Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TRITON TX8500i: Red light on wall switch goes off when shower unit turn on.

Options
  • 25-03-2021 11:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭

Hi there

Our shower unit TRITON TX8500i has a power switch on the wall outside the bathroom.

When the power switch is 'turned on' and the shower unit is in STOP mode, the red led light is lightening.

However, when the shower unit is switch on, the red led light flicks off.

Any suggestions please?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Here is the switch and shower unit. Apologies for photos lying down.

• Site Banned Posts: 59 ✭✭Tredstone.

You'll need to check it checked basically

Not much you can do yourself

Tredstone. wrote: »
    You'll need to check it checked basically

Not much you can do yourself

Thanks. I had installed the fuse switch before as it burnt.

Looks like this problem is coming from the shower unit. As when I bring it back up to the STOP position the red light goes back on.

Who be better for me to contact, electrician or plumber?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,107 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Your shower is obsolete now with no available parts as far as I remember.

Hard to say for sure without being there but it doesn't sound like the shower is at fault. I would think that the issue is with the RCBO at the fuse box or more likely the isolation switch outside the bathroom. I'd suggest getting an electrician

Sleeper12 wrote: »

Hard to say for sure without being there but it doesn't sound like the shower is at fault. I would think that the issue is with the RCBO at the fuse box or more likely the isolation switch outside the bathroom. I'd suggest getting an electrician

Thanks

There is power going to the isolation switch outside the bathroom. It flickers off when shower is turned on. Flickers back on when shower is put back to STOP position again.

There have been no tripping on the main fuse box.

I'm based in Limerick City. Hoping to source a suitable electrician. Any suggestions?

• Advertisement

YFlyer wrote:
    I'm based in Limerick City. Hoping to source a suitable electrician. Any suggestions?

Sorry I can't help you with this. Maybe one of the electricians from here might PM you. I would turn off the fuse /trip switch to the shower to eliminate the chance of an electrical shower

• Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭meercat

Yes. I’d agree. A loose/burnt out neutral somewhere on the circuit

meercat wrote: »
    Yes. I’d agree. A loose/burnt out neutral somewhere on the circuit

Thanks. Much appreciated.

I have installed the isolation switch about two year ago as previous one 'burnt' and red switch wouldn't even move.

This would save me fortune, even with paying an electrician.

Getting a plumber to install a new electric shower that are upto €250. He would have to pull out some shower tiles as well. That would all add up.

YFlyer wrote: »
    Thanks. Much appreciated.

I have installed the isolation switch about two year ago as previous one 'burnt' and red switch wouldn't even move.

This would save me fortune, even with paying an electrician.

Getting a plumber to install a new electric shower that are upto €250. He would have to pull out some shower tiles as well. That would all add up.

It's prob gone again, best get a Rec

What happens is the DIY replacement isn't done properly, they go again

It's prob gone again, best get a Rec

What happens is the DIY replacement isn't done properly, they go again

Thanks. I'll get an electrician and buy a new isolation switch for him to install.

• Advertisement

Thanks. I'll get an electrician and buy a new isolation switch for him to install.

What happens is the burnt wires get screwed back in loosely to the replacement isolator and they go again

Squashing the switch back into the box can cause problems too

Cheap isolators from the DIY stores is another issue

So a small job but a lot can go wrong

What happens is the burnt wires get screwed back in loosely to the replacement isolator and they go again

Squashing the switch back into the box can cause problems too

Cheap isolators from the DIY stores is another issue

So a small job but a lot can go wrong

Thanks for the information.

And of course last but not least is not to use the isolator,.leave it on

DFB and others disagree but I'm not seeing the potential for fire with the shower control in the off position

Maybe it's happened ,I dunno ?

Tredstone. wrote:
    DFB and others disagree but I'm not seeing the potential for fire with the shower control in the off position

Dublin fire officer recommends turning it off. This was after an electric shower went on fire with the shower off & no one in the bathroom. Having said that the fire officer also suggests not to use washing machine, dishwasher etc when you go to bed or when you leave the house

Dublin fire officer recommends turning it off. This was after an electric shower went on fire with the shower off & no one in the bathroom. Having said that the fire officer also suggests not to use washing machine, dishwasher etc when you go to bed or when you leave the house

I'd agree with the latter

• Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭meercat

I know the photo you’re trying to link. Can you try it again. Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭1874

Thanks. I had installed the fuse switch before as it burnt.

Looks like this problem is coming from the shower unit. As when I bring it back up to the STOP position the red light goes back on.

Who be better for me to contact, electrician or plumber?

You did what? am I the only person thinking this is out of place?

What is your electric shower powered/fed from in the consumer unit? (traditionally called the fuse box)

1874 wrote: »

What is your electric shower powered/fed from in the consumer unit? (traditionally called the fuse box)
    I assume fuse switch is a typo

Picture shows an isolator

Presumably there's also an RCBO or RCD at the distribution board

• Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭1874

I assume fuse switch is a typo

Picture shows an isolator

Presumably there's also an RCBO or RCD at the distribution board

I assumed they might have meant a fuse, thats what I was wondering, shower looks old, so maybe?? why I asked whats at the consumer unit, might be better to switch it off and not use it until it's looked at.

And of course last but not least is not to use the isolator,.leave it on

I have the shower control in the STOP position. Both isolation switch and circuit breaker off.

• Advertisement

1874 wrote: »

Apologies. Meant to say isolation switch.

I have the shower control in the STOP position. Both isolation switch and circuit breaker off.

As said that looks like an old shower unit that should prob be replaced

A potential hazard is faulty heater tanks and no RCD protection

I'd be checking main terminals for heat damage , IR resistance of heater tank

Zl and RCD test readings too

meercat wrote: »
    I know the photo you’re trying to link. Can you try it again. Cheers

https://extra.ie/2018/07/25/news/irish-news/electric-shower-fire-warning-dublin

I wonder what exactly happened ?

Is that unusual with the outlet on the left ?

Tredstone. wrote:
    Is that unusual with the outlet on the left ?

It's a very old mains fed shower. Because there is no pump the outlet can be on the left or right hand side.

We don't offer repairs on electric showers over 10 years old. It's not economical but more importantly the older it is the more likely it is to go on fire. I've seen a number of old showers go on fire. The heat from the element transfers to the cables feeding the element. Over time the cables can dry out and become more flammable

It's a very old mains fed shower. Because there is no pump the outlet can be on the left or right hand side.

We don't offer repairs on electric showers over 10 years old. It's not economical but more importantly the older it is the more likely it is to go on fire. I've seen a number of old showers go on fire. The heat from the element transfers to the cables feeding the element. Over time the cables can dry out and become more flammable

Presumably limescale and the elements then can't dissipate heat ?

Tank not hot enough to trigger TCO

Tredstone. wrote:
    Presumably limescale and the elements then can't dissipate heat ?

Tredstone. wrote:
    Tank not hot enough to trigger TCO

Yes. Limescale buildup. Most of the overheating damage is done when shower is powered off. You can can hear the water in the Heating can. Sounds like a kettle coming to the boil (kettling)

Update: a section of the isolation switch was burnt off. Replaced it with a new switch.

Working away now.

Thanks for all your help :)

Advertisement