Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part X *Read OP For Mod Warnings*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭prunudo

Graham wrote: »
    It's been on the cards for weeks so I've no idea why you think relaxing restrictions is suddenly some kind of new plan driven by an unknown mystery force.

2 weeks ago the numbers suggested we could safely meet people in our gardens yet that was deemed too dangerous, now all of a sudden, according to the leaks, they liftng a raft of restrictions.
    Don't get me wrong, its a welcome sign to see things opening up and hopefully returning to normal, but I'm confused by the rational behind their thinking.
    Also seems data not dates as gone the same way as their living with covid plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,227 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

It's been on the cards for weeks so I've no idea why you think relaxing restrictions is suddenly some kind of new plan driven by an unknown mystery force.

They want to see a conspiracy everywhere. Now that they're getting a relaxation in restrictions, they still want something to complain about.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Mother of God. Honestly, in a strange self-flagellating kind of way I admire how some people on here can just freely wander from one rationale to another without any apparent appreciation of the irony or contradiction. My friend, a matter of minutes ago, you called my post "tosh" for saying that lockdown was not based on just minimising infection but on minimising it to the extent hospitals could cope. Now, here you are, talking about cases being "manageable" rather than simply just being minimised.

If the strategy was about minimising Covid and saving as many lives as possible then we would not be reopening anything at all right now. Do you really not see the utter contradiction here between what you are saying now and what you were saying ..well...less than an hour ago?!

It's no wonder you called my post "tosh" if your opinions seem to change every ten minutes.

Arthur hate to break it to you but you're tying yourself in knots with endless spliting of what posters have said ito minutiae

But yes something can be both minimised and manageable. They are not incompatible

The strategy has also changed over time. Something you seen unaware of.

The endless essay why every else is wrong is a bit boring at this stage tbf.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭prunudo

Boggles wrote: »
    Screaming for a plan.

Get's a plan.

Screams at the plan.

Its a long time since I've followed their plans.
    As I've said its welcome to see thinks opening up, just their quick change of tune is strange.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

prunudo wrote: »
    2 weeks ago the numbers suggested we could safely meet people in our gardens yet that was deemed too dangerous, now all of a sudden, according to the leaks, they liftng a raft of restrictions.
    Don't get me wrong, its a welcome sign to see things opening up and hopefully returning to normal, but I'm confused by the rational behind their thinking.

Make a change, wait to see the impact, make a change, wait to see the impact, make a change, wait to see the impact.

You see how that might work?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 44 irishlad123456

Well i'm very positive about the "leaks" i can finally get down to Clare and see my old folks for the first time in over a year soon,
    i think maybe beer gardens could be opened alot earlier and into pubs earlier but at least it's progress.

Think you not seeing them in over a year is a personal choice not down to the government...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭Potatoeman

SAMTALK wrote: »
    It's by appointment only so there is control over numbers

Sure, but it will be back to back appointments. If the hairdresser gets infected by one person and is the spreader then they will infect more as they have a backlog of people to get through. Also after a couple of months on the COVID payment they may even keep working if sick to make up for loss of earnings. They never should have been shut for so long. It’s just going to lead to a jump upon reopening.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭ypres5

Fandymo wrote: »
    Maybe tell the Department of Foreign Affairs.

https://www.dfa.ie/passports/

The Passport Service has paused operations in line with the move to Level 5 of the Government's National Framework on Living with COVID-19 from 24 December 2020.

Boggles knows better than the department of foreign affairs

Its a long time since I've followed their plans.
    As I've said its welcome to see thinks opening up, just their quick change of tune is strange.

It seems strange, if your assumption was that they planned a very slow relaxation. Without having that assumption, its not so strange.

Its welcome, probably slightly quicker than I would have expected, and slightly slower than I would have hoped

If you want proof that the "pro-lockdown" stance expressed in this thread is nothing more than appeal to authority, you got it today. And that's being generous, it's probably more like support of authoritarianism.

Whereas outside of your odd alternative reality, some people recognise that our approach is working and we're now starting to see the safe easing of restrictions. Which is good isn't it :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Vaccine drive is getting quicker, also people are out now anyhow, so they might as well get on with it

ypres5 wrote: »

That recently published the number of passports issued over the last few months?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

Beanybabog wrote: »
    Are you in a cohort above the age group do you mind me asking? I was at the GP for my baby’s vaccines (not covid!) and I asked the nurse how it was going and they’re still working on their over 70s which sound depressingly slow. Heard the receptionists talking about cancelling appointments as no vaccines

No, I'm not in any cohort. Just over 50 and the only health risk to myself is myself. Jokin, no I'm reasonably healthy and active and I cant see any prioritisation being in play with me. There were dozens of others all round my age and maybe up to 10 or 15 years above. Didnt see anyone obviously younger than me.

It was dealt with pretty efficiently and swiftly and there wasn't much small talk but from what little I heard they simply had many 'overs' and once they had their cohort stuff done they just went down their patient list. I guess just got lucky.

I assume thats done by age but now I'm speculating.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,007 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Potatoeman wrote: »
    Sure, but it will be back to back appointments. If the hairdresser gets infected by one person and is the spreader then they will infect more as they have a backlog of people to get through. Also after a couple of months on the COVID payment they may even keep working if sick to make up for loss of earnings. They never should have been shut for so long. It’s just going to lead to a jump upon reopening.

So we should keep them closed?

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭zebastein

Did anybody read something about swimming pools ?
    I have seen gyms on the 7th June, but at some point last year swimming pools were considered less dangerous (usage of chlorine).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭SAMTALK

That can be said of anything opening surely ?

If they opened a month ago it would have been the same, but we have to hope that with vaccines and continued precautions things will get back to some normality.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,444 ✭✭✭robbiezero

Make a change, wait to see the impact, make a change, wait to see the impact, make a change, wait to see the impact.

You see how that might work?

Should have been doing it from 6 weeks ago, but I guess better late than later.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭W123-80's

The poster who put up the "we're supposed to be grateful for rotten apple cores tossed at us prison inmates" analogy deserves a medal. Donnelly had the audacity to boast about "a few nice things" being done for the public last night. Shows you how insulated the Government are from reality, a six-figure cushion affords that. Game of pure arrogance and manipulation, as you rightly point out Martin & Varadkar haven't strayed from the party line regarding "abundance of caution" next winter. If Éamon Ryan can casually admit that government policy is dictated by the whims of NPHET, what is stopping them from hiding behind Tony, Glynn et al for remainder of 2021. They need an almighty clatter to the rear, a general election would sharply remind them whose interests they were elected to serve. We've been dangled long enough, pushing out indoor hospitality until July at earliest is the definition of cowardice.

Na, its not cowardice to hold off on indoor dining. Its simply common sense.
    You can't have an indoor pint in England for another 2 weeks (May 15th).
    They are ahead of us in their vaccine rollout.

Like I have said on this thread before, assuming it all works well for them in terms of efficacy, hospitalisations and variants it is good news for us and we won't be far behind them.

Todays news certainly suggests things are looking good. We are not far behind the UK with a July date for an indoor pint.

I am delighted with todays news. It's been a tough few months.
    We are getting there.

That recently published the number of passports issued over the last few months?

Only in exceptional circumstances, someone quoted the DFA in the post I was responding to so please keep up Graham

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭M_Murphy57

Vaccine drive is getting quicker, also people are out now anyhow, so they might as well get on with it

Also we are completely and utterly broke, have spent our 2021 covid budget already , have been told theres no more cash to pay pup and "troika style" budget cuts will be needed to get us out of this hole.

No more money to pay the Pup or give Grant's to businesses to stay closed = rapid change in reopening timetable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭RebelButtMunch

TomSweeney wrote: »
    btw to all the people **** over India, India has 244x the population of Ireland, India had 3,500 deaths yesterday, Ireland had 12 .... quite similar in proportion, the media are hyping it as they are using absolute numbers.

Because India are definitely not underreporting...

So we should keep them closed?

They should have been opened after a month or two. They were closed for two long. Same as shops, they closed them for too long so when they reopen they will be busier than ever. This isn’t even considering the amount of businesses that won’t be able to reopen at all and the loss of tax revenue from these.

I most certainly don't, But I imagine the head of that Department does.
    Mr Coveney told RTÉ radio’s Morning Ireland that 430,000 passports had been processed during the pandemic and that as Minister he had responsibility for people working within the Department of Foreign Affairs.

Because of health and safety recommendations on maintaining distance only a third of staff had been able to work “on the floor” processing passport applications, he explained.

While there was a backlog of 90,000 applications when the Passport Office was “fully up and running” they could process 120,000 applications in a week.

He said: "I expect that we can clear the backlog within weeks.

That was in response to a poster saying they had stopped compeltely.

Again, you'll need to take it up with Simon or produce your own figures to refute his.
    Only in exceptional circumstances, someone quoted the DFA in the post I was responding to so please keep up Graham

Indeed.

Maybe if you stopped insulting everyone in literally everyone of your posts and paid closer attention to what is been posted you may learn something.

Who knows.

Some amount of exceptions for a department you're insisting was closed but obviously facts are of limited relevance to whatever point it is you're trying to prove/disprove.

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭M_Murphy57

Because India are definitely not underreporting...

People of colour also have a higher chance of dying from covid statistically speaking. I'd be amazed if (accurate) figures showed our death rates were the same, sadly.

They should have been opened after a month or two. They were closed for two long. Same as shops, they closed them for too long so when they reopen they will be busier than ever. This isn’t even considering the amount of businesses that won’t be able to reopen at all and the loss of tax revenue from these.

Yeah, I know all that is your opinion. We can't change the past.

Your claim is they is going to be a wave of infection from opening them now, so the only prudent thing to do would be keep them closed.

I'm just following your logic here.

Maybe if you stopped insulting everyone in literally everyone of your posts and paid closer attention to what is been posted you may learn something.

I think some are finding it hard to accept that restrictions are being eased, the visions of their dystopian fantasy that have been cobbled together over months are disintegrating before us.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,771 ✭✭✭hynesie08

I applied online and received my passport in 4 days, so did a lot of people on the threads in AH and travel, so yeah, definitely processing them.

I most certainly don't, But I imagine the head of that Department does.

That was in response to a poster saying they had stopped compeltely.

Again, you'll need to take it up with Simon or produce your own figures to refute his.

Indeed.

Who knows.

You criticizing someone else for being insulting is hilarious boggles. Passport applications have been closed bar exceptional circumstances for months the DFA themselves have said so and people who sent in passports as part of their child's application were awaiting the return of theirs. This lazy effort to rewrite past events by you and graham is ridiculous

• Advertisement

Yeah, I know all that is your opinion. We can't change the past.

Your claim is they is going to be a wave of infection from opening them now, so the only prudent thing to do would be keep them closed.

I'm just following your logic here.

No, reopen then close after the next spike and open again after a month. We’ve been at 400-600 for two months. They need to be practical.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement