Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part X *Read OP For Mod Warnings*

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,165 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Moving home is considered essential, as i did it in January. Not sure driving to pickup extra furniture would be though, so you may get stopped for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭mr zulu

What happened to this idea?

How high is too high?
    The higher the percent positive is, the more concerning it is. As a rule of thumb, however, one threshold for the percent positive being “too high” is 5%. For example, the World Health Organization recommended in May that the percent positive remain below 5% for at least two weeks before governments consider reopening. If we are successful in bringing coronavirus transmission under control, this threshold might be lowered over time. To further relax social restrictions and allow very large gatherings or meetings of people traveling from many different areas, for example, we would want a lower threshold.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,379 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

Kiith wrote: »
    Seeing the UK opening makes it even harder this morning. Brother out for a round of golf this afternoon, and my boss has his first 7-a-side game of football tomorrow night. How such minor things can seem like luxuries is just crazy.

Meanwhile our team of progressive scientists are meeting later to decide if we can reopen construction next week

A year after the rest of the globe decided its safe

France imposed severe regional restrictions last week that limited its citizens to within 10km of their homes

Hopefully our scientists allow us the freedom to to continue as the EUs most suppressed nation

Of course no need to take into account the vaccination of HCW’s and 500,000 vulnerable when brainstorming the recommendations

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,669 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Checkpoint outbound on the N4 again from this morning. Looks like theyre setting up for a few days / weeks.

Very convenient that its there the day before an announcement - Id say its to stop a mass exodus from Dublin this weekend - meanwhile us ordinary working people will have to put up with hours of delays trying to get home.

Disgraceful that theyve went back to this sh1t while we`re on the final stretch.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭Thinkingaboutit

Meanwhile our team of progressive scientists are meeting later to decide if we can reopen construction next week

A year after the rest of the globe decided its safe

France imposed severe regional restrictions last week that limited its citizens to within 10km of their homes

Hopefully our scientists allow us the freedom to to continue as the EUs most suppressed nation

Of course no need to take into account the vaccination of HCW’s and 500,000 vulnerable when brainstorming the recommendations

Honestly it'll never end until enough people start refusing to accept the insanity.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,716 ✭✭✭honda boi

Moving home should absolutely be essential travel. You should be fine.
    Ye moving to the house is fairly confident it's all above board.
    I see the issue is getting stuff for the house. There's nothing in the house. No appliances, furniture. Pre covid not an issue getting 2nd hand bargains. Now though it seems we all need to get brand new stuff, which is not financially possible.
    Kiith wrote: »
    Moving home is considered essential, as i did it in January. Not sure driving to pickup extra furniture would be though, so you may get stopped for that.
    Ye not sure what we going to do as it means that we need to buy everything brand new to make it legal. Which is insane.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,360 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Hellrazer wrote: »
    Checkpoint outbound on the N4 again from this morning. Looks like theyre setting up for a few days / weeks.

Very convenient that its there the day before an announcement - Id say its to stop a mass exodus from Dublin this weekend - meanwhile us ordinary working people will have to put up with hours of delays trying to get home.

Disgraceful that theyve went back to this sh1t!!!

It's almost as if there is a leadership vacuum

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭darem93

Seeing the UK reopening ahead of us was always going to be a bitter pill to swallow, but it coming on top of all the negativity and fearmongering coming out this week makes it even harder.

Yes of course their vaccine rollout is miles ahead of ours, but that is not the fault of the Irish public. This is why people are fed up of the constant finger pointing and blame game. The reason for these ridiculous and prolonged restrictions are a slow vaccine rollout and a poorly managed health service that seems to become "overran" way too easily, not "play dates" between children and people sitting in pubs and cafes that haven't been open in months...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

I really don't understand the walk in centres. They're closing on Wednesday. What's the point of bringing them in when we're at a rather low positivity rate?

Bring them in last May? No.

Bring them in last November? No.

Bring them in last January? No.

Bring them in for a week in March when our cases have dropped 95% from the peak and positivity rate is 3.5%? Yes.

darem93 wrote: »
    Seeing the UK reopening ahead of us was always going to be a bitter pill to swallow, but it coming on top of all the negativity and fearmongering coming out this week makes it even harder.

Yes of course their vaccine rollout is miles ahead of ours, but that is not the fault of the Irish public. This is why people are fed up of the constant finger pointing and blame game. The reason for these ridiculous and prolonged restrictions are a slow vaccine rollout and a poorly managed health service that seems to become "overran" way too easily, not "play dates" between children and people sitting in pubs and cafes that haven't been open in months...

These clear and obvious points never seems to find their way to a government politician or representative of the HSE/NPHET though.

Media doing a grand job.

As for the opposition... Good grief.

• Advertisement

Pussyhands wrote: »
    I really don't understand the walk in centres. They're closing on Wednesday. What's the point of bringing them in when we're at a rather low positivity rate?

Bring them in for a week in March when our cases have dropped 95% from the peak and positivity rate is 3.5%? Yes.

Desperate attempt to boost case numbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,908 ✭✭✭✭Busi_Girl08

honda boi wrote: »
    Ye moving to the house is fairly confident it's all above board.
    I see the issue is getting stuff for the house. There's nothing in the house. No appliances, furniture. Pre covid not an issue getting 2nd hand bargains. Now though it seems we all need to get brand new stuff, which is not financially possible.

Ye not sure what we going to do as it means that we need to buy everything brand new to make it legal. Which is insane.

I've been busting my arse all year to be compliant with the restrictions, but if a guard told me off for trying to collect furnishings for my new home I would tell them where to go and argue it in court. We're not talking about going for a jolly around Home Store and More here.

I would also argue that the collection of appliances/furnishings would all be under the banner of "moving home".

I've been busting my arse all year to be compliant with the restrictions, but if a guard told me off for trying to collect furnishings for my new home I would tell them where to go and argue it in court. We're not talking about going for a jolly around Home Store and More here.

I would also argue that the collection of appliances/furnishings would all be under the banner of "moving home".

You can't even buy cutlery at the moment so I believe going to court would be quite quixotic.

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭violator13

Hellrazer wrote: »

Disgraceful that theyve went back to this sh1t while we`re on the final stretch.

Yes it seems like they are back up alright
    I live in swords and they have set up the road checks again around here .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,064 ✭✭✭j@utis

Pussyhands wrote: »

I absolutely disgusted hearing this on the radio couple weeks ago "you should go in and get tested even if you have no symptoms", it was "just go in for a crack of it" sort of thing, and if you're positive - that's great to keep those case numbers going :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,915 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Were being told they wont be happy to ease restrictions until the cases drop below 500, well hello if you take out Dublin we are doing below that magic figure but sure NEPHET will not do that they will keep us locked down for as long as they want to

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Klonker

If it is unfortunately 6 weeks until the next review, which would be 17th May, I'd like to see as part of the announcement on Tuesday reference to where they estimate us to be by 17th May in terms of vaccinations and what that would mean for us in terms of case numbers, hospitalisations and deaths.

For example, I think its reasonable to expect vaccines groupings as far as group 7 to have received at least a first dose by then. That would mean all over 70s and all 16+ of very high risk and 16+ of high risk. That's a rough guide of where I think we'll could be but obviously NPHET should be able to give more accurate data in terms of first and second doses. From that they should be able to estimate how much this take off our R number compared to if nobody was vaccinated. They should be able to tell us how many they'd expect to end up in hospital per 1,000 cases and how many would die from those 1,000 cases. And explain how they came to these figures, not like the throwaway comment '35 hospitalised for every 1,000 cases after elderly and vulnerable hospitalised' from Leo and Ronan Glynn, where it wasn't mentioned what groupings they meant by the elderly and vulnerable and where it wasn't explained how less than 35 of 1,000 cases now of under are hospitalised and but this will somehow increase once the vulnerable are vaccinated :confused:

If we know what we are working towards with these lockdowns, what groups we are protecting and by what numbers I think there could be a lot more buy in. At the moment, even if they aren't being dishonest to us a lot of people think they are as they are not being up front with us. Same as now with the slight increase in cases. Be honest and say its more than likely due to the fact we are testing 20,000 extra a week and it's more of a plateau than an increase but they are very slow to say this, the scarier is always the tactic they go for.

lawred2 wrote: »
    Desperate attempt to boost case numbers.

Christ Almighty.

j@utis wrote: »
    I absolutely disgusted hearing this on the radio couple weeks ago "you should go in and get tested even if you have no symptoms", it was "just go in for a crack of it" sort of thing, and if you're positive - that's great to keep those case numbers going :confused:

F*ucking Hell

Christ Almighty.

Indeed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭Aph2016

Checkpoints are back on the N7, interesting, 5km limit not being scrapped?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,857 ✭✭✭growleaves

Got a promotion too last week, 2021 has been a oddly great year professionally too.

Keep falling upwards, eh?

Congratulations.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭the kelt

Klonker wrote: »
    If it is unfortunately 6 weeks until the next review, which would be 17th May, I'd like to see as part of the announcement on Tuesday reference to where they estimate us to be by 17th May in terms of vaccinations and what that would mean for us in terms of case numbers, hospitalisations and deaths.

For example, I think its reasonable to expect vaccines groupings as far as group 7 to have received at least a first dose by then. That would mean all over 70s and all 16+ of very high risk. That's a rough guide of where I think we'll could be but obviously NPHET should be able to give more accurate data in terms of first and second doses. From that they should be able to estimate how much this take off out R number compared to if nobody was vaccinated. They should be able to tell us how many they'd expect to end up in hospital per 1,000 cases and how many would die from those 1,000 cases. And explain how they came to these figures, not like the throwaway comment '35 hospitalised for every 1,000 cases after elderly and vulnerable hospitalised' from Leo and Ronan Glynn, where it wasn't mentioned what groupings they meant by the elderly and vulnerable and where it wasn't explained how less than 35 of 1,000 cases now of under are hospitalised and but this will somehow increase once the vulnerable are vaccinated :confused:

If we know what we are working towards with these lockdowns, what groups we are protecting and by what numbers I think there could be a lot more buy in. At the moment, even if they aren't being dishonest to us a lot of people think they are as they are not being up front with us. Same as now with the slight increase in cases. Be honest and say its more than likely due to the fact we are testing 20,000 extra a week and it's more of a plateau than an increase but they are very slow to say this, the scarier is always the tactic they go for.

All you say is possible, its even necessary imho.

But i wouldnt hold my breath waiting for that kind of information to be honest.

We have people here defending restrictions who didnt think it was appropriate at the time asking for details of how many are being vaccinated etc.

I fully expect another sparkling media performance taking the mushroom growing approach. Throw in a little bit of populace fear and guilt to garnish things and a rehash of the "arrah sure we'll see" approach.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,716 ✭✭✭honda boi

Same as yourself, me and the family been compliant with these restrictions.
    Kids absolutely sick of doing there usual activities through zoom.
    Lost my job the end of last year due to covid and now they don't let people travel to pick up 2nd hand goods, brilliant it is.
    And another thing is technically I can't ask any friends or family for help moving as there further then 5km from me. So it will be fun moving stuff with 3 kids on my own.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,718 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Storm 10 wrote: »
    Were being told they wont be happy to ease restrictions until the cases drop below 500, well hello if you take out Dublin we are doing below that magic figure but sure NEPHET will not do that they will keep us locked down for as long as they want to
    Last time I checked Dublin was part of Ireland....it's also NPHET...not NEPHET. They only provide advice it is up to the government to implement or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,298 ✭✭✭facehugger99

honda boi wrote: »
    Same as yourself, me and the family been compliant with these restrictions.
    Kids absolutely sick of doing there usual activities through zoom.
    Lost my job the end of last year due to covid and now they don't let people travel to pick up 2nd hand goods, brilliant it is.
    And another thing is technically I can't ask any friends or family for help moving as there further then 5km from me. So it will be fun moving stuff with 3 kids on my own.

Being 'compliant with the restrictions' is not what will get us out of this. We are one of the most suppressed nations on the planet. The Government have handed all control over to a body of unelected, single-issue zealots.

It's about time people woke up and stopped blindly following the nonsensical bollox they're coming out with.

It is our country and our children's futures that is being systematically destroyed - the politicians and bureaucrats are all well insulated from any of the economic sh;tstorm that is coming.

Hoping that if we're all good little boys and girls they'll throw us a few crumbs in not working.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭Apoapsis Rex

gmisk wrote: »
    Last time I checked Dublin was part of Ireland....it's also NPHET...not NEPHET. They only provide advice it is up to the government to implement or not.

According to government sources via the independent nphet will have the sway. And notice construction is not mentioned..

https://m.independent.ie/world-news/coronavirus/six-moreweeks-of-lockdown-likely-as-covid-figures-remain-stubbornly-high-40249787.html

• Registered Users Posts: 48,212 ✭✭✭✭km79

According to government sources via the independent nphet will have the sway. And notice construction is not mentioned..

https://m.independent.ie/world-news/coronavirus/six-moreweeks-of-lockdown-likely-as-covid-figures-remain-stubbornly-high-40249787.html

I think/hope it’s bundled in with “outdoor activity “
    I’m getting less and less optimistic now though tbh

Rte have the same actually but so mention construction as part of outdoor activity
    “Phased return”

• Registered Users Posts: 11,976 ✭✭✭✭titan18

A 6 week review is fecking ridiculous too. There should be reviews every 3 weeks. So much for being lead by data not dates if you go with a 6 week review before doing anything again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

Government and NPHET just hide behind each other to defend their decisions.

"NPHET told us we must do X, so they're the experts and we have to do it!"

"Government are responsible for the economy, we only give health advice!"

It's a cosy little thing they have going on because both of them can fob off responsibility and blame.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement