it turns out to have caused a lot of cases and deaths, so we will have to look elsewhere for the results.

Its laughable really

Any other nation have this logic, same logic as the €9 meal

Really? Could you link to these reports?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Natterjack from Kerry

2, 5, 8 arent really a runner as that would not facilitate golf, unless they add golf and tennis to the distance exempt list like food, work and medical. If its for exercise in general it wont make much difference anyway - how many people really got for 10-20 km walks or runs that they can do in the 5km limit anyway ? If they are going with the tennis and golf, which seem the most flagged changes along with construction, then extending the 5km but for those sports only is probably the practical way to frame it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement