Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part X *Read OP For Mod Warnings*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,360 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

alentejo wrote: »
    While I agree with your view on NEPHT, I suspect Ireland will ultimately have to open up at more or less at the same pace due to the euro vaccine roll out. If the majority of euro countries are open in June, the pressure on the gov to do the same would be immense.

End of June is still 3 months from now.

That will be a full half year with unbroken level 5 restrictions.

I think as a nation we've now got a form of collective Stockholm Syndrome the way we casually discuss months of restrictions on our liberty as if we were talking about a few days.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,360 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

JRant wrote: »
    Maybe so but looking at their previous form over the past 12 months I just can't see it. MM is about as weak a leader as you will see anywhere. There are jellyfish in the Irish sea with more backbone than him. It's easier for him to hide behind D'Variant, case numbers, and NPHET, than to actually make a decision.

I think we'll remain the outlier in Europe for this year at a minimum and only really start to go to pre-Feb 2020 normality in the new year.

If FF/FG want to see the other side of the next election, they'd be advised to start agitating against Martin.. And soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,978 ✭✭✭✭JRant

lawred2 wrote: »
    Ah here... This is no way to start the week :(

Nothing like a little ray of sunshine on a Monday morning :)

But, seriously, we are governed by a single issue government at the moment and not a thought is being put in to the children of this country, the economy, the unemployed, those without housing, etc.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

Listening to the early news this morning, RTE is making every possible effort to stop the increase of the travel limit beyond 5 km. They had the union rep from the Garda sergeants & inspectors on the bulletin asking her that if the government increases the travel limit restriction beyond 5 km, will it not be harder for the Gardai to enforce the restrictions?

Their "surge in cases" claim a couple of days ago has also now morphed into a new claim of 2% increase of cases "every single day". RTE is making a concerted effort to stop any easing of restrictions in our country. When this is over, we should all remember RTE's role is making life for us as difficult as possible, and there should be an investigation of the blatant lies that they claimed to be fact, and the biased/partial nature of how they presented the pandemic to the people of Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,298 ✭✭✭facehugger99

Nothing like a little ray of sunshine on a Monday morning :)

But, seriously, we are governed by a single issue government at the moment and not a thought is being put in to the children of this country, the economy, the unemployed, those without housing, etc.

Too true and even worse the single facet of that issue seems to be 'case' numbers.

Hospital and ICU numbers are down over 70% since the peak and we are still locked down in level 5 - it's almost laughable at this stage.

Out latest wheeze is to start testing perfectly healthy people in pop-up centers so we can add even more meaningless case numbers into the mix and justify continuing with Europe's longest lockdown.

All this with the youngest population in Europe. 86% of the population are below 65 and these people are at a miniscule risk of Covid.

• Advertisement

Kivaro wrote: »
    Listening to the early news this morning, RTE is making every possible effort to stop the increase of the travel limit beyond 5 km. They had the union rep from the Garda sergeants & inspectors on the bulletin asking her that if the government increases the travel limit restriction beyond 5 km, will it not be harder for the Gardai to enforce the restrictions?

Their "surge in cases" claim a couple of days ago has also now morphed into a new claim of 2% increase of cases "every single day". RTE is making a concerted effort to stop any easing of restrictions in our country. When this is over, we should all remember RTE's role is making life for us as difficult as possible, and there should be an investigation of the blatant lies that they claimed to be fact, and the biased/partial nature of how they presented the pandemic to the people of Ireland.

We're through the looking glass here, people! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 40,010 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Eilish o regan ,Irish independent,last week,talking about likely nphet recommendations to go to gov this week.

Eilish reported a lot of NPHET what to reduce the 5km to 2km???

I don't believe that.

Too true and even worse the single facet of that issue seems to be 'case' numbers.

Hospital and ICU numbers are down over 70% since the peak and we are still locked down in level 5 - it's almost laughable at this stage.

Out latest wheeze is to start testing perfectly healthy people in pop-up centers so we can add even more meaningless case numbers into the mix and justify continuing with Europe's longest lockdown.

All this with the youngest population in Europe. 86% of the population are below 65 and these people are at a miniscule risk of Covid.

I wouldn't say that it is meaningless. If c-19 is spreading amongst the younger healthier people, there is a bigger chance for mutations. Can't say I am aware of what is going on in the hospital this week as I had to use AL. It's nice to be able to spend some time at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭DellyBelly

Boggles wrote: »
    Eilish reported a lot of NPHET what to reduce the 5km to 2km???

I don't believe that.

Christ I hope that's not the case. I'm praying to God it goes to 10km. I'll be so so grateful if that what they decide to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 965 ✭✭✭SnuggyBear

DellyBelly wrote: »
    Christ I hope that's not the case. I'm praying to God it goes to 10km. I'll be so so grateful if that what they decide to do.

lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48,212 ✭✭✭✭km79

Getting less and less optimistic we will be able to start building our home before June now. Along with lots and lots of other families . Who will all want tradesmen and materials at the same time . What could possibly go wrong .......

• Registered Users Posts: 11,976 ✭✭✭✭titan18

I just want to get a haircut (legally)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

While I understand your sentiment, we should not be "grateful" by the extra 5 km that they may give us. They had no right to impose that type of restriction in the first place. There were other ways to manage this pandemic other than imprisoning the population in 5 km square areas over long drawn out periods not seen anywhere else in the world. Lockdowns were acceptable but not to the extent that the Irish government used them.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,379 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

I wouldn't say that it is meaningless. If c-19 is spreading amongst the younger healthier people, there is a bigger chance for mutations. Can't say I am aware of what is going on in the hospital this week as I had to use AL. It's nice to be able to spend some time at home.

Put the feet up Dazzler you earned it

Put the feet up Dazzler you earned it

Got a promotion too last week, 2021 has been a oddly great year professionally too.

Keep falling upwards, eh?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,908 ✭✭✭✭Busi_Girl08

km79 wrote: »
    Getting less and less optimistic we will be able to start building our home before June now. Along with lots and lots of other families . Who will all want tradesmen and materials at the same time . What could possibly go wrong .......

I'm in a similar boat waiting for the stupid "go sale agreed before you can view a house" rule. I'm not going to fork out thousands of Euro (refundable or not) based on a video of handful of photos on Daft ffs. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Locotastic

You'll be grateful if NPHET instruct you as to how far you can go from your home to exercise, and praying they'll let you go further? Ok :eek:

You do realise there's not many paying attention to this limit at this stage if there ever were.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,366 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

Here fishy fishy.

boetstark wrote: »
    I'm disappointed
    Angry
    Embarrassed
    Frustrated
    I cannot believe people aren't up in arms over this debacle. Our problem is not so much the virus, it's the lack of vaccine rollout. Our politicians have proved once again incapable of running a country.
    I look at other countries progress and initiatives and it fills me with envy. Irish people are unfortunately such a subservient race of people. Ireland will be the backwater of Europe

I agree with you, but I think the main problem with Ireland is the lack of a functioning fourth estate. There's zero balance in the Irish media.

I was reading about the 72 hour lockdown in Queensland over 7 cases (how the Australian approach is sustainable, I don't know, but that's a separate issue) and Sky News Australia was all over it. They were interviewing government ministers about it, analysing it etc. Imagine if Ireland were Queensland and locked down for 72 hours. There would be zero criticism or interrogating of government ministers or NPHET. It doesn't particularly matter whether people like Sky News Australia or not. The point is that they serve as a balance to other news' stations in Australia. You can't have a functioning democracy without a fourth estate. And you see the consequences of that in the case of Ireland. A shutdown for the guts of a year, zero criticism. zero questioning etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,379 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

Got a promotion too last week, 2021 has been a oddly great year professionally too.

Keep falling upwards, eh?

Ah that’s great news

Every cloud and all that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭paw patrol

km79 wrote: »

if its a stand alone family home and you've nowhere to go, can it not be classified as essential

• Registered Users Posts: 48,212 ✭✭✭✭km79

paw patrol wrote: »
    if its a stand alone family home and you've nowhere to go, can it not be classified as essential

Nope
    Only social housing .......

While I understand your sentiment, we should not be "grateful" by the extra 5 km that they may give us. They had no right to impose that type of restriction in the first place. There were other ways to manage this pandemic other than imprisoning the population in 5 km square areas over long drawn out periods not seen anywhere else in the world. Lockdowns were acceptable but not to the extent that the Irish government used them.

I agree. I see a very real danger of people forgetting that our rights are fundamental ones and accepting Glynn's 'degree of normality', which is the heavily restricted level 1. I find it concerning that there's no level 0 in that plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

It's like a game of Texas Hold em poker. They've gone in heavily on a pair of 5s. But after the flop, they've nothing better. Rather than fold, and cut their losses, they go in again. Then comes the turn, still nothing but they up the stakes again. The river follows and still all they have is a messily pair of 5s. Again, rather than fold, they go in again. To fold and cut their losses would be to admit they got it wrong, and that will never happen. So we will be the last country in Europe to come out of all this.

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭RunningFlyer

Maybe so but looking at their previous form over the past 12 months I just can't see it. MM is about as weak a leader as you will see anywhere. There are jellyfish in the Irish sea with more backbone than him. It's easier for him to hide behind D'Variant, case numbers, and NPHET, than to actually make a decision.

That made me chuckle :pac:

I'll actually be flabberghasted if our reward for the past few months is they only increase the 5km a small bit - it will just prove they are on a completely different planet. It is completely redundant at this stage. As many have noticed, I've seen so many people ignore the restrictions now. In my local supermarket at the weekend there were people openly chatting in the aisles saying how they were going to parties that evening, and was similar on Friday evening a load of young ones and lads glammed up buying booze, no doubt off to a party.

Everyone is already meeting up outdoors for walks, takeaway coffees etc. I also was sent contact details for a barber yesterday who is doing house visits if I wanted...

Time to change the metrics and finally learn to 'Live with COVID'. Wont hold my breath though! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,298 ✭✭✭facehugger99

SnuggyBear wrote: »
    lol

He posts the same sh:te every couple of weeks in this thread looking for a reaction.

Covid 19 brought to RTÉ in 2020 a very rare thing for them - a profit.

I'm disgusted at their behaviour, but not one bit surprised unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,716 ✭✭✭honda boi

Meant to be moving into a house in about a week.
    Was hoping this 5km would be relaxed. Absolutely draining it is.
    Sickened as plenty of good stuff on adverts and done deal for the house but obviously they way beyond this 5km.
    Don't know what the Garda would say about picking up furniture/ kitchen stuff

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,165 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Seeing the UK opening makes it even harder this morning. Brother out for a round of golf this afternoon, and my boss has his first 7-a-side game of football tomorrow night. How such minor things can seem like luxuries is just crazy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,908 ✭✭✭✭Busi_Girl08

honda boi wrote: »
    Meant to be moving into a house in about a week.
    Was hoping this 5km would be relaxed. Absolutely draining it is.
    Sickened as plenty of good stuff on adverts and done deal for the house but obviously they way beyond this 5km.
    Don't know what the Garda would say about picking up furniture/ kitchen stuff

Moving home should absolutely be essential travel. You should be fine.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement