Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part X *Read OP For Mod Warnings*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭paddyisreal

Exactly

As you said if they were smart they should be looking at this in the next few weeks but as per usual they won't until they are forced to. That will happen when Northern Ireland opens hospitality

• Registered Users Posts: 9,987 ✭✭✭normanoffside

I have a feeling Tony will return tomorrow :eek:

If he hears of any restrictions being lifted

38144033ff3b9e8bcbdb157442204ef6.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭RobitTV

Tony will make his return very soon. Just like he did the last time and we went straight to level 5 restrictions.

The previous change in restrictions (level 3 to 5) were so fast even the government were surprised by this recommendation from Tony and NPHET.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,987 ✭✭✭normanoffside

RobitTV wrote: »
    Tony will make his return very soon. Just like he did the last time and we went straight to level 5 restrictions.

Level 5 didn't work. This time it will be level 6

• Registered Users Posts: 9,086 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

SnuggyBear wrote: »
    It's not viable for most places

Most places I know of have fine big outdoor seating areas, any that don't could easily take in part of the public footpath outside their door, councils have a role to play there too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭newuser99999

It is but it might stop a lot of gatherings indoors in houses.

It won’t, not if there’s the stupid €9 rule and only having a place for an hour and a half before you’re told to move on. Why would people bother?

Russman wrote: »
    Ahh come on, there’s more nuance to it than that.

That's a matter of opinion and philosophy.

My personal opinion is that the most precious aspect of our society is the liberty we have, grounded in philosophy and culture that can be traced back for millennia. The same philosophy and culture that assured that not a single one of the pandemic plans we had in place prior to covid included anything compulsory or legally enforced, and instead, involved plans for strong communication and information, and letting the rest up to the risk tolerance of the citizenry.

Instead, we have allowed a cohort of weak politicians, motivated entirely by personal preservation, and a committee of people who belong to a profession that often (during times of crisis and strife) tends toward the authoritarian (See: doctors being the most likely profession to join the Nazi party) to import heavy-handed, doctrinaire restrictions from parts of the world that have no respect whatever for the notion of liberty, and implement them here. And our constitution and legal framework as it stands has proven useless in the face of it.

I consider every legally enforceable Covid restriction to be immoral.

I do not believe there is more nuance to it than that.

Your mileage may vary.

It won’t, not if there’s the stupid €9 rule and only having a place for an hour and a half before you’re told to move on. Why would people bother?

If hospitality is outdoors only the €9 rule becomes pointless

• Registered Users Posts: 8,690 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Distance rule means people living in places with high infection rates don't go to places with low infection rates but if needs to be properly enforced, unless they're a truck or an ambulance driver they should be turned back at the checkpoints no bolloxing about with excuses

Waste of Gardai resources having them stand around on roads causing delays for people...we've had it for almost 90 days now and it's done nothing.
    Diverting more Garda officers to standing around on roads will take resources away from protecting the public from crime.

Lessons learned, it doesn't work, time to move on.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,363 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

Nearly into the 4th month of the strictest lockdown.

The first lockdown lasted 3 months.

What a ****en ****show.

• Advertisement

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    Waste of Gardai resources having them stand around on roads causing delays for people...we've had it for almost 90 days now and it's done nothing.
    Diverting more Garda officers to standing around on roads will take resources away from protecting the public from crime.

Lessons learned, it doesn't work, time to move on.

This is the same point I was making, current hotspot counties for covid are Dublin, Offaly, Donegal and Kildare, divert the current resources, add defence forces and we could possibly contain high covid rates in those counties but checkpoints in Kerry or Monaghan are about as useful as a chocolate teapot

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭finalfurlong

Boggles wrote: »
    Really? Could you link to these reports?
    Eilish o regan ,Irish independent,last week,talking about likely nphet recommendations to go to gov this week.

This is the same point I was making, current hotspot counties for covid are Dublin, Offaly, Donegal and Kildare, divert the current resources, add defence forces and we could possibly contain high covid rates in those counties but checkpoints in Kerry or Monaghan are about as useful as a chocolate teapot

Doesn't matter where! No more chinese style lockdowns, enough! Forget wasting Garda and Army resources, trying to contain a virus by quarantining healthy people and stopping people travelling to work/school etc. We're 3 months into this current lockdown and 1 year since Lockdown first started, like I said, time to move on and give up on this waste of time and money!

Train the IDF personnel to give jabs, open up field vaccination tents... And vaccinate our front line workers such as the Gardai instead of having them risk infection while at work..

• Registered Users Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

Mod

Gortanna - bring your comments and concerns of the World Economic Forum to the thread in Conspiracy Theories. You know where it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

4k odd people died "from" Covid.

How many people died NOT from Covid spending their last months on earth not seeing their families. Very cruel end for lots of innocent people. How many died not seeing their families for months? Grandparents not seeing their grandchildren on their 10th, 13th, 16th birthdays, not seeing grandchildren making communion or confirmation or going to grad balls?

GooglePlus wrote: »
    It sounds like it could be in relation to not going back to the excesses of the past, the excesses that are destroying our planet.

You mention who voted these people in, but I'm not sure you get what the world economic forum is when you say that. They'll facilitate consultation with the public, private enterprise and government, but our elected governments will still make any calls on policy change impacting citizens. The world economic forum doesn't make decisions like you seem to think..

Why don't you join the dialogue, there's open public consultation in which you can participate in order to voice your opinion and ideas.

I thought it was a forum for exchanging ideas, but WEF seem to have already decided what's going to happen. This is from June 2020:

"To achieve a better outcome, the world must act jointly and swiftly to revamp all aspects of our societies and economies, from education to social contracts and working conditions. Every country, from the United States to China, must participate, and every industry, from oil and gas to tech, must be transformed."

Would you describe the above as a decision made as to what must and needs to happen in the future?

Doesn't matter where! No more chinese style lockdowns, enough! Forget wasting Garda and Army resources, trying to contain a virus by quarantining healthy people and stopping people travelling to work/school etc. We're 3 months into this current lockdown and 1 year since Lockdown first started, like I said, time to move on and give up on this waste of time and money!

Train the IDF personnel to give jabs, open up field vaccination tents... And vaccinate our front line workers such as the Gardai instead of having them risk infection while at work..

It wouldn't be a waste of resources if it worked, we haven't seen a Chinese style lockdown yet in this country most checkpoints can be passed with a reasonably thought out fake excuse

• Registered Users Posts: 989 ✭✭✭Stormyteacup

Most places I know of have fine big outdoor seating areas, any that don't could easily take in part of the public footpath outside their door, councils have a role to play there too

This is typical of the ignorance of people who have never run a hospitality business. Your business model is based on total capacity, factoring in seasonality if relevant. You are running at close to 100% capacity for certain months of the year and that offsets your less busy times. So, to accommodate your desire for safe, outdoor dining, these businesses should run at a loss?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭GooglePlus

I thought it was a forum for exchanging ideas, but WEF seem to have already decided what's going to happen. This is from June 2020:

"To achieve a better outcome, the world must act jointly and swiftly to revamp all aspects of our societies and economies, from education to social contracts and working conditions. Every country, from the United States to China, must participate, and every industry, from oil and gas to tech, must be transformed."

Would you describe the above as a decision made as to what must and needs to happen in the future?

These are all positive recommendations, I'm sorry they're not the villains you were hoping for but you have this all wrong. Read the entire article, it's inclusive dialogue for everyone not something that's out to get you.

It wouldn't be a waste of resources if it worked, we haven't seen a Chinese style lockdown yet in this country most checkpoints can be passed with a reasonably thought out fake excuse

It hasn't worked, 500+ cases a day plus deaths...

Chinese style refers to what you're suggesting, i.e. more Police&Army checkpoints enforcing strict lockdowns...

As I said enough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭ypres5

This is typical of the ignorance of people who have never run a hospitality business. Your business model is based on total capacity, factoring in seasonality if relevant. You are running at close to 100% capacity for certain months of the year and that offsets your less busy times. So, to accommodate your desire for safe, outdoor dining, these businesses should run at a loss?

I think some people believe businesses run on magic and goodwill. the amount of people who believe businesses can magically open and close on a whim for months at a time without any financial ramifications is baffling

It hasn't worked, 500+ cases a day plus deaths...

Chinese style refers to what you're suggesting, i.e. more Police&Army checkpoints enforcing strict lockdowns...

As I said enough.

500+ cases down from 8000+ back in January this lockdown has worked and has saved lives, it's time to open the counties where incidence is low but there's no point unless we properly close off the places where the incidence is high

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭Parachutes

Guards are fed up. Garda Bloggs doesn’t care if you’re going outside your 5km to go walking the dog on the beach. They are as fed up as everyone else at this stage.

MOD

Threadbanned, you were advised to bring it to CT

• Registered Users Posts: 989 ✭✭✭Stormyteacup

ypres5 wrote: »
    I think some people believe businesses run on magic and goodwill. the amount of people who believe businesses can magically open and close on a whim for months at a time without any financial ramifications is baffling

Really it is baffling. The only consideration seems to be for inclement weather - otherwise hospitality is just fine to operate completely outdoors for some people’s convenience.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,857 ✭✭✭growleaves

The Chinese gov are not honest with the information they give out. I don't understand the faith people put in their obvious lies.

Matteo Renzi and Giuseppe Conte had strong financial ties to the Chinese.

I get it that the average person doesn't want to probe too deeply into this stuff. But in that case why comment on politics at all.

Really it is baffling. The only consideration seems to be for inclement weather - otherwise hospitality is just fine to operate completely outdoors for some people’s convenience.

The idea behind outdoor hospitality is to reduce the spread of the virus - it's not for anybody's 'convenience'

Ted_YNWA wrote: »
    MOD

Threadbanned, you were advised to bring it to CT

Ban lifted

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭ypres5

The idea behind outdoor hospitality is to reduce the spread of the virus - it's not for anybody's 'convenience'

But restaurants might be operating at a loss serving outdoors only. It's not fair for the gov to expect business owners to eat into their savings like that

• Advertisement

growleaves wrote: »
    The Chinese gov are not honest with the information they give out. I don't understand the faith people put in their obvious lies.

Matteo Renzi and Giuseppe Conte had strong financial ties to the Chinese.

I get it that the average person doesn't want to probe too deeply into this stuff. But in that case why comment on politics at all.

I've seen videos of the checkpoints made by Western reporters, you don't **** with the Chinese police... Unless you have papers showing you're entitled to pass you're arrested on the spot

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement