Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part X *Read OP For Mod Warnings*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,895 ✭✭✭JDxtra

If they are testing huge numbers of random asymptomatic people, then case numbers are no longer a useful measurement to gauge our progress.

This is very important because they WILL use these increased numbers to justify continued restrictions.

The only stats that matter are how many have been vaccinated and how many in hospital and ICU.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,771 ✭✭✭hynesie08

paw patrol wrote: »
    I have this feeling - pure conjuncture on my part - the current situation pleases Leo. He becomes Taoiseach soon enough and opens up everything.

Then while basking in our adulation - as this centuries Michael Collins - he tells us it was all Mehole and he saved us from ruin.

Anybody who thinks that sounds far fetched? You havent paid attention cos that's Varadkar to T.

He's not due to be Taoiseach till the end of 2022....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

the kelt wrote: »
    Yes thats true.

WHich is why mass testing of everyone would be a good idea, but apparently with these centres no u16's are to be tested even if their parents give their permission.

Seeing as the government and NPHET have as one of their main remits being keeping the schools open it would make sense to allow u16's to be tested.

Schools are one of the few places now where people are gathering indoors etc etc so identifying cases in that age group early would surely make sense.

And that's quite telling. I'd been wondering how this was going to affect the narrative of schools being safe if people were able to get their kids tested. Obviously they're not taking any chances with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭TonyMaloney

big syke wrote: »
    People got tested for HIV becasue they had reason to believe they may have it.

i.e. may have slept with someone who got it, came in contact with a needle etc etc

Asymptomatic testing for covid like this is a waste of resources.

No, many people get tested for HIV because they've simply been sexually active for a period. I've done so. Negative, thanks for asking.

And in the case of the new walk in covid tests, people who feel they were literally a close contact of a case but didn't meet the HSE criteria can go for a test.

So you're wrong on both counts.

I'd like to see them expand it for people with minor symptoms. Like people who have a bit of a sore throat but **** all else. I think they're the riskier cohort than the asymptomatic/presymptomatic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭themacattack.

Multipass wrote: »
    Varadkar is quoted in the news today as saying that the virus has mutated and is ‘more deadly’.
    I have never seen any evidence of any of the variants being more deadly, how does no-one challenge him on the scaremongering. They’re scraping the bottom now trying to dig up ways to control the population with fear. They should know that it undermines anything else they say, I don’t believe a word that comes out of any of their mouths at this stage.
    didnt micheal martin say that it was a "new" virus we were dealing with as well...nearly spat my tea out when i heard that one...they should really let WHO and the rest of the world know about their amazing discoveries but i suppose its out there on the internet if any of them were so inclined as to follow the gospel according to micheal martin and chums

• Advertisement

Varadkar is quoted in the news today as saying that the virus has mutated and is ‘more deadly’.
    I have never seen any evidence of any of the variants being more deadly, how does no-one challenge him on the scaremongering. They’re scraping the bottom now trying to dig up ways to control the population with fear. They should know that it undermines anything else they say, I don’t believe a word that comes out of any of their mouths at this stage.

Just because you've yet to see evidence of something, it doesn't mean that the evidence doesn't exist.

And in this particular case, there is mounting evidence from numerous studies in numerous countries that suggests that B117 is indeed more deadly.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,878 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Renault 5 wrote: »
    It’s gotten to the stage where I despise the Government.

In my 40 years I never thought I would feel this way about the people in charge of looking after the country.

2008 didn’t even match up to the feelings I have towards them.

I don’t despise them but I’m getting increasingly indifferent to them(and the whole oireachtas actually) and NPHET who I’m sure have the best of intentions, they aren’t very good at communicating them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Multipass

didnt micheal martin say that it was a "new" virus we were dealing with as well...nearly spat my tea out when i heard that one...they should really let WHO and the rest of the world know about their amazing discoveries but i suppose its out there on the internet if any of them were so inclined as to follow the gospel according to micheal martin and chums

‘It is equivalent to a new virus, almost’
    :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭paw patrol

hynesie08 wrote: »
    He's not due to be Taoiseach till the end of 2022....

only 2 weeks of flattening the curve to go so :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭daydorunrun

The walk in centres only work for the overall good of society if case numbers are no longer the only metric used by Gov/NEPHT to decide on lockdowns. There are too many grey areas in what constitutes a case when past infection (therefore no longer infectious) can show up as a current positive case.

it would be a good tool as we open up and people can use it to ensure they are clear before visiting others who are vulnerable etc.

“You tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, never try.” Homer.

• Advertisement

The walk in centres only work for the overall good of society if case numbers are no longer the only metric used by Gov/NEPHT to decide on lockdowns. There are too many grey areas in what constitutes a case when past infection (therefore no longer infectious) can show up as a current positive case.

it would be a good tool as we open up and people can use it to ensure they are clear before visiting others who are vulnerable etc.

Case numbers have never been the only metric used to decide on restrictions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭Renault 5

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    I don’t despise them but I’m getting increasingly indifferent to them(and the whole oireachtas actually) and NPHET who I’m sure have the best of intentions, they aren’t very good at communicating them.

I don’t blame NPHET

They were given an unrestricted National media platform all to themselves and jumped at the chance to project their biased agenda directly to the public.

They now have amazing influence in dividing opinion in the country where the people who have actual responsibility to steer the country are walking on egg shells around NPHET.

I would have thought the correct approach was for NPHET to inform the Government and the Government to inform the public.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 315 ✭✭Akesh

paw patrol wrote: »
    I have this feeling - pure conjuncture on my part - the current situation pleases Leo. He becomes Taoiseach soon enough and opens up everything.

Then while basking in our adulation - as this centuries Michael Collins - he tells us it was all Mehole and he saved us from ruin.

Anybody who thinks that sounds far fetched? You havent paid attention cos that's Varadkar to T.
    No, it doesn't sound far fetched because once this is all done the same curtain twitchers who are looking for more restrictions will be the same people complaining about the economy and taxes once the hysteria of Covid has dissipated.

That leaves government blaming each other for this disaster.

The real problem is half the electorate who will swallow whatever hysterical nonsense they are told.

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭daydorunrun

They seem to be the only show in town now.

“You tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, never try.” Homer.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,458 ✭✭✭celt262

Akesh wrote: »

The real problem is half the electorate who will swallow whatever hysterical nonsense they are told.

And the other half whatever bile Mary Lou and Co peddle out.

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭Pitch n Putt

They seem to be the only show in town now.

Ah remember the days when we were worried/concerned with 10 or 12 cases a day.

Oh what a cautious bunch we have running the show.

Second Summer approaching and it’s worse they’re getting.

Dump the stupid case counting and get the god dam country open you fools.

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭RGS

Leo stating in the dail there wont be a 6 week plan announced on Tuesday.

The reason "Cant give a plan that might be changed."
    So t's back to the hope for the best approach.

We are led by muppets.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,987 ✭✭✭normanoffside

Allinall wrote: »
    By that logic, we could stop testing altogether, and have zero cases.

How do you think that would work out?

I'd be all in favour of that.
    If you are really sick and need to see a doctor or go to Hospital they can test you anyway.
    Otherwise if you feel unwell stay at home until you feel better and stop this nonsense of testing people who feel fine.

Now that most of the vulnerable and Health care workers are vaccinated or mostly vaccinated this strategy will work fine.

Just because we've already done something a certain way does not mean ti is always the right way.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,214 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

Eh, yes.

HIV. Without asymptomatic testing for HIV the scale of the global AIDS crisis would have been much, much larger.

Did you have a problem with asymptomatic testing for HIV, or is it just this particular global epidemic where you'd like us to ignore the infected?

If a person had never had sex, used intravenous drugs or been exposed to any of the other methods of transmission for HIV, it would be a bit silly of them to be getting tested for it wouldn't it?

Similarly, a person with absolutely zero symptoms and no contact history has no reason to be tested for covid.

To add, there is no convincing evidence for true asymptomatic spread of covid and for it being a major transmission vector. In fact, studies suggest the opposite. For example, china contact traced millions of people and found no evidence of it. At all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭themacattack.

RGS wrote: »

We are led by muppets.

muppets is too polite at this stage....we deserve better than this after 12 months...leo thinks no plan is better than a plan that might have to be altered....they are really gearing us up for a damp squib announcement on tuesday...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭0lddog

The walk in centres only work for the overall good of society if case numbers are no longer the only metric used by Gov/NEPHT......

Where did you get this idea ?

For example, walk in testing was key to getting control of the Santa Cruz / La Laguna hotspot

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

We are led by muppets.

Yet last year they launched a 6 month plan that they spent a month telling us in advance was going to solve everything, then ripped it up immediately.

At this stage if Leo told me it was raining outside I'd throw on a t-shirt and shorts.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,876 ✭✭✭Russman

‘It is equivalent to a new virus, almost’
    :pac:

From the BBC news site....

Angela Merkel:
    Essentially, we have a new virus," Chancellor Merkel said when announcing the now-cancelled Easter lockdown.
    The highly contagious UK (Kent) variant of coronavirus had become dominant, she explained, plunging the country into "a new pandemic".
    "It is much deadlier, much more infectious and infectious for much longer," she claimed, adding Germany was in a race against time to vaccinate against Covid-19.

Maybe she’s in on it too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭0lddog

Exactly. Its hard not to believe that minimizing impact on large companies is the main driver :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

We are led by muppets.

I thought better of Leo than this. He is being completely unfair and ridiculous. Don’t give people a plan, well then don’t be surprised when they make their own.

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭RGS

Listening to a few walk ins at tullamore.

I believe some think it's a walk in vaccine centre.

One lady with asthma who indicated she has been cocooning for the last year was attending.

WHY.

If she was cocooning how the hell could she have contracted covid.

I'd be all in favour of that.
    If you are really sick and need to see a doctor or go to Hospital they can test you anyway.
    Otherwise if you feel unwell stay at home until you feel better and stop this nonsense of testing people who feel fine.

Now that most of the vulnerable and Health care workers are vaccinated or mostly vaccinated this strategy will work fine.

Just because we've already done something a certain way does not mean ti is always the right way.

This thread would be fun -
    “sure there is only 200 cases a day, wasn’t there 600 last month”
    “But they are all detected because they were admitted to hospital because of their condition”
    “La la la la I’m not listening, Nphet nazis, with Covid not from Covid”

When no contact tracing was in place and only those with symptoms were getting tested we had 6000 cases a day and 2000 in hospital

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭lee_baby_simms

I got my free Covid test today.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,876 ✭✭✭Russman

I thought better of Leo than this. He is being completely unfair and ridiculous. Don’t give people a plan, well then don’t be surprised when they make their own.

Yep, they really should give, even an indicative framework of how they see it currently playing out over the next few weeks. Maybe even a best case, middle case and worse case matrix or something. Even fill it with caveats in the small print like the Uk did, but publish something for people to focus on.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 146 ✭✭Neagra

https://www.rte.ie/news/investigations-unit/2021/0324/1205962-department-of-health-dossiers-children-autism/

this is the crowd we are supposed to trust and also believe everything they say
    anyone who thinks this lockdown is doing anything but damaging our children and our economy are either

A) in denial or
    B) the lockdown has been good for them personally

There is no other choice

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement