Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part X *Read OP For Mod Warnings*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,771 ✭✭✭hynesie08

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Its laughable really

Any other nation have this logic, same logic as the €9 meal

Tonnes, but instead of an arbitrary distance, they use regions, townships, or counties. The uk called it tiers.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Yes Graham where did I say otherwise?
    They are using it as a study to see how they can bring back events safely.
    In other words they are looking at ways to let people do things that were previously considered normal.

Little odd to be experimenting on the population but like I said, it will be interesting to see the results.
    On your last point you can be damn sur that the outcome will not be reported in the Irish media unless it turns out to have caused a lot of cases and deaths, so we will have to look elsewhere for the results.

That just comes across a bit too conspiracy theory tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Locotastic

2, 5, 8 arent really a runner as that would not facilitate golf, unless they add golf and tennis to the distance exempt list like food, work and medical. If its for exercise in general it wont make much difference anyway - how many people really got for 10-20 km walks or runs that they can do in the 5km limit anyway ? If they are going with the tennis and golf, which seem the most flagged changes along with construction, then extending the 5km but for those sports only is probably the practical way to frame it.

How about no limit, I know mind-blowing!

Who even listens to this nonsense any more? Waiting to be told how far you can go, ridiculous carry on now.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,086 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

Its laughable really

The €9 meal stopped the majority of people doing pub crawls so wasn't an auful idea... Of course if we go back to when it was introduced nphet wanted restaurants (in the traditional sense) opened and the bars to stay shut

• Registered Users Posts: 5,895 ✭✭✭JDxtra

lot of nphet want 2km according to reports.
    NPHET would be quite content to recommend that we imprison ourselves in our own homes. They are a disgrace who are out of control with power, fed by a weak government and hysteria (thanks to RTE, click bait news & social media).

Anything less than full freedom of movement is nothing to be celebrated. We need our freedom back, this has dragged on far too long and we're actually no better off.

• Advertisement

Boggles wrote: »
    I don't live in Scotland or have plans to visit there in the next forever.

So what do I think? Not a great deal TBH.

But if it's part of level 0 in Scotland then chances are it will be in Ireland too considering the UK is our nearest neighbour and Ireland has basically followed the same approach as the UK for about a year now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭RobitTV

Chief Executive of the Irish Vinters Federation sends a letter to RTE about George Lee and the stream of misinformation regarding the pub industry (which is currently shut)

They aren't holding back this time...

165939261_10158374194552060_4264344803572517541_o.jpg?_nc_cat=103&ccb=1-3&_nc_sid=8bfeb9&_nc_ohc=FmP9XZG1NroAX8Zy2rz&_nc_ht=scontent.fdub4-1.fna&oh=8b91a9683194d4482f1f3e06b51e4956&oe=60869969

• Registered Users Posts: 5,876 ✭✭✭Russman

2, 5, 8 arent really a runner as that would not facilitate golf, unless they add golf and tennis to the distance exempt list like food, work and medical. If its for exercise in general it wont make much difference anyway - how many people really got for 10-20 km walks or runs that they can do in the 5km limit anyway ? If they are going with the tennis and golf, which seem the most flagged changes along with construction, then extending the 5km but for those sports only is probably the practical way to frame it.

I think the travel restriction will go to county boundary or 20km, whichever is greatest, and it won’t be enforced at all. Whatever about the reasoning on the 5km, which was simply intended to stop people moving about, once they go to larger distances it’s largely irrelevant imo. Realistically, who is going to travel 20km just for exercise ? Some of course, but not too many I’d say. Plenty will do it for other reasons, as is happening now anyway.

If they make golf and tennis special cases (as a golfer I’d be all over that !) everyone will just throw the clubs in the boot of the car and say they’re on their way to play golf if questioned.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,409 ✭✭✭Tork

Its laughable really

The UK tried to implement a "substantial meal" rule but that got tied up in confusion about what exactly that was. https://news.sky.com/story/covid-19-what-is-a-substantial-meal-minister-says-scotch-egg-counts-as-pubs-brace-for-tier-change-12143814

The logic behind it was to try and stop people going out on the lash, getting drunk and not keeping within their bubble. We now know that publicans and punters found all sorts of creative ways around these rules.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,845 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

JDxtra wrote: »
    NPHET would be quite content to recommend that we imprison ourselves in our own homes. They are a disgrace who are out of control with power, fed by a weak government and hysteria (thanks to RTE, click bait news & social media).

Anything less than full freedom of movement is nothing to be celebrated. We need our freedom back, this has dragged on far too long and we're actually no better off.

At this stage I wonder if we'll have to wait till the Government collapses or expires and a general election is called before we will get our rights back.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,397 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

It has to be at least countywide. Anything else is meaningless.

If it's not countywide, expect to see increased numbers ignoring the rules. 22 weeks out of the past 25 have been spent under glorified house arrest. Enough is enough.

RobitTV wrote: »
    Chief Executive of the Irish Vinters Federation sends a letter to RTE about George Lee and the stream of misinformation regarding the pub industry (which is currently shut)

165939261_10158374194552060_4264344803572517541_o.jpg?_nc_cat=103&ccb=1-3&_nc_sid=8bfeb9&_nc_ohc=FmP9XZG1NroAX8Zy2rz&_nc_ht=scontent.fdub4-1.fna&oh=8b91a9683194d4482f1f3e06b51e4956&oe=60869969

I would say it's nice to see them find their balls, but the rai already sent that letter and got mugged off, so nothing is going to happen here either.

marno21 wrote: »
    It has to be at least countywide. Anything else is meaningless.

If it's not countywide, expect to see increased numbers ignoring the rules. 22 weeks out of the past 25 have been spent under glorified house arrest. Enough is enough.

In the last 14 days there were over 3,000 cases in Dublin and about 50 in Kerry, if dubs are given the green light to go to Kerry it would turn into a disaster in a very short timeframe

Locotastic wrote: »
    They are actually selling rapid covid tests in Aldi and Lidl in Germany. Affordable and available to everyone, while we still fumble around with 'mandatory quarantine' measures.

Promising to see other countries with an appetite for normal activities, at least there's always emigration (once we can get our passports back of course).

Yes, huge numbers will no doubt consider emigration. I think the US might be worth considering. With the federal system over there it means that states have a lot of freedom to make their own decisions. And I think freedom is more important culturally in the US than in Western Europe. There's a reason it's know as 'the land of the free'.

Another country to consider is Russia because of the Russian avos':

https://twitter.com/robinmonotti/status/1375569370194272256

Here's how Wikipedia describes it:

"The Russian avos' describes a philosophy of behavior, or attitude, of a person who ignores possible problems or hassles and, at the same time, expects or hopes for no negative results or consequences. It is an attitude that treats life as unpredictable and holds that the best one can do is count on luck."

So, where are people getting their perfectly legal takeaway pints from, if not pubs ? Therefore are people not in fact “using pubs” ?
    If I’m the VFI I’d pick a better hill to die on than feeling insulted.

Very well put and glad to see some of these 'experts' being challenged, if even after the fact. Whatever will they do post covid to busy themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭TonyMaloney

With cases fairly stable and a substantial ramp up in vaccines going into arms, I'm starting to feel quite positive about where we are for the first time in ages.

Still a precarious situation, but at the current pace of vaccination, with every week that passes we'll be in a better and better situation.

The situation with cases rising in kids is a big worry, but the easter holidays will hopefully relieve a bit of pressure there, and by then we should be jabbing huge numbers of people per week.

Russman wrote: »
    I think the travel restriction will go to county boundary or 20km, whichever is greatest, and it won’t be enforced at all. Whatever about the reasoning on the 5km, which was simply intended to stop people moving about, once they go to larger distances it’s largely irrelevant imo. Realistically, who is going to travel 20km just for exercise ? Some of course, but not too many I’d say. Plenty will do it for other reasons, as is happening now anyway.

I think they need to scrap the distance rule altogether and focus their attention on more meaningful, sensible measures. It is clear from the amount of traffic on the road that people have stopped adhering to this particular rule. My understanding is that the instruction is still to "Stay at home and only travel 5km for exercise". Except of course if you invent an elderly parent or granny and stick a bag of groceries in the passenger seat of your car, you can go anywhere. It's a nonsensical waste of garda resources. Distance doesn't spread Coronavirus - it's humans coming into contact with each other that does. By persisting with a rule that makes no sense to anybody, and is pissing them off, they're weakening their case when it comes to what else they're asking of us.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭paddyisreal

Locotastic wrote: »
    Very well put and glad to see some of these 'experts' being challenged, if even after the fact. Whatever will they do post covid to busy themselves.

About time, George Lee and his fear mongering rubbish every night. Disgraceful stuff by rté but sure hasn't this pandemic made them relevant again for a lot of people

Tork wrote: »
    I think they need to scrap the distance rule altogether and focus their attention on more meaningful, sensible measures. It is clear from the amount of traffic on the road that people have stopped adhering to this particular rule. My understanding is that the instruction is still to "Stay at home and only travel 5km for exercise". Except of course if you invent an elderly parent or granny and stick a bag of groceries in the passenger seat of your car, you can go anywhere. It's a nonsensical waste of garda resources. Distance doesn't spread Coronavirus - it's humans coming into contact with each other that does. By persisting with a rule that makes no sense to anybody, and is pissing them off, they're weakening their case when it comes to what else they're asking of us.

Distance rule means people living in places with high infection rates don't go to places with low infection rates but if needs to be properly enforced, unless they're a truck or an ambulance driver they should be turned back at the checkpoints no bolloxing about with excuses

• Advertisement

About time, George Lee and his fear mongering rubbish every night. Disgraceful stuff by rté but sure hasn't this pandemic made them relevant again for a lot of people

He was making reference to an ersi survey, call him a fear monger all you like, but who the jaysus is telling the surveyors they were in a pub?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

The whole thing is over as far as I’m concerned. Will I be having a good summer with fresh creamy highlights or will I be having a good summer with dark roots is the question.

Distance rule means people living in places with high infection rates don't go to places with low infection rates but if needs to be properly enforced, unless they're a truck or an ambulance driver they should be turned back at the checkpoints no bolloxing about with excuses

That isn't going to stop people going to each other's houses or sneaking around on the back roads.

Carefree88 wrote: »
    We have to open up travel restrictions, we are just delaying the inevitable right now.

The UK are opening on April 12th, 2 weeks from now, all indoor dining, pubs with food, gym's, everything open.Dubs will be going up North to wine and dine, no one will be going to Kerry.

It's going to be trouble when any country opens up fully, look at Chile at the moment,over 50% adults got first doses and record cases, not saying we will have record cases but cases are gonna rises, Boris admitted it recently cases are gonna rise substantialy when they open on April 12th, you have to accept it

England are, the uk aren't.

Isn’t that the problem though ? We don’t have the capacity to properly enforce it, so it’s a relatively poor return for the resources spent doing it half baked.

The whole thing is over as far as I’m concerned. Will I be having a good summer with fresh creamy pints or will I be having a good summer with dark vino is the question.

FYP.

Tork wrote: »
    That isn't going to stop people going to each other's houses or sneaking around on the back roads.

The back roads would need to be closed too of course but calling around to neighbors houses wouldn't spread the virus across great distances

hynesie08 wrote: »
    England are, the uk aren't.

Even at that, they still might not.

• Advertisement

Russman wrote: »
    Isn’t that the problem though ? We don’t have the capacity to properly enforce it

As it should be. No government in a free country should ever have the capacity to restrict the movement of every one of its citizens.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement