Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part X *Read OP For Mod Warnings*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,857 ✭✭✭growleaves

PTH2009 wrote: »
    NPHET should be disbanded

I'm reminded of Oliver Cromwell's famous words to the Rump Parliament in 1653:

"You have sat too long for any good you have been doing lately. Depart, I say; and let us have done with you. In the name of God, go!"

• Registered Users Posts: 3,409 ✭✭✭Tork

Leftwaffe wrote: »
    Press conferences should be taken off air. They have reached cult status now unfortunately.

If the press conferences weren't on the air, we'd certainly hear all about it in this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Daily numbers are higher now than in the first wave. The first lockdown

More testing being done now though, and now voluntary testing with the walk ins. Its easy to count case numbers and stop there, but testing, hospitalisations, ICU numbers etc etc have to be taken into account strongly.

Rabbiting case numbers and then folding the arms is a false view of the picture.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭CruelSummer

Fair enough but what happened at Christmas which led to upwards of 6k cases a day cant be allowed to happen again.

The only way to put this virus to bed is vaccinations. The single dose Johnson and Johnson vaccine will be key

Ronald Glynn himself at a press conference in Feb said the main wave for this year is now over here. I’m not saying open up and let it rip, but what they’re currently expecting of the population after what people have been coping with since January, also Oct/Nov, March -June 2020, is unrealistic in the extreme.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,857 ✭✭✭growleaves

Downlinz wrote: »
    It would drive you to despair how so many in this country will jump through whatever hoops necessary to avoid blaming FF/FG for political decisions.

It's always the fault of someone else.

NPHET are the bureaucratic mechanism by which FF/FG deniably prioritise covid over all other concerns and confuse people by muddying the perception of where authority is vested.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭ExMachina1000

Ronald Glynn himself at a press conference in Feb said the main wave for this year is now over here. I’m not saying open up and let it rip, but what they’re currently expecting of the population after what people have been coping with since January, also Oct/Nov, March -June 2020, is unrealistic in the extreme.

Glynn or no other person on the planet decides when the virus is finished. It sounds like he mispoke
    What would your alternative be?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

NPHET needs to be disbanded tonight.

It is a very valid point.

It is a National Public Health EMERGENCY Team apparently.

It is,I feel,of interest to quote from the Documents setting out the initial scope of the Temporary legislation.

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/2020/act/1/section/10/enacted/en/html#sec10
    31A. (1) The Minister may, having regard to the immediate, exceptional and manifest risk posed to human life and public health by the spread of Covid-19 and to the matters specified in subsection (2), make regulations for the purpose of preventing, limiting, minimising or slowing the spread of Covid-19 (including the spread outside the State) or where otherwise necessary, to deal with public health risks arising from the spread of Covid-19 and, without prejudice to the generality of the foregoing, such regulations may, in particular, provide for all or any of the following:

We are now a full year into the imposition of "Temporary" and far reaching variations of this 1947 Heath Act's provisions.

Whilst it can be held that the State did face "Immediate exceptional & manifest" issues regarding Covid between March and August 2010,it is increasingly obvious that these terms are no longer accurate in relation to the situation in March 2021.

This is not the Second World War,which was a true Emergency,and of such importance that the actual State of Emergency was not rescinded until 1976.

If,as many posters appear to propose,we continue in the same cautious vein as an tUacharain De Valera,then our Section 31A will still be in joyous effect in 2061.

It is high time to challenge the basis for maintaining this "Emergency Team",followed by setting about dismantling the entire edifice of "Temporary Restrictions" on Public Freedoms under the Covid banner.

Currently,cases alone,immaterial of the number,no longer constitute a Public Health Emergency.

There is much else at play here,and immediate Public Health Concerns are now well down the list of things to stress about.

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭RobitTV

Why is there a 'comedian' on Claire Byrne discussing the lockdown restrictions? A total circus of a show.

The show is more hysterical then ever before tonight. They were giggling away earlier when they were discussing closed hairdressers. I don't see what is so funny about the situation.

Luke O'Neill endlessly repeating - "We will get there, just wait another few weeks and the beer gardens will be open and you can get a haircut"

Sweet Jesus.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,979 ✭✭✭✭JRant

Are they though? They’ve to test 20,000 people to find 500/600 cases, plus open up pop up centres to find asymptomatic cases. This is compared to daily testing of 10-12k per day prior to Christmas. Deaths and hospitalisations are continuing to fall thankfully, this should be the only metric that matters.

Someone needs to get paid for carrying out all those COVID tests.

On a serious note, there is very little to be gained from looking at the cases alone. They are constantly changing the who, what, where of the testing to such a degree as to making any sense out of them next to useless.

Nolan won't release his figures. MM probably doesn't understand them anyway. He's like Ron Burgundy and would probably stand there tomorrow and say "go füçk yourself San Diego" if it was in NPHETS recommendations.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

RobitTV wrote: »
    Why is there a 'comedian' on Claire Byrne discussing the lockdown restrictions? A total circus of a show.

The show is more hysterical then ever before tonight. They were giggling away earlier when they were discussing closed hairdressers. I don't see what is so funny about the situation.

Luke O'Neill endlessly repeating - "We will get there, just wait another few weeks and the beer gardens will be open and you can get a haircut"

Sweet Jesus.

But doesn’t that just sum up exactly what the government thinks of people’s mental health, it’s a laughing matter to them, always has , always will be....

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 452 ✭✭Sharpyshoot

Will golf be allowed reopen shortly?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

growleaves wrote: »
    I'm reminded of Oliver Cromwell's famous words to the Rump Parliament in 1653:

"You have sat too long for any good you have been doing lately. Depart, I say; and let us have done with you. In the name of God, go!"

Now that IS cool......I wonder if we crowdfunded a huge banner and rented a small aircraft fitted with speakers a lá Apocalypse Now,could we buzz the NPHET sessions and the Dáil sittings.....We gotta start thinking outside the box,either that or we allow Oliver's Army to once again dominate this land....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LrjHz5hrupA

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

I think the government are going to take a Mulligan on that one tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭RobitTV

Turn on RTE now to see Luke O'Neill discuss the deadly variants...

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭RGS

Looks like children's golf will open before adult golf, if the leaks are to be believed.
    Looks like kids sports will return before adult sport.

That's if they understand golf is played by kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

Sorry, havnt been following since april 2020, is there any update?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,840 ✭✭✭redarmy

Changes in April are likely to be limited. The 5km rule is expected to go - any other changes will likely be adapted on a phased basis.

The hope being that you don’t change too much too soon and cause infections to surge again.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,321 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

https://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/gaa/arid-40253960.html

Was hopefully earlier that the season would start in April/May and it would be something to look forward to every weekend and during the week but with the latest rumblings i dont think it will get the green light now. Really hope i'm wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭bloopy

RobitTV wrote: »

Sweet Jesus.

I am increasingly of the opinion that they are either mocking us or they just plain hate us.
    Or both.

redarmy wrote: »
    Changes in April are likely to be limited. The 5km rule is expected to go - any other changes will likely be adapted on a phased basis.

The hope being that you don’t change too much too soon and cause infections to surge again.

And they can't put dates or figures on the reopening as some things may change. Sure, lads, ya can't be doing that.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 452 ✭✭Sharpyshoot

...to go to what ?

Will have to be county travel. This 8 or 10k suggestion can’t be real.

• Registered Users Posts: 965 ✭✭✭SnuggyBear

bloopy wrote: »
    I am increasingly of the opinion that they are either mocking us or they just plain hate us.
    Or both.

Pretty insulting alright

bloopy wrote: »
    Or both.

"Never ascribe malice when it can be explained with incompetence. "
    Pretty much sums up Irish politicians over the past 20 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭Pepsirebel

Will have to be county travel. This 8 or 10k suggestion can’t be real.

Agreed, it has to be county at the very least but unfortunately, I think it more than likely will be a token of a few km's....and they'll pat themselves on the back for that - bunch of charlatans

This will pop a few forehead veins here lol

https://twitter.com/gavreilly/status/1376654259014492160?s=20

Honestly I've no problem with the lockdowns. I hope they are not eased until it is safe to do so. The last thing we should see is politics taking precedence and the lifting of restrictions just to placate a few whiners and cry babies.

Hold firm, get the vax rolled out and lift them when enough have been given the 2 shots.

Won't though, because we left the decision in the hands of the politicians.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭ExMachina1000

Honestly I've no problem with the lockdowns. I hope they are not eased until it is safe to do so. The last thing we should see is politics taking precedence and the lifting of restrictions just to placate a few whiners and cry babies.

Hold firm, get the vax rolled out and lift them when enough have been given the 2 shots.

1 shot once the J&J vaccine gets going. Can be stored in any decent fridge too

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭11521323

A country cannot function based solely on health advice either though so you're just as wrong in your approach.

A balanced approach is needed at this stage. "A few whiners and cry babies" - get a grip will you, so out of touch with reality it's scary.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭LessOutragePlz

11521323 wrote: »
    A country cannot function based solely on health advice either though so you're just as wrong in your approach.

A balanced approach is needed at this stage. "A few whiners and cry babies" - get a grip will you, so out of touch with reality it's scary.

Really telling that those that even question the restrictions or seek to debate them are labelled as "whiners and cry babies".

They have no legitimate response to any of the above so they have to resort to name calling.

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭darem93

Hold firm
    I have genuinely never hated two words as much in my life as I hate these.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Really telling that those that even question the restrictions or seek to debate them are labelled as "whiners and cry babies".

They have no legitimate response to any of the above so they have to resort to name calling.

Legitimate response sans name calling:

Case numbers are much higher than this time last year and they continue to rise. Our vaccination program (while progressing well) is not yet at the stage where we should be reducing restrictions.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement