Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part X *Read OP For Mod Warnings*

Options

Comments

I genuinely can't understand how people don't have a grasp of the fact people can only deal with harsh restrictions for a limited amount of time. It's pretty elementary.

I do understand how lockdowns work. But I also am cognisant that having a dinner party with unvaccinated friends is going to cause the numbers to go up rather than down. The more people mix, the more opportunity for spread.

A six year old can understand that.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭LameBeaver

Oh yea. I go around taking photo's of people's funerals. Go back to bed you clown.

I asked for any comments/pictures/footage about this supposed funeral on FB/Twitter etc. And you can`t provide any but just come out with a jibe. I wonder who exactly is the "clown" here chief.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,987 ✭✭✭normanoffside

Your 6-year-old niece is a child who has been told what to think. Much like the fella in the last thread who knew someone whose child was now terrified of leaving the house in case the virus killed them. The old "invoking the child" thing is never the gotcha people think it is.

But sure, tell me, why have you come to the conclusion that I "don't have a grasp of how the virus works"?

Or are you just offended that someone has a different level of risk tolerance to you?

You should know by now that intelligence is the ability to repeat what you are told by NPHET, government and the media.

Anyone who can think for themselves or question what they are told is considered to be stupid.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭ypres5

Oh yea. I go around taking photo's of people's funerals. Go back to bed you clown.

He expected a poster last week to take pictures of kids going to school as proof they had to stand outside in the rain while they got their hands sanitized so it's true to form

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭ypres5

LameBeaver wrote: »
    I asked for links to FB or social media chief. And you can`t provide any but just come out with a jibe. I wonder who exactly is the "clown" here chief.

How is he going to know whose funeral it was and why do you care so much? also no one thinks calling people chief is cool it's just reddit tier cringe

• Advertisement

Your 6-year-old niece is a child who has been told what to think. Much like the fella in the last thread who knew someone whose child was now terrified of leaving the house in case the virus killed them. The old "invoking the child" thing is never the gotcha people think it is.

But sure, tell me, why have you come to the conclusion that I "don't have a grasp of how the virus works"?

Or are you just offended that someone has a different level of risk tolerance to you?
    I'm simplify it for you.

If unvaccinated people have dinner parties, this will increase community transmission as you have different households mixing. You have no immunity to this virus. Could spread it to the parents etc.

I don't particularly care about your risk tolerance, I was just stating that your assumption that it's safe to have dinner parties with unvaccinated friends was misguided and displayed cloudy judgement.

I asked for links to FB or social media chief. And you can`t provide any but just come out with a jibe. I wonder who exactly is the "clown" here chief.

Are you not asleep yet? Ignored!

ypres5 wrote: »
    How is he going to know whose funeral it was and why do you care so much? also no one thinks calling people chief is cool it's just reddit tier cringe

Well firstly, he insinuated it was a Traveller's funeral just because there were a lot of people outside the church. But it doesn't matter because he only takes Facebook posts as proof.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,636 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

I do understand how lockdowns work. But I also am cognisant that having a dinner party with unvaccinated friends is going to cause the numbers to go up rather than down. The more people mix, the more opportunity for spread.

A six year old can understand that.
    I'm simplify it for you.

If unvaccinated people have dinner parties, this will increase community transmission as you have different households mixing. You have no immunity to this virus. Could spread it to the parents etc.

I don't particularly care about your risk tolerance, I was just stating that your assumption that it's safe to have dinner parties with unvaccinated friends was misguided and displayed cloudy judgement.

What you seem to be missing is that people are increasingly willing to tolerate that increased risk of spread in order to return to a more normal life. This was always going to happen if lockdown went on for too long.

What you seem to be missing is that people are increasingly willing to tolerate that increased risk of spread in order to return to a more normal life. This was always going to happen if lockdown went on for too long.

I totally get what you are saying. Lockdowns are rough. To be honest, I find them difficult and I am working most of the time.

But the poster was suggesting that because he wasn't having dinner with unvaccinated over 80s, that there was no risk. I was just point out he was incorrect or maybe speaking disingenuously.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Nokotan wrote: »
    With the median age range of the new cases falling (less vulnerable people getting infected) and the most vulnerable vaccinated does this not massively affect any previous models to predict future hospitalization and ICU?

Add to that mass testing of asymptomatic people who are not sick possibly increasing the number of positive tests.

From what I remember the positivity rate is low and going down too.

Not sure. Recent 14 day data continue to show that approx 50% of all those in hospital with covid are under 65. Dont have an age breakdown but there is evidence that significant number of all those in hospital with covid do not have underlying conditions.

How much is attributable to vaccinations and / or the much higher rate of transmissibility of the
    B.1.1.1.7 variant which is now dominant we don't know ..

If someone makes a claim such as this poster and for that matter others have then it is entirely justifiable to ask for some evidence to be provided that events happened as claimed. And as for your bolded comment I`ll take it on advisement chief.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,657 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

He expected a poster last week to take pictures of kids going to school as proof they had to stand outside in the rain while they got their hands sanitized so it's true to form

Reminds me of an old poster who regularly posted in an aggressive, superior manner and also hounded someone for days to take pictures of their illegal haircut so he could see.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,321 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Sadly can't see this been the end of Level 5 in this country

If numbers don't fall come mid May then a returning Dr Tony will want Level 5 once again.

Autumn/Winter 2021 is a big worry

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

gozunda wrote: »
    Not sure. Recent 14 day data cintinue to show that approx 50 of all those in hospital with covid are under 50. Dont gave a age breakdown but there is evidence that significant number ic all those in hospital with covid do not have underlying conditions.

I think we're going to see one of two things happen as the vaccine rollout progresses.

Either the number of hospitalisations will steadily drop, or the average age of those hospitalised will drop.

Hopefully it will be the number of hospitalisations as that should be the best indicator restrictions can change.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭manofwisdom

What will these April 5th restrictions be called, Level 5 minus, Level 4 plus or something else?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭ShyMets

If someone makes a claim such as this poster and for that matter others have then it is entirely justifiable to ask for some evidence to be provided that events happened as claimed. And as for your bolded comment I`ll take it on advisement chief.

Nothing passive aggressive about that comment at all

I'm simplify it for you.

Covid doesn’t just spontaneously appear whenever more than one human being is in the same space. This is a fundamental misunderstanding of how viruses spread at a very remedial level.

People who are not infected with Covid have zero chance of spreading Covid.

On the (very low) off chance that someone was asymptomatically infected while we met by a child picking up Covid in school in a very low (practically zero) infection area, the people who will also be infected are those who decided that the risk of being so was tolerable.

Covid doesn’t just spontaneously appear whenever more than one human being is in the same space. This is a fundamental misunderstanding of how viruses spread at a very remedial level.

On the (very low) off chance that someone was asymptomatically infected while we met by a child picking up Covid in school in a very low (practically zero) infection area, the people who will also be infected are those who decided that the risk of being so was tolerable.

Interesting.

Makes you wonder how the virus is spreading at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

****ing hell.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭the kelt

Graham wrote: »
    I think we're going to see one of two things happen as the vaccine rollout progresses.

Either the number of hospitalisations will steadily drop, or the average age of those hospitalised will drop.

Hopefully it will be the number of hospitalisations as that should be the best indicator restrictions can change.

Is it entirely possible that in reality with the new strain and the fact schools are back (and should remain so hopefully) that when it comes to case numbers will remain in or around the 500 point?

Genuine question?

Is it just foolish to be expecting case numbers to fall any lower?

My understanding is that case numbers have remained relatively static in or around the 50/600 mark yet hospitalisations and numbers in ICU have dropped. I stand to be corrected on that as dont have figures to hand)

But the poster was suggesting that because he wasn't having dinner with unvaccinated over 80s, that there was no risk.

You’ll be able to link to where I said there was no risk easily enough then, sure?

ShyMets wrote: »
    Nothing passive aggressive about that comment at all

Glad you agree chief.

Graham wrote: »
    Interesting.

Makes you wonder how the virus is spreading at all.

The fact that SARS-CoV-2 does not spontaneously the air makes you wonder how it’s spreading at all?

A lot of your posts make much more sense now.

the kelt wrote: »
    Is it entirely possible that in reality with the new strain and the fact schools are back (and should remain so hopefully) that when it comes to case numbers will remain in or around the 500 point?

Genuine question?

Is it just foolish to be expecting case numbers to fall any lower?

My understanding is that case numbers have remained relatively static in or around the 50/600 mark yet hospitalisations and numbers in ICU have dropped. I stand to be corrected on that as dont have figures to hand)

That's a really good question, I think only time will tell us the answer.

I guessed a few posts back that either the number of hospitalisations will steadily drop, or the average age of those hospitalised will drop.

If hospitalisations start to drop steadily/consistently, happy days :)

How do you know that you don't have COVID right now? Do you ask for negative PCR's before you allow anbody into your dinner parties?

The fact that SARS-CoV-2 does not spontaneously the air makes you wonder how it’s spreading at all?

:confused:

no idea what you're trying to say there Cymro.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

You're missing the point there.

It has been estimated that up to 80% of people with covid are asymptomatic. But that does not mean they will not either spread or develop the disease.

In fact that is what what has led to the setting up of pop up testing as .many simply do not know they've became infected at least in the early stages.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/health/high-level-of-asymptomatic-covid-cases-in-dublin-hot-spot-a-worry-1.4522485

I'm amazed some don't seem to understand this tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭ShyMets

Glad you agree chief.

I'd kindly ask you not to refer to me as chief

• Advertisement

How do you know that you don't have COVID right now? Do you ask for negative PCR's before you allow anbody into your dinner parties?

I don’t know that I don’t have Covid-19 right now.

I mean it’s very unlikely, since I’ve already had it, but I don’t *know* that I don’t have it.

What difference does that make to a meeting of people who have judged the risk tolerable for themselves and pose no risk of infection to anyone else?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement