Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part X *Read OP For Mod Warnings*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭Sobit1964

Meanwhile this week in Belarus

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Locotastic

Sobit1964 wrote: »

Wow, not even a mask in sight!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,167 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

If they don't release an actual plan tonight, the government have failed to do even the bare minimum in my mind. No more "just hang in there", "few more weeks", "all in this together" nonsense. Give us a ****ing timeline already. Its really not that hard to do...BoJo and co did weeks ago, and we commonly think they are completely useless at their jobs.
    • If X numbers of ICU and Hospitalizations by 15th April, lvl4
    • If Y numbers of ICU and Hospitalizations by 15th May, lvl3
    • etc... etc...
    Leave in the asterisk to say if numbers rise, things are delayed, but at least give people some indication that you are even slightly competent at your jobs. You've had a year to put something together ffs.

It's really not that ****ing hard! :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Natterjack from Kerry

Locotastic wrote: »
    If you read that you'll see the word 'may' is mentioned eight times. 'Suggest' and 'estimated' peppered throughout the article too.

Also, from the article you linked to:

"It’s important to note that most of the research characterising the new variants has been published as “preprints”, which means that the studies have not yet gone through the usual peer review and journal publication process".

So do you have an actual source that says variants ARE 50% more transmissible? If people are to be scaremongered about variants I'll need a little more than they May be more infectious.

Sure.

https://science.sciencemag.org/content/early/2021/03/03/science.abg3055

More up to date. 50% may be on the low side even. But regardless of the number precision, whether its 46% or 53% or whatever, its r0 is significantly higher. You hardly need me to Google 'exponential' for you too at this stage.

I got a nifty number 2 buzz cut a week before Christmas, now I look like John Waters twin. I'd certainly get a lift if they reopened. Having the wife wield a clippers this weekend coming is not something I look forward too.

If you have a clippers and all you want is a buzz cut there is no need to even get the wife to do it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭11521323

The sneaky way they've positioned this so that they get an extra few weeks without easing anything significant is sickening.

We've been in level 5 for 3 months already and now they're going to phase in even the most modest of restrictions? What a bunch of cowardly rats.

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭FlubberJones

The clueless fools in charge just gave themselves more time to do do very little, it doesn't make sense

• Closed Accounts Posts: 556 ✭✭✭shtpEdthePlum

Lol you all think something good is going to happen later.

I don't know why I said lol, this all sucks massive balls.

But seriously, don't get your hopes up. Travel within county maybe by mid April, GAA so they can spread within the dressing room, maybe tennis, no golf because that's unpopular now, no fishing because it doesn't make the exchequer any money.

They have compliance to a degree now so they think they can mess with us. After tonight's disappointment trying to control the population will be impossible and this time literally everyone will just start to ignore the restrictions. I was out yesterday and everywhere was completely mobbed.

Who can blame us after this absolute shambles of a year. The sight of mehole sends me into convulsions. And don't even get me started on the other one. The ineptitude and flailing is pathetic. Their captive audience is no longer paying attention or remaining in place.

Screw them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Multipass

Penfailed wrote: »
    It's a 78.5 square kilometre area. Imprisoned?

Thanks for that, I’m leaving my one and only road to trample through all the neighbouring farms - I’m sure the landowners will be just thrilled to see me explore my 78.5 square kms

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,298 ✭✭✭facehugger99

The only two things this Government of sniveling cowards excel at, is kicking the can down the road and borrowing tens of billions of euros on our behalf to fund the kicking.

And yet they can go further than 5km from their houses - its getting laughable when a dictatorship demonstrates more normality than the omnishambles thats Ireland. Thanks for adding to my point.

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭FlubberJones

Killiney beach yesterday, families meeting all over the place, and surely the 5km restrictions were not being adhered to as there's no way they all live close to there... Personally I was glad to see it, simply reinforces my notion that the government have lost the room and people have realised the "leaders" are HOPELESS

• Registered Users Posts: 18,222 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Of which 95% or more is private farmland or private houses and gardens or private business property etc. I've seen this 78.5 sq km nonsense thrown around a few times and it's the stupidest thing I've seen in a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,211 ✭✭✭LineOfBeauty

11521323 wrote: »
    The sneaky way they've positioned this so that they get an extra few weeks without easing anything significant is sickening.

We've been in level 5 for 3 months already and now they're going to phase in even the most modest of restrictions? What a bunch of cowardly rats.

3 months, really since like October (?) so we're coming up on nearly 7 months with a 3 week break (in which we had barely begun before they told us we'd all be going straight into lockdown before NYE). All the while they continued on without a plan and then have the neck to ask for more from the people. We've given up over a year of our lives, they've had a year to create a working plan and their only answer is long, rolling lockdowns that have become ineffective on a fatigued nation.

And yet they can go further than 5km from their houses - its getting laughable when a dictatorship demonstrates more normality than the omnishambles thats Ireland. Thanks for adding to my point.

Seems like a large portion of the thread have the hard on for a certain type of populist authoritarian alright

"there is an easy answer to everything and its always someone else's fault - now lets makes a list of who to blame so we can easily identify them"

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭RGS

Kiith wrote: »
    If they don't release an actual plan tonight, the government have failed to do even the bare minimum in my mind. No more "just hang in there", "few more weeks", "all in this together" nonsense. Give us a ****ing timeline already. Its really not that hard to do...BoJo and co did weeks ago, and we commonly think they are completely useless at their jobs.
    • If X numbers of ICU and Hospitalizations by 15th April, lvl4
    • If Y numbers of ICU and Hospitalizations by 15th May, lvl3
    • etc... etc...
    Leave in the asterisk to say if numbers rise, things are delayed, but at least give people some indication that you are even slightly competent at your jobs. You've had a year to put something together ffs.

It's really not that ****ing hard! :mad:

It is if your a politician with the "smarts" of our lot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 556 ✭✭✭shtpEdthePlum

What did they expect to happen at Christmas when people were effectively told they'd better get in all their enjoyment in that week because afterwards is going to be different.
    They are complete morons.

Personally I saw the people in my bubble at Christmas and I've only seen them once since because we're hyper paranoid about the new strains and I'm being made go into work (in my government job, when I could feasibly wfh all the time).

Seems like a large portion of the thread have the hard on for a certain type of populist authoritarian alright

"there is an easy answer to everything and its always someone else's fault - now lets makes a list of who to blame so we can easily identify them"

I'm not the one advocating house arrest, closures of private business, document checks on the roads, fines for gathering in groups or undertaking peaceful demonstrations or snooping and reporting on neighbors.

But sure attempt to throw in the 'alt-right' - again - it makes you look silly.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

I'm seething lads.

People have even been on TV now saying we need to be given some leeway. There's only talk of extending travel in mid April!

**** me, we're gonna be in level 5 for half of this year at this rate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭TonyMaloney

Jesus, that looks awful. Those poor people

Jesus, that looks awful. Those poor people

Forced to do it against their will :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,636 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

If you have a clippers and all you want is a buzz cut there is no need to even get the wife to do it.

I'm, not sure about that, I took the clippers to myself yesterday and my wife fairly quickly pointed out the longer patches on the back of my head once she got home.

Results may vary based on quality of clippers and access to mirrors.

I'm not the one advocating house arrest, closures of private business, document checks on the roads, fines for gathering in groups or undertaking peaceful demonstrations or snooping and reporting on neighbors.

But sure attempt to throw in the 'alt-right' - again - it makes you look silly.

You said alt right, not me. Bit sensitive?

Populists advocating easy answers and personalising the blame are what I am talking about.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

It's a crude tactic to manage the movement of people. It's also a rationalisation that really doesn't work for a lot of people I'm afraid and most of that area is likely to be completely unusable to you. The imprisonment is the sense of there being places nor far outside of the zone where people can go without adding to risks.

You said alt right, not me. Bit sensitive?

Populists advocating easy answers and personalising the blame are what I am talking about.

Dont be a silly billy - its very clear what dog whistle you are slobbering on.

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Locotastic

Sure.

https://science.sciencemag.org/content/early/2021/03/03/science.abg3055

More up to date. 50% may be on the low side even. But regardless of the number precision, whether its 46% or 53% or whatever, its r0 is significantly higher. You hardly need me to Google 'exponential' for you too at this stage.

Again, estimated or it is thought that.

Also, even IF it is more transmissible, very importantly from that article:

The increased transmissibility model does not identify a clear increase or decrease in the severity of disease associated with VOC 202012/01, finding similar odds of hospitalisation.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,979 ✭✭✭✭JRant

It's not populist to want your civil liberties back. Anyone with more than 2 brain cells to rub together understands we have a highly transmissible virus circulating. We also know the cohort that is mostly affected by it. Yet, here we are, a year in and there is no semblance of a plan.

Honestly Rains, is it too much to ask of the government to put an outline together of possible milestones that can lead from one level to another? I think you would agree that's the bare minimum we should be getting, regardless of anyone's position on restrictions. The vaccine program is already starting to ramp up, ICU and hospital numbers keep falling, yet we have the exact same restrictions as when we had 6,000 cases a day and 2000 in hospital.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

I'm, not sure about that, I took the clippers to myself yesterday and my wife fairly quickly pointed out the longer patches on the back of my head once she got home.

Results may vary based on quality of clippers and access to mirrors.

The mistake people make is that they its believe a quick 3 min run over and job done. A small bit of care and attention is all that is needed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,750 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

Hellrazer wrote: »
    So do the Garda work for the government or do the government work for the Garda?

This checkpoint could be located on a slip road to minimise disruption and still have the desired effect - keeping us locked down and pissing people off who are trying to get home is just making the populace get more annoyed.

He’s not entirely wrong, it’s effectively the separation of powers. The government can propose draft and enact legislation etc, but the guards themselves decide what laws to enforce.

There are plenty of laws that don’t get policed but are in the statute book. In the case of the 5km etc.... it’s something the guards themselves have chosen to enforce (not the individual guard at the checkpoint, but the big boys in suits).

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement