Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Feed for - hedges

Options
  • 25-03-2021 8:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,880 ✭✭✭

Hi all just wondering is there anything you would recommend a feed that I could pick up to throw around the roots if established hedges - all growing - in about two years just to assist maximise growth thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭krissovo

I swear by sea weed fertilizer, I started a hedge 9 years ago and gave a few sprinkles of pellets to every plant each spring and it established and thickened out really quickly. The rule book states that slow release is best but I found that any feed makes an impact. When I feed my grass I also go quite close to my hedge-line so it gets an extra boost once a year

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

I suppose chicken manure pellets would work as well

• Registered Users Posts: 3,428 ✭✭✭macraignil

Hedge plants are deep rooted and should be able to find sufficient nutrients in most soils. If you apply fertilisers to feed the hedge you more than likely will just boost the shallow rooted weeds at the base of the hedge so they grow more vigorously and compete more with your hedge plants for available resources in the soil. If you want to boost your hedge, rip out grass and other unwanted plants from the base of your hedge plants and apply a mulch when the ground is wet to conserve moisture and reduce further weed competition, is what I would recommend.

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭dubbrin

I have spare sand from some other work. Would this have a similar effect to a mulch?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,428 ✭✭✭macraignil

dubbrin wrote: »
    I have spare sand from some other work. Would this have a similar effect to a mulch?

A mulch is usually material that will cover soil to make it more difficult for weeds to grow through but sand would provide little resistance to anything growing through it so I don't think it would be much good as a mulch.

If you have somewhere sunny and like Mediterranean type herbs like thyme, rosemary, sage or lavender or alpine flowers you could use the sand to mix in with soil and compost to create an area of free draining ground for these types of plants that appreciate these conditions. It also would be good for a potting mix for these types of plants in containers.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 48 uiolfg

Thanks very much for this.

Advertisement