Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part X *Read OP For Mod Warnings*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭Sobit1964

later in April two households could meet outdoors in a park but not in a private garden.

They really suck at presenting something in a manner that doesn't get the hackles up.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,379 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

So when is an official announcement being made ?

When we have eaten all our dinner and done all of our homework the man is going to tell us where we can go for the next while.

I hope you behaved good like I did

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭darconio

You know what's infuriating? the fact that despite all the evidence that the lockdown doesn't work and is a draconian measure, despite the ineptitude of the government and the people in charge, there is still a big number of users supporting them and actually blaming the average joe for the catastrophic economic/social situation.
    In this together do you remember?
    We have wasted 1 year behind this, now is time to accept that we want to live, we want our freedom back, we are keeping everything locked because the very essence of selfness is located exactly in those that want lockdown at all costs: I've done my part, time for you to do yours.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭the kelt

RobitTV wrote: »
    One *outdoor* measure being relaxed per week is being considered...

Irish Times - The Cabinet is expected to consider a phased return of outdoor activities when Ministers meet to decide on what restrictions to ease from April 5th. Sources have said one measure per week could be relaxed as part of the Government’s new plan.

Moving in increments could minimise the risk of rapidly losing control of case numbers, which remain at a high plateau, sources believe.

The ‘big bang’ means we could go from 600 cases a day to 2,000 cases a week,” a Government source said. “It allows us to be that little bit more cautious, especially with what we’re seeing elsewhere. We’ve had a third wave, most of Europe is in their third wave, and we don’t want a fourth wave.”

This could mean that the 5km travel restriction is eased one week, the remaining school classes on another and later in April two households could meet outdoors in a park but not in a private garden.

Irish Times

Its almost like theyve had a meeting to decide "if we have to ease some restrictions whats the most annoying way possible of doing do!"

Or maybe thats just me? At this stage i dont really know anymore.

SAMTALK wrote: »
    So from the start last year you had a problem with restrictions ? I'm not arguing with you by the way, but did you not think last March that yes we needed restrictions to get a hold of this virus

No. I was very concerned about the virus when I started following news of it from China in December/January 2020, and thought it would be way worse than it had been. But my opinion is and has always been that the only way to deal with it is radical honesty from government, unfiltered information and recommendation, and letting people and businesses make decisions for themselves. If a business decides to bar people without face coverings, that is its own decision.

The problem we have now is that people are not actually thinking for themselves and therefore don’t think they have to. We’ve gone so far down the nanny state road that when things eventually do open up, people will see it as a sign that all risk is gone and will stop taking precautions.

There are myriad things I would not be doing right now regardless of restrictions (seeing vulnerable relatives and so on), and there are similarly thing I *will* do regardless of them. Much the same as I never drove 80 on a winding country road even when the sign told me I could, but I was alright doing 130 on a quiet motorway.

If the government had focused on minding nursing homes and healthcare settings, increasing the capacity of the healthcare system and advising the citizenry on preventative measures (even speculative, if harmless) then we’d be in a much better position. And blaming people for wanting to behave like people will never, in my eyes, absolve them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48,213 ✭✭✭✭km79

They have “commited to review construction restrictions “
    In yere own time lads
    It’s not like people need homes anyway .....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭TonyMaloney

No. I was very concerned about the virus when I started following news of it from China in December/January 2020, and thought it would be way worse than it had been. But my opinion is and has always been that the only way to deal with it is radical honesty from government, unfiltered information and recommendation, and letting people and businesses make decisions for themselves. If a business decides to bar people without face coverings, that is its own decision.

You've decided it's safe enough to have dinner parties. I see from Boggles post that you have kids. I assume you're sending them to creche/school?

If so you're a classic example of why public health has had to make massive interventions on all of us.

You've decided it's safe enough to have dinner parties. I see from Boggles post that you have kids. I assume you're sending them to creche/school?

If so you're a classic example of why public health has had to make massive interventions on all of us.

Dinner party is singular.

The children broke up for Easter on Friday. Which is why Saturday was the date picked. They will be two weeks before they’re mixing with other children whose households may not be so cautious with the elderly/vulnerable again.

Sorry you can’t trust your own judgment, Tone.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭RobitTV

Mícheál Martin always has this unbearable smirk. Great to see Fianna Failures on 11% in the most recent opinion poll.

https://twitter.com/EFFanning/status/1376548295804399620

• Registered Users Posts: 7,636 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

Mícheál Martin always has this unbearable smirk.

He's like this every time someone questions him. He's obnoxious.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭SAMTALK

The problem we have now is that people are not actually thinking for themselves and therefore don’t think they have to. We’ve gone so far down the nanny state road that when things eventually do open up, people will see it as a sign that all risk is gone and will stop taking precautions.

There are myriad things I would not be doing right now regardless of restrictions (seeing vulnerable relatives and so on), and there are similarly thing I *will* do regardless of them. Much the same as I never drove 80 on a winding country road even when the sign told me I could, but I was alright doing 130 on a quiet motorway.

If the government had focused on minding nursing homes and healthcare settings, increasing the capacity of the healthcare system and advising the citizenry on preventative measures (even speculative, if harmless) then we’d be in a much better position. And blaming people for wanting to behave like people will never, in my eyes, absolve them.

I totally agree re nursing homes (non private) and healthcare. This has always been an issue in ireland and I think always will, much to our shame

We can blame NPHET, we can blame the government but it's down to the general public to try and halt this as much as possible ( without a lot of the restrictions that are in place ).

The way I see it is if the government give the people an inch they will take a mile, as already people are going about their business as much as is possible

Best of luck with the move by the way

At least NPHET have agreed to some easing!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,976 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Mícheál Martin always has this unbearable smirk. Great to see Fianna Failures on 11% in the most recent opinion poll.

Definitely had haircuts the two of them too.

SAMTALK wrote: »
    The way I see it is if the government give the people an inch they will take a mile, as already people are going about their business as much as is possible

Best of luck with the move by the way

I guess I just don’t feel this way. I think people are generally pretty sensible and good at accounting for various risks. I don’t hold “the great unwashed” in any particular disdain.

Thanks for the well wishes. I think we’ll need ‘em lol. Speaking to UK family who are starting to benefit from the (albeit slow) return of their liberties though, so it’ll be worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭Aph2016

MM is infuriating. He has absolutely zero backbone, his level of leadership is appalling.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭LessOutragePlz

At least NPHET have agreed to some easing!

Yeah how nice of them to let people in counties with very low cases move 5km further than the original 5km.

Absolute joke that regional restrictions aren't even being considered.

Look at Sligo, Leitrim, Cork and Kerry and tell me that they should still be in a level 5 lockdown beyond April 5th!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,358 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

People, remember this next time Fianna Fail come to the door asking you to vote for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭ypres5

I'd love to know what he has to be arrogant about he's barely a year in the door and he's already considered one of the worst leaders in Ireland's history at this point he makes Brian cowen look like jfk

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭ypres5

Aph2016 wrote: »
    MM is infuriating. He has absolutely zero backbone, his level of leadership is appalling.

His level of 'leadership' is the level of a stressed out geography teacher trying to control a rowdy class

• Registered Users Posts: 2,211 ✭✭✭LineOfBeauty

I dunno how everyone else is feeling but today's been the worst day yet I think. Weather is lovely out, Britain have outdoor sports and rule of 6 finishing up. We're being told via newspapers that the best we can look forward to is an end to the 5k rule that basically nobody adheres to anyway. It's the end of March, we're basically stuck like this til June at the earliest. No hope, no optimism, nothing. It's maddening.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,321 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

I dunno how everyone else is feeling but today's been the worst day yet I think. Weather is lovely out, Britain have outdoor sports and rule of 6 finishing up. We're being told via newspapers that the best we can look forward to is an end to the 5k rule that basically nobody adheres to anyway. It's the end of March, we're basically stuck like this til June at the earliest. No hope, no optimism, nothing. It's maddening.

Get ya

NPHET could suggest level 5 again if the numbers don't go down and the spineless cowards in the Government will accept it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭the kelt

One *outdoor* measure being relaxed per week is being considered...

Irish Times - The Cabinet is expected to consider a phased return of outdoor activities when Ministers meet to decide on what restrictions to ease from April 5th. Sources have said one measure per week could be relaxed as part of the Government’s new plan.

Moving in increments could minimise the risk of rapidly losing control of case numbers, which remain at a high plateau, sources believe.

The ‘big bang’ means we could go from 600 cases a day to 2,000 cases a week,” a Government source said. “It allows us to be that little bit more cautious, especially with what we’re seeing elsewhere. We’ve had a third wave, most of Europe is in their third wave, and we don’t want a fourth wave.”

This could mean that the 5km travel restriction is eased one week, the remaining school classes on another and later in April two households could meet outdoors in a park but not in a private garden.

Irish Times

The ‘big bang’means we could go from 600 cases a day to 2,000 cases a week,” a Government source said.

At this stage im actually confused, surely going from 600 cases a day to 2,000 cases a week would be a reduction in actual numbers, a pretty significant reduction or am i just so bamboozled with everything that its all a blur of numbers, weeks etc etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,211 ✭✭✭LineOfBeauty

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Get ya

NPHET could suggest level 5 again if the numbers don't go down and the spineless cowards in the Government will accept it

I'm not a politician nor have I any background in science, I can only speak on how it feels to live through this like the majority of us. It's miserable, going to the same news sites multiple times every day hoping for some good news or refreshing the pages on here looking for the same. I've said it a few times, I understand why we're not in a nightclub while they're rolling out the vaccine but the extent of lockdown rules have been too harsh to live through for too long. There's low risk options that surely wouldn't cause a sudden surge that we could be allowed? And, even though they claim differently, would anyone be at all surprised if we don't get what Britain will have in June til like the end of the year, or later, if there's a rise in cases again in Winter?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

the kelt wrote: »
    The ‘big bang’means we could go from 600 cases a day to 2,000 cases a week,” a Government source said.

At this stage im actually confused, surely going from 600 cases a day to 2,000 cases a week would be a reduction in actual numbers, a pretty significant reduction or am i just so bamboozled with everything that its all a blur of numbers, weeks etc etc.

Don't you question the Government.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,360 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

seamusk84 wrote: »
    Not in a garden. That part particularly galls me.

If they had any sense they would allow people to meet in their gardens. By saying this will still not be allowed, it will just mean people will continue to meet indoors in their houses.

Where is the logic here? I thought we are trying to curb the virus, not force it underground.

Pure delusion on their behalf.

Those new restrictions change nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 965 ✭✭✭SnuggyBear

Any sign of this surge lads?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,164 ✭✭✭C__MC

Still can't understand why counties with low levels can't go back to level by level restrictions.
    For example Cork and kerry should be level 3 comfortablly

• Registered Users Posts: 3,164 ✭✭✭C__MC

Aph2016 wrote: »

Hell pay fór this in the next GE

• Registered Users Posts: 2,908 ✭✭✭The Big Easy

C__MC wrote: »
    Still can't understand why counties with low levels can't go back to level by level restrictions.
    For example Cork and kerry should be level 3 comfortablly

Don't you know we're all in it together :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,750 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

C__MC wrote: »
    Hell pay fór this in the next GE

The irony is he won’t... he’s loved in his constituency and will sail back into office (he’ll no longer be leader of FF no doubt). If the whole country got to vote on his future however, it would be a very different story.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement