Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part X *Read OP For Mod Warnings*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭timmyntc

gozunda wrote: »
    Ah so back to the game of things which were NEVER said

Nope. I made NO mention of "hospitality" whatsoever. I can find no reference to 'schools'

Here the quote again - in context of the poster I was replying to wanting a full reopening with no restrictions whatsoever. I even acknowledged we weren't at 50% but we were rolling back restrictions already.

Do you want to let it rip timmyntc? Is that the idea you're pushing?

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

rob316 wrote: »
    I'm sure NPHET wanted this farce to go on longer. Its still not quick enough though, there is no science behind keeping outdoor hospitality closed for another month. Why couldn't the 10th be brought forward to the 4th?
    Bank Holiday is why. NPHET don't do BHs!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭timmyntc

charlie14 wrote: »
    I did say here some time ago, half jokingly, that it felt as if certain posters were actually desperate to keep us locked down permanently as they would have nothing to crib and cry about otherwise.
    From skimming through posts since these proposed measures were first mooted last night it looks is if I was only half right.
    The whiff of desperation from some here since is palpable.

It looks as if you have spent so long here moaning about lockdown the rest of the world has passed you by.
    The science is not secret. It`s there for anyone who wishes to see it in the data from the U.K. and Israel on opening up based on vaccination levels.

The science that is not there, or if it is it is a secret known only to you and a select few others rooftop shouters based on data of low numbers and low vaccination levels for opening up everything right away.

Don`t be selfish. Do tell please.

People who proposed the very same measures as the govt have now based on the same data were told it was too risky and would get out of control - yet now its totally okay and science backed?

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭FlubberJones

is_that_so wrote: »
    It's just the large number of different sectors and not wanting to open too many at the same time. Remember last year it took us about 2 months to open everything. June 7 is only a further few weeks.

Fair point, shame the gym took the short straw.... Understand its only a few more weeks, I've wasted away over the last 4 months, so I'll just have to wait

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

timmyntc wrote: »
    :pac:

Well you're clearly deliberately misquoting posters to try and prove something or other but its really not clear what that is tbh.

So thats a question...

Unlike the stuff you posted which was NEVER said.

So again the question timmyntc is - do want to let it rip?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

PTH2009 wrote: »

Can quite understand hotels and guest houses opening up on the 2nd but dining / bars not until the 7th. I thought it would make more sense to open both of those on the same day?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Can quite understand hotels and guest houses opening up on the 2nd but dining / bars not until the 7th. I thought it would make more sense to open both of those on the same day?

My guess would be to avoid a bank holiday weekend with packed beer gardens.

If the weather is nice I predict a lot of people taking days off that week :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭the kelt

I can just imagine the insults being flung at the ref.

"Why should I go back 10 yards"
    "I should be able to handle the ball where I choose"
    "Shin pads are completely ineffective, show me the scientific evidence"

People who defend restrictions all the time love VAR!!

Fact :D

• Registered Users Posts: 28,845 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Anthony Staines on NT now still trying to push the doom angle. He's not happy that he's becoming even more irrelevant.

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭11521323

Graham wrote: »
    My guess would be to avoid a bank holiday weekend with packed beer gardens.

If the weather is nice I predict a lot of people taking days off that week :)

You said yesterday too that we're being cautious to avoid another lockdown, can you please tell me what would justify another lockdown when we'll have all the vulnerable vaccinated by the end of May?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭TheDoctor

I'd like to book annual leave for June 8th, 9th, 10th and 11th please.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,993 ✭✭✭Theboinkmaster

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    Anthony Staines on NT now still trying to push the doom angle. He's not happy that he's becoming even more irrelevant.

Yeah I can’t stand him and frustrating the other people on radio didnt challenge him much - using Chile as an example of what could happen here and nobody calling him out on their ****e vaccine so not comparable etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,047 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

11521323 wrote: »
    You said yesterday too that we're being cautious to avoid another lockdown, can you please tell me what would justify another lockdown when we'll have all the vulnerable vaccinated by the end of May?

India - a godsend of an argument that trumps all with no need for awkward explanations. /s

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,422 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

I've just deleted about 80 posts where I could have issued cards and bans for nearly half the thread for off topic bickering about passports, willy-waving about who was right and who was wrong and outright moronic ranting from both sides. Folks can we calm it down a bit, there's no need for the hostilities. Discuss the topic in a civil manner or don't post here, sanctions will follow if people don't wind their necks in

11521323 wrote: »
    You said yesterday too that we're being cautious to avoid another lockdown

We have been cautious.

That's why we've been in a position to ease restrictions over the last few/coming weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,091 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

timmyntc wrote: »
    People who proposed the very same measures as the govt have now based on the same data were told it was too risky and would get out of control - yet now its totally okay and science backed?

I have no idea where you got that from. It certainly wasn`t from me or anyone else I have seen who posted here who believed re-opening should be based on the data from the the U.K. staged re-opening based on vaccination levels.

What I have seen is myself and others who believed that was the appropriate course to follow telling quite a few here we believed that just opening up everything at once based on just low numbers and no data on doing so at low levels of vaccination was not just risky, but foolhardy.

In other words the complete opposite of what you are saying

• Registered Users Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭rolling boh

Don't worry there will be a few experts to point out any worrying trends and advise caution so another lockdown can't be ruled out hopefully they will be sidelined this time round .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Leftwaffe

Don't worry there will be a few experts to point out any worrying trends and advise caution so another lockdown can't be ruled out hopefully they will be sidelined this time round .

I’m firmly believe there will be another lockdown. Probably October. You’ll see that Martin won’t make any guarantees at 6pm. I was called ridiculous here this morning for it but I think it’s naive to think there won’t be one.

Edit: Not trying to be negative here. I hope I am wrong.

Leftwaffe wrote: »
    I’m firmly believe there will be another lockdown. Probably October. You’ll see that Martin won’t make any guarantees at 6pm. I was called ridiculous here this morning for it but I think it’s naive to think there won’t be one.

It wouldn't be particularly sensible to guarantee anything at this stage unless you possess a crystal ball.

Personally I'm hoping we're starting from a sufficiently low base in terms of case numbers that the vaccination program will keep a lid on the inevitable rise in numbers as we reopen things over the coming weeks/months.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭ArthurDayne

Well that's good for you. But the fact is your ideas on the Governments Strategy don't stand up to scrutiny or even the fact the strategy has also changed over time. Something you seen unaware of.

And yes I read that correctly. The poster had detailed that both minimisation and managment were involved which you identified as being somehow contradictory. Even though that's clearly not the case.

I'll leave you at it.

Right, if the policy was minimisation, what was the threshold to which it was being minimised?

We know it wasn’t to the extent of elimination / Zero Covid, and we know it wasn’t to the extent of “as low as possible” because (a) if it were, the measures would have been even stricter and / or violation penalties harsher (b) people were still being allowed to enter the country without strict measures like mandatory hotel quarantine and (c) there were reopenings which invariably involved the tolerance of a rise in cases.

More evidence? There were 370 new cases reported yesterday and 13 deaths, and the government is pushing forward reopening despite the fact that it probably means more cases and at least some more deaths. So to say that the strategy is about minimisation is complete nonsense — there is clearly a tolerance threshold for allowing Covid infections to spread to at least some extent (just as there has been for a year because of the non-pursuit of Zero Covid and periodic reopening of the country).

What you and Charlie are pushing here is an entirely self-serving fantasy argument where “minimising Covid” just magically means whatever you need it to mean on a given day. That way you can justify pretty much any restriction without having to give any thought about whether it is proportionate.

So answer the question, when the government was pursuing a strategy of minimising Covid, what threshold was considered tolerable?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,091 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

Leftwaffe wrote: »

Edit: Not trying to be negative here. I hope I am wrong.

I suppose there is very little that is impossible, but unless there is something from this virus we have not seen to date I would doubt it.
    These vaccines have very high efficacy. Especially for serious symptoms and deaths and by October everyone that wants or can avail of a vaccine will have been vaccinated.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,878 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Just listening to rte radio and Stephen Donnelly has said the dates for reopening in June is conditional on a good may.

Martin already dishing out the paranoia:

"We have to monitor the issue closely of dangerous new variants"

• Registered Users Posts: 9,771 ✭✭✭hynesie08

It's amazing how much better a speaker Michael is when it's good news.

He has some hope of people obeying these limits on visits and such. Still far too cautious and slow.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,976 ✭✭✭✭JRant

He has some hope of people obeying these limits on visits and such. Still far too cautious and slow.

I had a little chuckle at that one. Completely detached from reality.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Registered Users Posts: 39,878 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

I’d say he and the government aren’t over the shock of Christmas cock up.

He really is the John Major of Ireland (absent the token Irish bit at the end here)

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭greensausage

Any sign of indoor pints??

• Advertisement

hynesie08 wrote: »
    It's amazing how much better a speaker Michael is when it's good news.

He's been studying videos of Joe Biden.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement