Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part X *Read OP For Mod Warnings*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭paw patrol

Propaganda 101, make dissenters believe they’re the minority!

I’m yet to actually meet or speak to anyone (excluding this thread) who believes the level of restrictions up to now are appropriate...... not one! But on the radio and in the media you'd believe they’re a dime a dozen

i really hope you are right.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Elessar wrote: »
    I see government has given control to NPHET to apply an emergency brake if numbers start climbing too much.

:confused:

Why would anyone expect otherwise?

I do think we're in a fairly strong position for that not to happen.

There will obviously be some increase in case numbers as restrictions are relaxed but starting from a relatively low number of cases with an accelerating vaccination program should help mitigate the risk.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,007 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

ypres5 wrote: »
    Where's your proof the majority were working?

maths-lxdhsu.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭ypres5

Boggles wrote: »
    maths-lxdhsu.jpg

So no articles, statements from the government or unions, just your flimsy word? Okay...

So no articles, statements from the government or unions, just your flimsy word? Okay...

What proof would satisfy your needs?

A lad on here basically showed you his passport order yesterday and you told him he didn't get it.

That is a pretty impossible standard TBF.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭timmyntc

61,000 half of 150,000?

Nope.

Again that isn't my opinion.

Also it was Tom Parlon who said large amounts of them were doing "nixers".

You'll have take it up with him.

Construction employment end of Q2 2020 was 129,000, so yes, approx half.

Funny how you take hearsay as fact when it suits you, and dismiss it otherwise.
    Also what is a large amount? I doubt its all 60k+ of those on PUP. For starters, not all construction workers can do nixers in your house on the sly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭mohawk

Nope.

Certain sites were closed.

Self employed trades people were deemed essential.

Unless you think if someone suffered a burst pipe in January they had to wait until April to get it fixed?

The vast majority of construction workers never stopped working, that is not my opinion.

Seriously can you not tell the difference between someone coming to your home to fix a burst pipe and someone who works on new builds where the site was closed?

Lots of the lads still working away in construction for last few months were actually breaking restrictions. Your argument essentially boils down to because lots of people broke the restrictions then the government didn’t have that restriction in place.

The government were wrong to shut down construction. Full stop. Many of the nixers that’s were done will not be declared to the taxman so taxpayers will also lose out that way.

mohawk wrote: »
    Seriously can you not tell the difference between someone coming to your home to fix a burst pipe and someone who works on new builds where the site was closed?

Lots of the lads still working away in construction for last few months were actually breaking restrictions. Your argument essentially boils down to because lots of people broke the restrictions then the government didn’t have that restriction in place.

The government were wrong to shut down construction. Full stop. Many of the nixers that’s were done will not be declared to the taxman so taxpayers will also lose out that way.

Again it's not my opinion, it's the official numbers backed up by what a federation leader has been saying.

Plus actual reality

Impact of lockdown on housing output less than initially feared, says Goodbody

To put that in context it's a similar level to q1 in 2019, i.e. pre pandemic.

Remember the contention is there has been no construction since December.

I can get you quotes if you wish.

timmyntc wrote: »
    Construction employment end of Q2 2020 was 129,000, so yes, approx half.

Funny how you take hearsay as fact when it suits you, and dismiss it otherwise.
    Also what is a large amount? I doubt its all 60k+ of those on PUP. For starters, not all construction workers can do nixers in your house on the sly.
    Over 150,000 construction workers were trained in three weeks using an online training programme from the Construction Industry Federation and GoContractor.

The induction programme was developed by the CIF and was rolled out in three weeks and enabled construction employees to clearly understand their on-site responsibilities in terms of safe working.

Since the course started on April 21, 153,000 workers have been issued with a ‘digital card’ to show that they have successfully completed the course

Again you will have to take it up with the industry, none of this is my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭ypres5

What proof would satisfy your needs?

A lad on here basically showed you his passport order yesterday and you told him he didn't get it.

That is a pretty impossible standard TBF.

Something like an article or something from the government or a construction union would do, that's not impossible at all if what you're saying is true...

• Advertisement

Again it's not my opinion, it's the official numbers backed up by what a federation leader has been saying.

Plus actual reality

To put that in context it's a similar level to q1 in 2019, i.e. pre pandemic.

Remember the contention is there has been no construction since December.

I can get you quotes if you wish.

house building is a subset of construction.

you have ignored the 1000s of small builder who do work like house extensions/driveways/walls that type of thing. They were hung out to dry by the state.

at this stage you are either willfully ignorant or on a wind up

• Registered Users Posts: 989 ✭✭✭Stormyteacup

Something like an article or something from the government or a construction union would do, that's not impossible at all if what you're saying is true...

Cmon get with the program/whitewashing of restrictions.

Construction did not close. All construction continued throughout with all workers in full employment.

You could get a passport at any time in just four days.

5km was the exactly correct distance to restrict movement to - and was proportionate at all times, up to the exact time it was abolished, which was the exact correct time to abolish it.

All outdoor activity and ‘click and collect’ is risky because the associated shenanigans are deadly dangerous, except when they are sanctioned - then it’s fine.

The government is not lead by NPHET, and have done a brilliant job because they got children back in schools, they may have been slow about it but it was a huge achievement. They had to rebuild schools, hire staff, implement safety protocols completely different to pre-Christmas, and make brand new curriculums. It wasn’t as simple as saying ‘ok schools can open’, you know.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭finalfurlong

the kelt wrote: »
    This is the thing. We are still running at 400/500 cases a day and hospilisations are still falling. We need to be cautious of course but not utterly pessimistic.

Cases are irrelevant now, almost a meaningless metric now, we have to remember cases at the moment are being driven by the multitude of pop up test centres around the country where anyone who feels like it can have a test, what would they be without those centres?

I can see the pace of restriction easing being accelerated but still a bit concerned hearing MM talking about case numbers still as if they are the solid metric they once were.

Agree.If you watch the numbers being tested it has jumped by 15-20% over last month.The gross figure of positives will rise but if you see the positivity rate it has actually been steady or falling-yesterday the 7 day rate was 2.6%.Cant see this being highlighted but it should be.You would think this trend continuing should trump any knee jerk reactions to gross case numbers

Construction did not close. All construction continued throughout with all workers in full employment.

No one claimed that, the claim was all construction closed.

Obviously that is demonstrable false.

You could get a passport at any time in just four days.

Well I don't know about 4 days, but you could certainly get a passport, 430,000 issued during the pandemic (Minister of Foreign Affairs), plus a poster on here linking to proof he got his.

But yeah white washing. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭SAMTALK

Does one swallow make a summer?

Certain sites were closed, the contention on here is there wasn't a brick laid or wiring ran since December.

It's nonsense.

A lot of individual house builds stayed going where I'm from.

I also viewed a house a month ago and put in an offer, ( accepted ) :D

Officially things were stopped but like hairdressers, beauticians etc a lot of things continued behind closed doors

SAMTALK wrote: »
    A lot of individual house builds stayed going where I'm from.

I also viewed a house a month ago and put in an offer, ( accepted ) :D

Officially things were stopped but like hairdressers, beauticians etc a lot of things continued behind closed doors

Congrats.

There will be someone along shortly to tell you that didn't happen though.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

the kelt wrote: »
    This is the thing. We are still running at 400/500 cases a day and hospilisations are still falling. We need to be cautious of course but not utterly pessimistic.

Cases are irrelevant now, almost a meaningless metric now, we have to remember cases at the moment are being driven by the multitude of pop up test centres around the country where anyone who feels like it can have a test, what would they be without those centres?

I can see the pace of restriction easing being accelerated but still a bit concerned hearing MM talking about case numbers still as if they are the solid metric they once were.

I don't think case numbers are irrelevant now but their use as an indicator/advanced warning for hospitalisations/deaths will need to change.

As the vaccination program protects more people case numbers may not be the precursor to rising hospitalisation and deaths that it was previously.

That in itself is very relevant information.

• Registered Users Posts: 989 ✭✭✭Stormyteacup

No one claimed that, the claim was all construction closed.

Obviously that is demonstrable false.

Well I don't know about 4 days, but you could certainly get a passport, 430,000 issued during the pandemic (Minister of Foreign Affairs), plus a poster on here linking to proof he got his.

But yeah white washing. :)

Yes construction was open throughout and anyone who wasn’t working on a site was doing nixers- don’t know what the fuss was about.

And yes anyone could at anytime apply for a passport and it would have been processed timely.

No whitewashing at all.

Congrats.

There will be someone along shortly to tell you that didn't happen though.

I have no doubt. !

Yes construction was open throughout and anyone who wasn’t working on a site was doing nixers- don’t know what the fuss was about.

And yes anyone could at anytime apply for a passport and it would have been processed timely.

No whitewashing at all.

We back to playing 'Things that were never said'?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

yea you said it yourself so most of under 65s that might end up in hospital would have an underlying condition...i know a 29 year old type 1 diabetic got their first shot of moderna last week....second shot in 2 weeks so fully vaccinated....restrictions are done,no hospitilisations or very little why would any government re-introduce restrictions even if cases are increasing

Re. The government- well I didn't say they would. But as that you mention it ...

https://www.dw.com/en/coronavirus-germanys-emergency-brake-rules-take-effect/a-57321750

They're ahead of us with vaccinations as well.

I thought the Modena vaccine had a 4 week interval btw?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,377 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

For the love of god will someone tell Tom Parlon that he’s been talking waffle

The evidence is right here

Why people can't see the positives is something I can't understand. Restrictions have been eased which is what posters have been shouting for , Tony Holohan hasn't barred alcohol, hasn't kept us locked-down until 2022 and has agreed to easing restrictions so he isn't the devil after all

The government have shown us a road map , which is what people have been shouting for and yet that's not good enough and the only reason they have eased the restriction is for financial reason .

Look on the bright side, we are getting back to some sort of normality and there is a plan. Fingers crossed the vaccines stay on tract and all goes to plan

For the love of god will someone tell Tom Parlon that he’s been talking waffle

Wouldn't be the first time TBF.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,422 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

The reaction to the latest developments proves my suspicion that anti restrictions types are in the main a sour bunch of whining drama queens. Not necessarily those posting on this thread, of course.

No matter what happens, they predict worse times ahead. Holohan is the devil and will do this and that despite CLEAR evidence to the contrary.

All the utter misery they predicted has failed to come to pass. I really think they enjoyed the lockdown for the opportunity to whine and moan every moment of every day. Now it’s coming to an end they are still whinging and bitching.
    This is just boggles little rabbit hole he likes to lead people down. He makes this grand sweeping statement about construction and when confronted for evidence he becomes uncharacteristically evasive and plays persecuted over the span of several days. Just leave him to his daydreams about the construction industry and move on.

Both of you once again ignore the mod warnings in the OP and the one posted yesterday, both of you are now threadbanned

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Happy with the lifting of restrictions.

Not happy that it took so long to lift them and the associated damage we will wrestle with for years.

Not that tough to understand

Agree.If you watch the numbers being tested it has jumped by 15-20% over last month.The gross figure of positives will rise but if you see the positivity rate it has actually been steady or falling-yesterday the 7 day rate was 2.6%.Cant see this being highlighted but it should be.You would think this trend continuing should trump any knee jerk reactions to gross case numbers

Maybe just maybe this is the trend that is actually feeding into the decision making process

And - testing has dropped 3% in a month and positives by 20%

Happy with the lifting of restrictions.

Not happy that it took so long to lift them and the associated damage we will wrestle with for years.

Not that tough to understand

I wouldnt imagine anyone is happy with length of restrictions, whether you can understand them or not, or the damage to our economy

The calls have been for lifting of restrictions and a plan. We now have this and vaccine rollout which is all positives.

Why people can't see the positives is something I can't understand. Restrictions have been eased which is what posters have been shouting for , Tony Holohan hasn't barred alcohol, hasn't kept us locked-down until 2022 and has agreed to easing restrictions so he isn't the devil after all

The government have shown us a road map , which is what people have been shouting for and yet that's not good enough and the only reason they have eased the restriction is for financial reason .

Look on the bright side, we are getting back to some sort of normality and there is a plan. Fingers crossed the vaccines stay on tract and all goes to plan

sure I'm happier a few sectors like hairdressing and outdoor pubs/restaurants will open soon. But so much restrictions remain...all the indoor stuff.
    Lets hold off on the champagne - Tesco Value prosecco will do for now.

Don't forget the caveat from Micheal Martin saying he "will not be afraid to intervene" (his words). That means that the opening plan isn't in stone.
    It's all temporary and can be removed on the whim of somebody be that MM or Dr Tony.

Its easy to open up in the summer , wait till winter and they'll sh1t the bed cos that's when respiratory illnesses peak. always has been always will be.
    Lets us see - they messed us about so much in the last year so as the man once said
    fool me once, shame on — shame on you. Fool me — you can't get fooled again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

I wouldnt imagine anyone is happy with length of restrictions, whether you can understand them or not, or the damage to our economy

Wrong. People blindly supported the continuation of restrictions despite the vulnerable being largely vaccinated and falling cases and icu numbers.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement