Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part X *Read OP For Mod Warnings*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,845 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Any sign of indoor pints??

Didn't hear anything unless I missed it. Prresume that'll be the May into June update?

• Registered Users Posts: 38,321 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Nicely positive

Jesus he's getting corny now

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    He has some hope of people obeying these limits on visits and such. Still far too cautious and slow.

He qualified that the June reopening phase of outdoor hospitality is dependent upon May being successful. Which offers them licence to keep pushing it back like last summer. And not a single passing mention of indoor. Big smirk on his face, what a mediocre speaker and man.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,422 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

July I reckon. Good few things on the agenda for reopening from 5th July

No mention yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭greensausage

Didn't hear anything unless I missed it. Prresume that'll be the May into June update?

Yea must be, its just been ignored for now

• Registered Users Posts: 12,976 ✭✭✭✭JRant

So we are slowly opening up but we seem to be opening up with quite severe restrictions on numbers etc. When are we going to start opening up properly? What is the bloody long term plan here?

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭DellyBelly

Very positive. Fantastic news.. Its getting better not long till we get back to normality

• Registered Users Posts: 6,674 ✭✭✭Allinall

He has some hope of people obeying these limits on visits and such. Still far too cautious and slow.

There’s a lot more socially responsible people than you might like to think.

JRant wrote: »
    So we are slowly opening up but we seem to be opening up with quite severe restrictions on numbers etc. When are we going to start opening up properly? What is the bloody long term plan here?

Hold firm?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,878 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Nope. Outdoor pints maybe but our weather being what it is, it’ll be pints in warm rain maybe.

Can we put George Lee out to pasture..... Dooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooom!! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Right, if the policy was minimisation, what was the threshold to which it was being minimised? We know it wasn’t to the extent of elimination / Zero Covid, and we know it wasn’t to the extent of “as low as possible” because (a) if it were, the measures would have been even stricter and / or violation penalties harsher (b) people were still being allowed to enter the country without strict measures like mandatory hotel quarantine and (c) there were reopenings which invariably involved the tolerance of a rise in cases.

More evidence? There were 370 new cases reported yesterday and 13 deaths, and the government is pushing forward reopening despite the fact that it probably means more cases and at least some more deaths. So to say that the strategy is about minimisation is complete nonsense — there is clearly a tolerance threshold for allowing Covid infections to spread (just as there has been for a year because of the non-pursuit of Zero Covid and periodic reopening of the country). What you and Charlie are pushing here is an entirely self-serving fantasy argument where “minimising Covid” just magically means whatever you need it to mean on a given day. That way you can justify pretty much any restriction without having to give any thought about whether it is proportionate.

So answer the question, when the government was pursuing a strategy of minimising Covid, what threshold was considered tolerable?

Nope. You really need to stop trying to prove so many things that you end up disproving them all instead.

And yes the policy has been to minimise the rate of infection. We clearly can't do zero covid due to a range of factors already much discussed in this thread.

But what we can do and have done is minimise / keep down the rate of infection. And we can clearly see that policy has worked as overall we have had a low infection rate and deaths compared to other countries.
    Could we ever reduce those figures to zeo? I somehow doubt it. You obviously think otherwise. As to your idea of a "tolerable threshold"? Why do you believe that somehow can be measured?

Do the restrictions to date justify where we are atm ? I believe they do. The current roll back of restrictions has been only made possible by our current low rate of infection but more importantly something new which you are oddly ignoring - vaccination.

And thats where we are.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,422 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Can we put George Lee out to pasture..... Dooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooom!! :rolleyes:

Tbf, they didn't keep him on long so maybe, just maybe they're reading the room correctly :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

So hotels can't serve food or drink for a week were it will be outdoors only then.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

Now we just need to stop with the obsessive reporting of case numbers every day and we’re away with it

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭peterc1991

Martin already dishing out the paranoia:

"We have to monitor the issue closely of dangerous new variants"

Its amazing the amount of people who go on about scaremongering negativity and paranoia. When in facts they are the people everytime that bring these things up.

Like its a common sense phrase by MM and this guy has turned the paranioa agenda on it. It's like these people can never be happy yet they claim to be the ones who the opposite. And all it does is drive people to argue and doesnt help anything.

py2006 wrote: »
    So hotels can't serve food or drink for a week were it will be outdoors only then.

They can, just to guests only so if you want a few pints for the bank holiday best book a room somewhere :D

Now we just need to stop with the obsessive reporting of case numbers every day and we’re away with it

Honestly think a weekly update* is all that's required. Case numbers are largely irrelevant and have been for about two months now since the vulnerable were getting vaccinated properly.

Hospital and ICU numbers are the key, even when we have 80% vaccinated at some point in the future there will likely be cases.

Give NPHET a Tuesday evening each week to give the weekly figures and that's all they get

*Of course the media would be up in arms not being able to report their daily dose of doom so it likely won't happen

• Registered Users Posts: 32,715 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

I literally tune out in my head when I see see George Misery.... much prefer Fergal Bowers far more balanced and less doom and gloom

• Advertisement

No MM fan but....I thought he spoke quite well

• Registered Users Posts: 26,977 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Positive news but typically convoluted, ironic 474 more cases and 3 deaths announced as the Taoiseach spoke so whilst hospitalisation down, numbers of new cases not so down.

I don't get these various permissions as to who can visit another person's house, it's a nonsense and besides who monitors this.

I'm sure pubs and restaurants thrilled at the notion of out door service, they might get a few weeks of decent weather. The pronouncement by the HSE of 250k Vacinnes next week is probably fantasy, but we'll see.

Salons and barber's by appointment? Yeah, that's really going to happen and of course salons & barber's will turn away those naughty clients who haven't booked.

So hard to know, hard to see what's going to happen but with that mysterious and quite frankly nonsensical notion of €15 billion in personal savings waiting to be spent, I'm sure the economy will be fine, I've just ordered a Rolex myself (NOT)

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

Aviation person on radio not at all happy with what was announced. He can’t understand why there isn’t a roadmap for them as an industry.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,321 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Disappointed we don't have a 'real plan' for post June only the usual 'we'll see'

• Registered Users Posts: 11,303 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Gyms and swimming pools opening the same day as outdoor hospitality.

I know what activity I'll be pursuing.

Swimming.....in pints.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,977 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Aviation person on radio not at all happy with what was announced. He can’t understand why there isn’t a roadmap for them as an industry.

It wasn't Michael O Leary by any chance :)

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

Oh the same aviation person(airline ceo) took a less than vailed shot at eamonn Ryan.

Yes spotted coming soon to Northern Ireland...(24th may)

Dempo1 wrote: »
    It wasn't Michael O Leary by any chance :)

No.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

I don't believe them numbers anymore

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement