Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part X *Read OP For Mod Warnings*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,086 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

ypres5 wrote: »
    But restaurants might be operating at a loss serving outdoors only. It's not fair for the gov to expect business owners to eat into their savings like that

They're currently operating as takeaways only, serving outdoors is most likely a step up, plus with the TWSS they're only paying 30% of staff costs

• Registered Users Posts: 5,501 ✭✭✭bb1234567

https://twitter.com/Francis_Hoar/status/1376129189636620288

Think we will be seeing a lot more of this after the pandemic. A lot of red faces in the media when people come to their senses and realise the media relentlessly exploited and exacerbated their fears for what will be approaching 2 years by then. It has done irreparable harm to the trust populations, across the world truth be told, ever had in their national broadcasters to inform them honestly, fairly and impartially

• Registered Users Posts: 7,857 ✭✭✭growleaves

I've seen videos of the checkpoints made by Western reporters, you don't **** with the Chinese police... Unless you have papers showing you're entitled to pass you're arrested on the spot

They make up their figures.

Successful fascism does not equate to successful medicine.

growleaves wrote: »
    They make up their figures.

Successful fascism does equate to successful medicine.

Probably, are you suggesting their lockdowns and checkpoints are less extreme than ours? I'm not sure why any nation would lie about lockdown extremities...

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭Newbie20

lot of nphet want 2km according to reports.Irish times last week reported that cabinet could settle fo r 8 km as compromise between 5 and 10.An incredible mindset to be thinking along those lines.The real beauty is the sudden stretching out of times between rev iews to 6 weeks.So thats 5/8/10 km till may 17th and 20 km till june 28th.Next review would actually be in August.This is a total disgrace.

It’s a joke. They might as well scrap the distance limit altogether. Most people aren’t sticking to it anyway. My parents live in another county and if I was to stick to the limit I’d never see them and they’d never see their grandchild. I notice the people that get all high and mighty about sticking to the 5km limit are the same people who’s family and friends all reside in that radius. It’s very easy to be in favour of the rules if it doesn’t affect you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭jusvi2001

UK begin to ease lockdown. Congratulations Boris for having a plan and for giving hope to your nation. Well-done for investing, procuring, approving and administering vaccines without delay . our EU masters were only thinking about it when you started inoculating your people. I may not agree with your politics but you clearly won over EU in regards of vaccination.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9411997/Welsh-beauty-spots-rammed-visitors-country-leads-UK-lockdown.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭Indestructable

jusvi2001 wrote: »
    UK begin to ease lockdown. Congratulations Boris for having a plan and for giving hope to your nation. Well-done for investing, procuring, approving and administering vaccines without delay . our EU masters were only thinking about about it when you started inoculating your people. I may not agree with his politics but he clearly won over EU in regards of vaccination.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9411997/Welsh-beauty-spots-rammed-visitors-country-leads-UK-lockdown.html

Just saw the Sky News report at the top of the hour there. Looks like there is some great optimism over in England. The contrast with here is unbelievable. I'm raging to be honest.

They have a plan, it's quite slow, but it's a plan nonetheless.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,876 ✭✭✭Russman

That's a matter of opinion and philosophy.

My personal opinion is that the most precious aspect of our society is the liberty we have, grounded in philosophy and culture that can be traced back for millennia. The same philosophy and culture that assured that not a single one of the pandemic plans we had in place prior to covid included anything compulsory or legally enforced, and instead, involved plans for strong communication and information, and letting the rest up to the risk tolerance of the citizenry.

Instead, we have allowed a cohort of weak politicians, motivated entirely by personal preservation, and a committee of people who belong to a profession that often (during times of crisis and strife) tends toward the authoritarian (See: doctors being the most likely profession to join the Nazi party) to import heavy-handed, doctrinaire restrictions from parts of the world that have no respect whatever for the notion of liberty, and implement them here. And our constitution and legal framework as it stands has proven useless in the face of it.

I consider every legally enforceable Covid restriction to be immoral.

I do not believe there is more nuance to it than that.

Your mileage may vary.

You’re perfectly entitled to those views. My mileage does indeed vary.
    You think our government, and many others around the world, collapsed the economy (with all the associated impacts on the people/voters) in the interest of self preservation ?

Are there any other restrictions or laws you consider immoral ?

UK begin to ease lockdown. Congratulations Boris for having a plan and for giving hope to your nation. Well-done for investing, procuring, approving and administering vaccines without delay . our EU masters were only thinking about it when you started inoculating your people. I may not agree with your politics but you clearly won over EU in regards of vaccination.

Yes, although this time last year he was talking about how important handshaking is and how he shook hands with covid patients in a hospital which eventually wound him up in ICU and over 100,000 deaths under his watch, highest rate per capita in Europe

No doubt he pulled an absolute blinder on the vaccination front though, there was a report of him visiting some factory in Scotland that was kept hush hush a few weeks ago, Sturgeon went mad at him but it turns out he was after securing more vaccines for the UK so not too bad really

Russman wrote: »
    You think our government, and many others around the world, collapsed the economy (with all the associated impacts on the people/voters) in the interest of self preservation ?

Are there any other restrictions or laws you consider immoral ?

1. Mostly, yes. They may additionally have believed themselves to be acting in the best interest, but the worst tyrants always are convinced of such, at least at first.

2. Yes, there are plenty of restrictions and laws I consider immoral.

• Advertisement

1. Mostly, yes. They may additionally have believed themselves to be acting in the best interest, but the worst tyrants always are convinced of such, at least at first.

2. Yes, there are plenty of restrictions and laws I consider immoral.

Do you own a tin foil hat as well by any chance?

Do you own a tin foil hat as well by any chance?

I don’t engage with trolls. Peace.

• Registered Users Posts: 989 ✭✭✭Stormyteacup

The idea behind outdoor hospitality is to reduce the spread of the virus - it's not for anybody's 'convenience'

Of course - but the idea that that business model is viable in ireland is laughable. And I believe people are calling for it for their convenience. They wish to dine outdoors at their local restaurant but have no concept that their preferred restaurant could not possibly be viable long-term by serving outdoors only. Therefore it’s wanted for for the convenience of those who wish to dine safely, with no thought to the economic reality behind it.

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭jusvi2001

Yes, although this time last year he was talking about how important handshaking is and how he shook hands with covid patients in a hospital which eventually wound him up in ICU and over 100,000 deaths under his watch, highest rate per capita in Europe

No doubt he pulled an absolute blinder on the vaccination front though, there was a report of him visiting some factory in Scotland that was kept hush hush a few weeks ago, Sturgeon went mad at him but it turns out he was after securing more vaccines for the UK so not too bad really

Good for people in UK if Boris is securing more vaccines. Ireland is even behind countries like Romania in terms of number of vaccines administered.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,987 ✭✭✭normanoffside

bb1234567 wrote: »
    https://twitter.com/Francis_Hoar/status/1376129189636620288

Think we will be seeing a lot more of this after the pandemic. A lot of red faces in the media when people come to their senses and realise the media relentlessly exploited and exacerbated their fears for what will be approaching 2 years by then. It has done irreparable harm to the trust populations, across the world truth be told, ever had in their national broadcasters to inform them honestly, fairly and impartially

Yep I highlighted this a few days ago. Thanks to independent journalist like the one who wrote the report in the post below...

Really, any evidence of this?

Remember that story going around in the New Year about an entire ward full of children in a hospital from Covid?

Turns out it was a lie spouted by a member of the UK equivalent of ISAG. There were actually only 2 kids in the hospital mentioned the day after the person made the claim.

https://citizenjournos.com/2021/03/10/confirmed-there-wasnt-a-whole-ward-of-covid-children-as-claimed-by-laura-duffell-of-kings-college-hospital/

Good for people in UK if Boris is securing more vaccines. Ireland is even behind countries like Romania in terms of number of vaccines administered.

Good for Ireland as well, the UK is the most visited destination from Ireland and vice-versa...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

For those who have blind faith in everything the Government and NPHET are doing and saying:

Mauritius is on Ireland's high risk list for mandatory hotel quarantine. Population 1.25m, total cases 871, deaths 10, no deaths in 11 months. Clear copy and paste job from the UK list, who have Mauritius on their list due to political reasons over a dispute over the Chagos Islands. Incompetence of our Government is truly staggering.

The sheer arrogance and ignorance to put a country on our risk list that has had 1.5% our total cases per million and 0.9% our total deaths per million. In other words, per capita, Ireland has had 67 times more cases and 111 times more deaths than Mauritius. Yet they are a danger to us?

How can anyone have faith in our Government and NPHET with sh1te like this?

Chivito550 wrote: »
    For those who have blind faith in everything the Government and NPHET are doing and saying:

Mauritius is on Ireland's high risk list for mandatory hotel quarantine. Population 1.25m, total cases 871, deaths 10, no deaths in 11 months. Clear copy and paste job from the UK list, who have Mauritius on their list due to political reasons over a dispute over the Chagos Islands. Incompetence of our Government is truly staggering.

The sheer arrogance and ignorance to put a country on our risk list that has had 1.5% our total cases per million and 0.9% our total deaths per million. In other words, per capita, Ireland has had 67 times more cases and 111 times more deaths than Mauritius. Yet they are a danger to us?

Sir, I salute you. This heavy-handed process of elimination by inept and shoddy leadership should be subject to vocal ridicule. Pure slapstick.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭Jim Gazebo

Watching a few matches last few days, Israel, Holland, Georgia all had fans at matches to name a few. And here we are with a 5km travel restriction. Completely backwards country. Martin can shove his restrictions up his hole.

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Locotastic

Chivito550 wrote: »

Shame they couldn't copy them where it mattered.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭ypres5

Locotastic wrote: »
    Shame they couldn't copy them where it mattered.

The hse would have to do more work than hit ctrl+c and ctrl+v and we can't be having that

• Registered Users Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭Del Griffith

Are we still due an update 'before the end of this month's?

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Locotastic

Are we still due an update 'before the end of this month's?

NPHET meeting with cabinet today to give their recommendations and then government meeting tomorrow to discuss.

Prepare for lots of leaks anyway this week. So far I've read some small easing of 5km limit, outdoor activities maybe, some more construction to return, remaining secondary to return (April 12th), maybe option to meet additional household outdoors.

Not all easing April 5th but to be included in the phased reopening plan.

Pity a lot of people already doing most of these, albeit unofficially, so it won't really be seen as an easing.

Announcement due tomorrow night I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,571 ✭✭✭Penfailed

scamalert wrote: »
    if you told anyone 2 years back that people will need to worry showing their papers to guards to let em travel to store, youd be deemed consipracy lunatic or someone who thinks it only could be true in likes of NK.

yet all this happened and barely theres any question behind the logic, that in essence put restrictions on every person.

It didn't happen.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Registered Users Posts: 29,319 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Locotastic wrote:
    Pity a lot of people already doing most of these, albeit unofficially, so it won't really be seen as an easing.

People are done with it now, plenty people out and about yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 12,978 ✭✭✭✭JRant

Locotastic wrote: »
    NPHET meeting with cabinet today to give their recommendations and then government meeting tomorrow to discuss.

Prepare for lots of leaks anyway this week. So far I've read some small easing of 5km limit, outdoor activities maybe, some more construction to return, remaining secondary to return (April 12th), maybe option to meet additional household outdoors.

Not all easing April 5th but to be included in the phased reopening plan.

Announcement due tomorrow night I think.

It's clear there will be severe restrictions in place until late July/early August at this stage. They will keep the 6 week review time and use that as a buffer against having to make any decisions. That coupled with the fairly obvious messaging that they want to keep this place as locked down as possible until we hit the 80% vaccinated figure means it's going to be a grim year.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭boetstark

JRant wrote: »
    It's clear there will be severe restrictions in place until late July/early August at this stage. They will keep the 6 week review time and use that as a buffer against having to make any decisions. That coupled with the fairly obvious messaging that they want to keep this place as locked down as possible until we hit the 80% vaccinated figure means it's going to be a grim year.

I'm disappointed
    Angry
    Embarrassed
    Frustrated
    I cannot believe people aren't up in arms over this debacle. Our problem is not so much the virus, it's the lack of vaccine rollout. Our politicians have proved once again incapable of running a country.
    I look at other countries progress and initiatives and it fills me with envy. Irish people are unfortunately such a subservient race of people. Ireland will be the backwater of Europe

• Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭alentejo

While I agree with your view on NEPHT, I suspect Ireland will ultimately have to open up at more or less at the same pace due to the euro vaccine roll out. If the majority of euro countries are open in June, the pressure on the gov to do the same would be immense.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,978 ✭✭✭✭JRant

alentejo wrote: »
    While I agree with your view on NEPHT, I suspect Ireland will ultimately have to open up at more or less at the same pace due to the euro vaccine roll out. If the majority of euro countries are open in June, the pressure on the gov to do the same would be immense.

Maybe so but looking at their previous form over the past 12 months I just can't see it. MM is about as weak a leader as you will see anywhere. There are jellyfish in the Irish sea with more backbone than him. It's easier for him to hide behind D'Variant, case numbers, and NPHET, than to actually make a decision.

I think we'll remain the outlier in Europe for this year at a minimum and only really start to go to pre-Feb 2020 normality in the new year.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,360 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Ah here... This is no way to start the week :(

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement