Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part X *Read OP For Mod Warnings*

Options

Comments

Good to see construction is back soon. There should be some sort of breakfast roll metric to see if the economy is getting back on its feet.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 452 ✭✭Sharpyshoot

Good to see construction is back soon. There should be some sort of breakfast roll metric to see if the economy is getting back on its feet.

It’s getting the pup lads back on their feet is the problem, they need to cease it in June.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Jake.

It’s getting the pup lads back on their feet is the problem, they need to cease it in June.

A lot will never get back

Drink drugs and suicide have taken a big toll from what I've seen

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Klonker

I have to say the planned easing of restrictions announcement today has really put me in a good mood.

Its not even a personal thing. I'm lucky that I have a house with my partner and have been working from home on full wage since the beginning. I won't be rushing out to go shopping or to a restaurant, my other half's haircut will do me a few more weeks before a professional fixes it :D I might try get to my local back home for a few pints when the beer garden opens. I wasn't really following the intercounty travel or household mixing rules to the letter of the law anyway but I'm just happy that people can get back to enjoying their lives and for a lot a chance to reopen their businesses. Its really started to feel we are only a couple of months from our 'old normal', it's only a few weeks ago we were being told to expect an 'outdoor summer' and a lot of other negative forecasting. It really feels the finish line is not far away.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,558 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Just a thought that occurred to me, when national travel gets eased on May 10th will services like Citylink, Bus Eireann Expressway, Irish Rail that go from city to city require full vaccination certs before you can board the bus or train. Its just I hope to visit my sister in Cork, I'm in Galway. Just something that's niggling at me as I get my first vaccination this afternoon.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Klonker

Just a thought that occurred to me, when national travel gets eased on May 10th will services like Citylink, Bus Eireann Expressway, Irish Rail that go from city to city require full vaccination certs before you can board the bus or train. Its just I hope to visit my sister in Cork, I'm in Galway. Just something that's niggling at me as I get my first vaccination this afternoon.

No you won't need a vaccine cert.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,911 ✭✭✭✭josip

Balmed Out wrote: »
    Matches definitely june 7th but see no mention as to whether contact in training allowed beforehand.

Fair play to any coach who has been able to maintain interest in non-contact training sessions over the past year.
    I coach U11s and I was going hoarse last year trying to stop them tackling each other.
    Didn't want to/couldn't go nuclear and abandon the training because that would have been worse I thought.
    At this stage, as long as they're not licking each other, I'll let them get on with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭themacattack.

gozunda wrote: »
    We know that at least 50% of those in hospital with Covid up to recently have been under 65s. The most recent 14 Day Epidemiological report now gives that figure as just under 73%. And whilst it is likley that a significant proportion of those have underlying conditions - the facts are that of the cases notified today 71% are under 45 years of age, with the median age being just 32 years.

Interestingly the average age of those contracting Covid seems to been driven down by the current vaccination programme - which means we will continue to see at least a proportion of people belonging to younger age groups in hospital for some time to come.

yea you said it yourself so most of under 65s that might end up in hospital would have an underlying condition...i know a 29 year old type 1 diabetic got their first shot of moderna last week....second shot in 2 weeks so fully vaccinated....restrictions are done,no hospitilisations or very little why would any government re-introduce restrictions even if cases are increasing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭themacattack.

Sammy2012 wrote: »
    Leo mentioned on Prime Time the money being used is borrowed money and will have to be repaid and now Pascal Donohoe is on with Matt Cooper about the supports and the fact we are borrowing for all these supports and things will have to be repaid. And so it beings. Reality is finally starting to hit. Hence the quicker reopening. There is no choice.

Didnt see prime time but heard him say the same thing twice on leaders questions,they have obviously decided its time to let joe soap know that theres no such thing as free money,imagine what all them billions could have been spent on,a few new hospials would have been lovely

• Registered Users Posts: 4,477 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

Comstruction never really stopped down the country
    Two houses built up the road since January

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,007 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

They were ghost builders.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,377 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

80,000 ghost builders on PUP at various stages

10,000 invisible homes built this year

Paranormal activity really gives me the heeby jeebies

• Registered Users Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭CruelSummer

charlie14 wrote: »
    Today was a good day, but I don`t think it was cobbled together on the hoof today.
    Getting out of lockdown, re-open in stages and hopefully not having to go back based on vaccinations far as I was concerned was always the plan. The level of vaccinations and the stages was the question of when.

Hopefully. There were so many businesses waiting on what would happen for the summer. I do understand this is a fluid situation but thankfully hospitalisations and deaths here are very low at the moment.
    I think the positivity from NPHET was also a surprise which allowed them to proceed with this. It’s great news all around & hopefully will continue this way for the summer at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭the kelt

Makes sense.

Remember all the “ghost estates” we had after the Celtic tiger was shot!

I'm convinced it was rouge Doozers working on the housing estates near me.

Had to be sure every construction worker was sitting at home since December.

Boggles wrote: »

201911051540471310598.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 23,535 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

They probably had passports aswell.

The horrors of the real world.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,249 ✭✭✭Elessar

I see government has given control to NPHET to apply an emergency brake if numbers start climbing too much.

Which is exactly what will start happening in May. Government will just put their hands up and say "sorry", we need to protect 'x' in society. Will they close the businesses that just reopened? Who knows.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,845 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Dr. Bre wrote: »
    Couldn’t care if I had to wear mask on a flight or in a airport just so I can travel again !

See there's the problem..

You didn't have to wear one before all this. With the vulnerable vaccinated there's even less reason to have to. Their effectiveness (given how most people are treating them) is questionable at best.

You shouldn't have to accept what is more of a psychological tool to remind you of "de virus" and "de rules" as well as a not so subtle means of social separation and reminding you not to be interacting too much with others, just to be "allowed" do things as you could before, for a virus that's even less of a threat now than ever.

I understand your eagerness to get back to travelling but be careful about what conditions you accept to do so.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭paw patrol

They were ghost builders.

construction never closed according to Boggles - Tom Parlon told him too.:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,975 ✭✭✭✭JRant

gozunda wrote: »
    We know that at least 50% of those in hospital with Covid up to recently have been under 65s. The most recent 14 Day Epidemiological report now gives that figure as just under 73%. And whilst it is likley that a significant proportion of those have underlying conditions - the facts are that of the cases notified today 71% are under 45 years of age, with the median age being just 32 years.

Interestingly the average age of those contracting Covid seems to been driven down by the current vaccination programme - which means we will continue to see at least a proportion of people belonging to younger age groups in hospital for some time to come.

True enough but 50% of a low number is still a low number. It's about the acceptable level of risk now. We are running at 400/500 cases a day and hospital numbers are still dropping. We may be able to have far larger numbers of cases and have no material impact on hospital services. There will always be edge cases but we are very close to a point where cases are almost a meaningless metric.

I agree with the age profile of current cases and being driven by vaccinations. By the end of May we should have over 60's done and a large chunk of over 50's. The landscape will look increasingly positive even by then and we will probably see an accelerated reopening.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Registered Users Posts: 28,845 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Elessar wrote: »
    I see government has given control to NPHET to apply an emergency brake if numbers start climbing too much.

Which is exactly what will start happening in May. Government will just put their hands up and say "sorry", we need to protect 'x' in society. Will they close the businesses that just reopened? Who knows.

Well the mantra this time is that what opens stays open.

If they back away from that or try to impose new restrictions after people get used to things again, and all in the context of the actually vulnerable having been vaccinated, there'll be war.

Does anybody feel somewhat like me... I kind of feel like a caged bird for the past year (living alone) who used to live flying here there and everywhere, and suddenly as the cafe door is released I'm almost nervous to fly out?

This morning, all the talk now on the radio is of the possibility that the brakes may suddenly be applied again. I feel somehow I can't dare to rejoice too much, suppose because I'm naturally cautious by nature. Had to cancel an epic cruise twice over, and going to look for my money back. I comfort myself that this will be here to spend on something lovely once the green light is steady and strong.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 452 ✭✭Sharpyshoot

The government won’t bath an eye lid in closing down society again if the excrement hits the rotisserie.
    It’s up to each individual now to live in a responsible way.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,975 ✭✭✭✭JRant

Does anybody feel somewhat like me... I kind of feel like a caged bird for the past year (living alone) who used to live flying here there and everywhere, and suddenly as the cafe door is released I'm almost nervous to fly out?

This morning, all the talk now on the radio is of the possibility that the brakes may suddenly be applied again. I feel somehow I can't dare to rejoice too much, suppose because I'm naturally cautious by nature. Had to cancel an epic cruise twice over, and going to look for my money back. I comfort myself that this will be here to spend on something lovely once the green light is steady and strong.

Ah, I wouldn't pay too much attention to this "handbrake" they started talking about today. They are trying to stop people from doing what they want around household visits etc and this is the only way they know how. Cases are meaningless, even NPHET must be realising that by now.

Give it a month or two with everything starting to open up and you'll be booking your next trip without a second thought.

The government have all but admitted they are in trouble financially. Unless vaccines don't work on Irish people we won't be going back to lockdown again.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭paw patrol

positive news all round - albeit 9/10 months too late.
    After June BH weekend 2020 it was clear this wasn't the black death or Ebola and we should have behaved accordingly

But we still have NPHET banging the drum of 1000 new cases a day come July (see yesterdays Indo )
    They never stop. Their fear mongering is the same as 12month ago.

They would have us "live" with the virus forever on their terms never actually facing the fact that we must actually live with the virus.

If there was no vaccine NPHET would never accept that we just need to get on and accept the terrible 99.9% survival rate.
    It would be perpetual lockdowns and dictats. For a team of so called medical experts they have no notion of a persons immune system , something that brought us to this point in history from the prehistoric swamp

but brighter days ahead and hopefully all rules and restrictions (like masks) are discarded and we never hear the terms NPHET / new normal / social distancing again.

You see didn't long. Someone was going to come along and tell you that didn't happen.
    paw patrol wrote: »
    construction never closed according to Boggles - Tom Parlon told him too.:pac:

Even on this thread I think the overwhelming consensus would be that was a prudent thing to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭M_Murphy57

Elessar wrote: »

Yeah that headline annoyed me too, but that's just another example of FF continuing to infantalise the electorate.

FF: *Pats electorate on the head* "now, because you've been very good boys and girls, mammy and daddy will let you outside in about 9 weeks time. But remember, if you are bold between now and then mammy and daddy can still ground you? Understand? Good boy"

The reality is we are smashed broke and cant afford these restrictions any longer. Leo said multiple times on multiple media outlets yesterday that the bill is coming. So they can patronise us and tell is we are bold all they want but they cant afford to keep us locked in any longer.

I just wish we had a government that respected us and treated us like adults. The next GE cant come quick enough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

bear1 wrote: »
    True but imagine a 10 hour flight wearing it constantly :/
    Which brings me onto another point, I wonder when the government is thinking of scrapping the hotel ****e and allowing tourists in.

Loads of people do already in Asia for decades since SARS. With the right mask, I found a plane one of the easiest places to wear it (only up to 3 hours experience Per flight) because the air is very dry anyway. I found I was less dried out, not as thickly a thread and, as the mask didn’t get wet, no steamy glasses etc. I used to do a lot of long haul (12+ hours) and would never have considered a mask. I would now. Look at the reduced incidence of colds and flus. Plus, helps keep the stink of some some food and fellow travellers farts away!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement