Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part X *Read OP For Mod Warnings*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,365 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

Something not quite matching up here, there is a big backlog, confirmed 2 hours ago:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.irishexaminer.com/news/politics/arid-40277363.html%3ftype=amp

• Registered Users Posts: 10,227 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

corcaigh07 wrote: »
    Something not matching up here, there is a big backlog, confirmed 2 hours ago:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.irishexaminer.com/news/politics/arid-40277363.html%3ftype=amp

It's literally there in the third paragraph
    Because of health and safety recommendations on maintaining distance only a third of staff had been able to work “on the floor” processing passport applications, he explained.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,771 ✭✭✭hynesie08

corcaigh07 wrote: »
    Something not matching up here, there is a big backlog, confirmed 2 hours ago:

Postal applications, completely unnecessary in 2021.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭ypres5

hynesie08 wrote: »
    You're literally refusing to listen to facts though.

As linked by corcaigh above, would there be a 90k backlog of they were being processed as normal?

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭Sobit1964

Probably recently in the past month or so started sending them out again, that would tally with their website, the posters who said they were closed and couldn't get a passport, and the poster who clearly received his this month.

• Advertisement

ypres5 wrote: »
    As linked by corcaigh above, would there be a 90k backlog of they were being processed as normal?

Put down the goalposts lad, you were claiming no non emergency processing was being done.

And we end up with a backlog in applications every time the flu hits the office.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭themacattack.

heading the right direction now,lockdowns hopefully will never ever be considered as a way of managing covid...would not fully trust the government but confidant enough that no european country will impose level 5 style restrictions again if vaccines do their job which its more or less been demonstrated that they do.

why would any country need to close any industry again if there is a collapse in hospitlisations and deaths...there can be any amount of cases but its moot if the end result is largely a few days with a bit of a cough ...and will people still go for covid tests if they suspect they have it but they know passing it on is no biggy...obviously you will have to if you want to travel.

every day something is opened now is a good day moving forward as the theory is once they are open they will stay open...one negative is allowing hotels have indoor dining which of course they should but only allowing pubs and restaurants outdoor dining until july....if true its once again the irish government showing their lack of common sense..why in the name of christ is it ok to sit indoors in a hotel and drink and eat but not in a pub...hopefully they will face a backlash on that one...

travel within europe is now looking more and more likely with the green certificate and looks like dopey,sneaky and sleepy are making positive noises about that..the penny has dropped that we need an aviation industry.

still believe this was the biggest over-reaction in human history and people in the future will be wondering what we were all smoking but this is a positive day just to get moving forward now,no more dilly dallying

Galwayhurl wrote: »
    Can't believe people are still saying that the Passport Office was only processing urgent applications.

The fact is, they were processing all applications that were:

a. online applications
    b. for renewals of
    c. biometric passports

That is passports that have a number beginning with PC or PL. Which is pretty much every passport that has been produced since the mid noughties onwards.

I applied online for mine on a Tuesday at 3 p.m. The passport arrived at my apartment delivered by An Post at 10.30 a.m. on Thursday morning. Less than 48 hours.

Amazing service.

The only applications that are in the backlog are brand new, first time, non-urgent applications.

I was going to renew my passport as it expired earlier in the year, and you never know when you might need it even though I dont anticipate requiring it this year at least, but didn't bother as stupidly I believed what was written in this thread and never bothered to confirm it for myself. I wont make that mistake again

Sobit1964 wrote: »
    Probably recently in the past month or so started sending them out again, that would tally with their website, the posters who said they were closed and couldn't get a passport, and the poster who clearly received his this month.

Online applications only touch human hands when they're put in the envelope. Postal ones have to be checked for things like spelling mistakes and dob issues, there's a backlog, but it's all postal.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

• Advertisement

I was going to renew my passport as it expired earlier in the year, and you never know when you might need it even though I dont anticipate requiring it this year at least, but didn't bother as stupidly I believed what was written in this thread and never bothered to confirm it for myself. I wont make that mistake again

Passport online, get the magic photo code and make sure everything is spelled correctly and you'll be golden.

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭Sobit1964

hynesie08 wrote: »
    Online applications only touch human hands when they're put in the envelope. Postal ones have to be checked for things like spelling mistakes and dob issues, there's a backlog, but it's all postal.

Makes sense - probably explains other posters issues which iirc related to first passports for children which would require more 'hands on' contact.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

ypres5 wrote: »
    No thanks, I prefer to take a broader view of things than find one small scrap of evidence to suit my argument and brandish it around. But you enjoy your own little fantasy world graham if it helps you feel better

This must be awkward

551754.png

is_that_so wrote: »

Big whoop, undefined timelines naturally so the government can't break their umpteenth promise. Specific dates for June, July & August or take a hike MM.

Sobit1964 wrote: »
    Makes sense - probably explains other posters issues which iirc related to first passports for children which would require more 'hands on' contact.

Yeah, they seem to be implying the majority of issues are first time applicants from the UK, which obviously requires a lot more effort.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,110 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Allowing hotel restaurants to have indoor dining but not a standalone restaurant is not fair. I can see a climb down there

• Registered Users Posts: 989 ✭✭✭Stormyteacup

Graham wrote: »
    This must be awkward

551754.png

Okay so during the current restrictions 40,000 passports have been processed. The service resumed at some point in March after being paused on December 24th completely.

It’s a fact that passport renewals were paused completely for a period of time - this is not contrary to what you have posted.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,690 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Gael23 wrote: »
    Allowing hotel restaurants to have indoor dining but not a standalone restaurant is not fair. I can see a climb down there

Ha! Yea more crazy non-science, we should be used to it by now from this Govt. It makes as much sense as the €9 meal rule to have a beer....and the 2hr time limit..

They clear the difference between food and non food pubs, then allow dining indoors if you stay at a hotel but not if you don't!! :eek: :D

• Registered Users Posts: 31,067 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    Ha! Yea more crazy non-science, we should be used to it by now from this Govt. It makes as much sense as the €9 meal rule to have a beer....

They clear the difference between food and non food pubs, then allow dining indoors if you stay at a hotel but not if you don't!! :eek: :D

Maybe the idea is that if people can only eat in the hotel they're staying in, there will be less mixing between households?

Lumen wrote: »
    Maybe the idea is that if people can only eat in the hotel they're staying in, there will be less mixing between households?

Nah sure the Virus doesn't know the difference between hotel and non-hotel guests at a restaurant...

...more like a ploy to have people book a room at a hotel just so they can have dinner and drinks indoors....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,110 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Lumen wrote: »

But it’s allowing certain restaurants to trade and not others. You can’t do that it’s anti competitive as well

Ha! Yea more crazy non-science, we should be used to it by now from this Govt. It makes as much sense as the €9 meal rule to have a beer....and the 2hr time limit..

The difference is a resident in a hotel does not have the option to cook at home, therefore needs to eat in the hotel

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

heading the right direction now,lockdowns hopefully will never ever be considered as a way of managing covid...would not fully trust the government but confidant enough that no european country will impose level 5 style restrictions again if vaccines do their job which its more or less been demonstrated that they do.

why would any country need to close any industry again if there is a collapse in hospitlisations and deaths...there can be any amount of cases but its moot if the end result is largely a few days with a bit of a cough ..and will people still go for covid tests if they suspect they have it but they know passing it on is no biggy...obviously you will have to if you want to travel.

every day something is opened now is a good day moving forward as the theory is once they are open they will stay open...one negative is allowing hotels have indoor dining which of course they should but only allowing pubs and restaurants outdoor dining until july....if true its once again the irish government showing their lack of common sense..why in the name of christ is it ok to sit indoors in a hotel and drink and eat but not in a pub...hopefully they will face a backlash on that one...

travel within europe is now looking more and more likely with the green certificate and looks like dopey,sneaky and sleepy are making positive noises about that..the penny has dropped that we need an aviation industry.

still believe this was the biggest over-reaction in human history and people in the future will be wondering what we were all smoking but this is a positive day just to get moving forward now,no more dilly dallying

Funny there seems to be entire countries which disagree with you...

https://www.dw.com/en/coronavirus-germanys-emergency-brake-rules-take-effect/a-57321750
    ...looks like dopey,sneaky and sleepy are making positive noises

Calling people stupid names - whether you like them or otherwise is puerile btw

• Registered Users Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭mohawk

Gael23 wrote: »

I could swear that happened back in October or maybe December (can’t remember which). We had a weekend away and had to eat in hotel as restaurants were closed.

It’s not fair but most pubs outside Dublin got three weeks open last year while gastropubs got months.

Personally I can see their logic in trying to keep dining outdoors for as long as possible. The longer they leave it the more of us will be vaccinated. I would rather the current plan then keeping hotels closed until they bring in indoor dining to restaurants and pubs. I don’t think they will move date for indoor dining up to June.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,365 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

TBF, any hotel that has been open this year (for essential guests) has been serving food and drink in their bar or restaurant, nothing new here at all bar the fact that there will be more guests staying from June 2nd.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,117 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Looked up hotel that's good for families for 11th June that we have stayed in before, 1 night b&b €364! they are looking to make up lost revenue. Can't blame them, but it is a killer price, won't be happening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭themacattack.

gozunda wrote: »
    Funny there seems to be entire countries which disagree with you...

https://www.dw.com/en/coronavirus-germanys-emergency-brake-rules-take-effect/a-57321750

Calling people stupid names - whether you like them or otherwise is puerile btw
    Stupid is as stupid does....
    im looking forward to oktoberfest in september? do you think ill make it?prost!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭darconio

timmyntc wrote: »
    Passport applications were never closed, sure Boggles saw them being issued all over the place on his walk!

Along with construction and building sites

The difference is a resident in a hotel does not have the option to cook at home, therefore needs to eat in the hotel

What's that got to do with the Virus? LOL! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭SAMTALK

Fandymo wrote: »
    There was literally a statement on the front page of the DFA website stating that no passports, except emergency passports, were being processed during level 5, i provided the link. Do you think they were hacked? :rolleyes:

https://twitter.com/PassportIRL/status/1370414426730430466 Here's their Twitter hacked too. :rolleyes:

I worked in the passport office for 2 years when I was younger. I never seen Brian Cowen in the office. Met him at the Christmas party though.

Sorry I can't put up link but maybe look at tweet on 23rd march as well where it says 1600 urgent passports and 150 emergency passports this year. also adult renewals of 20,000 .

Cherry picking ?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement