Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part X *Read OP For Mod Warnings*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭ypres5

Sobit1964 wrote: »
    https://www.thejournal.ie/denmark-reopening-covid-5389008-Mar2021/

The Danish are going to reopen most things when everyone over 50 is vaccinated. Sensible.

But don't they know about the new variants???

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭LameBeaver

No, the teacher did not have an actual hose. I don’t need the poster to spell that out, and most other people here seem to be linguistically adept enough to have understood the meaning.

The process otherwise is similar to what I see when I drop my offspring off.

Chief.

Really? And yet another poster has a completely different experience.

Strange that isn`t it chief?

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Natterjack from Kerry

scamalert wrote: »
    the worst thing is its not only Ireland, but almost every country globally is partaking in same scheme :cool:

This observation must surely trigger in some Outraged of the Internet merchants, the realisation that since so many countries and experts agree so consistently on how to handle the pandemic - surely suggests the experts are right, and that those with no scientific background in the matter, are wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Natterjack from Kerry

I’ve long since come to the conclusion that NPHET and the government don’t know what they are doing.

Never was it more emphasised than a few weeks ago when Philip Nolan came in on a Monday and told us all we were in a great place. A few days later he came back and said we were in a precarious position.

He was asked a question on Monday about how he saw the numbers going in the next few weeks and replied that he had no idea.
    Its only the likes of some boards poster who expect certainty and hold to their viewpoint regardless of the evidence presented to them.

That sums up the whole carry on.

Scientists change their answers, as rational people, according to the evidence at a given point in time. Unlike many boards poster who cling to a claim for ever no matter the evidence presented to them.
    Fortunately its the first group that is advising the government.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭the kelt

LameBeaver wrote: »
    Really? And yet another poster has a completely different experience.

Strange that isn`t it chief?

Are you actually trying to make a point or just here trying to wind people up to get a reaction?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭normanoffside

I see the muppets are out in force on Social media going for their free Covid Tests when they have nothing wrong with them.
    These are the same people giving out about people meeting up and saying they will cause the lockdown to be extended.
    They are now actually the ones that will cause it to be extended.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,228 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Sobit1964 wrote: »
    https://www.thejournal.ie/denmark-reopening-covid-5389008-Mar2021/

The Danish are going to reopen most things when everyone over 50 is vaccinated. Sensible.

Denmark extends pause of AstraZeneca vaccine for three weeks

I wonder how will that effect what was a pretty ambitious timeline?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭TonyMaloney

I see the muppets are out in force on Social media going for their free Covid Tests when they have nothing wrong with them.
    These are the same people giving out about people meeting up and saying they will cause the lockdown to be extended.

By getting tested and isolating?

Please show your workings

By getting tested and isolating?

Please show your workings

Review on Monday.
    More cases = more lockdown

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭LameBeaver

How do you or more importantly they know they have nothing wrong with them unless they are tested? They could be asymptomatic .

• Advertisement

Review on Monday.
    More cases = more lockdown

That is some epic tin foil hattery.

Boggles wrote: »
    That is some epic tin foil hattery.

So 'cases' detected in these centres which will feed into the numbers over the weekend will be ignored.
    Is that what you are saying?
    If we get an extra few thousand cases announced before Monday that would have no effect on the restrictions being eased next week?

Every case is passing it on to on average just over 1 more person currently. Catch 10 people early, that's 10 less cases next week, catch 100 people early, that's 100 less cases next week, and so on.

In no world is the identification of as high a proportion of those who have the virus as possible as early as possible a bad thing

• Registered Users Posts: 6,731 ✭✭✭Allinall

So 'cases' detected in these centres which will feed into the numbers over the weekend will be ignored.
    If we get an extra few thousand cases announced before Monday that would have no effect on the restrictions being eased next week?

By that logic, we could stop testing altogether, and have zero cases.

How do you think that would work out?

The centres have a capacity of 500 odd tests a day, that's 12,000 odd by Monday.

Do you think there will be 3,000+ positives from that?

25%+, if that happens we are in big trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭RobitTV

Newstalk: Ryanair boss Michael O'Leary says he believes people from the Republic of Ireland will use Belfast 'as a means of escaping' this June

Michael O'Leary has said he expects countries across Europe to stop 'locking people down' from June.

"There's a 24-hour news cycle at the moment feeding all this hysteria - we're still only in the middle of March, and I think the situation will have changed markedly by the time we get to June/July/August".

On the new routes from Belfast, he said: "We think a lot of people from the Republic of Ireland are going to use these flights as a means of escaping to Portugal, Greece and Italy in the earlier part of the summer - even while Ireland's vaccine programme lags considerably behind the success of the UK programme".

Newstalk

• Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭the kelt

Every case is passing it on to on average just over 1 more person currently. Catch 10 people early, that's 10 less cases next week, catch 100 people early, that's 100 less cases next week, and so on.

In no world is the identification of as high a proportion of those who have the virus as early as possible a bad thing

Yes thats true.

WHich is why mass testing of everyone would be a good idea, but apparently with these centres no u16's are to be tested even if their parents give their permission.

Seeing as the government and NPHET have as one of their main remits being keeping the schools open it would make sense to allow u16's to be tested.

Schools are one of the few places now where people are gathering indoors etc etc so identifying cases in that age group early would surely make sense.

There are not symptomatic people, they are not close contacts. There will be a low positivity rate in those who present themselves for testing. A few thousand extra cases would require 100s of thousands of tests. Do you think that's likely?

What it will actually do is drive the positive rate down.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,397 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

RobitTV wrote: »
    Newstalk: Ryanair boss Michael O'Leary says he believes people from the Republic of Ireland will use Belfast 'as a means of escaping' this June

Michael O'Leary has said he expects countries across Europe to stop 'locking people down' from June.

"There's a 24-hour news cycle at the moment feeding all this hysteria - we're still only in the middle of March, and I think the situation will have changed markedly by the time we get to June/July/August".

On the new routes from Belfast, he said: "We think a lot of people from the Republic of Ireland are going to use these flights as a means of escaping to Portugal, Greece and Italy in the earlier part of the summer - even while Ireland's vaccine programme lags considerably behind the success of the UK programme".

Newstalk

He will be proven right

• Registered Users Posts: 7,859 ✭✭✭growleaves

We flattened the supply curve.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭TonyMaloney

Newstalk

O'Leary should probably listen to what the UK gov are currently saying about foreign travel this summer.
    https://www.forbes.com/sites/alexledsom/2021/03/23/brits-told-international-travel-unlikely-in-summer-2021-uk-stocks-tumble/?sh=169c5088363f

As things stand, people from Belfast are more likely to travel to Dublin. Though that could of course change.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

Why can’t u vote in the poll ? And results are hidden? Is it censorship cause it’s not the answer rte n government want to see?

There are not symptomatic people, they are not close contacts. There will be a low positivity rate in those who present themselves for testing. A few thousand extra cases would require 100s of thousands of tests. Do you think that's likely?

What it will actually do is drive the positive rate down.

There was 100 tests carried out by midday across all 5 centers.

Glynn will have to get creative with the maths.

3000% positive rate and pretend no one notices?

• Registered Users Posts: 38,461 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

The way Leo is talking about Variant

I can't see NPHET been anyway kind in there recommendations for the relaxing of restrictions

Christmas ****ing us over again as the government are to scared to put it up to NPHET

Boggles wrote: »
    There was 100 tests carried out by midday across all 5 centers.

Glynn will have to get creative with the maths.

3000% positive rate and pretend no one notices?

It not pleasant getting a tiny bottle brush shoved up into you sinus cavity. Those who present themselves for this testing will by and large be those with genuine reasons - have a requirement to see a vulnerable person and what to be certain in advance, feel they were excluded form contact tracing incorrectly, have symptoms that dont qualify for a test but need to know for sure for work purposes and even some who are planning to break some restrictions, but in the most responsible way.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭RobitTV

Interesting results from the most recent Journal.ie poll

Should the 5km limit be eased next week?
    • Yes, scrap it altogether - 37.6%
    • Yes, change to county-wide or regional restrictions - 33.4%
    • Yes, increase it to 20km - 15.8%
    • No, wait until the situation has improved - 13.2%

Adding the top three categories together - 86.8% are in favour of relaxing the 5km restriction in some form, and 13.2% are against the idea.

71% in the top two categories are in favour of scrapping the limit altogether or changing it to county-wide or regional restrictions.

Journal.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 3,440 ✭✭✭Tork

fin12 wrote: »
    Why can’t u vote in the poll ? And results are hidden? Is it censorship cause it’s not the answer rte n government want to see?

Have you never seen a poll with the results hidden on boards before?

If you genuinely think that this is censorship, maybe it's time to take a step back from these threads for a while.

Interesting results from the most recent Journal.ie poll

Should the 5km limit be eased next week?
    • Yes, scrap it altogether - 37.6%
    • Yes, change to county-wide or regional restrictions - 33.4%
    • Yes, increase it to 20km - 15.8%
    • No, wait until the situation has improved - 13.2%

Adding the top three categories together - 86.8% are in favour of relaxing the 5km restriction in some form, and 13.2% are against the idea.

71% in the top two categories are in favour of scrapping the limit altogether or changing it to county-wide or regional restrictions.

Journal.ie

62% are in favour on maintaining some limits.

It all depends what way you look at it.

Me, I would actually be in favour of no distance limits. The 5km is for exercise only anyway, and if you go 5 or 50km makes no real difference. You can go as far as you need for essential purposes as it is

• Registered Users Posts: 22 badger54

It not pleasant getting a tiny bottle brush shoved up into you sinus cavity. Those who present themselves for this testing will by and large be those with genuine reasons - have a requirement to see a vulnerable person and what to be certain in advance, feel they were excluded form contact tracing incorrectly, have symptoms that dont qualify for a test but need to know for sure for work purposes and even some who are planning to break some restrictions, but in the most responsible way.

Got tested at one of the centres today. No symptoms, no close contacts but I'd like to know and I believe that the more testing, the more data the better.

Centre was well organised. The nasal swab itself wasn't even mildly uncomfortable. I literally felt nothing.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭themacattack.

Newstalk
    alot of people give out about micheal o leary but i like the way he cuts through the mustard and says what alot of people are thinking...hopefully his predictions prove right...i dont doubt that what he says about europe not locking people down after june being absolutley possible but my fear is that governments and especially our own shower of plebs will decide that travel is best left till the end of the summer

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement